365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch

+8
Dave P
John Kilpatrick
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
Mike MacLellan
healdgator
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch Empty Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 pm

The 18 week marathon training plan starts Monday, just it time to mess with the main source of enjoyment in my life (other than the family of course) - football season. Anyhow, the only way I will keep track of my training and stay focused on my goals and lessons I learned the last go round is through one of these blogs. It won't be exciting or technical, and it will likely include more bitching about what is sure to be crappy season for the Mighty Gators than running, but here it is in all its glory.

Since the main goal is to successfully complete a marathon in a competent way, I am going to start this thing with the report I wrote after the fiasco in Cincinnati. Hopefully, I won't just ignore the lessons I learned in that process, but it's hard to change who we are.

WARNING! THIS IS LONG!!

As you may have gathered, I researched the crap of this marathon thing.
That’s how I ended up here. I read Hal’s book (by far the best out there) and followed it here. I’ve learned a lot on this board and I felt like I was very well prepared for the Flying Pig, my first and possibly only marathon. My only concerns were
overtraining and my PF. The taper took care of the overtraining issues and the PF hadn’t really bothered me much
during my runs, so neither was a real concern.

I flew the girls up with me (wife Joy and daughers Maddie and Katie – 4 and 2) and we got adjoining rooms at the
spring hill suites right on the course at about mile 6.5. My dad and stepmom were scheduled to come up
for the weekend, and my sister was driving up from Lexington. I was really, really excited for this race.

First problem: my dad mixed up the race weekend. He thought it was a week later. They figured it out on their way to northern ohio to see my step grandparents (my stepmom’s dad is weeks away from dying, so they go up there
pretty regularly). I was a little upset b/c other people would have come, but they came down on Saturday evening so
that was fine. Instead, I just feel guilty that they cut their weekend with the grandparents short. I hit the expo on Saturday and talked to a guy about the pace teams. I decided to run with the 3:50 team and if I felt better, I could pick up the pace. I was really, really stressed out about the weather. (it’s relative, I don’t really get stressed out). I was concerned they were going to
cancel the race. I also realized Saturday night (2nd night at the hotel) that our room didn’t have a tub, so no ice bath after the race. I’m still paying for that.

I got up before 4 am, ate a banana and a bagel, drank 20 oz of water, a couple of bathroom stops and headed
to the race. I was at the stadium by 5 and got in a few more bathroom breaks, but I was pretty sure I would have to go
during the race. As others have noted by now, there were a couple of lightning strikes you could see from the area, but
they weren’t terribly close. Still, I checked my iPhone (yes, I carry it with me) and the radar was showing red
everywhere. I got to the starting line a little late, and couldn’t get to the 3:50 pace team, but I started out near the
4:00 team. I figured I would gradually reel the 3:50 team in b/c they weren’t that far ahead of where I started. It was a fairly steady rain for about 30 minutes or so after the race started, but frankly, the weather was perfect for running to me. If it rained after that, it wasn’t more than a drizzle.

My game plan was to go out pretty easy (high 8s to 9 min/miles) and slow down a little going up the 3 mile
hill. After that, I was going to try to pick up the pace a little and negative split my way into the 3:40s. I executed that plan pretty well for the first 13-14 miles. I was making it a point to drink at every water stop, though most of the water or Gatorade ended
up on my shirt or the ground. The crowds through downtown were phenomenal, I was impressed. I felt badly for one
young lady I passed. Her pants were falling down and she was having to pull them up every 25 yards or so. I hope she was running the half. That couldn’t have been easy. My first disappointment came when I passed the hotel and nobody came out to see me.
I wasn’t surprised the girls didn’t come out b/c they probably weren’t up yet (we don’t wake the kids up for anything), but I was disappointed nobody came out. I figured I wouldn’t see them until I got back to the hotel. (foreshadowing:
insult to injury category). But, miles were kind of flying by pretty easily and I felt good about my pacing. I was liking my chances at the low 3:50s when I picked up the pace slightly after the top of the hill. I must have had some trouble with tangents between the 2 mile mark and the 5 or 6 mile mark, b/c the garmin was about .25 miles ahead of the mile markers by that point.
I must have “run” the tangents really well from there on out. By the 11 or 12 mile mark, I had my average
pace down under 9:00 miles and I was still doing pretty well. At about mile 14, my stomach started to
bother me a little. In hindsight, I think I knew that something was wrong at about this time. My splits don’t show it, but I was starting to have doubts. At the 15.5 mile mark, I decided to hit the port o potty b/c I didn’t want to stop at mile 20+ when it
would be harder to get going again. I kept it brief, and it turned out to be unnecessary. However, I could not get going again, I
seemed to lose all my energy at that point. Factoring in the 1:45 break, the next two miles were still in the 9:10
range, but they were a real struggle. At about mile 16, the 4:00 team passed me (signaling that I had lost a couple of
minutes and, thus, my buffer with the 4 hour mark) and that was demoralizing. But by the 17 mile mark, I
was completely dead. That’s when I first stopped to walk, and I was pissed. Beyond pissed. I could not
believe that I crashed that early. The feeling of shame was very strong, along with the realization that I had 9 more
miles to go. (One positive, I raised $7k for St Jude and that was very uplifting. But at that moment I just felt like I was letting people down.) I ran more than I walked for the next 2 miles, but I ran less and less with each mile.
I made a point to run more than half of each mile for the next 5 or 6, but I really fell apart by mile 23.
After that, I was completely unable to run more than .1 at a time. Every time I would run, I would get
lightheaded and have trouble breathing. When I would slow to a walk, I would get really debilitating cramps in
my quads. It was all I could do to keep moving.

I forgot Natalie was working the 21 water stop, but frankly, I would have been too ashamed to say anything. I lied to the medical people at two of their tents and ran by the third to avoid answering questions. If I had stopped, I would not have
finished. The last 2 miles were even worse. The fans were great, but I wanted them to shut up. One guy did crack me up
and get me going when he shouted “come on Gators, some buckeyes are trying to catch you”. That worked for about 100
yards. When I got to within .5 of the finish line, I decided I had to run the rest. By this point, I was cramping even during the running parts. The last 50 yards, I was doing more of a stiff legged hobble then a run. I owe the people who finished right after me an apology, b/c once I crossed the finish line, I just stopped. Not intentionally, but I cramped so badly I literally couldn’t move. After initially declining a wheelchair, they made me get in one. To be honest, I was a little relieved when they diagnosed me with “severe dehydration”. Being stupid is better than being a wimp. I thought I was taking in enough fluids, though looking back at it, it should have been clear that I was dehydrated. I had read so many different people talk about the dangers of overhydration that I guess I didn’t take dehydration seriously enough. The nurse kind of freaked out when my bp measured 105/37, but the doctor said that was normal after I explained that my normal bp is about 105/65. (Another aside, my cousin got sent to the hospital after his second marathon for dehydration. There was no way in hell I was going to the hospital.). I turned on my phone and sent Joy a text that I had finished. She immediately called and I told her I was fine. She told me that they had all driven to the 24 mile mark and waited for about 40 minutes for me. When the 4:15 team went by, they figured I had done even better than expected. It meant a lot to me that they had tried, but it also disappointed me even more. They gave me a cot and about 4 bottles of water and Gatorade. Those cots are horribly uncomfortable, so I just sat there. My quads would twitch when the cramps would come, but I just got rehydrated and convinced them I was fine. I declined my dad’s offer to try to come and get me, but the walk back to the car was brutal as well. The last 2 days have been people trying to tell me I should be proud, but I’m not. I know my wife doesn’t want me to do another one, and I really don’t either at this point, but there is no way I can just let this be. I’m thinking fall 2011 for attempt 2. In the meantime, I’ll focus on a couple of halfs, try to break 20:00 for a 5k, and run the longer local runs (10ks to 10
milers). I’m still pissed, but I guess I will move on. I’m going to work on some lessons learned, and I may post that. Otherwise, I’m going to let this blog die. Thanks to all the contributors, I’ve learned a lot.

Last edited by healdgator on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch Empty Re: Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Crap. Sorry about the formatting. I typed that on the forum, and copied and pasted into word, and now copied and pasted back into this forum.

Here's the lessons learned I did a week after the race. Hopefully, this formatting won't be a clusterfuck:

Lessons Learned – Flying Pig Marathon 2010

Race recap:

1. Started at 6:30 AM
2. Steady rain for first 5 miles
3. Solid pace in 9:00/min range for first 10+ miles (by design)
4. Drank water or Gatorade at every station, but probably only got an oz or 2 at each
5. Dialed pace back 10-15 sec/mile for the hill at mile 5-8, no real problems
6. Picked up pace slightly from mile 9-15, down to about 8:40/mile pace
7. Stomach a little queasy miles 12-15.5, thought it was code brown
8. Stopped at port of potty for 1:45 at 15.5 mile water station, no poop, may have urinated
9. Immediate loss of energy, struggled through next 1.5 miles in about 9:15 pace
10. Stopped for first walk at mile 17 mark. Complete lack of energy. Legs were still fine. Didn’t understand problem. Tried eating a few gummy bears and cookies.
11. Alternated running and walking the last 9 miles. For the miles 17 to about 22 or 23, I ran
more than half of each mile, sometimes up to .3 miles at a time. Still absolutely no energy.
12. From mile 23 on, I could not run more than .1 at a time and I certainly ran less than ½ of those miles.
When I would run, I would get lightheaded and still had no energy. When I would stop, my legs (quads) would
cramp worse than I have ever had. Eventually, they started cramping even while running.
13. Finally ran last .4 or so, last 50+ yards was more of a hobble due to cramping.
14. Stopped immediately after finish line with demobilizing cramps.
15. After 20 minutes in medical tent, 2 waters and 2 gatorades, able to hobble out.

Pre-race prep:

1. Meals were probably not the best. Grilled chicken sandwich for lunch on Saturday. Ice cream. Pasta for dinner.
2. Breakfast on Sunday = plain bagel and banana
3. Drank water all Friday and Saturday, but probably not enough.
4. Drank probably 20 oz Sunday morning.
5. Up at 4, ate by 4:45. At race site by 5.
6. 4 bathroom stops before race. Still never felt like I had done all I needed to, but this didn’t turn out to be the problem.
7. Waited too long to get to starting line due to rain/thunderstorm.
8. Good ideas = poncho, trash bag, long sleeve shirt over short sleeve.

Training:

1. Plenty of miles, pacing was very, very slow.
2. Seemed to reach pinnacle in late February with first 20 miler in 3:02:00. No problems at all.
3. may have been overtrained by late march, early april.
4. Taper seemed to have legs ready to go.
5. During LSDs, would drink 3+ bottles of water or Gatorade. That is a lot more than I drank during race.
6. Hit the wall once on a long run, another time I may have gotten a little dehyrdrated.
7. Mid week runs were all at slow pace. May want to adjust this.
8. No upper body work. Not a problem during race, but on several LSDs, my shoulders got tired.
9. Gu gels and similar bothered my stomach. I could find no suitable replacement and did not practice this enough.
10. Also, diet was not helpful.
11. No speed work. Not a problem, but could be helpful for half marathon training and next marathon.
12. PF was an issue, but not a significant one. Took corticosteroid drugs week before the race, but seemed to wear off before the race. Still, no PF issues during race and never actually cut any runs short due to it.

Lessons:

1. Hydrate. I clearly did not drink enough. Stopping at every station and drinking maybe half of what they gave me was not
enough. Looking back, it was probably only 20 oz of water and Gatorade combined that I actually consumed by the time
I started to become affected. Consider hydration belt, or carrying a bottle and getting handoffs during race.
2. Don’t underestimate “heat”. I thought the weather was very good for the race, but I was clearly losing more fluids than I thought. Consider targeting a cooler race.
3. Learn to take/eat some kind of energy/food supplement. Lack of energy may have been lessened if I could take a gu gel or similar.
4. Drastic changes to diet necessary pre-race (at least a week or two). Also, during training. Affects energy and stomach,
especially bowel movements.
5. Park close to finish, not close to start. Better yet, just stay at the closest hotel.
6. Run in newer shoes. I don’t think this was an issue, and the pair I wore only had about 100-125 miles on them. If nothing else,
it would be one less thing to be concerned about.
7. DO NOT carry things in pockets. Worst abrasions were from map and gummy bears/cookies being in my pockets. Also,
more body glide. Where I used body glide, no issues at all. Other abrasion was on my right pec. I don’t know what
from.
8. Double bag cell phone.
9. Force more hill training. Big hill wasn’t a problem. Little hills later would have been. Focus on hills in last part of long run.
10. Need more longer runs at marathon pace for at least part. Run slower on other (or majority of) long runs. Do some midweek runs at race pace. Do some faster.
11. If it seems like it may be an issue, stop to use port o potty earlier than mile 15 and use the break to chug more fluids.
12. Pacing seemed good (9:00 min/miles early). Be conservative and plan to finish strong with negative splits. Worst case
scenario, you will probably make it longer before crashing.
13. Do a legit 18 week cycle. I think I peaked too early to have a good time even w/o dehydration. Build good
base, do some speedwork and some racing, but do not start with long runs too early.
14. Lower expectations. I did that before this race, but probably not enough. This is a pipe dream anyway.

Last edited by healdgator on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch Empty Re: Heald vs. the Marathon - The Rematch

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh dear god.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm

That's better.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Here's the good: that first marathon convinced you to do another.
All the bad: fuggetaboutit.

I don't know what "plenty" of miles worked out to, but it sounds like endurance was still the main issue, which means: more miles, particularly in your midweek sorta-long runs and more quality long runs. And yes, a legitimate 18-week program will help. They're systematic and commonly used for a reason: they work.

Looking forward to seeing you beat it this time around.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm

About time you gave this another shot slacker! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Here's the good: that first marathon convinced you to do another.
All the bad: fuggetaboutit.

I don't know what "plenty" of miles worked out to, but it sounds like endurance was still the main issue, which means: more miles, particularly in your midweek sorta-long runs and more quality long runs. And yes, a legitimate 18-week program will help. They're systematic and commonly used for a reason: they work.

Looking forward to seeing you beat it this time around.

Noted. I'm going to try to stay as close to the IM training plan as possible, but the days will inevitably be moved around.

For context, I decided to run a marathon last time around at about the same time I was running my first half. I had always wanted to do one, and I was already in good shape based on the training for the half, so I just picked it up from there. The half was in early December and the marathon I ultimately chose was early May, but I just picked up the marathon training plan at the point where I thought I was in December. So, I ran 3 20 milers and probably 10 or 11 more long runs of 14+ miles. My first 20 miler was by far my best/easiest. Most of my midweek runs were in the 6-7 mile range, but probably never more than 7.

though I'm starting this week, I'm not cutting all the way back to 3-5-3 for my midweek runs when I have been running 6-7 for those same runs already. However, I am limiting them to 5 miles until the plan calls for more. Frankly, I'm still not clear on how I am supposed to run those midweek runs in terms of pacing. The biggest difference is going to be the longer saturday pace runs before the long run on sunday. I did not do that last time.

Started yesterday, 5 miles on the treadmill in 44 minutes. Today is a rest day (and I have a cold). Back into it for 5 tomorrow
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:30 pm

mul21 wrote:About time you gave this another shot slacker! lol!

No shit. I am definitely slower now, though I think this is largely mental. I'm going to run a 15k in 3 weeks and a half in early Nov, so I will be comparing my times this year to my times in the 15k and half two years ago. I'm not optimistic.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:43 pm

One other thing to consider is your electrolyte balance. Cramping often means a lack of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc., and you did not mention taking in any sportsdrink or even salt in the days before the race. You also did not mention taking in Gatorade during the race, and you might need that as well. Are you training in Florida? Warm weather training, and yes, you are still training in warmer weather than most in the winter means learning how to deal with electrolyte balance - heck, even those who train in cooler weather still have issues. Two things I have done that seem to have helped me: 1) take a calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement (or eat a handful of mixed nuts everyday); 2) experimented and now take electrolyte tablets before a marathon. I live in Atlanta, and I'm a very heavy sweater. It took me many tries to balance this out, but the two previously mentioned items have really helped. Chris M has also had cramping issues and I never thought his endurance was in question, so if you find his last marathon report, I think he did a great job in detailing his strategy to combat them, and it worked.

Good luck with the next one, Brian. We are here for you.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed typos as my fingers type faster than my brain.)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:One other thing to consider is your electrolyte balance. Cramping often means a lack of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc., and you did not mention taking in any sportsdrink or even salt in the days before the race. You also did not mention taking in Gatorade during the race, and you might need that as well. Are you training in Florida? Warm weather training, and yes, you are still training in warmer weather than most in the winter means learning how to deal with electrolyte balance - heck, even those who train in cooler weather still have issues. Two things I have done that seem to have helped me: 1) take a calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement (or eat a handful of mixed nuts everyday); 2) experimented and now take electrolyte tablets before a marathon. I live in Atlanta, and I'm a very heavy sweater. It took me many tries to balance this out, but the two previously mentioned items have really helped. Chris M has also had cramping issues and I never thought his endurance was in question, so if you find his last marathon report, I think he did a great job in detailing his strategy to combat them, and it worked.

Good luck with the next one, Brian. We are here for you.

thanks, Michele. I tried to alternate water and Gatorade for this reason, but I didn't take in enough of either. I will look for Chris' report.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Nice long blog to start. I am another victim of cramping at times in marathon races and I know for sure it is related to poor fluid intake and not enough electrolytes (Gatorade etc.)

Wishing you well on this journey!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 am

I think choosing an Ohio marathon for a Gator might have been the first mistake. ha ha! Hey, galiant effort to finish and 4:15 is mucho faster than the majority these days. Hope this cycle brings a renewed hope and confidence to reaching that goal. Sounds like getting down the fluid by walking or briefly stopping might be a good strategy, if you were wearing more than you were drinking as you stated. Oh, and like David Byrne says, "cute cute little baby, why not WAKE em up!!"
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 am

Just a suggestion, instead of double bagging the cell phone BAG the cell phone completely, ya don't need it and serious racers don't take them. Hate to be abrupt, but it's one of my pet peeves. Now on a fun less serious marathon attempt, that is appropriate, but you sound pretty serious about your goal. Good running sir!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 am

fostever wrote:Just a suggestion, instead of double bagging the cell phone BAG the cell phone completely, ya don't need it and serious racers don't take them. Hate to be abrupt, but it's one of my pet peeves. Now on a fun less serious marathon attempt, that is appropriate, but you sound pretty serious about your goal. Good running sir!

It was merely for post-race communication reasons, and I carry it with me on long training runs. I shouldn't need it for the race this year since I have a hotel room across from the start/finish.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 am

Oh, and for pre-race issues - like boredom and checking the radar for the thunderstorms that threaten to postpone or cancel the race. Still probably won't need it this time.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 am

For tracking purposes, my current weight is 175.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Treadmill - 5 miles, 39:30

8:13
8:00
7:54
7:47
7:41
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 pm

healdgator wrote:Treadmill - 5 miles, 39:30

Too fast. That's a tempo run for you right now!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 pm

mul21 wrote:

It hurts to admit it, but it is. I will dial it back.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 pm

healdgator wrote:
mul21 wrote:

It hurts to admit it, but it is. I will dial it back.

Dude, trust me, I know exactly how you feel. It sucks, but you'll get there. I wasn't doing tempo runs much faster than that last summer. Be patient and you'll get there.

Also, I was thinking about this while I was running tonight, don't ask me why. That's actually an okay run for you to do once a week. I would suggest that you get in a warm up and cool down, however, and make sure the day before and after are really easy/recovery days. Like 4-5 miles at 9:30 pace or so. You may not feel like you need to go that slow now, but when you get into the marathon training, you really will need to so you don't crash and burn.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Today's workout:

5 miles, treadmill, 45:00 consistent 9 min pace.

Tomorrow is an off day, though at some point I am actually going to restart some strength training.

Plan for the weekend (per Intermediate 1:

Sat - 5 miles at pace (probably 8:30-8:40/mile); likely on the treadmill
Sun - 8 miles LSD, probably on the road. I will probably shoot for 9:30ish pace though I still have difficulty dialing it that far back. Which is an odd way to look at, since running 9 min pace at this point isn't exactly an easy run.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 am

Saturday - 4.63 miles, treadmill, 8:35-8:40 pace. Plan was for 5 but they had to evacuate the Y due to a "suspicious package". Evacuated everyone from the building, all the soccer fields, 2 businesses, and 1 house. Also shut down 2 cross streets. All this for a cooler marked "TNT". That's right, it was water bottles for the Team in Training. You can't make this shit up, folks.

Sunday - 8 miles on the road, 1:15:30, just under 9:30 pace. I haven't checked the details from the Garmin yet, but I think the pace was fairly consistent. I felt pretty crappy the whole way. It was hot.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:29 am

Good job keeping the long run easy. That's probably about perfect for where you're at right now.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 am

healdgator wrote:Saturday - 4.63 miles, treadmill, 8:35-8:40 pace. Plan was for 5 but they had to evacuate the Y due to a "suspicious package". Evacuated everyone from the building, all the soccer fields, 2 businesses, and 1 house. Also shut down 2 cross streets. All this for a cooler marked "TNT". That's right, it was water bottles for the Team in Training. You can't make this shit up, folks.

No you can't!!! Last year during our training run for the Atlanta Half Marathon, we placed a cooler of Powerade and one of Water at the mile 12 water stop. Well, it turns out that this water stop is in front of the US courthouse, and whent he first group of runners made ti to mile 12, the Atlanta police were there along with Federal Agents and dogs to confirm the contents. The coolers say "ATC" in large letters on the side and the cups and trash bags were there as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
healdgator wrote:Saturday - 4.63 miles, treadmill, 8:35-8:40 pace. Plan was for 5 but they had to evacuate the Y due to a "suspicious package". Evacuated everyone from the building, all the soccer fields, 2 businesses, and 1 house. Also shut down 2 cross streets. All this for a cooler marked "TNT". That's right, it was water bottles for the Team in Training. You can't make this shit up, folks.

No you can't!!! Last year during our training run for the Atlanta Half Marathon, we placed a cooler of Powerade and one of Water at the mile 12 water stop. Well, it turns out that this water stop is in front of the US courthouse, and whent he first group of runners made ti to mile 12, the Atlanta police were there along with Federal Agents and dogs to confirm the contents. The coolers say "ATC" in large letters on the side and the cups and trash bags were there as well.

Before we knew what the "suspicious package" was, my wife and I were talking about what we would do if we had seen it. I assumed it was a duffel bag or actual package. I believe I would have walked or run right by it and thought "hey, some idiot left their bag here.". Who sees a cooler in an innocuous location and thinks "bomb"? And why did nobody at the Y realize what it was?
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next