365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

marathons 1 week apart

+2
Diego
Julie
6 posters

Go down

marathons 1 week apart Empty marathons 1 week apart

Post  Julie Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Who runs marathons 1 week apart? I know a few here have and I am asking just because I just got an e-mail from the Omaha Marathon with a discount code over Labor Day weekend. I've run the full once (my first full, 2006) and the half twice. It's a 1 hr drive so not a big deal to drive up that morning, pick up packet, run and then shower at home..

My goal race is the Sunday before and I plan to run all-out then. My only reservation would be that my knees have both been off and on painful or just sore and I don't want to do longer term damage to them.

If I were to run Omaha I would just do it for "fun" and not really push the time if I were still pretty worn out from the week before.

yes, no, don't even entertain the idea or any other input?

edit to clarify, the race is Sept 25th in Omaha, and the 18th in WI, the discount code is if I register this coming weekend. Of course the ultimate freebie would be just to not run it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

marathons 1 week apart Empty Re: marathons 1 week apart

Post  Diego Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Julie, if you are running Omaha for fun, I'd say go for it. You can always run/walk it.

But if you really feel like your knees are giving you a bad time/ swelling, then I'd forget about it. If your knees hurt even today, I'd get in ASAP with a physical therapist and work on your glute strength(most common reason for patellofemoral pain syndrome). Single leg squats with the other leg pushed forward, backward and to the side--10 reps each side and each direction--repeat twice daily is a good starting point along with wall squats. You can also use a step to do the forward and backward squats(don't touch your opposite foot down--hold it there.)

I also forgot to mention the adductors. Grab some theraband tubing and tie to something solid. Pull the leg across your body to strengthen the adductors(groin) muscles.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:32 pm

I would sort of echo Jim on this one, Julie. I'd hate to see your knee aggravated to the point of a real injury seeing as how it has been hurting you a little recently. I guess if you don't have another event for some time you could do it and if you get injured you would have plenty of time to heal up, but it might take the fun out of the 2nd marathon as well.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:57 pm

If you are just going to run it for fun, then I would say skip it. Running it as part of a goal to run multiple marathons is a different quest. With only one week in between, unless you plan on walking a lot of the second one you will most definitely have some discomfort. I have ran two marathons within 13 days twice and both times the second one was challenging, not what I would call fun. Not sure I would do it again.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Skip the second marathon.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks all, yeah I will skip it. I guess even a 14 miler isn't too fun the week after. I think the tapering is getting in my brain or something and I want something to look forward to after this race. Thanks for the good advice!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks all, yeah I will skip it. I guess even a 14 miler isn't too fun the week after. I think the tapering is getting in my brain or something and I want something to look forward to after this race. Thanks for the good advice!

Could it be? (dare I say it?) Sure, why not. Could it be Taper MADNESS!!!!!!

ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Ugh, I've been in taper madness over a week, and it stinks because most people here are running Chicago or even later so I am just going crazy checking this site 10000000000 times and thinking about my shoes and toenails and remembering to pack my body glide and making sure I actually TRY ON my spi belt before the race (but how can I wear it for a run when I have to take my water bottle on every run?) And now trying to figure out all we're going to do on our Saturday before the race big vacation in WI. Yes, this is fun, be glad you're not in my running group. Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down