365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition

+15
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris M
Julie
rhondda h
John Kilpatrick
Diego
Mike MacLellan
Mark B
Nick Morris
Dave-O
Kenny B.
mul21
healdgator
Michael Enright
19 posters

Go down

Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition Empty Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 am

As the hurricane approaches and the sense of doom impends here in central Connecticut, a few questions to ponder:

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced?

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked?

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other?

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one?

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster?

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one?

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season?

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday?

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why?

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition

Post  healdgator Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:29 am

As the hurricane approaches and the sense of doom impends here in central Connecticut, a few questions to ponder:

The three hurricanes that came through Central Florida in the span of a month in 2004.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked?
Most, if not all, of them are awful. The volcano movies were terrible. The asteroid movies were awful. 2012 (combined them all into one) was one of the 5 dumbest movies I have ever seen.

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other?
Hurricane

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one?
No, but the Gators were deprived of a shot at the national title in 2001 by the terrorists.

Here's the story of the Hurricane

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one?
Nope

yes, but it will be a lousy one. And it's going to get a bunch worse. At least they have almost zero real fans who will suffer.

Do you live near a tree? If so, probably.

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why?
It's August. Electricity, by far. Of course, in Florida we all have pools so . . .

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative...
It probably will just be a tropical storm by the time it hits you. Suck it up. You yankees sure are a soft bunch.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition

Post  mul21 Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 am

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? The hurricane that blew through Louisiana about 4 years ago and seemingly flooded a huge part of the midwest. I think there was about 4 feet of water where my street was supposed to be at the height of the rain.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? Eh, they're alright. Probably the best one, and only sort of a natural disaster, was Armageddon.

If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be:
Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of
locusts, other? Flood

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? No, but the Lewis and Clark half and marathon in St. Charles, MO was shortened to a 10 mile race by the storm I mentioned above.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Not that I can think of

Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and
like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at
the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that
one? Only very vaguely and I don't know the other one.

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Yes, but they may not next year!

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? No, those are all still down in LA! afro

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Electric, nothing works, no refrigerator, stove, microwave, running water if you have a well. That sucks.

How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back
to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on
Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't
work? Please be creative... Well, if the storm is as bad as they say it's going to be, you can put it off until Monday because you'll have the day off work anyway!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am

Spiritual Death!

Yes but they all seem to not be very good.

Tsunami - Something about the ocean just picking up like that freaks me out yet excited me.

No! Worst weather was heavy downpour of rain with 20mph-30mph winds for 15 miles.

Can't think that long about it.

Green martian from Flintstones. LOL I don' know.

Who are they?

Possibly!

Electric because then I can't even use TM.

wake up earlier.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:19 pm

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? Hurricane Tomas...on my honeymoon last October.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? Does Armageddon count?

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? Earthquake.

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? I consider the heat wave of 2008 the ruined the Chicago Marathon to constitute a "disaster."

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Hurricane by Something Corporate is an awesome song.

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? No.

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Yes, but if that doesn't warrant the death penalty, I don't know what does.

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? No.

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Gas in the winter.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative... How big is your living room?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:21 pm

I am pretty boring...I have been through a tornado once...not really a disaster, because it missed our house by a mile or so...But I did see the funnel cloud.

Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share
which ones you liked? Sure...I liked Twister

3. If you had to pick one of these to
experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood,
mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other?
I would say earthquake, because living in the midwest, we do not get to experience them often.

4. Have you ever
been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural
disaster, or have you trained through one? Nope

5. Do you have a
favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster?
Thunderstruck by AC/DC??

6. Are
you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like
it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the
same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that
one?
No I am not, but it was Quake and Quisp (I looked it up)

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team
this season?
Yes, but how good of a team should be the question

No

What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water;
gas; cable; internet; phone, and why?
I would say water, because it is essential to our survival

10. How can I get my 18
miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm
tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night
or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be
creative...
You could run 4,752 laps, 20 foot in length, in your house/basement
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:30 pm

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? I've felt the effects (at a distance) of several 7+ magnitude earthquakes, and I got a bit of ash from one of Mount St. Helens' eruptions.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? They're usually total cheese-fests, but they're okay. "The Perfect Storm" was a great book, and the movie did a pretty good job retelling it.

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? Anything but seeing the movie "2012" again. Wink

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? Nope.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? Don't remember Quake, but I do remember Quisp.
Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition Quisp-10

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Depends on the terms of their parole.

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? Hopefully not... Do they allow trailers in Connecticut?

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Water. It'd suck losing the other amenities, but you can't live without water.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative... Have you considered looting as a form of cross-training?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Big earthquake when I was a kid. Don't remember which year, but it was big. Southern California.

When they're done well. I liked The Core, despite the fact that it was technically an awful movie. Dante's Peak was entertaining. 2012 was not.

Earthquake - easy. I'd like to see a tornado.

Nope. I imagine we'll get some mudslides on the trails here and that will impact my training.

Rock you like a Hurricane? Not really a favorite song, but a decent one. Thunderstruck? I'm sure there are a few that mention them...

Quake? No. Quarker oats? Eat them twice a day.

Don't even know which sport that is. Assuming football?

No. They won't have any trailers there until mid-September.

Can't have cable/internet without electricity. I wouldn't want to do without water. Imagine trying to use the restroom.

Run at his college after you move him. Literally show up, help move everything into the room, and leave for 3 hours. Usually us college kids hate it the most when parents stick around to try and help organize.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:47 pm

LA earthquake 1994; Malibu Mudslides and Fires

Oh wait, you were probably kidding. Worst natural disaster for me must have been when I spilled my beer last week.

Original Earthquake and Poseidon Adventure; 2012 ; The ice cap one with Dennis Quaid--wolves in NYC--gotta love that.

I'm hungry--I'll go with the locusts.
4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? NO.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Leaving on a Jet Plane(2012--if you saw it, you'd understand.)

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal?
If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one?

Get your Freakies on! Quisp(just like Cap'n Crunch) and Freakies came out about the same time, I think. But who cares about taste when you get such cool toys?

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Death, Death, Death!

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? Only if you would like a tornado to visit you! In New Orleans they have several hundred(thousands?) that went unused(watch out for formaldehyde and water moccasins, too.)

Electricity, because then our water (pump) is also gone.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative... Pull a Sam and run 18 miles in your house and take some dramamine for the dizziness.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks and Happy Friday

Tornado - when I was probably 7 years old my Mom sent my brother and I to school as the sirens were sounding. We lived about a quarter of a mile away and she told us to RUN fast before the tornado hit. We got to school and were instantly whisked down a hall and assumed the impending disaster position. The tornado didn't hit the school, but hit close by, knocking down trees and ripping the roofs off of a couple of houses. We give her a hard time about that to this day.

The movie was OK, but the book The Perfect Storm was great. Most natural disaster movies are so cheesy though...

If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be:
Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of
locusts, other?
I have never been through a big Hurricane, so that would be interesting as long as nobody got seriously hurt...

This summer has been pretty much of a temperature disaster What a Face and I've trained through it!

Thunderstruck

Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and
like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at
the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that
one?
no clue

Sure, they will just have to start the lower paid ones...

Not a chance. FEMA doesn't operate that quickly Laughing

I would have to go with water - no toilet and no shower. Enough said.

How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back
to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on
Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't
work? Please be creative...
Jump rope for three hours, that should do the trick.... Exclamation

Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition Empty

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Killer tornado, Chicago/Evergreen Park/Oak Lawn - back in probably '67 or so - it put a giant tree through the roof of our neighbor.

No, they should not make them. If they are done well, they terrorize, most are just terrible movies.

All of them seem awful. But I think earthquake is the scariest - hell, you can't even stand still in a safe place!

I've run in some bad storms, but nothing that qualifies.

Neil Young - Like a Hurricane (or, more obscure, The Kinks - Lost & Found).

As many learned, remembered or whatever, it was Quake and Quisp. Yuck.

Friday Thread - Natural Disaster Edition Quakes10

I suppose, but they shouldn't be allowed!

I would say I hope not, but depending on how things play out, maybe I should say I hope one is available!

For us it would be electric, which would wipe out the others.

Still wondering about this one. It may be that I am saved by the university, which is going to let us move them in tonight, thus freeing up early tomorrow, when the weather should still be ok.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  rhondda h Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:43 pm

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? A tornado and resulting flash flood when I was about 11. I was babysitting my younger brother and sister, mom and dad both called seperately when the city sirens went off and told us to go to the basement. They didn't give us time to explain that there was a foot of water in the basement. Dad got irritated when I tried to protest and insisted so we did. Kids didn't disobey back then. Duh. Luckily we weren't electrocuted. We sat on chairs and watched the cat float by in a laundry basket. The family did get a really cool rec room out of the insurance money though. Pleather couch with a wood frame, shag carpeting and glass and silver coffee tables.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked?Twister with the flying cows was pretty good.

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other?I own a boat I'll go with flood. Locusts would seem like the mildest one but I delivered yellow books during the cicada invasion a few years ago and that was beyond terrifying.

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one?I trained through floods here a few years ago. Running on the trail was like running the steeplechase through quick sand and I tree cracked and fell right after I ran by so I went back to my treadmill.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster?Can't think of one.

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one?Quisp. Yuck. I was more a captain crunch girl.

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season?Allowed to?

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday?There aren't any left, they are still in use by Katrina folks. Ask for a Section 8 voucher instead, from someone in the industry, a much better deal. They're Portable. Could be your opportunity to relocate somewhere fabulous.

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why?Water as long as it's not cold out. Showering and being able to flush are more important than facebook and texting. I own 900 candles so lights wouldn't be an issue.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative...What's it take, about six trips from the van to the dorm? Park 1.5 miles from the room and take a two wheeled dolly with you.
rhondda h
rhondda h

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Hurricane Ivan, 2004

Can't think of any

Depends how far I was from it. I guess tornadoes because I've grown up with them nearby all the time and they rarely devastate a large population (yes, sometimes they do but most of them don't) How about a tornado that doesn't touch down? Very Happy

I don't think so. T-storms at the beginning?

Master the Tempest Is Raging? Cool Kind of a joke because in college they sang that hymn right before a hurricane went through...

No idea what that is.

no idea

Let's hope they give you something when you need it. And if you want the 12 days of Christmas all hurricane-ized I have them written down from Ivan (the 12th day after Ivan, FEMA gave me to me, a chain saw for the pear tree....and it goes on).

Electric is tough but really you need water because you can live with flashlights to an extent. Cable totally doesn't matter. Gas would matter in the winter, of course, if you don't have electric heat but could probably use a space heater in a pinch.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative..

Get up early tomorrow morning or do it tonight.

Seriously, I hope you all stay safe. We had no electricity for 10 days after Ivan, I couldn't evacuate if I wanted to keep my job at a nursing home so I stayed there and worked about 100 hrs that week (yes, with 23-24 hour shifts they gave us 1 hour nap breaks).

And if you get MREs, avoid the beef. Vegetarian and chicken are pretty decent.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Hurricane Gloria back in the 80s maybe? The Blizzard of '78 and last year's "Snowmegedon" were memorable but I don't think snow can count as a real disaster. I did get evacautated from the Outer Banks last year for Hurricane Earl but it was a bit of a false alarm and the storm didn't do much. But we made the cover of the Greenville, NC newspaper as "Hurricane Refugees" seeking out shelter in their town after we were cleared off of the shore.

Most of them do seem really bad. I read a Ken Follet book once about a guy who figured out how to cause earthquakes intentionally. I enjoyed that.

The earthquake I went through this week wasn't too bad at all but real biggies look scary. I think if you are in a safe enough structure, hurricane would be the easiest to deal with.

We don't count temps over 100 as a natural disaster, do we? Just a running race disaster? Taking heat and sun out of the mix, I don't think I've had a race or training impacted by a natural disaster.

I like Neil Young's "Like A Hurricane".

No clue what you are talking about. Our Mom wouldn't let us have any of the really good cererals. The best it ever got for us was when they invented Honey-Nut Cheerios and we were allowed to have those as well before school.

That's a pretty crazy story about their booster. But I imagine similar stuff is happening or has happened at many of the big schools.

In New England? Please. You would think the storm is going to take out NYC if you watch the coverage and Boston is next. Just media hype. It will be a big storm, power will go out, trees will come down but its not the end of days for New York and New England despite the media coverage of that possibility. If you lived in the Outer Banks, I might answer differently.

Electric. Can't use my treadmill!

An alarm clock. No college-aged son is going to willingly do anything before 9am despite whatever promises and plans get made tonight. So finish your run before then.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Damn just saw that Mark beat me to the Quisp guy!

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? Blizzard of 1978 in New England. I've been lucky enough to miss all others that have come near me including tornadoes in Atlanta in 1999 that took out a neighborhood 2 miles away that I ran through (and still run through) almost everyday.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? Not really, but I do remember the original Earthquake with the "Sensor round sound".

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? Seriously - none of the above.

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? I have run in what turned out to be pretty significant snow storms or rain from hurricane backlash, but not much else.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Gloria by the Doors as it was the name of the hurricane that hit New England in the early 1980s and there were t-shirts that said" I got blown by Gloria". The radio had a field day with the song. We actually taped our windows and lost power for a few days and I lived inland in New Hampshire at the time. Lots and lots of rain which simply served to fill up our reservoirs.

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? Quisp!!!!

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Hopefully not. They should be suspended forever as this is not the first violation.

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? Nope they are still in Louisiana, Tuscaloosa, and Joplin - sorry.

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Electricity and/or water.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative... Sam already told us about running around her basement - so I think that you could too. Candles would give it a real spooky affect.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? Lost my car in a flash flood once - nobody injured, and it was a 15 year old clunker, so I can't complain.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? Not my favorite genre.

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? I'll take the hurricane.

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? No. Got caught out on a run in thunder and lightening, that's about it.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Because I'm a jazz/funk fan, and to prove I'm old enough to remember Quisp and Quake...how about anything by the Crusaders, that featured Wilton Felder (aka the Texas Twister) on tenor sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0PERqhkORs

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? Yes, I remeber Quake! I was a Quisp man myself.

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? This year's no different - depends on how the parole hearings go.

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? *flip* *heads* ..... Yes!

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Water. If it were winter, I might say gas.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative... Have your son quickly apply and get accepted to a school in a western state. Run while you're out here.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Michael Enright wrote:As the hurricane approaches and the sense of doom impends here in central Connecticut, a few questions to ponder:

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? Nothing really. Not much happens out in Colorado. When I was young, a tornado hit Dallas and my Aunt lived in a trailer. It leveled the trailer park across the street but not that much damage to my Aunt's place. It was loud.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? I love them which is weird. My favorite is Twister and then Armageddon (sp?)

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? Tornado

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? No

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Does the Aerosmith song count?

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? I remem

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? hmmm

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? I doubt you'll be the one sitting on your roof waiting for help.

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Water

Move the furniture in your largest room to the middle and run around it. Hopefully you'll have your iPod charged because it will be boring. Switch directions every 5 times to avoid dizziness. Cool
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:07 am

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? I experienced a small earthquake one time in Las Vegas and I lived through a flood in Wisconsin a few years ago.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? Not really, they are usually stupid.

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? None of them. How about a heat wave?

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? I trained through the flood but never had a race affected.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? 'Rock You Like A Hurricane"

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? Quisp and Quake. There is a retro food website around where you can still buy them.

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? This year probably. Next year and years to come maybe not.

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? It will take at least 6 months before FEMA gets the trailers to you.

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Water is the one thing you cannot live without.

10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative... Run in place.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:02 am

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? Flood. Although I've never personally been affected by it.
2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? Nothing is coming to mind.
3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? I guess I'll go with mudslide--that could be a lot more fun than dangerous.
4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? No races affected for me. In high school, the coach made us continue our hill workout in a whiteout. It was pretty dangerous. You couldn't see 2 feet in front of you from all the snow. But it wasn't a natural disaster, though.
5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? No...sorry.
6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? Never heard of Quake cereal.
7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Beats me.
8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? Either that or a tent. Just kidding. Hopefully the hurricane will leave everyone alone.
9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Electric; you can't do much without it, you lose everything in your fridge / freezer, can't charge any of your electronics, live in the dark other than candles and flashlights, probably have no A/C in the summer.
10. How can I get my 18 miler in this weekend if I have to move my son back to the dorm tomorrow, and I can't run outside during the hurricane on Saturday night or Sunday and the power is out so the treadmill won't work? Please be creative. Find an indoor track.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Michael Enright wrote:As the hurricane approaches and the sense of doom impends here in central Connecticut, a few questions to ponder:

1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced? San Fernando Valley earthquake 1971.

2. Do you enjoy movies about natural disasters, and (if so) please share which ones you liked? ???? Four weddings and a Funeral -- it's what came to mind.

3. If you had to pick one of these to experience, which would it be: Hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flood, mudslide, avalanche, plague of locusts, other? Earthquake.

4. Have you ever been in a race that was impacted in some meaningful way by a natural disaster, or have you trained through one? No but my race times are a disaster.

5. Do you have a favorite song that somehow relates to a natural disaster? Peter Gabriel had a song "Here comes the Flood"

6. Are you old enough to remember Quake cereal? If so, did you eat it and like it? If so, do you remember the companion cereal that came out at the same time that featured a space alien, and what was the name of that one? Yes and Quisp -- which they still sell.

7. Are the Miami Hurricanes going to be able to field a team this season? Don't care.

8. Will I be living in a FEMA trailer come Tuesday? No

9. What is the worst utility to lose for a long period: Electric; water; gas; cable; internet; phone, and why? Electric -- lose about everything else.

Resistance training --tie yourself to a tree and run into the wind for three hours.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down