365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Make No Little Plans

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Make No Little Plans

Post  Chris M on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Nice tempo, Chris. Was the rest between the intervals completely inactive? Or did you walk/jog any of it?

Dave's likely answer: "jog/float a half mile"

Chris' actual action this morning: "stop. walk to water fountain. drink heartily. stare at sky. drink more. stare at sky. walk back onto path. run"

I just followed the link posted elsewhere here to the 20% sale at Running Warehouse. Of course, I then bought nothing that was on sale.

Instead, I bought TWO pair of Brooks Launch - different colors - and they will now be my full-time long and easy run shoe. That is the 3rd and 4th pair of these shoes I've gone with. When Michele said they were her favorites too, that convinced me that I wasn't crazy to like them so much. So now I'm down to trail shoes (Inov-8s), some assorted Asics and Nikes that I don't know when I'll use, Lunar Racers and one seldom used pair of Adidas Adios for racing and speedwork, and now 2 pair of the Brooks Launch for most running. That's cutting back shoe-wise for me but still 8 or so active pair.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey Chris, just stopping by to wish you the best for Chicago!
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm

@Chris M wrote:Chris' actual action this morning: "stop. walk to water fountain. drink heartily. stare at sky. drink more. stare at sky. walk back onto path. run"

This is exactly what I would have done too. Very Happy

Nice job hitting the targets, for the most part. I wonder if Dave is doing these slower first sets on purpose....NAH, Chris never goes out too fast, NEVER! Razz
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:13 pm

That may be the most impressive display of pacing you've ever exhibited. Well done. You get a blue star. Like a Star @ heaven

Email me your final mileage tally from weeks 2, 3 and 4 so I can keep accurate track. I don't need a day by day breakdown, just the totals.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:24 pm

@Dave-O wrote:That may be the most impressive display of pacing you've ever exhibited. Well done. You get a blue star. Like a Star @ heaven

lol!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

@Chris M wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:Nice tempo, Chris. Was the rest between the intervals completely inactive? Or did you walk/jog any of it?

Dave's likely answer: "jog/float a half mile"

Chris' actual action this morning: "stop. walk to water fountain. drink heartily. stare at sky. drink more. stare at sky. walk back onto path. run"

I just followed the link posted elsewhere here to the 20% sale at Running Warehouse. Of course, I then bought nothing that was on sale.

Instead, I bought TWO pair of Brooks Launch - different colors - and they will now be my full-time long and easy run shoe. That is the 3rd and 4th pair of these shoes I've gone with. When Michele said they were her favorites too, that convinced me that I wasn't crazy to like them so much. So now I'm down to trail shoes (Inov-8s), some assorted Asics and Nikes that I don't know when I'll use, Lunar Racers and one seldom used pair of Adidas Adios for racing and speedwork, and now 2 pair of the Brooks Launch for most running. That's cutting back shoe-wise for me but still 8 or so active pair.

Hehehe - I just bought another pair as well - in white with blue and yellow rather than the old light blue. Can't wait for them to arrive!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Watched Argentina vs Colombia in Copa America yesterday, funny in a Spanish channel. I don't know him, but have no doubt the Argentina coach is a moron.

I am going to watch Barca vs Club America of Mexico August 6th with a little mixed feeling. I wish it is ManU coming in town. But hey, it is going to be the first time I step into a football stadium, Cowboy stadium, no doubt a good one. lol!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:57 am

I concluded a good week of running yesterday 90 miles, which is the most I've done since March. Not much fast running. One 2x2 tempo and I had a couple of decently fast miles as part of a Friday run but no track work or pace workouts. Volume, heat and humidity! Both Saturday and Sunday were pretty miserable conditions to run in. On the 20 miler, I definitely felt pretty dehydrated despite stopping at fountains and even a store to buy Gatorade. Days like that, I may just have to give in and carry water which I don't like to do.

Today I got my butt kicked by a personal trainer. The gym at my office is closed for a couple of months for repairs so I had to find a gym near here that I could join for the Summer. All I need is a treadmill and a shower but two of the places I visited were "bells and whistles" places with all kinds of features I didn't need in a gym and a price to match. Plus they wanted a full year membership. I finally found one where the most cost efficient way to do it was to buy a month-to-month membership but I get 6 1-hour personal training sessions as part of it. I guess they figure I'll want to continue past the 6 initial seassions and that would make me extend my gym membership and pay for more training sessions. Last week, the guy interviewed me about what I've been doing exercise wise and today was our first session. He put me through an hour of "testing" and it was pretty grueling!!

The non-surprise yet it was still a suprise to me was that I was easily able to do the cardio stuff but all the weight related stuff was a mess. I've done NOTHING but run in the last 3 years and paid the price on some of the strength related tests. My form and power on pull ups, push ups, medicine ball stuff and dumbells was terrible. The more cardio or leg focussed ones like box jumps, squats, presses, and rowing machine tests were much easier on me and I nailed those. The whole thing was done as circuits of three exercises (ie 20 box jumps, 30 kettle ball swings, 25 push ups) done without break then a breather and then doing the same 3 again. Do 3 sets of that so you would do something like box jumps 60 total times. Then another short break and then three new exercises like row 750M, shoulder presses, crunches. Then on to the next set of three new exercises and so on. The time flew by but it was hard going. Definitely a major workout. Get me back to a nice easy 15 miler! I'll be back with this guy again later this week and I do think it will be good for me to incorporate more full body training in what I do.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:35 am

So you decided to go with the Brooks Launches, huh. Great minds think alike. They're excellent shoes for everyday training. I could use some of that personal training. Lifting the kids just isn't enough.

Sick cross and goal yesterday by the USA. Sorry I missed the game.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:45 am

So are you going to get more than the "free" personal trainer sessions?
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:20 pm

90 mile week? Wow, congrats!! I hope you enjoy the time with the personal trainer (or not enjoy, but really benefit from it).
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:50 pm

@Joel H wrote:So are you going to get more than the "free" personal trainer sessions?

I don't know Joel, just the testing sounded like it nearly did him in!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Very nice week, Chris.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Personal trainer??? Are you stepping out on me?!?!?!?!
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@Joel H wrote:So are you going to get more than the "free" personal trainer sessions?

Agreed, but Chris does enjoy punishment, he does have Dave-O as his coach...maybe not for much longer if Chris keeps going to the personal trainer though. Surprised
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

@Joel H wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

Agreed, but Chris does enjoy punishment, he does have Dave-O as his coach...maybe not for much longer if Chris keeps going to the personal trainer though. Surprised

Now wait a second, Dave doesn't make Chris run his workouts 20 seconds a mile faster than he's supposed to, that's all on Chris. Dave is perfectly effective without beating you up too bad. I'm not saying it's easy by any means, but I'd much rather go through Dave's worst workout than whatever gauntlet Chris had to navigate yesterday!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am

@mul21 wrote:
@Joel H wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

Now wait a second, Dave doesn't make Chris run his workouts 20 seconds a mile faster than he's supposed to, that's all on Chris. Dave is perfectly effective without beating you up too bad. I'm not saying it's easy by any means, but I'd much rather go through Dave's worst workout than whatever gauntlet Chris had to navigate yesterday!

Ok well Chris likes self inflicted punishment then...all I know is he does seem to enjoy it since like you said he runs his workouts 20 seconds faster than he is supposed to run them.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 am

I've been doing almost all of my running outside recently but today I'm going to change it up for today and run on the mill at home. Its supposed to hit 100 today. It was 90 at the end of my 20 miler this weekend with pretty high humidity and by the end of that run, I was pretty done in. And that was just moseying along at LSD pace. Today is 12 miles with 6 at tempo so I'm not going to fight the even hotter conditions and I'll just do it on the mill tonight watching some more Battlestar Gallatica DVDs. I've done so little mill running at home that I've been stalled out somewhere towards the end of Season 4 in BSG. I can't even remember what was happening last time I watched. I'll get caught up tonight.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:20 am

I think it would be worth running in the heat just to avoid the Battlestar Gallactica DVDs.

Very Happy
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 am

@Michael Enright wrote:I think it would be worth running in the heat just to avoid the Battlestar Gallactica DVDs.

Very Happy

I have never been able to accept Starbuck as a girl. pale Give me back Laurette Spang and the old characters. I do like the new Cylons, however. Wink

It's kind of like accepting Leonardo DiCaprio as a basketball player in "The Basketball Diaries" or Julius Erving as a serious actor.

I watched the first episode of Torchwood and it looks pretty good.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:I think it would be worth running in the heat just to avoid the Battlestar Gallactica DVDs.

Very Happy

+1 lol!

By the way, I love your blog title - I think about it sometimes when a race is looking impossibly big. Not very long ago I thought there is no way I could actually go 26.2 miles.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:21 am

Don't listen to 'em, Chris! They just miss the galactic-sized cheese-fest that was the original BSG. Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 am

@John Kilpatrick wrote:

Very Happy

+1 lol!

By the way, I love your blog title - I think about it sometimes when a race is looking impossibly big. Not very long ago I thought there is no way I could actually go 26.2 miles.

Dave picked up on the reference in my blog title. Its part of a quote from Daniel Burnham, who was the pricipal architect and city planner of Chicago. With Chicago as my goal race and the "think big" finishing time goal I'm shooting for being one that is not going to be easily realized, it worked for me on a number of levels. The full quote is:

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty. Think big."

Today I was supposed to have the 2nd of my 6 personal trainer sessions. But I got a call at home early AM before leaving for the gym and the trainer guy is out sick today so instead I just did a treadmill run at home before coming in to the office. I'll do another at lunch. I'm a little behind on the plan for this week mileage wise. The goal was 90 and even with the unexpected chance to add some mileage in this morning, i think I'm going to fall 4-5 short. The plan is to do a 10 miler tomorrow with the last 4 at goal MP and then 20 on Sunday which I'll do as a one-way run from my house down to National Airport in DC. I'm tired overall and certainly not running particularly fast but everything feels pretty good considering and I'm not fighting any injuries or niggles right now.

We are going to see Harry Potter tonight. Should be fun. I loved the book series and while I find movies can never be as good as a book, the Potter movies do a pretty good job of capturing it. I always have minor quibbles on what they leave out in the movies but in general the 8 movies (well, I'm assuming the 8th will be good) have been really well done.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 am

Battlestar Galactica??? Man, I sure hope I spelled it right! That is one show I never got into, either time around. Although, I did like Levar Burton in Reading Rainbow. Smile

I've got to get HP on my schedule too. I loved the series!
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 am

Just remember that the step-back week is right around the corner...
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top