365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Boxing Matches you can remember

+5
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Diego
Chris M
Kenny B.
9 posters

Go down

Top Boxing Matches you can remember Empty Top Boxing Matches you can remember

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:37 am

1. Hagler vs. Hearns - 1985
2. Tyson vs. Everyone (until he went to jail)
3. Leonard vs. Hearns - 1981
4. Ali vs. Frazier - (Reruns)
5. Pryor vs. Arguiell - 1982
6. Corraless vs. Castillo 2005

Also remember Boom Boom fight killing guy

Ali vs. Holmes (Sad fight to watch Ali)

Tyson vs. Holyfield (ear biting - classic)
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Top Boxing Matches you can remember Empty Re: Top Boxing Matches you can remember

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:42 am

Not that it was a great fight but Tyson-Spinks was an incredible moment. There was so much hype going into that about Tyson finally having to face a true boxing champ and that Tyson wouldn't be able to overpower him and it was going to be a power vs art many round battle...and....BOOM.....91 seconds. Over. As great as Spinks was, I truly think he was flat out scared of Tyson. At that moment, I would have predicted Tyson could never be beat. He was the most dominant athlete I had ever seen in a sport.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Top Boxing Matches you can remember Empty Re: Top Boxing Matches you can remember

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am

Chris M wrote:Not that it was a great fight but Tyson-Spinks was an incredible moment. There was so much hype going into that about Tyson finally having to face a true boxing champ and that Tyson wouldn't be able to overpower him and it was going to be a power vs art many round battle...and....BOOM.....91 seconds. Over. As great as Spinks was, I truly think he was flat out scared of Tyson. At that moment, I would have predicted Tyson could never be beat. He was the most dominant athlete I had ever seen in a sport.

But short lived!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

1-3) Frazier-Ali aka "The brotha from Philadelphia" vs the "Islamic racist"

4) 1976 Olympic Boxing team, incl Sugar Ray Leonard, Howard Davis, The two Spinks brothers, Leo Randolph all with Gold medals

5) Hagler- Hearns

I was at the Tyson Douglas fight--wow!!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 am

I actually remember my uncle coming over to our house to watch the "Thrilla in Manila", but that is about all I really remember of the fight. I did see the Holyfield - Tyson fight in an Atlanta nightclub. Obviously, Holyfield was a big deal in Atlanta, and I also remember watching some of Hagler-Hearns as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 am

I used to have ali frazier memorabilia including the original poster from Thrilla in Manila signed by them which I sold on Ebay many years ago. I don't even want to know what that is worth now.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 am

Kenny B. wrote:He was the most dominant athlete I had ever seen in a sport.

Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl and Michael Vick in Madden '03 and '04 for Playstation 2 were the most dominant. In college we had to ban the use of Vick in our dyntasy leagues.

Oh you mean real life.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:27 am

Chavez vs. De La Hoya

Douglas vs. Tyson

Sugar Ray vs. Hearns (x2)

Tyson vs. Holyfield (1st)

Hagler vs. Hearns.

Common theme is most of the good fights that I can remember are from years ago. Best fights currently are MMA fights in my opinion. Is boxing's golden era over?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

Dave-O wrote:

Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl and Michael Vick in Madden '03 and '04 for Playstation 2 were the most dominant. In college we had to ban the use of Vick in our dyntasy leagues.

Oh you mean real life.

Bo was good in Tecmo. But I was kick ass when I played this game

Top Boxing Matches you can remember Mattel10
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm

All of the "best" boxing matches were boring to watch (like the Ali/Frazier fights - true classics, but just tedious to follow). Or think rope-a-dope. You might want to watch that, but its not for me. Great strategy, etc., but a real snooze.

But by far the ones that were the most fun to watch was when Tyson was so effective. That stuff was unbelievable. Whether you loved him or hated him, it was amazing to watch. I've never seen anything like that, before or since.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

Oh you mean real life.

That's a CLASSIC. They released another one soon after which allowed you to pass the ball too and I was simply unbeatable at that game. The little beeping song they played for the TDs drove my parents nuts as we would play that on road trips. I can't believe how enterained we were by that stuff. Our brains would have melted from joy at seeing half of what a normal 2011 GameBoy could do back then.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Chris M wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:
Dave-O wrote:

Oh you mean real life.

That's a CLASSIC. They released another one soon after which allowed you to pass the ball too and I was simply unbeatable at that game. The little beeping song they played for the TDs drove my parents nuts as we would play that on road trips. I can't believe how enterained we were by that stuff. Our brains would have melted from joy at seeing half of what a normal 2011 GameBoy could do back then.

I remember the passing one. That was the bomb. I also had some boxing handheld game that broke in a few days but it was cool. circa 1979

Top Boxing Matches you can remember Untitl14
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Huge boxing fan. I don't care for autographs, they seem stupid to me. There is only one person in the world that I would care to get an autograph from, and that is Muhammad Ali.

Best fights of all time, imo:

1. Thrilla in Manila - Ali v. Frazier III. The violence and damage inflicted in this fight is like nothing I have ever seen. There have been other similar wars, but not between two all time greats like Ali and Frazier. One of the greatest events in the history of sports.

2. Corrales v. Castillo I - wow. Just wow. A war from the opening bell with the greatest round I've ever seen to finish it. Both guys were at the very top of a strong weight class (Mayweather, Freitas, Casamayor, etc) and were very good fighters. This fight did both of them in. If you haven't seen it, go here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search=Search&resnum=0&oi=spell&search_query=castillo+corrales&spell=1&sa=X

Don't watch the highlights. Don't watch the last round. Watch the whole thing.

3. Gatti v. Ward I - the trilogy was awesome all the way around, but the first fight was by far the best. Also can be found on youtube. If you've seen the movie "The Fighter", you know Mickey Ward. When I heard about the movie, I was excited. When I found out it wouldn't even get to the first Gatti fight, I couldn't believe it. I've heard talk of a sequel and people pan the idea. Those people aren't boxing fans.

Other great fights:
Morales v. Barrera I (wrong decision though)
Holyfield v. Bowe
Rumble in the Jungle - Ali v. Foreman

Great recent fights:
Juan Manuel Marquez v. Michael Katsidis
Brandon Rios v. Urbano Antillon
Marcos Maidana v. Erik Morales

Look out for Marcos Maidana vs. Robert Guerrero on August 27. That will be a war.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:15 pm

As for Tecmo Bowl, you can have Bo Jackson. I'll take Cap Boso.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:54 pm

healdgator wrote:

3. Gatti v. Ward I - the trilogy was awesome all the way around, but the first fight was by far the best. Also can be found on youtube. If you've seen the movie "The Fighter", you know Mickey Ward. When I heard about the movie, I was excited. When I found out it wouldn't even get to the first Gatti fight, I couldn't believe it. I've heard talk of a sequel and people pan the idea. Those people aren't boxing fans.

I'll take Gatti/Ward III... that fight was epic and included a spectacular round 9 and 10...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
healdgator wrote:

I'll take Gatti/Ward III... that fight was epic and included a spectacular round 9 and 10...

Gatti fought the last half of that fight 1 handed, too. I wouldn't rank it with the first one b/c I really never had any doubt that Gatti was going to win the fight.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down