365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread, July 22

+28
Schuey
jon c
Paula Sue
Glenn
ChasMcG
Stephanie
Matt W
Jim fredericks
Penelope
Seth Harrison
Tim M
Dave-O
Chris M
Julie
charles
mul21
Mark B
Jeff F
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Kenny B.
Michael Enright
Tim C
Nick Morris
JohnP
rhondda h
Michael Mitchell
John Kilpatrick
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Friday Thread, July 22 - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Thread, July 22

Post  ChasMcG Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:35 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be? To run a marathon and feel good about it and not hate it.

What is a dream running-related accomplishment for you in 2011? 2012? 2011 - Do the Warrior Dash in under 35 minutes.
What is/are your favorite pre-race song (if you have one)?

What is your proudest running accomplishment? I would say my first 5K. I was 200 pounds and I just kept working and working. I finished knowing my life was about to change. I haven't stopped running since that race, I fell in love with Tim and we changed our whole world for each other, and I've lost 40 pounds and still going strong. I've never gained any of it back and I feel great!

Who do you miss the most from the "other site"? I don't miss anything to be honest. I have it all here.

What is the 2nd part to Dave-O's signature? Who said it? If you don't know, make something up...
Here it is if you haven't seen it - "That's all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve. You'd think any damn fool could do it."

Stay thirsty my friends - From the most interesting man in the world

What, to you, is a high weekly running mileage? To me? 36-40 To the rest of you guys? 100 Trust me, we're on the road the same amount of time Smile

When you were a kid (K-12), what was your favorite vacation? Camping. I miss camping.

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to school? see what cute boys I would have in my classes. Seriously.

What are you most looking forward to this weekend? Running with Tim tomorrow at Barr Trail. I can't wait. Need to go to bed soon!

Happy Friday!!!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:10 am

What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be? BQ, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

What is a dream running-related accomplishment for you in 2011? 2012? I'd like to break 4 hours at St. George in October.

What is/are your favorite pre-race song (if you have one)? Don't have one.

What is your proudest running accomplishment? Finishing my first marathon.

Who do you miss the most from the "other site"? Hal.

What is the 2nd part to Dave-O's signature? Who said it? If you don't know, make something up...
Here it is if you haven't seen it - "That's all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve. You'd think any damn fool could do it."
No clue.

What, to you, is a high weekly running mileage? 50 miles. About as much as I can squeeze into a week, given job and family.

When you were a kid (K-12), what was your favorite vacation? If you never had one, what was your favorite summer activity? A Florida roadtrip with a small old-school trailer.

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to school? Band.

What are you most looking forward to this weekend? A couple of nice dinners with the bride.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 am

Matt W wrote:What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be?

Marry an attractive Olympian. Cool

After reading this, I know what would be my ultimate running related accomplishment...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:53 am

ChasMcG wrote:
What is your proudest running accomplishment? I would say my first 5K. I was 200 pounds and I just kept working and working. I finished knowing my life was about to change. I haven't stopped running since that race, I fell in love with Tim and we changed our whole world for each other, and I've lost 40 pounds and still going strong. I've never gained any of it back and I feel great!

Friday Thread, July 22 - Page 2 424776184

If this were a Facebook status update, I would have to say "like".
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:40 pm

What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be? I don't know...I've accomplished pretty much everything I set out to do except finish up my 50 States (still have 30 out there to do). I'd like to get some ultras under my belt before I hang up my running shoes.

What is a dream running-related accomplishment for you in 2011? Just to be able to run a mile or two...and don't yet know if that is possible 2012? Be able to train for and run at least one spring marathon.

What is/are your favorite pre-race song (if you have one)? Don't have anything special...whatever comes up on my iPod.

What is your proudest running accomplishment? 3rd place AG in the Columbus Marathon 2003, 1st place AG in the Oklahoma City Marathon 2003...probably the best shape I've ever been in. I've gotten lots of other AG awards in small marathons, but am proud of the larger ones.

Who do you miss the most from the "other site"? I miss seeing a blog from Rhondda...I understand her situation and why she's chosen to keep her blog 'over there'.

Here it is if you haven't seen it - "That's all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve. You'd think any damn fool could do it." Legendary Oregon coach, Bill Bowerman. I had to look it up but now I want to read more about the guy. The short bio was awesome!

What, to you, is a high weekly running mileage? 75 to 100 miles...I wish I could do it. I've only gotten myself up to a little over 50 mile weeks when I was in shape and very driven.

When you were a kid (K-12), what was your favorite vacation? Going to Grand Lake with my parents when we lived in Oklahoma. We made multiple trips to Yellowstone Nat'l Park and the Tetons while we lived in WY, but that got really old...long line ups of cars because some fool wanted to sit and watch bears, elk or moose. Grand Lake and fishing was way more productive! If you never had one, what was your favorite summer activity? I LOVED playing outside...I was a forever tomboy and grew up in a neighborhood of all boys. Cowboys and indians...running like fools all over the place. Probably where my desire to start running at 42 yrs of age came from Very Happy

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to school? Seeing kids that didn't live near by.

What are you most looking forward to this weekend? Nothing...the leg is proped up. I'm waiting for Tuesday to get this darn plaster splint off and get into my immobilization boot. I'll still be on crutches but I'm hoping I can get into the shower instead of using the pet sprayer in the jacuzzie tub!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:49 pm

OK I know it's Saturday, but I'll try one of these.

What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be?
It won't happen unless I can devote my entire life to running, but it would be going under 3:05 in the full. That was what I ran in Chicago in 1982 at the age of 25.

What is a dream running-related accomplishment for you in 2011? 2012?
2011 would be completing the 50 miler in the fall in a decent (under 9 hour) time.
2012 I have not evaluated yet since I'm focused on the fall.

My tastes in music vary so it depends on what I'm listening to. Usually don't turn the ipod on until after a few miles, or sometimes not at all depending on the race.

What is your proudest running accomplishment?
I would say it was running with my daughter on her first race (1K in Green Bay) a year ago in May. It was completely her idea to run it.

Who do you miss the most from the "other site"?
I was never involved on the site so I didn't know any better.

Bowerman did according to Google, which knows just about everything. It's a great quote though!

What, to you, is a high weekly running mileage?
To see others pull off 100 plus is high to me. My best was 81 a couple summers ago. I'd like to break that at some point in this training cycle for the 50.

When you were a kid (K-12), what was your favorite vacation? If you never had one, what was your favorite summer activity?
Our family was fortunate to travel around the US quite a bit as kids. My favorite place looking back was probably Glacier Park in Montana.

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to school?
Getting out of school the following May. No doubt.

What are you most looking forward to this weekend?
It is actually not having to go anywhere or be anywhere. Sometimes I like laid back peaceful weekends the most.

Happy Friday!!!
Thank you John for the questions!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Well since I have knocked off running a sub 3 marathon, I have 3 new ultimate goals: 1. sub 2:40 marathon, 2. Win a big Ultra Race like JFK or Western States and 3. become a member of the 25 or more consecutive Boston Marathon finishers club (at 5 right now 20 more to go).

2011- Finish strong at JFK 50 miler and finish in the Top 3 of AG and a Top 10 over all finish.
2012- Better my marathon PR @ Boston and to finish a 100 mile Ultra.

Running Down A Dream & Waiting by Tom Petty, Saint Of Circumstance, Jack Straw, So Many Roads, Built To Last, Comes A Time, Help On The Way and Franklin Tower by Grateful Dead. Soulshine by Allman Brothers Band and Warren Haynes. One More Ride - Allman Brothers Band. Searchin For Soul - Radiators, Cortez The Killer - Gov't Mule, Night Of Thousand Stars, The Real Thing by Phil Lesh & Friends. Black Clouds by String Cheese Incident

Running my first marathon Chicago Oct 9th 2005.

I miss Rhondda wish she would post more over here. Kory because he is such an inspiration. MVW, I feel he would have a lot to offer to this running community also. Oh I miss having threads frozen or deleted because Hal want to.

Bill Bowerman

For me with my training it is 100+ weeks. but for other I would say high mileage would be what one's body can handle week after week without breaking.

When you were a kid (K-12), what was your favorite vacation? If you never had one, what was your favorite summer activity?

Vacation would have been going camping with my dad, I also looked forward to Grateful Dead Summer Tour, oh heck I looked forward to any Dead tour!

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to school?

No more summer chores and Football season.

Chilling out with my wife Lisa and hanging out on the lakefront with her and our dog Hana during our down time between runs. It's always cool being out on the lakefront looking back at the city especially at sun set!

Happy Friday!!!

Last edited by Schuey on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Matt W wrote:What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be?

Marry an attractive Olympian. Cool

After reading this, I know what would be my ultimate running related accomplishment...

Friday Thread, July 22 - Page 2 424776184
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:57 pm

An exerpt from a 2005 Runners World article - one of Bill Bowerman's speeches to his runners went contained this:

“Take a primitive organism,” he continued, his voice oil and sweet reason, “any weak, pitiful organism. Say a freshman. Make it lift or jump or run. Let it rest. What happens? A little miracle. It gets a little better. It gets a little stronger or faster or more enduring. That’s all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve.
You’d think any damn fool could do it, even…” He turned, squinted, went far away somewhere, and turned back. “But you don’t. You work too hard and rest too little and you get hurt...."

Probably something good to keep in mind for all of us (at least for me) - thanks for the quote, Dave!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Friday Thread, July 22 - Page 2 Empty Friday Thread, July 22
Friday Thread, July 22 - Page 2 Empty John Kilpatrick on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:40 pm

to run a fifty miler ,and complete an iron man

2011 pr in marathon that means 4:35 or better. 2012 run an ultra

born to Run

the fact that I do run still amazes me I used to hate it. Now it's who I am:lol:

Hal

I cheated and read everyone elese answer first so I know it's Bill Bowerman/Dave O

50 miles is my high

My favorite activity was swimming then trips late at night for Carvel Ice Cream yum yum

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to

school?

New clothes and meeting new kids
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Better late than never....

Winning a 100. Or Badwater.

At least an AG win in an ultra (anything longer than a marathon). Sub-3 in a marathon.

Speech from Versus (TV channel) promo commercial for 2010. "It's you versus NO!"

BQ.

No one.

You ask what it is then tell us? I'm confused. I forget who said it.

For me... 75+. In general, 100+.

Went to Africa for 18 days (Kenya and Tanzania) the summer after... 7th grade. Since I'm still a kid, currently it's camping. Preferably backpacking, or at least very minimalist car camping, but any camping will do.

Seeing my friends/cute girls every day. I'm looking forward to the routine as well as getting very involved in the Deaf community up north when I go back to school in the fall.

Had I done this on Friday, it would've been Saturday's run. But since I'm doing it Monday, we'll go to next weekend... Aileen's going away party. Well, I'm half looking forward to it, half not, since I'm pretty sure I'll end up shedding a few tears. But it should be a really fun gathering.

Happy Monday Laughing
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:An exerpt from a 2005 Runners World article - one of Bill Bowerman's speeches to his runners went contained this:

“Take a primitive organism,” he continued, his voice oil and sweet reason, “any weak, pitiful organism. Say a freshman. Make it lift or jump or run. Let it rest. What happens? A little miracle. It gets a little better. It gets a little stronger or faster or more enduring. That’s all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve.
You’d think any damn fool could do it, even…” He turned, squinted, went far away somewhere, and turned back. “But you don’t. You work too hard and rest too little and you get hurt...."

Probably something good to keep in mind for all of us (at least for me) - thanks for the quote, Dave!

It's the magical formula...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 pm

What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be? Qualifying for Boston.

What is a dream running-related accomplishment for you in 2011? 2012? Running a good Chicago Marathon in 2011 and BQ-ing at Bayshore in 2012.

What is/are your favorite pre-race song (if you have one)? Mumford and Sons, "Awake My Soul"

What is your proudest running accomplishment? Running the Chicago Marathon in 2007 as my first marathon and finishing. Loved the Chas hug as I crossed the finish line!

Who do you miss the most from the "other site"? Absolutely no one.

Here it is if you haven't seen it - "That's all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve. You'd think any damn fool could do it." My husband said it. No? Ok, someone famous...but he says stuff like that all the time.

What, to you, is a high weekly running mileage? 80 miles

When you were a kid (K-12), what was your favorite vacation? If you never had one, what was your favorite summer activity? Hard to choose....Going to Traverse City for the summer. Going to Mackinac and having pasties; anytime we camped.

When you were a kid (K-12), what did you look the most forward to in going back to school? The Trapper Keeper and the paper to put into it. I also liked clothes shopping. I swear, it didn't matter if it was 80 degrees...if I had the cute pants, I was wearing them! Haha!

What are you most looking forward to this weekend? My long run and an extra spicy bloody mary
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:What would your ultimate running-related accomplishment be? Qualifying for Boston.

What is a dream running-related accomplishment for you in 2011? 2012? Running a good Chicago Marathon in 2011 and BQ-ing at Bayshore in 2012.

Looks like we have the same ultimate goal and plan although I'll be somewhere else in the fall. Hopefuly we both can let it fly at Bayshore and get it done.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2