365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Best Piriformis Stretches

Go down

Best Piriformis Stretches Empty Best Piriformis Stretches

Post  Tom H on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 pm

I've got a pain that comes and goes and is hard to pin down, but seems to 'feel' like it is anterior groin. When I can feel it, I cannot palpate it to definitely locate it, so suspect it is a piriformis issue where the nerve is being pinched. I've been doing my standard piriformis stretches regularly, but may be missing the 'right' stretching motion to correct this particular issue.

So, what is your favorite piriformis stretch? If you've got a link to a site that demos it, all the better Smile
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Best Piriformis Stretches Empty Re: Best Piriformis Stretches

Post  Jeff F on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Tom, have you tried to roll on a foam roller or a tennis ball? I use a combination of the traditional stretches, rolling and massage to deal with my piriformis issue. I think the tennis ball works best because you can really grind it into the specific spot, and my tends to be pretty deep in that group of muscles.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:07 pm

@Jeff F wrote:Tom, have you tried to roll on a foam roller or a tennis ball? I use a combination of the traditional stretches, rolling and massage to deal with my piriformis issue. I think the tennis ball works best because you can really grind it into the specific spot, and my tends to be pretty deep in that group of muscles.

I would have to agree with Jeff on using the foam roller tennis ball. The other thing I used a lot of when I just had this problem was my trigger point. Once I found the spot that hurt or had the knot I would stop on that spot and hold it for 20 to 30 seconds. It would hurt like hell but I keep doing that for a few weeks and it really help cleared up my problem.

Must also add that I used the electric stim on it also 2 to 3 times a day.

As for stretches I have some links I will post but I have to go through them and find all the good ones. I will do it in a little, time to jump in the shower and rehydrate after my 14 mile run that turned into 15 today. affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum