365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Sidewalk Etiquette

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Randy E on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:I think there are people that are just unaware and appear to be rude (those would be people you come up from behind). I think the rude ones are the ones that walk right toward you as if you are not on the sidewalk. I run and walk on the sidewalk and this irritates me. In fact, I walk to and from work everyday and shoulder check about 2 people on average everyday. The sidewalk is 8 wide and there will be 7 people hogging the sidewalk and 1 random, clueless moron that tries to make it 8 wide....at a detriment to them, because I'm not moving. This happened today to a chick that looked right at me and walked straight toward me. I didn't move and our shoulders met and I kept walking like nothing happened. She gasped. It hurt a little because I'm sunburned.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I have more sympathy for those with their backs to me (even though they should use their God given brains to realize people may be behind them...I digress). I have zero patience for those walking/running toward me....with 2 exceptions: you're elderly or you're pregnant. Outside of that, your ass is potentially on the ground.

I agree with Schuey. I remember posting this on TP and everyone jumped all over my ass for running into people. People need to learn to share the sidewalk. If they look at me and don't move, if I'm in the mood there will be a collision. Or, I may stop right in front of that person and ask them if I am invisible. Or, if I'm in a polite mood I will just stop grab them by the shoulder and move them. Then I say have a nice day.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Posts : 177
Points : 3418
Join date : 2011-06-16

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

@Randy E wrote:I agree with Schuey. I remember posting this on TP and everyone jumped all over my ass for running into people. People need to learn to share the sidewalk. If they look at me and don't move, if I'm in the mood there will be a collision. Or, I may stop right in front of that person and ask them if I am invisible. Or, if I'm in a polite mood I will just stop grab them by the shoulder and move them. Then I say have a nice day.


I like it... Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 424776184
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12795
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 39
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:

On another note... when you approach a pedestrian from behind, do you say "passing" or "on your left" or do you just quietly creep up behind and scare the shit out of them?

When coming up from behind I yell out, "on your left!" a ways back. If they don't hear me, I yell, "behind you!" then I'll yell, "watch out!" when I get 2 inches from them. Most of the time, I assume they don't hear me and I just run around them. When they turn around and acknowledge my comments and proceed to ignore them...well.....I can't guarantee the outcome....Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Gaah I should state that most of the time, those that do the aforementioned are the spoiled little shit teens that wander aimlessly around the Lakefront Path. No mercy. Twisted Evil Be afraid teens, be very afraid Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Afraid
When I am around tourist spots like Navy Pier, Shedd, etc., I do my best to run around people because I assume they aren't used to foot traffic. Twisted Evil

I agree with Randy. If you are running toward me and see me and don't move, you're rude and I'm not invisible. As mentioned prior this applies to just walking to work as well.


Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1125
Points : 4642
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 43
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Natalie Wolf wrote:

On another note... when you approach a pedestrian from behind, do you say "passing" or "on your left" or do you just quietly creep up behind and scare the shit out of them?

When coming up from behind I yell out, "on your left!" a ways back. If they don't hear me, I yell, "behind you!" then I'll yell, "watch out!" when I get 2 inches from them. Most of the time, I assume they don't hear me and I just run around them. When they turn around and acknowledge my comments and proceed to ignore them...well.....I can't guarantee the outcome....Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Gaah I should state that those that do the aforementioned are the spoiled little shit teens that wander aimlessly around the Lakefront Path. No mercy. Twisted Evil Be afraid teens, be very afraid [url="http://zaazu.com"]Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Afraid-male-afraid-frightened-smiley-emoticon-000293-medium[/url]
When I am around tourist spots like Navy Pier, Shedd, etc., I do my best to run around people because I assume they aren't used to foot traffic. Twisted Evil

I agree with Randy. If you are running toward me and see me and don't move, you're rude and I'm not invisible. As mentioned prior this applies to just walking to work as well.

First off...welcome back...I missed all of the emoticons...

Second...I normally state on your left/right whichever is easier to go around or I cough or try to make some type of noise. Normally, they hear me coming...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12795
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 39
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Damn! I got quoted before I changed the emoticon! Hahaha!

Thanks for the welcome, it's nice to be back!!! bounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1125
Points : 4642
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 43
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  gvey on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 am

Natalie Wolf wrote:

On another note... when you approach a pedestrian from behind, do you say "passing" or "on your left" or do you just quietly creep up behind and scare the shit out of them?

Definitely scare the shit out of them. Way too much fun.
gvey
gvey
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 14
Points : 3235
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 59

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Liz R on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:18 am

Ha! I say "on your left." Today I had to say "slicha, btzad smol". The lady in front of me still looked startled, but I took advantage of her confusion to get around her. Like the crowd, I give people ahead of me, backs to me, little kids, old people, and people with dogs the benefit of the doubt. The able bodied who can see me coming better scoot over.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Posts : 205
Points : 3422
Join date : 2011-06-16

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Joel H on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 am

I recognize most of the runners/walkers that I see in the morning because there are so few of us but I still try my best to make sure they know I am coming, if from behind. The people that are coming at me I know which ones will move and won't move so I base it off prior experience. The cyclists in my area are the worst though...the car traffic is light when I run so they should really be on the road but some of them ride on the sidewalk and they are terrible at communicating. They are in their own little world and don't believe in giving anyone a warning they are coming. I nearly got run over this morning but I saw his headlamp coming up behind me and moved out of the way. He said "oops, sorry!" when he passed and I let out a grunt. I would probably act different if I ran with a lot more people around me as I hate discourteous people.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Posts : 539
Points : 3751
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 41
Location : The Hottest Part of the Sun!

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Ok, so on my way into work today I decided to record the amount of idiots on the sidewalk. This is a daily occurrence going to work and coming from work. Notice the guy in pink reading his book toward the beginning of the video! READING HIS BOOK, PEOPLE!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad (you can ignore my 20% remaining battery message).

The video captures how rude people are taking up the whole sidewalk walking right toward me and those behind me. It's the area right before the bridge and then going over the bridge and then shortly after the bridge. I would've bummed into them, but I didn't want to lose my phone in the Chicago River. Jerks. Grrrr!

View My Video

Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1125
Points : 4642
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 43
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Jerry on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey Lisa, funny, when I click the dismiss button of the low battery warning, it goes away. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1005060
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Admin on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:Ok, so on my way into work today I decided to record the amount of idiots on the sidewalk. This is a daily occurrence going to work and coming from work. Notice the guy in pink reading his book toward the beginning of the video! READING HIS BOOK, PEOPLE!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad (you can ignore my 20% remaining battery message).

The video captures how rude people are taking up the whole sidewalk walking right toward me and those behind me. It's the area right before the bridge and then going over the bridge and then shortly after the bridge. I would've bummed into them, but I didn't want to lose my phone in the Chicago River. Jerks. Grrrr!

View My Video


Given how many people I see I'm not sure how you expect them to get out of your way. Looks to me like people using the sidewalk to get from A to B on a workday. Those people aren't just out for a stroll. Just a different perspective, I guess. Still, I wouldn't even try to run in that area during that time of day if it's always that crowded.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 4698
Join date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Tim M on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 pm

I will generally let them know I'm passing if I come up from behind them. Or I'll run around them if it looks like it would be hard for them to move over.

There was one time when I was running around a lake along a path. There was a group of walkers coming towards me. They saw me. I could not move off the path because of some walls in this spot. I kept running. They kept walking. They were not going to move over.

So I brushed up against one of them trying to pass. I was really sweaty at the time, so the guy slimed pretty good. He started to yell at me (in German) and I kept going.

I rounded the lake and saw them again. This time I heard the guy start yelling at his group and they ALL moved off the sidewalk for me to run past.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

Posts : 414
Points : 3661
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : 5280

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  stanton on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:55 pm

I run into this problem more with walking than with running. I typically run really early in the morning when no one is around. Walking around in DC is horrible. There are constantly pre-teens walking arm in arm strolling down the sidewalk who barely let you even walk by, much less run; not to mention the side by side double strollers. Ugh. I'm working on not letting it bother me. I try to just find a way around. You'll go crazy if you try to over think who is right on stuff like this. It really doesn't matter. You can either hurt people who aren't paying attention/dont' care or just try to get through your run. I have very low expectations and expect everyone to move directly in front of me when I'm running. It's not worth stressing about it.
stanton
stanton
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 43
Points : 3267
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 44
Location : Washington DC

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:
@Mrs. Schuey wrote:Ok, so on my way into work today I decided to record the amount of idiots on the sidewalk. This is a daily occurrence going to work and coming from work. Notice the guy in pink reading his book toward the beginning of the video! READING HIS BOOK, PEOPLE!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad (you can ignore my 20% remaining battery message).

The video captures how rude people are taking up the whole sidewalk walking right toward me and those behind me. It's the area right before the bridge and then going over the bridge and then shortly after the bridge. I would've bummed into them, but I didn't want to lose my phone in the Chicago River. Jerks. Grrrr!

View My Video


Given how many people I see I'm not sure how you expect them to get out of your way. Looks to me like people using the sidewalk to get from A to B on a workday. Those people aren't just out for a stroll. Just a different perspective, I guess. Still, I wouldn't even try to run in that area during that time of day if it's always that crowded.

I agree...my initial thought was the casual neghborhood walkers. Not the city hustle and bustle. (I am not sure if I could stand running through that mess)
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12795
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 39
Location : Madison, WI

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Diego on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 am

Natalie Wolf wrote:
@Dave-O wrote:In an ideal world, the walkers will yield.

But when I run, I operate under the assumption that every driver and pedestrian has his or her head firmly implanted up their ass. Thus, I just take the initiative to move out of the way.

+1

It's not worth the risk of getting hit by a car -- the car will win every time. And I don't think there are specific rules for sidewalks. We all share them, so if the people coming toward you don't yield then the runner should. What purpose does it serve to run directly into them? No wonder I think sometimes drivers are aiming for me! They've probably had a run-in with a rude runner.

On another note... when you approach a pedestrian from behind, do you say "passing" or "on your left" or do you just quietly creep up behind and scare the shit out of them?

I give them messy underwear because every time I say "right"--they move in to my way. Growling from behind is fun, too. Mad dog, mad dog!! cheers
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Posts : 599
Points : 3989
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 56
Location : Maine

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Kevin L on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:36 pm

It's quite a challenge running up on some dog walker with a feisty dog on a leash that extends all too far. Don't get me wrong: I love dogs - but I love running more.


Last edited by Kevin L on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin L
Kevin L
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 69
Points : 3276
Join date : 2011-07-12
Age : 38
Location : NJ

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Natalie on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Lisa, you need to find another route or time of day to run. Clearly, you're the only one going against the traffic and that sidewalk is pretty damn crowded! Those people are going to work or coming off the el or something. I thought you were going to show video of people out for a casual stroll. Not only do they not have anywhere to move to, because of the density of the crowd, but they are probably not expecting a runner to be coming at them from the opposite direction.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Posts : 391
Points : 3625
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Sidewalk Etiquette - Page 2 Empty Re: Sidewalk Etiquette

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum