365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone else...

+14
Natalie
Bob
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
John Kilpatrick
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
JohnP
Dave-O
Glenn
Tim M
Julie
Nick Morris
Kevin C
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does anyone else... Empty Does anyone else...

Post  Kevin C Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 am

...enjoy punching the side of cars that roll through intersections and stop signs almost hitting you as you run?

It felt good on my run this morning.
Kevin C
Kevin C

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else... Empty Re: Does anyone else...

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 am

Kevin C wrote:...enjoy punching the side of cars that roll through intersections and stop signs almost hitting you as you run?

I have definitley done this before!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 am

Ugh, I've done this a few times and then I've been honked at and they've circled the block so I really really avoid it now because I'm afraid of retaliation. I also had my husband lecture me about it more than once.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am

Julie wrote:Ugh, I've done this a few times and then I've been honked at and they've circled the block so I really really avoid it now because I'm afraid of retaliation. I also had my husband lecture me about it more than once.

I pounded on the trunk of a car that almost hit me. The punks in the car circled around and started yelling at me. I yelled back that they almost ran me over. One of the kids in the back of the car then yelled, "Dude, you almost hit him!" and smacked the driver in the head.

I don't do it anymore because I remember a joke from Ron White: "I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use"
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:48 am

Tim M wrote:
Julie wrote:Ugh, I've done this a few times and then I've been honked at and they've circled the block so I really really avoid it now because I'm afraid of retaliation. I also had my husband lecture me about it more than once.

I pounded on the trunk of a car that almost hit me. The punks in the car circled around and started yelling at me. I yelled back that they almost ran me over. One of the kids in the back of the car then yelled, "Dude, you almost hit him!" and smacked the driver in the head.

I don't do it anymore because I remember a joke from Ron White: "I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use"

Tater Salad!!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 am

Tim M wrote:

That's a handy piece of information to have, right there.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 pm

One of life's simple pleasures.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I used to do this more often. It's unbelievable how many drivers pull up to a stop sign, go through the stop sign and the cross walk , all the while staring off to the left and not even glancing at the right for pedestrians/bikers/runners. So basically I learned to allow for it and not come close enough to the car. But on rare occasions, it's so blatent that even knowing it might happen is not enough. Usually I yell rather than hit the car though.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:35 pm

I used to do this more often. It's unbelievable how many drivers pull up to a stop sign, go through the stop sign and the cross walk , all the while staring off to the left and not even glancing at the right for pedestrians/bikers/runners. So basically I learned to allow for it and not come close enough to the car. But on rare occasions, it's so blatent that even knowing it might happen is not enough. Usually I yell rather than hit the car though.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Kevin C wrote:...enjoy punching the side of cars that roll through intersections and stop signs almost hitting you as you run?

Haha! My hubby spits on them! We get a lot of cabbies around here that think they own the road. We've both punch the sides of cars, and yes, it feels really good Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:11 pm

JohnP wrote:..all the while staring off to the left and not even glancing at the right for pedestrians/bikers/runners.

Why is that?!? I've noticed that on every occasion that this is what happens. WHY?! Look to your right, people!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Tim M wrote:

Tater Salad!!!!

"I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability." Haha! That dude is so freaking funny.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Tim M wrote:

Tater Salad!!!!

"I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability." Haha! That dude is so freaking funny.

"The cop was like, "Mr. White, you are being charged with drunk in public!" I was like, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I was drunk in a bar. They threw me into public!!."

Classic...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:58 pm

I was running from my house to my parents house on a 20 miler 2 winters ago. A truck/suv was pulling out from his street making a right hand turn. I was running towards him going against traffic. He starts inching out and I am thinking this guy must see me then as I am about to pass the front of his bumper he goes, my right hand gently taps his right side of his truck...

I continue running around his car and down the street and all of sudden I see his car stop he gets out yelling "You motha' Fker, who they f' do you think you are touching my f'kn car I f'kn kill you."

Well I sped a up a quite a bit heart racing and would you know this son of bitch comes after me in his truck. Now I am in area that I don't know and the grass and woods are full of snow. So I thought this can go two ways. I can let the guy come up to me and wait for him to go off on me and possibly try to kill me or I can be a bit more evolved...

So, as his truck rides along side of me I am still running now a bit slower he rolls down his window and before he can say anything I say "I am sorry for hitting you car I was did not think you saw me and I got scared. I am sorry". Amazingly he waved and rolled up his window without a peep. I diffused the situation.

Now granted I was not happy being chased down and being threatened but I had to think who was more scared him or me. I would say he was. Not sure his fear maybe not being in control. Maybe I scared him by hitting his car so he reacted.

I have learn drivers don't look right when making a right. I do but most don't.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 pm

good move Kenny. Bummer this is even a topic, but I've had the same thing happen. I'm more scared of dogs, which is why I normally only can run a couple of routes around home and end up most of the time running on highways. I figure at least I can see the car coming and if it misses me the first time it won't keep trying to come back and hit me more. I hate dogs (or at least, most dogs - or, at least, most dog owners in my part of the world...).

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Kenny B. wrote:I was running from my house to my parents house on a 20 miler 2 winters ago. A truck/suv was pulling out from his street making a right hand turn. I was running towards him going against traffic. He starts inching out and I am thinking this guy must see me then as I am about to pass the front of his bumper he goes, my right hand gently taps his right side of his truck...

I continue running around his car and down the street and all of sudden I see his car stop he gets out yelling "You motha' Fker, who they f' do you think you are touching my f'kn car I f'kn kill you."

Well I sped a up a quite a bit heart racing and would you know this son of bitch comes after me in his truck. Now I am in area that I don't know and the grass and woods are full of snow. So I thought this can go two ways. I can let the guy come up to me and wait for him to go off on me and possibly try to kill me or I can be a bit more evolved...

So, as his truck rides along side of me I am still running now a bit slower he rolls down his window and before he can say anything I say "I am sorry for hitting you car I was did not think you saw me and I got scared. I am sorry". Amazingly he waved and rolled up his window without a peep. I diffused the situation.

Now granted I was not happy being chased down and being threatened but I had to think who was more scared him or me. I would say he was. Not sure his fear maybe not being in control. Maybe I scared him by hitting his car so he reacted.

I have learn drivers don't look right when making a right. I do but most don't.

I'd have flicked him off, but I'm decidedly less evolved than you.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:42 pm

I've done it, but I'm usually pretty timid so that I don't for fear of retaliation. When I run in Atlanta in the mornings, it is often Moms taking kids to school (why they don't ride buses if they are available to them mystifies me!) who are often oblivious.

An John, I agree on the dog issue as dogs are who bother me here in NY as I run through the country not cars as they are used to having to watch for Amish buggies and cyclists.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Kenny B. wrote:

You should have told him it would be better to turn his fear into excitement.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:46 pm

I do everything I can to make sure a driver sees me, but if I don't make direct eye contact and wave (with a wave in return) I assume that the driver is distracted and doesn't see me. I assume a driver will not look right. I have caught myself doing the exact same thing that I get mad at "other" drivers for doing... So, no, I don't punch cars.

However... I run on the side of the road facing traffic. You would be surprised how many drivers (and runners/walkers) don't know that this is the correct and safe way to run/walk on the road. I have had drivers make eye contact with me as they aim their vehicle at me! In that case, I jump out of their way and give them the finger. Just so you know... I'm not always nice. Wink
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Bob wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

You should have told him it would be better to turn his fear into excitement.

LOL yea that would have went over well.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:You would be surprised how many drivers (and runners/walkers) don't know that this is the correct and safe way to run/walk on the road.

I try to pick my spots to flip to the other side of the road, but I find if I put a lot of miles in that always running with the road sloped one direction will do weird things to my back/knees/feet. That is also weird but I've had the same thing - where a driver makes eye contact but then either gets closer or refuses to move over at all. Almost like they are offended that I'm on "their" road. I don't normally get road shoulders to run on, so it can get a little sketchy sometimes. I'm envious of people with trails to run on!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Natalie Wolf wrote:You would be surprised how many drivers (and runners/walkers) don't know that this is the correct and safe way to run/walk on the road.

I try to pick my spots to flip to the other side of the road, but I find if I put a lot of miles in that always running with the road sloped one direction will do weird things to my back/knees/feet. That is also weird but I've had the same thing - where a driver makes eye contact but then either gets closer or refuses to move over at all. Almost like they are offended that I'm on "their" road. I don't normally get road shoulders to run on, so it can get a little sketchy sometimes. I'm envious of people with trails to run on!!!

Except many trails are more dangerous than running on the roads, at least it seems that way around here. People turning right are the worst. I have had people yell at me for walking straight in a cross walk when I had the light with my baby. That is what gets me more, is people nearly hitting me when I am holding my little girl. I have called the police before with license plate numbers of drivers who have run red lights and turned in front of me.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Yep I have done it and it sure does feel good. I have this problem must of the times with the cab drivers here in the city.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Julie wrote:Except many trails are more dangerous than running on the roads, at least it seems that way around here.

Bummer - I guess the grass is always greener... That would totally freak me out if I had my son with me and something like that happened. Mad

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm a lover not a fighter but I have done it! My adrenaline was so high, I didn't even get to enjoy the punch. It was a tweeker. That bitch saw me and still proceeded to hit me. I would have pulled him out of the car if he didn't have his kid (who looked like he didn't have bath in several weeks).

TWEEKERS SUCK!

Carry on
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum