365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails and Travails

+34
jon c
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Jim Lentz
GregC
JohnP
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Randy E
mul21
Tom H
Neil Ruggiero
ChasMcG
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Jeff F
Matt W
Jerry
Dave-O
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
38 posters

Page 27 of 27 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27

Go down

Trails and Travails - Page 27 Empty Re: Trails and Travails

Post  Dave P Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Praying for you Mike. Injuries suck!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks Dave. Yes, they do.

A note on prayer:
Let me start by saying that I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible in all this. Because frankly, while skeptical, I'm not beyond the possibility of there being some sliver (or more) of truth to all this...
I recently read Wendy's blog about her first pain-free run since May. If you haven't read it yet, the bottom line is that she attributes it to God.
A friend of mine up here, after I thoroughly bitched about my knee on Tuesday, asked if I wanted her to pray for it. I told her to do whatever she wanted, but I would appreciate the channeling of good thoughts. She texted me that night saying she'd forgotten, shoot, but did I want her to? I said go ahead.
I woke up yesterday and felt zero pain. All day. Except that slight half hour in class. She just laughed and gave one of those, "mhmmm" smiles.
I explained to her that yesterday was the first day I didn't do anything to "test" it, though during a set of wall-sits (gotta do SOMETHING) the knee did feel wonky. It was the other side, though, and more muscular than the joint itself. Went away within 2 minutes, too. But other than that, I really, really took it easy yesterday. No walking, no running, no nothing. And no pain. Which is, of course, a confounding factor, since two variables changed at once.

Bottom line: I'm skeptical, and that's a whole different discussion, but I am completely able to appreciate the intent behind prayer and the possibility that, at the very least, putting out positive thoughts into the world might actually do some good. Or, knowing about those positive thoughts might act as a placebo that actually works to help my leg heal up.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:09 pm

You perked my interest with that post Mike. I don't believe in the power of positive thoughts affecting anyone but the person thinking them & those maybe immediately around that person that can physically see/ experience the positive attitude. There's definitely a lot of evidence to the benefits of having a positive mind set. However, I'm a big believer in the power of God. Prayer is just our way of communicating with Him. The act of praying itself has no power - it's who you're praying to. God is sovereign, which means he's in control of everything. Anything good or evil that occurs in this world is due to Him causing it, or allowing it for His reasons. I could go on, but to keep this running related, there's a purpose in all our injuries beyond just telling us that we've pushed things too far. In my case of past injuries, it could be that I needed to cut back & give more time to other priorities in my life. In your case, it could be a way of God drawing you to Him. I just ask that you keep an open mind.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Poor Mike.

If you love to run, run. If you love to race, rest. You can't have both.

Rest, Mike. Just rest!

Maybe have some drinks or a lot. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 pm

I agree with Dave, when I pray, I pray to the Creator God. And sometimes I've prayed for injuries to be healed and then been stupid and stubborn and kept running and made them worse. Prayer isn't magic but for Christians, it's talking with God, with whom I have a personal relationship.

I hope you can figure out how much running you can do while staying healthy. Injuries are tough, especially when running is such a huge part of your life. I haven't been able to run much lately either and it's really wearing me down and by the time I'm up for running it'll probably be in the icy/snowy part of winter. Just waiting for March or April I guess.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:11 pm

...Fuck you, knee. I give you 3 days completely off and you thank me with 1 mile before you stop me. Fickle bitch.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:...Fuck you, knee. I give you 3 days completely off and you thank me with 1 mile before you stop me. Fickle bitch.

That sucks, but does your knee like it when you talk dirty to it?

Maybe you need to try a sincere apology, followed up (of course) with champagne and chocolate? drunken
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Agreed - that does suck. Wish I had something more to offer, but hang in there....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:...Fuck you, knee. I give you 3 days completely off and you thank me with 1 mile before you stop me. Fickle bitch.

Maybe you haven't given it enough beer.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:39 pm

healdgator wrote:

Maybe you haven't given it enough beer.

Twisted Evil
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Been there Mike, hang in there.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 pm

This may be all new-wave-y of me, but I think there's some truth to the idea that recovery occurs more quickly when you're enjoying yourself. A fellow trail runner said that to me when we were on a 20-miler back in September.

Haven't tested the knee since Saturday, BUT at the same time, I haven't felt one iota of pain or niggle. Same with the foot. It's almost like it never happened. Which I'm sure will be completely reversed tomorrow when I "test" it again. I'm strongly considering having the help of some anti-inflammatory meds about an hour before I head out the door. But really, I think the amount of happiness Aileen has brought to Auburn has really helped me stop thinking about the knee and enjoy what's really important. Haven't had much beer yet, to be honest, but tons of wine, bread/oil/vinegar, and other yummy vegan food.

Fingers crossed.

I think this blog is coming to a close. I might give periodic updates on the knee if it continues to be an issue, but between Thxgiving and Christmas I think it'll be a lot of cycling and as much easy running as possible, then I'll kick off the new blog sometime around Christmas or New Year's. My first Boston blog. How exciting.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 am

Mike MacLellan wrote: ... am completely able to appreciate the intent behind prayer and the possibility that, at the very least, putting out positive thoughts into the world might actually do some good. Or, knowing about those positive thoughts might act as a placebo that actually works to help my leg heal up.

I agree totally with your thoughts here Mike. Well said.
I'm glad to see the knee and seem to be better. Hope today's "test" goes well.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:16 am

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy the cycling and Thanksgiving and Christmas and get all healed up to train for Boston!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 27 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27