365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 pm

@KBFitz wrote:
@Schuey wrote:
... JFK 50 ...
Yes some of the race is on technical trail and as I have stated I will be doing some traveling to some trails that have some place technical trails. Actually one of the places I will be doing some training is on the Superior Hiking trail were Scott Jurek started his trail running and even trained for WS100. ... So, yes I'm lucky that I have place to go to and train on some tough trails.
Suspect So, when I was planning to run my first JFK50, I stopped in to our local Fleet Feet store run by Phil Fenty (father of Adrian Fenty, recent one-term Mayor of DC). There's a photo of Phil running WS100 behind the counter (a race he likes) and he's also run the JFK50 (a race he doesn't like). I mentioned I was going to try to run the AT portion of the race course several times over the summer just to get a feel for it. He made a look that was half No and half Rolling Eyes ... "Nobody does that", he said. "Too much risk of injury." After running it, I agree.

It's important that you learn how to run trails. It's partly foot lift but mostly about concentration. Take a few spills and you'll get the idea. It's not important -- and in fact risky -- to train on technical trails. [[Experienced trail runners may benefit from training on technically challenging trails -- but accomplished road runners looking to break into the trail circuit would be well-advised to train on less challenging trails with good footing.]] You increase the risk of injury without learning anything more than a non-technical trail run can teach you (about foot lift and concentration). So take it from Phil [ No Rolling Eyes ] and me ... don't seek out trails with difficult footing, boulders, rocks hidden by leaves, etc. Rather, run trails with good footing and possibly some fairly steep hills both up and down -- it will serve you well, in terms of learning the unique skills of trail running, without putting your knees, ankles, wrists, elbows and face at undue risk. Most of all, enjoy yourself!

Thanks for this information Kevin and point is well taken. I will PM you later to see if you have some time to talk this weekend.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 pm

@jon c wrote:I have read through your blog and wanted you to know I appreciate your sharing your journey with us on how you got to where you are today. It seems like so many that end up in addiction never seem to be able to muster the courage to break out of the cycle. Having never been through it myself, it's hard to understand from the standpoint of experience, but it IS inspiring to see that it can be overcome.

You seem to be much more of an advanced runner than I in terms of mileage and training plans and I look forward to learning from you and others on this board on how to maximize my running experience as I move closer toward senior citizen status.Cool

Again, thanks for sharing and glad your week of training after vacation went well especially in this heat and humidity.

Thanks for the visit Jon. No problem on sharing my story, it is who I am and it helps others get to know who I am. I'm not sure how advance I am but I can tell you this that I learn just as much from everyone else around here as others learn from me. I think that is the great think about running no matter what level people are at everyone still can learn something from everyone.

@John Kilpatrick wrote:
@Schuey wrote:REGROUP & CONQUER!

I like it.

Great couple of runs after an impressive week. I love those days where everything flows like that. I like your mental preparation - seems to be working well!!!

Yeah I can like the saying also John. I like it too when everything starts to flow and it just comes because I know there will be enough days when it will be tough. I have always thought that most of my success in running has come from my mental preparation. That is why I'm banking a lot on my success in ultra races on my mental prep, will at least then I will find out how mentally tough I am or not.

@Jim Lentz wrote:Your training is looking great. It was nice to have lunch with you and Lisa on Sunday.

@fostever wrote:Hey man, Nice blog. You kind of threw me with the song reference. Can't place it even with all my head experience. Googling it brings up this blog, funny your blog is #1 google famous for "A Hundred different Demons." Anyhoo, glad you're back on course, boy are you back!!! Yeah, I could see you mixing it up with the nation's best Ultra runners and that ain't a stretch! Looking forward to sharing the experience with you at some point soon! Hey if you do Badwater some day sign me up to crew for ya! When will the smiley's do a "Steal Your Face," probably copyright issues?

Hey Mr. Foster I was wondering when I was going to get a visit from you. HaHa I knew I would throw you a curveball with the title. I actually went with a country tune for this blog. I figure I have to mix it up every once an while and I thought that this song was a great title for what I have been through in life and what I'm getting ready to go through with doing my first 50 miler.
Badwater is on the list so I will not forget that you would like to crew. Thanks for the vote of confidence with being able to mix it up with the nation's best! That means a lot thanks buddy.

@Kenny B. wrote:Wow. Some great runs coming out of you and you seem to be in your happy place. What ever affirmation mantra gets you to your goal sounds wonderful.

I think getting into JFK 50 is huge motivational factor. You are moving to a new place (as we always are).

You hit it Kenny I'm in my happy place right now. And your quote in your blog nails that point. No doubt that getting in to the JFK 50 and knowing it is for real has made a huge difference. Not to say running Chicago wasn't but I'm just at the point were I needed something new and fresh to fire me up a little.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 pm

@Chris M wrote:How's my 2:59 pacer looking these days......[reading]........yikes, you are too fast for me! If you really do want to slum it back there with me on race day, that would be fun but feel free to just run your race too and do something more aggressive.

Hey Chris I won't call it slumming hanging out and running with you buddy. You are a very talent runner and it would be my honor to be able to run with you and see that excitement on your face when you nail that first sub 3. I remember that feeling very well. And no I'm not to fast for you buddy!

@mul21 wrote:
@Chris M wrote:How's my 2:59 pacer looking these days......[reading]........yikes, you are too fast for me! If you really do want to slum it back there with me on race day, that would be fun but feel free to just run your race too and do something more aggressive.

Um, yeah, he's not running with you. You're both going to run huge PRs and get more points for the Steamrollers! That's all there is to it!

Why looks like the coach is putting the law down and putting a little pressure on us. Ok coach.

@Julie wrote:I'm impressed you handle the heat that well. I'm struggling and ready for some cooler temps/dew pts/humidity.

Good for you you sound like you're all fresh and motivated and ready to tackle the 50 miler. What date is it?

Well Julie it has taken me awhile to get use to and learn how to train in the heat. Like you I also look forward to a little lower temps. I'm getting closer to tackle that 50 miler. It is on Nov 19th, one month and 10 days after Chicago.

@Matt W wrote:
@Schuey wrote:Ended up getting in a double run to today, in some hot temps. One good thing for me is that I do pretty well handling the heat. For me it is more of getting my mind in the right frame of mind and I'm fine. If I don't get my mind in the right frame, well it isn't pretty.

Today happen to be one of those days were I was in the right frame of mind. I believe that most of it is due to expecting and preparing myself for this weather since last week.

You are so right about the mental aspect of things. When you start out knowing that it will be tough, but are prepared and ready to face the challenge, it's a lot easier. When you walk out the door dreading what's coming, the miles usually give you a beatdown that's no fun at all.

I've never known you to not be in the right frame of mind though. Your mental strength is your strength (or one of them) for sure. I know I could use some of your toughness a lot of days.


"REGROUP & CONQUER!"



Seriously??? Magenta? That really doesn't fit the sentiment. Did Lisa or Hana pick out the color for you? Wink

Thanks Matt that means a lot to me coming from you, some who I have always looked up to as a runner. And yes Lisa picked the color. I thought it was cool until you called me out on it so I changed. Yes I have my tail between my legs thanks Matt, I feel um how big now. So much for being a tough guy!!

@mul21 wrote:Nothing like jumping right back into it, eh? That's a big week, especially coming off of vacation. Good to see the legs weren't too beat up after last week and you're primed for another one this week.

Oh, and nice edit after Matt called you out on the magenta! lol!

Yep jumping back into it with both feet Jim. I guess there is no other way. Legs feel fucking awesome, we have talked about it before not sure how they do it but they do. I guess I will have to give the credit to the Epsom salt baths and now the new lotion that is Epsom Salt Lotion that I get from CVS. I really feel that has helped aided in my recovery along with taking bigger does of fish oil.

Yeah Matt called me out so I changed it. Nice catch captain Jim.

avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 am

Looks like you're off to a great start with the training. You mention that you're legs started feeling fresh again once you signed up for the 50M. I think it shows how much the mental side comes into play for distance running. I know for me in the past when I didn't have a goal on the horizon that I never felt that great running. Then once I did it seems my legs show up. Keep up the great work.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3966
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 am

Interested to hear about this Epsom Salt lotion... Use it mainly after your long/hard runs? Or every day?
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3099
Points : 7425
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:03 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Looks like you're off to a great start with the training. You mention that you're legs started feeling fresh again once you signed up for the 50M. I think it shows how much the mental side comes into play for distance running. I know for me in the past when I didn't have a goal on the horizon that I never felt that great running. Then once I did it seems my legs show up. Keep up the great work.

Normally I would say yes to just the race being the motivation factor but this time around I also think it was a combo of letting a few niggles I had heal up some more.

@Mike MacLellan wrote:Interested to hear about this Epsom Salt lotion... Use it mainly after your long/hard runs? Or every day?

I always use it after long/hard runs and then any other time I feel like I need it. Since the hot weather I have used it everyday just from the hot weather zapping me more then what it would if it was cool outside.

Alright quick update on yesterday's run.

7/19 10.03 miles - 1:08:19 @ 6:48 pace. Well with the weather getting warmer and warmer as the week goes on and I didn't get up as early as I needed to get a morning run in I decided on doing just an evening run. I really want to start running earlier in the morning but to be honest it is tough just to do. And it is even harder this week when at 5:30am it is 80F+ and high humidity and dew point. Anyway when Lisa and I headed out the door it was 90F, 73% humidity and 73F dew point. So it was safe to say that my first approach to the run was to just take it easy and just knock out a 10 mile run.
Things didn't play out that way once I hit mile 3. The first mile was just that getting in the first mile, even on cool days the first mile is just that. By time I hit the middle of the 2nd mile was feeling pretty good but told myself that I still had a good number of miles to put in so don't waste all your energy. Being the run by feel guy that I am, I listen to my body this time instead of keeping the same pace or slowing it down. Original when I planned this week I had this day marked as my 1st tempo run. The paces weren't my LT paces but I was working as if I was running at those paces. There is no doubt that I'm very happy with this run and again it's another run that adds to the fire right now of helping me build my confidence.

Mile 3 6:59, Mile 4 6:49, Mile 5 6:46, Mile 6 6:40, Mile 7 6:31, Mile 8 6:17, Mile 9 6:30, .25 6:30, .80 6:53

After I finished up my run I started to head back out to the lakefront to run back in with Lisa. To my surprise she was almost done with her 8 miler when I saw her. I thought for sure I was going to get a couple more mile in but that would not be the case since she had such a good run herself. So I only put in another. 75 mile cool down. For a total of 10.78 for the day.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Nice running lately, Martin, and thanks for the info on the Epsom Salt Lotion. Never heard of it, but I think I'll be getting some the next time I hit the local Rite Aid (or drugstore.com)
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4748
Points : 11117
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:18 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Nice running lately, Martin, and thanks for the info on the Epsom Salt Lotion. Never heard of it, but I think I'll be getting some the next time I hit the local Rite Aid (or drugstore.com)

Thanks Michele, yeah I never heard of it before either. I saw it in the CVS and thought why not give it a try. I think it is a great compliment to taking the baths also. Seems like it is working or maybe it just my mind. Either way as long as I feel that it is working and it is making me think my legs are fresh that's good enough for me.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Nice running lately, Martin, and thanks for the info on the Epsom Salt Lotion. Never heard of it, but I think I'll be getting some the next time I hit the local Rite Aid (or drugstore.com)

Thanks Michele, yeah I never heard of it before either. I saw it in the CVS and thought why not give it a try. I think it is a great compliment to taking the baths also. Seems like it is working or maybe it just my mind. Either way as long as I feel that it is working and it is making me think my legs are fresh that's good enough for me.


Remember a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4748
Points : 11117
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 pm

You know, it may be tough to get up in the morning to run. Especially when it is 80 degrees and high humidity, but the afternoon is even hotter!! Nice run by the way Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11930
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:01 pm

I know I have been slacking on updating my own blog. I promise that I will get around to updating you all about last weeks training because I know you just can't live without it. Yeah right.

For a little update on today's run man was it a struggle just to run a recovery run today. You all know that I'm a pretty positive person and well last week I decided not to complain about the crazy hot temps. Cause trust me I will take this hot weather any day of the week over winter. Really I tired of it, it was nice to have some cooler temps the first couple days of the week. Then today it was a great morning for running but I decided that I need a little extra rest and felt that I would only do 1 run today instead of a double. Well I'm happy I didn't do a double but man I sure wish I would have gone out early this morning.

As much as I love summer and I know that running in the heat will pay off come the fall, I must go on the record saying I can't wait tell the humidity and dew point numbers come down. Really it is taking a lot out of me and well I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

The heat, humidity and dew point just beat the bull down tonight! It was 93F, 66% humidity and a dew point of 73F. Now I know that this stuff is going to make me stronger physically and more so mentally but again I would really like the to have some normal warm temps now. It was nice to run some what fast the last couple of nights which most likely was the major cause for a little of the tired legs. Still in the past I have been good at rebounding and feeling pretty good day to day.

Now after all the random thoughts I just wrote above here is how this week is going:

Monday 7/25 8.22 miles total - first 6.15 miles - 40:52 @ 6:38 pace. I was glad to see that I felt good going into this run and so I decided to take advantage of that feeling. That has been my thing of late, I have my weekly training mapped out as far as distance and what I would like to do but it seems to change due to how I'm feeling and as depending on the weather these days. So with the weather being some what nice and my legs feeling good I went with it and ran a little up tempo. Although I would like to be able to run faster, I also know that I have just put 121 miles on my legs in the last two weeks. I'm no fool to that and I also realize that there is some fatigue going on also, overall it I was very happy with this run. I also have to give credit for this run to Lisa, I was being lazy and was thinking about not running and she told me I should get my ass out the door. She was right with the evening feeling nice, I'm so glad I took advantage of the night. This also was my first night run in a long time. Again thanks Lisa for getting my ass out the door.

mi1 7:22, mi2 6:35, mi3 6:29, mi4 6:25, mi5 6:43, mi6 6:19 and .15 6:11. Avg HR. 79% Max HR. 85%.

Finished of the run with doing the last 2.07 in 14:09 @ 6:50 pace.

Tuesday 7/26 10.11 miles in 1:10:58 @ 7:01 pace.
Have to admit that my legs didn't feel as fresh as they did on Monday but with the humidity at 59% and dew point at 63F it was another welcoming feeling of wow this is what is like to be able to breath during a run. I firmly believe that this run was done at this pace do to the fact that I didn't feel like I was going to die to a lack of air. This is were I was able to take faith that I'm not losing fitness and that I'm making progress in my training. It goes to show how much high humidity and dew point places a factor on how a run goes and also on how my body feels during a run. So it was nice to have some relief in the weather but like I said above my legs did feel the fatigue from the hard run the day before. I have to admit even though the legs were tired and the run was tough I do enjoy doing back to back tough runs. I feel that there is good benefits that come out of them.

mi1 7:28, mi2 6:55, mi3 7:03, mi4 7:00, mi5 6:57, mi6 6:55, mi7 6:58, mi8 7:00, mi9 6:50, .25 6:13 and .87 7:14.

Now my second run on this day was with Lisa but it was done with only about 1 hour of recovery between runs. Yes that is something new that I'm doing this training cycle along with trying to do more back to back long runs. I feel that not only will I benefit at the marathon distance by stressing my legs but it will also be a huge benefit for running 50 miles. Now I do know that it is a fine line that I'm walking with doing this due to the fact that I have to be careful to allow for recovery and to not overtrain or allow for injuries to creep in. So don't worry I have a very very close eye on what my body is telling me.

So it was another 6.13 miles in 1:01:22 @ 10:00 pace with my wonderful wife, which I must also add is handling this heat wave and her most consistent training like a champ.

Wednesday 7/27 8.36 miles total. first 7.34 in 56:16 @ 7:39 pace and the last 1.02 in 8:20 @ 8:11 pace. Yep the theme of this run again was HOT HOT HOT temps 93F 66% humidity and 73F dew point. Not only was I tired which I knew I would be after the miles I have put in so far this week but I also felt like I was fucking cooking out there tonight. I did have moments that I felt good on the run but to be honest the whole time I could not wait to be done with it. I got through the run and was happy to be home, to my surprise Lisa was not home yet. I was surprised because I figured she would only last 4 miles. Well I showered and was relaxing and time was going by and no Lisa. the whole reason I didn't run with her was because I wanted to run more miles then what she was planning, well I was wrong Lisa finally gets home and yep the dam girl was tougher then me tonight she ended up running 10 miles. Stud!

Thursday 7/28 11.11 miles total so far today still have an evening run to do. First 8.02 miles in 56:21 @ 7:01 pace. In a way this was stupid I knew that my legs were tired and well again the the weather was not the greatest. Well at least the temps were only 81F but the humidity was 79% dew point 72F. I guess one could say I pushed the panic button and again felt like I was losing fitness and that I was not making any gains and that I was going backwards. So with that feeling I tired to push it the first 8 miles and at times I felt great and other times I felt desperate and lost. Man it sure is amazing how the humidity and dew point can make one feel when running. I was glad to do what I did today but at the same time it open my eyes to the fact that tonights run and both of my runs tomorrow will be on the slower end of the pace to allow for my body to recover. Also during this first 8.02 miles I did stop for some water at 5.27 miles and to stand under the beach shower to cool off.

mi 1 7:13, mi2 7:03, mi3 7:14, mi4 7:09, mi5 6:58, mi6 6:50, mi7 7:02, mi8 6:40, .02 5:37

After that it was a little rest and some water and then time to pull the train in the station with the last 3.09 mile in 23:09 @ 7:29 pace. It is safe to say that I was happy to have this first run done.


So the week is not going bad and I know that I have put in a lot of good miles just waiting for this weather to break. Now my only concern is that I recover over the next day so I can keep pace with Jim when we get together for his 14 w/ 10@ MP. I'm really looking forward to running with him and want to help him have a great MP run. The Bull is feeling the pressure a little, don't worry Dave I will make sure to do my best to keep within your pace limits unlike Chris.



Last edited by Schuey on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:12 pm

It's good to see the bull update his blog once in a while.
The back to back runs look very interesting. I know you'll handle them smartly make good use of them.
As for your worries about losing fitness, you mentioned a number of times the fact that the heat and humidity were taking their toll and making your runs that much more difficult. I'd attribute any struggles more to that than to a significant loss of fitness. Don't you think so?
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3507
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:33 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:It's good to see the bull update his blog once in a while.
The back to back runs look very interesting. I know you'll handle them smartly make good use of them.
As for your worries about losing fitness, you mentioned a number of times the fact that the heat and humidity were taking their toll and making your runs that much more difficult. I'd attribute any struggles more to that than to a significant loss of fitness. Don't you think so?

To your question Seth the answer is YES! I know I say that I feel like I'm losing fitness or not making any ground but the truth to the reality is that I feel that I'm making huge gains. In my after thoughts I'm some time frustrated with the weather and myself. So when I write things I write what I feel at the time of the run. Then when I have some time to go back and reread it and see what my thoughts were I then either agree with them or I correct myself.

In this case I will correct myself and not be so hard on myself. I truly think that with the mileage I'm running and the way the weather has been it has made it tougher but at the same time there is no doubt as time goes on and the weather cools off I should see some good gains and not only that see the return of quicker paces with less effort. The funny thing is that the effort of these runs have felt harder then what my after run HR data shows, so that is a good thing. Well as good as I will take looking at HR data, I like having it but it is very subjective. I feel I get a better feel from my runs and then what my morning resting HR is.

I tell Lisa all the time to have patience and look forward to seeing the gains of hot summer training, maybe it is time for me to yield to my own advice and be patience and let the gains come in all good time.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Dave-O on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm

@Schuey wrote:Now my only concern is that I recover over the next day so I can keep pace with Jim when we get together for his 14 w/ 10@ MP. I'm really looking forward to running with him and want to help him have a great MP run. The Bull is feeling the pressure a little, don't worry Dave I will make sure to do my best to keep within your pace limits unlike Chris.


What time are you two meeting? And where? I'd like to join but worry I wont be back from Rockford in time. Maybe I can meet up afterwards or something.

You both have my phone number, so give me a call.
avatar
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 4457
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 35
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:17 pm

@Dave-O wrote:
@Schuey wrote:Now my only concern is that I recover over the next day so I can keep pace with Jim when we get together for his 14 w/ 10@ MP. I'm really looking forward to running with him and want to help him have a great MP run. The Bull is feeling the pressure a little, don't worry Dave I will make sure to do my best to keep within your pace limits unlike Chris.


What time are you two meeting? And where? I'd like to join but worry I wont be back from Rockford in time. Maybe I can meet up afterwards or something.

You both have my phone number, so give me a call.

I believe we are going to do it Saturday morning. Since the weather looks to be warm again I'm sure it will be early but we haven't put a time on it yet. I do believe we are going to do it on the lakefront which I think would be perfect for him for a 10 mile MP.

It would be great to get together with you one way or another. Will give you call and get everything worked out.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 pm

You've got a great week going. You basically answered my question before I had to answer it. I was going to make an observation that in spite of what the McMillan calculator says I should be doing different runs, I don't seem to be able to hold pace much of the time. You basically wrapped up what I was wondering - I guess don't worry so much about the actual pace if the effort is there and just have confidence that when the weather cools we will get faster. I also echo what you said about it getting frustrating sometimes to always sweat buckets, but it is what it is. For the record, the higher intensity runs that you are doing back to back are pretty amazing - if you are doing this in the heat and on tired legs, I've got to believe you are doing really good things for your overall fitness. Are you carrying a water bottle most of the time, or are you doing it without drinking (or relying on fountains)?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4229
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 pm

You know, you and I have the same philosophy on summer. I don't like to complain about it, because it only lasts for about 3 months in the Midwest. It looks like you put in some great runs during the week. I just hope that I won't bring down any of your training when you come up here. Be patient, because soon enough the temps are gonna break and The Bull will run wild again!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11930
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Let me reiterate...



Next weekend as in the 5th, 6th, and 7th is no good for me!!! I have a wedding up in Brainerd, MN that weekend...Make it the next weekend the 12th - 14th Smile That weekend is much better...Plus I heard that the weather is supposed to be nicer that weekend Wink
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11930
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 am

How did the evening run go?
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4354
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 am

You training looks awesome. I am pretty much in awe of back to back 20s.

I know almost every October or so I feel so excited that I "suddenly" got faster but it's not sudden it's from plugging away all summer long and then when it cools off everything feels easier.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6280
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 am

@John Kilpatrick wrote:You've got a great week going. You basically answered my question before I had to answer it. I was going to make an observation that in spite of what the McMillan calculator says I should be doing different runs, I don't seem to be able to hold pace much of the time. You basically wrapped up what I was wondering - I guess don't worry so much about the actual pace if the effort is there and just have confidence that when the weather cools we will get faster. I also echo what you said about it getting frustrating sometimes to always sweat buckets, but it is what it is. For the record, the higher intensity runs that you are doing back to back are pretty amazing - if you are doing this in the heat and on tired legs, I've got to believe you are doing really good things for your overall fitness. Are you carrying a water bottle most of the time, or are you doing it without drinking (or relying on fountains)?

Thanks for the kudos on the high intensity runs, I think I have said it to you and Alex in the past that we should not worry about the slow down in paces on certain workouts. Especially in these crazy temps, I know I should do what Dave-O does and hit the treadmill for my tempo runs with this weather but to be honest I'm on that darn thing so much durning the winter I just can't do it. So yes I'm looking forward to the weather breaking here for at least a couple of weeks.

As for fluids it depends on the run and were I'm running. If I'm on the lakefront there times I take Ultima with me and once it is gone I will refill with water. We have rest areas and fountains along the lakefront path. Also the other thing that is nice is there are beach areas with showers that I will stand under to cool down during a run. There have also been times I went and sat in the lake to cool off. Lisa and I go to another trail were we have to carry fluids because rest stops are far between.

@Nick Morris wrote:You know, you and I have the same philosophy on summer. I don't like to complain about it, because it only lasts for about 3 months in the Midwest. It looks like you put in some great runs during the week. I just hope that I won't bring down any of your training when you come up here. Be patient, because soon enough the temps are gonna break and The Bull will run wild again!!

Yep I agree with you Nick, no need to complain about just take it for what it is and before we know it we will be freezing our asses off! Don't worry you won't be brining me down running with you.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Schuey on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:How did the evening run go?

Evening run went pretty well it was humidity as heck out but I felt much better on this run then I did the run earlier. I also stuck to my guns a little better and kept it some what slower, I did 7.13 miles @ 7:31 pace. I still would like to do my two runs today a little slower then that. I just think it would be good and smart of me to back it off some. Nothing wrong with slowing it down, the funny thing is that I know this. Now I just have to do it.

@Julie wrote:You training looks awesome. I am pretty much in awe of back to back 20s.

I know almost every October or so I feel so excited that I "suddenly" got faster but it's not sudden it's from plugging away all summer long and then when it cools off everything feels easier.

Julie you are 100% correct and thanks for reminding me of that. It's funny that I know that and I always tell Lisa, that I can't wait for the fall and the cooler temps because I will really be moving and feeling the benefits of the hot summer runs. The funny thing is for some reason I lose site of that during the thick of training. So again thanks for pointing that out to me. Very Happy
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Chris M on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 am

@Schuey wrote:So the week is not going bad and I know that I have put in a lot of good miles just waiting for this weather to break. Now my only concern is that I recover over the next day so I can keep pace with Jim when we get together for his 14 w/ 10@ MP. I'm really looking forward to running with him and want to help him have a great MP run. The Bull is feeling the pressure a little, don't worry Dave I will make sure to do my best to keep within your pace limits unlike Chris.




ha ha, no worries. We have even worse heat and humidity here in DC than you've had in Chicago over the past few weeks. It just completely zaps me so I've had plenty of runs like you describe above where I'm fighting for breath and can't believe how relatively slow some of the paces have been or how cruddy I feel at normal paces. So, believe me, I'm keeping well within Dave's pacing zones and not running too fast these days.



Have fun with Jim on the 14 miler. I softened him up for you with 2 runs in DC over the past couple of weeks so go ahead and drop down to 7:00 or so for the last couple of miles to make him sweat a little.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3722
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  mul21 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 am

@Chris M wrote:
@Schuey wrote:So the week is not going bad and I know that I have put in a lot of good miles just waiting for this weather to break. Now my only concern is that I recover over the next day so I can keep pace with Jim when we get together for his 14 w/ 10@ MP. I'm really looking forward to running with him and want to help him have a great MP run. The Bull is feeling the pressure a little, don't worry Dave I will make sure to do my best to keep within your pace limits unlike Chris.




ha ha, no worries. We have even worse heat and humidity here in DC than you've had in Chicago over the past few weeks. It just completely zaps me so I've had plenty of runs like you describe above where I'm fighting for breath and can't believe how relatively slow some of the paces have been or how cruddy I feel at normal paces. So, believe me, I'm keeping well within Dave's pacing zones and not running too fast these days.



Have fun with Jim on the 14 miler. I softened him up for you with 2 runs in DC over the past couple of weeks so go ahead and drop down to 7:00 or so for the last couple of miles to make him sweat a little.

That's funny, I don't remember being in DC! afro
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4602
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Chris M on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:12 am

@mul21 wrote:
@Chris M wrote:
@Schuey wrote:So the week is not going bad and I know that I have put in a lot of good miles just waiting for this weather to break. Now my only concern is that I recover over the next day so I can keep pace with Jim when we get together for his 14 w/ 10@ MP. I'm really looking forward to running with him and want to help him have a great MP run. The Bull is feeling the pressure a little, don't worry Dave I will make sure to do my best to keep within your pace limits unlike Chris.




ha ha, no worries. We have even worse heat and humidity here in DC than you've had in Chicago over the past few weeks. It just completely zaps me so I've had plenty of runs like you describe above where I'm fighting for breath and can't believe how relatively slow some of the paces have been or how cruddy I feel at normal paces. So, believe me, I'm keeping well within Dave's pacing zones and not running too fast these days.



Have fun with Jim on the 14 miler. I softened him up for you with 2 runs in DC over the past couple of weeks so go ahead and drop down to 7:00 or so for the last couple of miles to make him sweat a little.

That's funny, I don't remember being in DC! afro

Wait, its YOU!?! Oh, I thought it was Jim Lentz who was going out there with Schuey.....scratch everything I said, Schuey......drop Jim M down to 6:45 pace for the last 3 miles and make him cry for his mama.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3722
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Felt a Hundred Different Demons

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum