365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PR During a longer race

+2
Admin
charles
6 posters

Go down

PR During a longer race Empty PR During a longer race

Post  charles Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 am

I am sure this has been discussed before . . . But if you run a PR equivalent of a recognized distance during a longer race - does that count as your "OFFICIAL" PR for that distance. For example if your half marathon is 1:40:00 but during your next marathon you go through 13.1 in 1:38:00 - is that your new PR?

If yes - does it require an official timing mat? Or, can you take a five mile split as a PR during a 10K?

My half marathon PR is soft and I know I can easily break my PR. But I have not had a chance to race (all out race) a half marathon in two years. It is unlikely I will have a chance to race one this year either but I think I will beat my half PR during my December marathon - or at least I should! king
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

PR During a longer race Empty Re: PR During a longer race

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:49 am

I've always differentiated between PR (personal record) and PB (personal best). To me, a PR has to independently verifiable as a certified race result. A personal best could be an interim distance in a longer race, or even a time trial. However, I don't know many who agree with me...

That said, even if you run a 1:38 half in your next marathon I can guarantee you that is NOT you best half marathon. Why call something a PR if it isn't your best effort at that distance?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

Yes, as long as the sub distance is certified.

In fact, many American records have been set as part of a longer race. For example, in 2006, Deana Kastor set the American Records for the 12k, 10 mile, 20k and Half-marathon at the Berlin Half. She set the American Records for 25k and 30k in the Chicago Marathon, but didn't set the AR for the marathon.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:53 am

Dave-O wrote:Yes, as long as the sub distance is certified.

And that's really the issue. Very few races will actually have sub-distances certified so you don't know what you're really getting. In both of the examples Dave cited, those are huge races where records were expected to be broken. In most races that we run, the main distance is certified, but nothing else.

Personally, I don't think I would ever use it.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 am

The last couple of years I had used my Half time from Boston and Chicago as my new half PR. During those years I didn't race a half marathon, so I used those as my half PR until this past year when i raced a half in D.C.. For me when it comes to PR's it is just that a PERSONAL RECORD, let's face it I'm not going to set any World or American records. So the bottom line to me is that setting PR's really only matters to me. So if you want to use a time for a shorter distance in a longer race then by all means go for Charles!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:26 am

I have always counted them separately. Meaning that I have only my HM PRs from a certified HM race and marathon PRs from a certified marathon race. Others may think differently...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down