365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK

+32
John Kilpatrick
jon c
Jim Lentz
GregC
Penelope
Michael Enright
ChasMcG
Tom H
JohnP
mul21
Julie
Mrs. Schuey
Liz R
KathyK
Mark B
Admin
Tim M
Tea from RonItch
Schuey
Dave Wolfe
Seth Harrison
Jerry
dot520
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
Mike MacLellan
Ken Mello
Kenny B.
Matt W
Chris M
Natalie
36 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Empty Re: I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:08 am

Natalie, that first photo is, and I kid you not, one of the most amazing sensations in the world. There is really nothing that can compare to the first 4-5 seconds of skydiving.

I'm curious to see the elevation profile for your recent run Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Empty Re: I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Post  Natalie Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:25 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:

Well, since I'm becoming so adept at posting photos, I'll show you. Remember, I run hills here, not mountains. Wink

[img]I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Tempo_12[/img]

And now, I just wanted to try this out...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am

Natalie Wolf wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:

Well, since I'm becoming so adept at posting photos, I'll show you. Remember, I run hills here, not mountains. Wink

[img]I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Tempo_12[/img]

And now, I just wanted to try this out...

Love the scroll thing and those look like nice hills IMO.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 am

That is some picture! So glad Gabe is under my control for a little longer....

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:56 am

Natalie Wolf wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:Very nice job with the tempo run Natalie.
Do not, I repeat, do not, attempt to replicate your son's skydiving adventure! A llittle jump out of an airplane when I was about his age was the start of all my knee issues. A lifetime with a crappy knee for three thrilling minutes wasn't worth it!

Really? He landed on his butt... did you do a tandem jump or was it back when the chutes opened automatically? I'm kinda thinking about doing a jump!

I did it with the chute opening automatically. I hurt the knee practicing how to land. They have you jump off a high platform over and over again and remember feeling the knee pop. That was was the beginning of all my knee troubles. I'd think if you're doing a tandem jump than you wouldn't have any problems like I did.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Have him wear the Garmin next time he jumps out of the plane. It would be interesting to see the elevation changes.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:23 pm

JohnP wrote:Have him wear the Garmin next time he jumps out of the plane. It would be interesting to see the elevation changes.

What next time? I'll wear the Garmin when I do it, how 'bout that?
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:
JohnP wrote:Have him wear the Garmin next time he jumps out of the plane. It would be interesting to see the elevation changes.

What next time? I'll wear the Garmin when I do it, how 'bout that?

OK, but only if there is photographic evidence! Are diapers required for that first jump?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Insanity anyone? Instead of running today, since I've run 3 days in a row, I decided to take a rest day by doing an Insanity workout. Because I am insane, I did one of the hardest ones, if not the hardest workout: Max Cardio + Cardio Abs. 48 minutes of cardio (read "plyometrics") and 16 minutes of ab work. No situps and crunches though. I was dripping sweat in my air conditioned basement.

It was a fun diversion from my usual workouts. Tomorrow we'll see what the fallout is. It was mostly different versions of squats and suicides.

We have no plans for this weekend since our kids all make their own plans now, but that didn't stop me from making my own Bing Cherry ice cream. Hey! I've got to use that ice cream maker at least twice a year to make it worth the space it takes up in my basement!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Send some of that ice cream my way, please.

Those rollers from mile 2-4 look like a nice set of speedwork-in-disguise intervals.

Oh, and what's a suicide?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:20 pm

That is a great photo of Adam as he left the plane. I can only wonder what the look on your face will be when you try it.

Definitely start the Garmin before the jump - and oh yes, also wear the HR strap!

It'll give the impact of your "Insanity" workout a run for its money... and the name still works!

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Www_me10
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Send some of that ice cream my way, please.

Those rollers from mile 2-4 look like a nice set of speedwork-in-disguise intervals.

Oh, and what's a suicide?

Ha!Ha! Here's a video of the Shaun T. Insanity suicide (we used to call these squat thrusts), but there are other versions...

The ice cream is amazing. It's supposed to freeze in the freezer now for a few hours to a few days. Let's see how well that goes...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:38 am

I didn't know you were doing Insanity. I keep hearing great things about it. I bet it's a great compliment to your running. What do you think so far?

We also have an ice cream maker. Unlike out bread machine, which has more than paid for itself over the years, I wish we had used the ice cream maker more often. It makes great ice cream, but I always found it to me a heck of a lot of work for not much ice cream.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I didn't know you were doing Insanity. I keep hearing great things about it. I bet it's a great compliment to your running. What do you think so far?

We also have an ice cream maker. Unlike out bread machine, which has more than paid for itself over the years, I wish we had used the ice cream maker more often. It makes great ice cream, but I always found it to me a heck of a lot of work for not much ice cream.

I like Insanity, but I'm not doing it the way you're supposed to. I do the workouts that I think I need to compliment everything else I do. My son, Adam, has been doing it in order and he works out at the gym twice a week, but Insanity is the only cardio he gets. It's a lot of plyometrics, so, in theory, if I don't get injured, it should be helpful.

I make bread by hand (ok, I mix the dough in my Kitchenaid mixer w/ the dough hook). I think I'll use the ice cream maker more often. The recipe I made was labor intensive -- I think it's time to invest in a cherry corer -- but the ice cream is fabulous!
_________
I ran 10 miles today, knowing that marathon training starts Monday and I have to run 10 miles next week. Also, I'm running a 10k race on Monday, so I don't want to do a long run tomorrow. I'm very, very, thankful that I live so close to the JCC. I ran to the J via a 3.1 mile route, then ran 5 miles on the indoor track, then ran/shuffled home to make it an even 10. I stopped the Garmin at 10 and walked the last .25 mile home. Wink It must be 90 degrees outside. Of course, I chose the hottest, least shady, time of the day to run, but I was busy this morning and I was determined to do this long run. Feels great!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:33 pm

I couldn't help but note that I actually own a cherry corer. Smile

Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Ken Mello wrote:I couldn't help but note that I actually own a cherry corer. Smile

I'm going to go to Williams Sonoma and buying a cherry pitter and a cheese board.

Last edited by Natalie Wolf on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Great run in the heat, Natalie!

I make bread and pizza dough in my kitchen aid too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm

We do the Insanity too. I like it but it's hard. I'm hoping we will get better at it. Very Happy Right now, I don't look very pretty doing it hahah

Great job getting the runs done with the Insanity workouts. Even doing a few will be beneficial!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:50 pm

ChasMcG wrote:We do the Insanity too. I like it but it's hard. I'm hoping we will get better at it. Very Happy Right now, I don't look very pretty doing it hahah

Great job getting the runs done with the Insanity workouts. Even doing a few will be beneficial!

Love your signature Chas... I just noticed it. Even I, a runner, don't like reading about the minutiae of running on facebook. Really? You ran 3.6 miles in 32 minutes and you feel good? So nice to know! Although I know that those are posted automatically by Daily Mile. They tend to make me feel like a slacker.

But, I AM NOT A SLACKER! At least not today. I did my long run yesterday, on purpose, knowing that I'm running a 10k tomorrow. So I wanted to do a recovery run today, and 3 more miles would give me 30 for the week. It's about 90 degrees and humid so I decided to run in the park, where it's probably only 85 degrees... I recruited a friend and we got it done. I took some pictures to show how pretty it is there, but also, because you can see how hot it is! We literally only ran 3.3 miles, but we were drenched.

This is my friend Nora who runs parts of my long runs with me occasionally. I managed to seduce her into running in my park by catching her on the way to the gym/treadmill. I think she made a much better choice. Wink

I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Nora_f11[/img]

I was going to call this guy to come run the trail with me, because he introduced it to me, but I didn't have his number. Well, lo and behold! 89 degrees and there he is. Steve:

[img]I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Steve_10[/img]

Here's one where you can see the creek behind us. We're standing on a bridge.

[img]I want to be a part of it: NEW YORK, NEW YORK - Page 4 Me_and10[/img]
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Nice trail run, Natalie! Though 85 and humid sounds pretty challenging.

I've done hot weather running before, but only in the West's "dry heat."
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm wilting just looking at the pix. Nice job getting it done!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 pm

There's always good stuff in here.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:19 am

You're tougher than me - I avoid the heat as much as possible.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am

Nice job in that heat! I love how you "seduced" your friend Smile She absolutely made the best choice!

Hope your race went well this morning. I'll look on Facebook for your results hahahaha JK
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Great pictures Natalie. And you are correct you are not a slacker! I don't think slacker and running in 85 degree heat and humidty go together in the same sentence. Hope you had a fun 10k race today. Happy 4th.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next