365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails for Two

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 9 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 am

@Mark B wrote:Quick update: We put the house on the market last Thursday, had two open houses over the weekend and got a full price offer on Monday. We're in negotiations with them over closing costs right now, but it's looking pretty good that we'll reach a mutually acceptable deal, probably today.

The owners of the place we are interested in buying are being squirrely, however, so we may need to go to a Plan B, which would also work. We'll see what happens.

More details later. Our brains are exploding.
Good job.  Also, good decision on moving to Plan B.  Those owners may not be as motivated, anymore.

Separately, have you considered taking a shirt of Alec's up to Cougville for him to wear (or bring home an existing worn shirt) and drop it on the floor at the house to see what the cat's reaction to Alec's smell would be?  Rub on it?  Look for him?  Might be interesting.

I know I speak for Nancy when I say, 'when can we come up to the new place?'
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Quick update: We put the house on the market last Thursday, had two open houses over the weekend and got a full price offer on Monday. We're in negotiations with them over closing costs right now, but it's looking pretty good that we'll reach a mutually acceptable deal, probably today.

The owners of the place we are interested in buying are being squirrely, however, so we may need to go to a Plan B, which would also work. We'll see what happens.

That's exciting!  All happening very quickly.  No wonder you don't have time to run!

Hope the negotiations on your house go well and that the owners of the condo you like calm down....or you find something else that works well for you.

Thanks! Yes, we're a bit dizzy. At least we're not as exhausted as we were when trying to get the house ready to show. Hoping we go "pending" soon so we don't need to be as paranoid about keeping everything immaculate. Well, at least as immaculate as we can manage.

Once we're "pending," we can give Plan A the "put up or shut up" offer and hope for the best. If they say "Meh. We changed our minds." then good luck to them, because we'll be off for Plan B. We'd better get something, because we're pondering what happens if the sale closes on our house with a sale still in process for a condo -- or a search still underway. That could get... awkward. 

@ounce wrote:

Good job.  Also, good decision on moving to Plan B.  Those owners may not be as motivated, anymore.

Separately, have you considered taking a shirt of Alec's up to Cougville for him to wear (or bring home an existing worn shirt) and drop it on the floor at the house to see what the cat's reaction to Alec's smell would be?  Rub on it?  Look for him?  Might be interesting.

I know I speak for Nancy when I say, 'when can we come up to the new place?'

You can come up anytime you want! Got a truck? Want to help us move? What a Face

We waited a while before washing Alec's sheets, so his scent has been there a while already. They do seem to like to hang out in his room, though. The real brain teaser for them would be to have his scent pre-applied in a NEW place. The cats would be very confused.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Wow that was fast on the house - which is good and bad as you are realizing, but still super exciting!   The hardest part can often be the closing and getting it all together (on all sides), but still very exciting.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wow that was fast on the house - which is good and bad as you are realizing, but still super exciting!   The hardest part can often be the closing and getting it all together (on all sides), but still very exciting.

Yes. Very true. Turns out our offer turned into a contingent offer, which means they need to sell their house before they can buy ours. I understand that situation, but we've got a little whiplash. The upside is, if a better offer comes around, we can give these people 5 days to go "pending" and see what happens. 

That means our purchasing plans are on hold, which isn't ideal, but what can you do?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 pm

@Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wow that was fast on the house - which is good and bad as you are realizing, but still super exciting!   The hardest part can often be the closing and getting it all together (on all sides), but still very exciting.

Yes. Very true. Turns out our offer turned into a contingent offer, which means they need to sell their house before they can buy ours. I understand that situation, but we've got a little whiplash. The upside is, if a better offer comes around, we can give these people 5 days to go "pending" and see what happens. 

That means our purchasing plans are on hold, which isn't ideal, but what can you do?
THAT explains to me how people can contractually buy yours before selling theirs. 

So how does your listing show to the public?

Can you put your purchase on contingent, too?  Let's play dominoes!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 pm

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

THAT explains to me how people can contractually buy yours before selling theirs. 

It all becomes very complicated when you get into contingent offers.  One slip can derail everything for several parties.  Hope you're still progressing...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:14 pm

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

Our listing (click here to see it) now has a label on it that says Contingent. Everything else is the same. 

And we actually made a contingent offer on a condo we like once we listed, but the owners balked. We gave them an offer over the weekend and were told verbally by their agent that they were mostly okay with our offer and would be sending a counteroffer to get it going.... and then *crickets* . When we got in touch with them on Monday, the agent changed his tune and said they'd only accept an offer from us if we were pending. As to what they'll do once we get them an offer while pending, we have no idea. 

Luckily, we have a new Plan B. Luckily, because somebody snapped up the other Plan B.

Now we're in the waiting game. Our buyers have to go pending, which will let us go pending, which will let us make an offer before one of those two units goes pending. 

Dominoes, indeed.

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

It all becomes very complicated when you get into contingent offers.  One slip can derail everything for several parties.  Hope you're still progressing...

Very complicated, indeed. Interestingly, we're kind of liking our new Plan B (link) better than our Plan A (link). It's more expensive, but it's bigger with an extra room for an office that wouldn't have to compete for space with Alec's backup bedroom -- and it doesn't have squirrely sellers. It's had two "sale fails" so far, which is odd, and it makes us nervous that if we do decide to go for it, it'll be too late. 

The hope is that our buyers list on Saturday and go pending within a week. They have said they won't accept a contingent offer, thank goodness, so we don't have to worry about *another* domino in the chain.

Must. Remain. Calm. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:31 am

We're pending! Our buyer got a solid offer on their place and were therefore able to change their status from "contingent," which means we're finally able to make an actual offer on a condo. We hope to be able to do that today. And we ended up deciding that our Plan A option is the one we're going for. It has room for Alec but not *too* much room, a two-car garage that'll allow us to store stuff that won't fit until we decide what to do with it, and a floor plan that feels more like us. Oh, and it's about 30 grand cheaper. 

Cross your fingers!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:29 am

@Mark B wrote:We're pending! Our buyer got a solid offer on their place and were therefore able to change their status from "contingent," which means we're finally able to make an actual offer on a condo. We hope to be able to do that today. And we ended up deciding that our Plan A option is the one we're going for. It has room for Alec but not *too* much room, a two-car garage that'll allow us to store stuff that won't fit until we decide what to do with it, and a floor plan that feels more like us. Oh, and it's about 30 grand cheaper. 

Cross your fingers!
Woohoo!  Fingers crossed!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 am

AHHHH!!!

WE GOT IT! 

The sellers waited until 25 minutes before our offer expired to present us with their acceptance of our offer.

We're still in a state of disbelief. We'd pretty much given up on them and were starting to think about alternate plans that were going to cost us tens of thousands of dollars more. So when our real estate lady called, giddy with relief, we were floored. 

Now the REALLY crazy part starts. We close on our current house on Nov. 22. We can stay in the house until Nov. 25. (That's the weekend before Thanksgiving, if anybody's checking.) We are hoping to close on the condo on Nov. 22, as well. Which means that everything is going to happen at once. 

The first thing (after taking down an earnest money check) will be our home inspection. We're actually going to go to a hotel tonight to make it easier on everybody, since we and the kitties need to be gone for about three hours first thing tomorrow morning. It'll be a sort-of birthday celebration. Kinda.

Then it's a flurry of packing, sorting, storing, donating and trashing stuff. This is going to be a wild ride.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Awesome!  Congratulations on surviving the roller coaster of offers, contingencies, and counter offers.  The rest will be easy compared to the last few weeks.   Wink

Enjoy your night out.  Don't let the celebration get to wild.

So when this gets done and you're all moved in do you plan to rejoin the running world?   Razz

My nephew introduced me to his new girlfriend last week.  She's a runner and has convinced Josh to take up running.  I saw her Sunday and she was excited to tell me she's signing up for her first ultra...Mt. Hood if I understood correctly.  Maybe I should try and volunteer?????
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Gratz on all of those transactions.  And REALLY enjoy all of those decisions on what not to keep.

Oh, and be sure to do a 'cat check' on all of the boxes going to the street or dumpster.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey, Mark, looking at the photos of your new pad, specifically picture 7 of 25 showing the living room, breakfast nook, and kitchen, there are 2 panels in the photo.  One opposite the sink and one to the left of the door to the patio.  What are they?

Did you include your window unit A/C as part of house's selling price?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am

@ounce wrote:Hey, Mark, looking at the photos of your new pad, specifically picture 7 of 25 showing the living room, breakfast nook, and kitchen, there are 2 panels in the photo.  One opposite the sink and one to the left of the door to the patio.  What are they?

They look like small electric heaters to me.  We have similar ones in the guest bedrooms that were added and don't get adequate heat through the duct system.  We'll see what Mark says...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:04 pm

That makes sense because with those floor a/c units, there's probably no duct work above the ceiling with no central heat and a/c.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Hopefully with the Fed dropping rates, yesterday, that'll help your interest rate on the mortgage.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:46 am

Ye cats! So many comments!!

@nkrichards wrote:Awesome!  Congratulations on surviving the roller coaster of offers, contingencies, and counter offers.  The rest will be easy compared to the last few weeks.   Wink

Enjoy your night out.  Don't let the celebration get to wild.

So when this gets done and you're all moved in do you plan to rejoin the running world?   Razz

My nephew introduced me to his new girlfriend last week.  She's a runner and has convinced Josh to take up running.  I saw her Sunday and she was excited to tell me she's signing up for her first ultra...Mt. Hood if I understood correctly.  Maybe I should try and volunteer?????

Thanks! And that night did end up wild, because Fluff went bananas and meowed all night long. Must have smelled another animal in the rug or something. He kept alerting us to the imminent danger. We barely slept.

We do hope to get back to running and such once we've finished blowing up our lives. Honest!

Contrats to the nephew. His girlfriend has great taste. And yes, you should volunteer. GoBeyond Racing, the RD's, are amazing.

@ounce wrote:Gratz on all of those transactions.  And REALLY enjoy all of those decisions on what not to keep.

Oh, and be sure to do a 'cat check' on all of the boxes going to the street or dumpster.

Oops! Did we lose Fluff? Aw...

Kidding! That'd never happen. 

@ounce wrote:Hey, Mark, looking at the photos of your new pad, specifically picture 7 of 25 showing the living room, breakfast nook, and kitchen, there are 2 panels in the photo.  One opposite the sink and one to the left of the door to the patio.  What are they?

Those panels are Cadet electric in-wall heaters. They're supposed to be very energy efficient. They're kind of a replacement for old baseboard heaters in all-electric homes. We've had them in an apartment before, and they do make the place pretty cozy.

We'll probably just give them the window a/c unit. If they don't want it, I guess we'll sell it. The house they sold has whole house a/c, so they may just install it at some point. 

@nkrichards wrote:

They look like small electric heaters to me.  We have similar ones in the guest bedrooms that were added and don't get adequate heat through the duct system.  We'll see what Mark says...

Ding! Ding! Ding! You are correct! 

@ounce wrote:That makes sense because with those floor a/c units, there's probably no duct work above the ceiling with no central heat and a/c.

Yup. No ducts. No central air or heat. No gas of any kind, which is kind of a bummer, because I'd rather the fireplace was gas, not wood. And a gas stove would be nice. But maybe that reduces the chance of some bozo burning the whole place down? 

@ounce wrote:Hopefully with the Fed dropping rates, yesterday, that'll help your interest rate on the mortgage.

We actually did get a pretty good rate. 3.625% for a 30-year fixed mortgage. It's a lower rate than the mortgage we have on our current house. I'd say the lower rate would hurt the mortgage tax deduction a bit, but tax reform kinda wiped that option out. So... low rates! Woot!

We go and visit the place with an inspector on Saturday morning. Hoping he doesn't find anything of note. We're awaiting the results of the inspection of our house. They said they didn't find any "deal breakers," which is good, but it'd be nice to know if there's anything else we need to cough up some dough to fix.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Doesn't sound like a fun way to spend your birthday celebration!  Maybe you'll have to try again once you get moved.

Hope the inspection didn't turn up anything to serious/costly.  

You're committed now...hope you're not having second thoughts!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 am

With Fluff's response to the hotel, does y'alls new pad have new carpet?

Regarding natural gas, do many subdivisions and/or condos have gas?  Could be an infrastructure thing of the developer not building the pipeline downstream from the provider's connection.

I would imagine the inspector found SOMETHING, otherwise it looks like he didn't do anything.  Whatever he finds could be a negotiating point in that if it's not a big deal, y'all could agree to pickup a bit more of the closing costs, even if the buyer doesn't fix it.  Same with your new pad.

Does the fireplace have an access door from the back of it to clear out the ashes?

Running?  Again? Suspect 

As far as a lower interest rate hurting your deduction (in the pre-tax reform world), don't let taxes influence the decision because you're deduction only allows you to recoup your tax rate %, not 100 cents on the dollar.  Tax credits?  Yes, 100 cents on the amount of tax paid.  Reduction in income before the AGI line?  Yes, 100 cents on the amount of income before deductions.  Schedule A reductions?  No.

I don't know how it works now, but I do know there's a limit, like you wrote.  Sorry that Washington is one of those states.

So, let me ask 1 question (maybe 2) about your new pad.  I see that from the front door, it's steps up to the living quarters.  Does that mean that every time someone rings the doorbell that you have to traipse down all of those steps just to answer the door?  And the movers will have to lug your contents up those steps, as well?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:54 am

Congrats on everything - quite the whirlwind!  Can you tell me though which unit you decided on?  Just want to snoop at the pictures.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on everything - quite the whirlwind!  Can you tell me though which unit you decided on?  Just want to snoop at the pictures.
I CLAIM THE BEDROOM!!!

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/794-SE-Fairwinds-Loop-98661/unit-794-G/home/167232386
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:49 pm

I was in your area last night/today...well close...Hillsboro.

I had dinner with Mom in Sandy on the way to Katie's house.  We went to her gym this morning and I did my first Pound class followed by Yoga.  Pound was fun.  I have trouble staying quiet and still for Yoga.  Then I got to meet her new boyfriend.  But enough about the reason for my trip.  I've been hearing all week about your air inversion...it wasn't as bad as I expected...but it rained on me! 

Hope all is progressing well...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Doesn't sound like a fun way to spend your birthday celebration!  Maybe you'll have to try again once you get moved.

Hope the inspection didn't turn up anything to serious/costly.  

You're committed now...hope you're not having second thoughts!

Definitely committed -- and we even joined one of those "Buy Nothing" groups to give away bunches of things we don't have room to keep and don't have time (or desire) to sell. It's a nice feeling help others out, and once all the stuff is gone, it's going to be kind of shocking how little we'll have materially. At least in terms of furniture.

@ounce wrote:With Fluff's response to the hotel, does y'alls new pad have new carpet?

Regarding natural gas, do many subdivisions and/or condos have gas?  Could be an infrastructure thing of the developer not building the pipeline downstream from the provider's connection.

I would imagine the inspector found SOMETHING, otherwise it looks like he didn't do anything.  Whatever he finds could be a negotiating point in that if it's not a big deal, y'all could agree to pickup a bit more of the closing costs, even if the buyer doesn't fix it.  Same with your new pad.

Does the fireplace have an access door from the back of it to clear out the ashes?

Running?  Again? Suspect 

As far as a lower interest rate hurting your deduction (in the pre-tax reform world), don't let taxes influence the decision because you're deduction only allows you to recoup your tax rate %, not 100 cents on the dollar.  Tax credits?  Yes, 100 cents on the amount of tax paid.  Reduction in income before the AGI line?  Yes, 100 cents on the amount of income before deductions.  Schedule A reductions?  No.

I don't know how it works now, but I do know there's a limit, like you wrote.  Sorry that Washington is one of those states.

So, let me ask 1 question (maybe 2) about your new pad.  I see that from the front door, it's steps up to the living quarters.  Does that mean that every time someone rings the doorbell that you have to traipse down all of those steps just to answer the door?  And the movers will have to lug your contents up those steps, as well?

Yup. Up the stairs no matter what. Every time. Good exercise.  And we have movers to help us lug things upstairs. Yes, there's an extra charge. One reason to get rid of the extra heavy/bulky items, like my oak(ish) computer rolltop desk.

No idea about condos and gas. 

The inspector found something at our house - water in the crawlspace - which is an expensive fix. We got several bids and decided to just give the buyer a bunch of money (equal to just over the low bid) to either fix it right away, later or ... blow it at the craps table and figure it out later when they sell. It's not like the roof's leaking or anything, so they have time.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on everything - quite the whirlwind!  Can you tell me though which unit you decided on?  Just want to snoop at the pictures.

See Ounce's post below. There's even a 3-D walkthrough!

Yes, we will be painting.

@ounce wrote:
I CLAIM THE BEDROOM!!!

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/794-SE-Fairwinds-Loop-98661/unit-794-G/home/167232386

You're going to have to fight Alec for it when he's around. When he's gone, you have to fight Fluff. I give you better odds against Alec.

@nkrichards wrote:I was in your area last night/today...well close...Hillsboro.

I had dinner with Mom in Sandy on the way to Katie's house.  We went to her gym this morning and I did my first Pound class followed by Yoga.  Pound was fun.  I have trouble staying quiet and still for Yoga.  Then I got to meet her new boyfriend.  But enough about the reason for my trip.  I've been hearing all week about your air inversion...it wasn't as bad as I expected...but it rained on me! 

Hope all is progressing well...

We're getting there. I finished up all my buyer requests - lots of caulking and painting - and we're doing our best to get rid of what won't fit and/or what we don't need. We'll be keeping stuff so Alec can furnish an apartment at some point, but that'll go in our garage.  Our closing date is Nov. 22, and our moving date is Nov. 23. And Alec comes back for the first time from college on Nov. 24. Luckily, we don't have to completely vacate the unit until Nov. 25, so he can walk through the empty rooms and reflect on things.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Today at 10:10 am

Update: Still alive!

We've been in a packing/tossing/donating frenzy for what seems like forever now, and we have three days left before the movers show up Saturday morning. Provided we close on Friday morning as expected. It's looking pretty promising at this point on our end, but it all depends on whether our buyers will be ready ... which requires *their* buyers to be ready - to allow all these dominoes to fall in perfect sequence. 

We couldn't do it the easy way. Where's the fun in that?

Anyway, it's amazing how much stuff finds its ways into nooks and crannies over the years in a house. We've filled three 2-yard dumpsters, left 4 giant trash bags with our regular trash this week and have plenty more stuff to throw away. Good grief.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Today at 11:01 am

This will be the largest step down you'll probably ever do, unless you start buying up newspapers and have to get a bigger pad.  Good on you for letting Alec do a final walkthrough. 

Mush, boy!  Mush!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9