365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My First Boston 2018

+3
KBFitz
ounce
Kenny B.
7 posters

Go down

My First Boston 2018  Empty My First Boston 2018

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 10, 2018 10:26 am

I wrote a long review of my race but lost it when trying to download a picture to post.  So, here is my short version:

• took 11 years to qualify for Boston 
  • qualified for 2018 and 2019 (Wineglass 3:20, NJ 3:18) (Hartford 3:18 - my new favorite race (outside of chicago)
  • Hardest training every for this race using stryd.com power and coach
  • Goal was 3:15 (and capable) PR 3:16 (philly 2014), 3:18 as of 2017 (twice)
  • Got terrible cold 7 days before race
  • Weather and cold decided to run Boston for "fun" and save legs for NJ Marathon
  • Weather was awful for me.  Ran with rain booties on my hands to keep warm (funny) for 26.2 miles
  • Ran Steady 8;15-8;30 pace avg around 8;40 with 6 porta-john stops to pee
  • Only peed once out of 33 prior marathons ( 6 at Boston)
  • finished 3:47
  • DNS NJ Marathon (suffered a tweak to my achilles and decided to back out and take two weeks off).  I am back running!!! 

Overall, despite some solid crowd support and emotional moments for me, the experience left me feeling flat.  Boston did not live up to the hype or maybe I did not live up to Boston?  The expo was logistically easy to navigate but, nothing special iMO.  The waiting before the race was nothing short of torture, the weather for me was painful and the night and day after just did not seem exciting.   I did pick up a pair of the Adidas Boston 7 shoes via online (they are cool looking and use them for training runs to boot)

Maybe I just find more thrills in qualifying for Boston then running it?  Maybe, it just was a bad day for me overall?  

I'll be back in 2019 (already booked hotel), but I question future returns? Time will tell.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

My First Boston 2018  Empty Re: My First Boston 2018

Post  ounce Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 am

Gratz on the training and the success, Kenny.

As far as your assessment of Boston, I had always wondered if it's just the aura of being at the 'Boston Marathon, y'all!' or if it was hype.  The consistent knock against Boston is being transported like cattle to a slaughterhouse series of corrals.  But since it's the 'Boston Marathon, y'all!' the organizers have zero motivation to make the start any better.

Keep at it.  Oh, and stop by to introduce a poll, every now and then.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat May 12, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks!!! Funny about the polls! I might be all out polls. Mmmmm
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun May 13, 2018 8:44 am

Good to see you're still at it Mr. Baldo. And with some consistent good times too. Boston is a storied race, but conditions can be brutal as you now know. Getting into shape to qualify and the camaraderie among qualifiers is it's own reward. Good to hear from you Kenny. Stop in again from time to time.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 13, 2018 3:31 pm

I think there's an understandable amount of hype leading up to Boston, so it's not surprising for there to be a bit of a letdown once you're there. I bet you would have had a better takeaway if the conditions hadn't been so miserable. (You should feel pretty accomplished for completing one of the nastiest Bostons ever, btw. This is one they'll be talking about for years.)

AND... since you've already qualified for 2019, you've got a chance to see if the second time's a charm!

Thanks for stopping in, Kenny! Don't be a stranger.

Besides, I'd be interested in hearing about your training approach that finally got you to the big race.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Sorry my hometown race couldn't live up to all the hype - but I'm going attribute a lot of that to the conditions as they were absolutely horrific!  Sorry too that we didn't catch up but it was great to hang out with Seth - so maybe next year when you are an old pro.  After all, the weather has to be better than this past one!  Congrats and see you in 2019!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry my hometown race couldn't live up to all the hype - but I'm going attribute a lot of that to the conditions as they were absolutely horrific!  Sorry too that we didn't catch up but it was great to hang out with Seth - so maybe next year when you are an old pro.  After all, the weather has to be better than this past one!  Congrats and see you in 2019!

I'll be there next year and hopefully we can all meet up.  Thanks!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 14, 2018 11:13 am

Kenny B. wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry my hometown race couldn't live up to all the hype - but I'm going attribute a lot of that to the conditions as they were absolutely horrific!  Sorry too that we didn't catch up but it was great to hang out with Seth - so maybe next year when you are an old pro.  After all, the weather has to be better than this past one!  Congrats and see you in 2019!

I'll be there next year and hopefully we can all meet up.  Thanks!

Good to hear you're going to give Boston a second chance.  Pretty tough year this year from the sounds of it.

Great to hear about your continued running success...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Poor Kenny. Had you worked a little harder and qualified a little earlier ... lol!

Boston is my favorite of the big three. Hope you will see the beauty next year, Kenny.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down