365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Boston

+6
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
ounce
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Tim C
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2018 Boston - Page 2 Empty Re: 2018 Boston

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Nice mini-report, Michele! Thanks. 

I can't imagine that any of the runners out there managed to get by without at least some level of hypothermia. At least overheating wasn't an issue...

Congrats on the finishing time! It seemed that this marathon rewarded the strongest runners more than the more fragile super speedy ones. Kind of nice to see, actually!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 pm

ounce wrote:
Jerry wrote:Jerry is indeed alive.  lol!

A month before Boston 2015, which I did 317, I had a 122 half marathon, so I was in a sub 3 shape. A little disappointment considering I had a 259 in Boston 2014. Then everything went downhill. My last marathon is Houston 2016, 301 in a perfect weather. I quit marathoning and focused on half. It only got worse. My best half since is 124 in Dec 2016. My last half is 126 Dec 2017. My weight is 18 lbs heavier. 

So I quit running this year and went back to play soccer at 50 division. 

My daughter is 16 and two years later when I am empty netted, I may start running again. No promises.

I deleted my facebook app several years ago, after I realized I spent too much time reading others people's posts and political ads.  lol!

But I am still alive and never forget the good old times.

Love you all!
It must be him!

Welcome back, Jerry, although we may not see you again until next Boston.  You still have a seat at the table.

Jerry, you're always welcome to come back and visit, and I hope your soccer team does well. All that running around after the ball might just get you in shape for another attempt a fast marathon in a few years. Hey, you never know.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Jerry wrote:Jerry is indeed alive.  lol!

A month before Boston 2015, which I did 317, I had a 122 half marathon, so I was in a sub 3 shape. A little disappointment considering I had a 259 in Boston 2014. Then everything went downhill. My last marathon is Houston 2016, 301 in a perfect weather. I quit marathoning and focused on half. It only got worse. My best half since is 124 in Dec 2016. My last half is 126 Dec 2017. My weight is 18 lbs heavier. 

So I quit running this year and went back to play soccer at 50 division. 

My daughter is 16 and two years later when I am empty netted, I may start running again. No promises.

I deleted my facebook app several years ago, after I realized I spent too much time reading others people's posts and political ads.  lol!

But I am still alive and never forget the good old times.

Love you all!
Those times ain't nuth'n to be ashamed of! I'm sure those 18 pounds only makes you look non-marathonorexic, you still super fit I bet! Good to hear from you my friend!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed May 09, 2018 5:55 pm

So I stumble here again.  Can't quite figure out the randomness of the email notifications.  
It was tough out there for sure.  I felt much the same way 1L did (I ran into her outside the expo), frozen stiff.  I had to have help as well to untie my shoes, open my drop bag, etc.  Uncontrollable shaking for 60-90 minutes.  Not sure exactly, my watch was shaking so bad I couldn't read it.  Not sure what was worse, the 90 degrees in 2012 or this disaster.  Different issues for sure and both memorable.  This was one of those races where you just put your head down and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I just tried to be relatively consistent effort wise and let the chips fall where they may.  And they fell well.

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think of getting on the podium, let alone win at Boston when I started this journey a little more than nine years ago.  It was just to get in a bit better shape after my dad died.  My first race was a 49min+ 10k Turkey Trot.  Who knew the path this would take.  The people I've met.  The relationships I've found - both virtual and in the flesh.  It was never the plan to even run one marathon, let alone train to compete at the highest levels in AG competitions.  I could retire now and be completely fulfilled with it all.  I'm not sure how I could do more.  For us ageing citizen runners - Boston is it!!  The pinnacle.  I'm so humbled by everything.  So even though I could retire, I'm not going to anytime in the near future.  Gonna try and beat that age curve - lol. 

Thanks so much for tracking along, even though I only show up here a couple of times a year, although I see many of you on Strava and Facebook.  It's nice to know there's a strong community out there that continues to support people even if a bit forgotten.

Michael
2018 Boston - Page 2 Top_20102018 Boston - Page 2 Downlo112018 Boston - Page 2 Boston102018 Boston - Page 2 Downlo10
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi Michael! Thanks for the post! 

I think this year's torture-fest at Boston rewarded the resilient -- the people who've been at it long enough to grit their teeth and refuse to give in, and have the strength and depth of training to pull it off. The hypothermia doesn't sound much fun, though.

What a ride it's been for you! I'm glad you're not retiring, because you're the sort of runner we'd all like to be when we grow up. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun May 13, 2018 9:01 am

Outstanding race and excellent report Michael. And you save the best for last -- posing with Shalane. Perfect! Serious congratulations are in order.

And for that matter, serious congratulations are in order for all who ran and finished Boston this year. Thanks Michele for your report and the picture of you, Seth, Schuey and tribe. Glad you all were able to persevere and thaw out afterwards. Those conditions were absolutely brutal.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon May 14, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for the report Michael.  I started running late in life as well...I haven't enjoyed the level of success that you have...but it's encouraging to hear what you've been able to accomplish.  Congrats!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 pm

mountandog wrote:So I stumble here again.  Can't quite figure out the randomness of the email notifications.  
It was tough out there for sure.  I felt much the same way 1L did (I ran into her outside the expo), frozen stiff.  I had to have help as well to untie my shoes, open my drop bag, etc.  Uncontrollable shaking for 60-90 minutes.  Not sure exactly, my watch was shaking so bad I couldn't read it.  Not sure what was worse, the 90 degrees in 2012 or this disaster.  Different issues for sure and both memorable.  This was one of those races where you just put your head down and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I just tried to be relatively consistent effort wise and let the chips fall where they may.  And they fell well.

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think of getting on the podium, let alone win at Boston when I started this journey a little more than nine years ago.  It was just to get in a bit better shape after my dad died.  My first race was a 49min+ 10k Turkey Trot.  Who knew the path this would take.  The people I've met.  The relationships I've found - both virtual and in the flesh.  It was never the plan to even run one marathon, let alone train to compete at the highest levels in AG competitions.  I could retire now and be completely fulfilled with it all.  I'm not sure how I could do more.  For us ageing citizen runners - Boston is it!!  The pinnacle.  I'm so humbled by everything.  So even though I could retire, I'm not going to anytime in the near future.  Gonna try and beat that age curve - lol. 

Thanks so much for tracking along, even though I only show up here a couple of times a year, although I see many of you on Strava and Facebook.  It's nice to know there's a strong community out there that continues to support people even if a bit forgotten.

Michael
2018 Boston - Page 2 Top_20102018 Boston - Page 2 Downlo112018 Boston - Page 2 Boston102018 Boston - Page 2 Downlo10

Where did you take those pictures, Michael? If there is a special event for AG winners, I might be motivated.  lol!

That's an amazing achievement. I wish I were any close to that. Congratulations, Michael.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2