365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 26 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm

ounce wrote:It rained on Monday morning, so I scrapped the run.  However, I did go lift weights this morning.  It was 54 degrees.  I will run tomorrow morning, if nothing else, to loosen up the legs for the stress test tomorrow afternoon.

Tonight, temps will be in the 60's during Game 1.  The roof will be closed at Minute Maid Park aka "The Juice Box."  It'll be loud inside with the roof closed.  Management wouldn't have it any other way, unless MLB says otherwise.

Max Scherzer for the Nats and Gerritt Cole for the Stros.  Scherzer throws hard and Cole hasn't lost since May.  Both Cole and Astros pitcher Justin Verlander are the top 2 candidates for the Cy Young award.

Interesting note:  When the Astros are behind at the 8th inning, they've lost 47 out of 48 games.

Right now, it's 78 degrees with a dew point of 39 degrees.  25% humidity.  Same weather for tomorrow.

First pitch is 5:08 pm PT.
Just got in the house and turned the game on.  Astros in the lead 2-1 in the bottom of the third.  Scherzer seems to be struggling a bit...

Enjoy the game. 

Good luck with your stress test tomorrow.  I kind of enjoyed the challenge when I did mine.  Let us know how it goes.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:47 am

Well the Nats held on to that game by the skin of their teeth!

We've got a meeting tonight and will miss the game.  May be able to catch the end if the meeting doesn't run to long.

Good luck on the stress test today!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 am

It'll be a tough series, like 2 equal male elks squaring off for the ladies.

I'll let you know what happens at the docs.

-30-

It was 56 degrees, this morning, with no breeze.  The moon seemed to be a Gnats fan as it was in the east with a big grin (1/4 moon).  scratch 

As previously mentioned, I have a stress test at 2:30 CT.  I had not run this week, yet, so I felt a special license to run 5 miles to loosen up (I guess), more so to stretch my running distances.

5 miles, 1:04:27, 12:53 pace, 160 avg cadence, 0.78 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 12:59, 2nd half pace 12:47.
1.  13:15, 160 spm, 76 sl
2.  12:57, 159 spm, 78 sl, (HR 150)
3.  12:45, 161 spm, 79 sl, (HR 150)
4.  12:42, 161 spm, 79 sl, (HR 162)
5.  12:47, 159 spm, 79 sl, (HR 156)
How about THAT, sports fans!  Ride

Mile 1 didn't feel like a 13:15, but it felt easy.  Back in the mid-70 degree mornings, similar 'felt easy' got me a 14:30.

After seeing that mile 1 split, the first thought was could it be maintained?  Second thought was, what's my HR?  I never saw my mile 3 split, but taking the HR resulted in a grin that a lowering of the overall pace didn't result in a higher HR.

Approaching mile 4, the decision was going to be whether to maintain pace as far as I could (if the pace was lowering) or, if not, begin a recovery final mile.  Also prior to mile 4, I was starting to wobble a bit.  The split was pretty mind boggling and the pace was faster, so I knuckled down and unwobbled.  The breathing had become an 85% effort, but with 80% HR effort.

I was so tickled with the run.  I hope I've left something in the tank for the stress test.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:57 am

nkrichards wrote:Well the Nats held on to that game by the skin of their teeth!

We've got a meeting tonight and will miss the game.  May be able to catch the end if the meeting doesn't run to long.

Good luck on the stress test today!
I think the whole series will be that way.  If the Astros can get their offense going better, but the Nats starting rotation is so good.  A split today and an Astros win in DC will cause the Series to return to Houston.

Tonight's pitching is Strasberg (3.32 ERA & 251 Ks) vs Verlander (2.58 ERA and 300 Ks).  If Verlander can escape the 1st inning without giving up a home run, he'll get into a good rhythm.

Have a fun meeting!  I'll let you know how the stress test went.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:24 pm

I managed 7 minutes and 49 seconds of activity on the treadmill.  I could've gone longer and harder, if the incline was less.  But my left fanny was whining a bit, so I threw in the towel.  The 'good enough' HR was 134 and 100% 164.  I dinged the bell at 164 and kept going to the 7:49 towel throwing time.  I imagine it was about 30 seconds past 100%.

No pain except the pain in the ass.  (YESSSS!  Got to use that line!!) cheers 

The doc was satisfied with the result, however I was throwing some PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) during the lower HR part of the test.  From the Mayo Clinic - "Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a fluttering or a skipped beat in your chest."

This is about what mine looked like.  As my heart rate increased, the PVCs stopped.  I have felt those for years.

Term Limits? - Page 26 UMH_LL-PVCs-20161010-01-01

He wanted to restart on the Coreg bp med.  I explained he stopped it in September so it wouldn't mess with my running.  He said he doesn't think the low dose that I would restart (3.125 mg) would even be noticed.  A max dosage on Coreg is 25 mg.  If I have any problems with it, call him.

He wants to see me in 4 months, which is January (September to January is 4 months).  I told him I won't come in before the marathon because I don't want him to change anything that I've been doing.  I gave him my BP chart and the revised running schedule.

Tomorrow is weights day.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:08 pm

I've been looking at garmin watches and polar watches.  And I started getting mad.  Kevin at Garmin told me that the Forerunner 220's battery lasts 3-5 years.  So, you have to buy a replacement watch for $249+ every 3-5 years.  That's planned obsolescence.  Garmin's financial analysts can plan revenue a lot easier than those that have the Forerunner 305, like I used to, Nancy used to, and Mark presently does.  My died because it committed suicide by detaching itself from the strap at 9 years old.

Sure, they offered to discount the 245 by 20% off the $249.  But, they need to cough up a bigger discount like 30%-40%.  I'll bet people upgrade features compared to what they have, so they're not losing much margin on the sale.

If the durn thing is going to die, then why pay a lot when you'll have to buy another one before the next presidential election?

It's a bunch of crap.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 pm

This morning, I lifted.  I still enjoy it.  It was 66 degrees.  I'm still not hurting afterwards, nor the next day.  Oh well.

Friday morning, it's supposed to be raining again with the benefit of Saturday and Sunday mornings in the upper 40's.  pale 
Looking forward to running 12 miles (or 13) on either day.  Might be able to fit in a short run.

The Houston Half Marathon is Sunday morning and is the 1st of the 3 warm up races before the marathon.  The 3rd race is the 30K on December 15 for which I am registered.

If my training is on time, I would be running 15 miles this weekend.  So, running 12 or 13 is not so bad.  Had I been following my post-MI schedule, I'd be running 10, this weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:53 pm

ounce wrote:I managed 7 minutes and 49 seconds of activity on the treadmill.  I could've gone longer and harder, if the incline was less.  But my left fanny was whining a bit, so I threw in the towel.  The 'good enough' HR was 134 and 100% 164.  I dinged the bell at 164 and kept going to the 7:49 towel throwing time.  I imagine it was about 30 seconds past 100%.

No pain except the pain in the ass.  (YESSSS!  Got to use that line!!) cheers 

The doc was satisfied with the result, however I was throwing some PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) during the lower HR part of the test.  From the Mayo Clinic - "Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a fluttering or a skipped beat in your chest."

This is about what mine looked like.  As my heart rate increased, the PVCs stopped.  I have felt those for years.

Term Limits? - Page 26 UMH_LL-PVCs-20161010-01-01

He wanted to restart on the Coreg bp med.  I explained he stopped it in September so it wouldn't mess with my running.  He said he doesn't think the low dose that I would restart (3.125 mg) would even be noticed.  A max dosage on Coreg is 25 mg.  If I have any problems with it, call him.

He wants to see me in 4 months, which is January (September to January is 4 months).  I told him I won't come in before the marathon because I don't want him to change anything that I've been doing.  I gave him my BP chart and the revised running schedule.

Tomorrow is weights day.
Sounds like a successful stress test and a good relationship with your cardiologist.  I agree with the decision not to change things to much as you get closer to your marathon.  Looks like you're both pretty happy with your recovery progress.  Congrats!
ounce wrote:I've been looking at garmin watches and polar watches.  And I started getting mad.  Kevin at Garmin told me that the Forerunner 220's battery lasts 3-5 years.  So, you have to buy a replacement watch for $249+ every 3-5 years.  That's planned obsolescence.  Garmin's financial analysts can plan revenue a lot easier than those that have the Forerunner 305, like I used to, Nancy used to, and Mark presently does.  My died because it committed suicide by detaching itself from the strap at 9 years old.

Sure, they offered to discount the 245 by 20% off the $249.  But, they need to cough up a bigger discount like 30%-40%.  I'll bet people upgrade features compared to what they have, so they're not losing much margin on the sale.

If the durn thing is going to die, then why pay a lot when you'll have to buy another one before the next presidential election?

It's a bunch of crap.
Couldn't agree more.  It's so frustrating.  It's all types of technology and it is a bunch of crap!!
ounce wrote:This morning, I lifted.  I still enjoy it.  It was 66 degrees.  I'm still not hurting afterwards, nor the next day.  Oh well.

Friday morning, it's supposed to be raining again with the benefit of Saturday and Sunday mornings in the upper 40's.  pale 
Looking forward to running 12 miles (or 13) on either day.  Might be able to fit in a short run.

The Houston Half Marathon is Sunday morning and is the 1st of the 3 warm up races before the marathon.  The 3rd race is the 30K on December 15 for which I am registered.

If my training is on time, I would be running 15 miles this weekend.  So, running 12 or 13 is not so bad.  Had I been following my post-MI schedule, I'd be running 10, this weekend.
Good to see you're ahead of your post-MI schedule.   cheers Hope the long run this weekend goes well.

I'm heading over to pick up my Mom and bring her home for the weekend.  Hope she doesn't mind watching the game tonight.    Laughing  Sorry we missed the Wednesday night game...this is kind of starting to be fun.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Game 2 was the one to watch.  I went to bed before the 6 run 7th.  If you have a dog in the fight, the World Series is quite something to watch, especially if it goes 7 games.

I don't know if I have THAT great a relationship.  He hasn't said anything that will keep me from running.  I guess I'm not being fretful and asking lots of questions about the here and now. 

I wish I didn't have to find a watch.  Mad 

The cold front came through like gangbusters, overnight.  Rain, 20 mph winds, and a post-cold front high of 52.  Since I haven't ran since Wednesday and that it's going to be around 50 degrees and a lower 40's wind chill, 13 miles might be in the cards.

Your Nats are in a good spot, right now.  For you....I'll accept gladly them winning, but I have no pull with the Astros to throw the Series.

Enjoy having your mom over.  I'll bet she'll be asleep before 8 PT.  Right now, it's 2-0 in the top of the 4th. 

Thanks for reading the posts.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:44 am

It was 50 degrees with a 10 mph wind, so wind chill in the mid-40s.

13 miles, 2:58:22, 13:43 pace, 160 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, avg pace at mile 8 13:43
1.   13:51, 160 spm, 72 sl
2.   13:43, 161 spm, 73 sl
3.   13:35, 161 spm, 74 sl
4.   13:46, 160 spm, 73 sl
5.   13:37, 160 spm, 74 sl
6.   13:27, 161 spm, 74 sl
7.   13:37, 159 spm, 74 sl
8.   13:35, 160 spm, 74 sl
9.   13:38, 159 spm, 74 sl
10. 13:36, 161 spm, 74 sl
11. 14:03, 160 spm, 71 sl
12. 13:52, 160 spm, 72 sl
13. 13:59, 160 spm, 72 sl
end of run HR - 138 bpm

This is the first long run where the distance was the farthest doable, today.  Probably a little residual of Wednesday's stress test, the added, but previously not done, ups and downs from being close to the bayou. 

The calves were whining a bunch, afterwards.  Glutes and quads were whining, during the later 5 miles.  My having to stand to make breakfast, resulted in the calves are calmer, along with the glutes and quads.  I also forgot to treat a prior chafing area and BOY when the shower hit it, OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!  pale 

Overall, though, I found the mileage limit, today, and I'm happy with the run.  So, I don't think I can do anymore 2 mile increases.  And that's okay.  I can probably run a 18 mile long run in November, before the 30K on Dec 15.  I'm thinking about breaking out a new pair of shoes to break in and probably use on race days.

Holler with questions.  thanks for reading.

As you can tell, I started slowing down at miles 11, 12, and 13, but the cadence was consistent for 11 of the 13 miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:24 pm

ounce wrote:It was 50 degrees with a 10 mph wind, so wind chill in the mid-40s.

13 miles, 2:58:22, 13:43 pace, 160 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, avg pace at mile 8 13:43
1.   13:51, 160 spm, 72 sl
2.   13:43, 161 spm, 73 sl
3.   13:35, 161 spm, 74 sl
4.   13:46, 160 spm, 73 sl
5.   13:37, 160 spm, 74 sl
6.   13:27, 161 spm, 74 sl
7.   13:37, 159 spm, 74 sl
8.   13:35, 160 spm, 74 sl
9.   13:38, 159 spm, 74 sl
10. 13:36, 161 spm, 74 sl
11. 14:03, 160 spm, 71 sl
12. 13:52, 160 spm, 72 sl
13. 13:59, 160 spm, 72 sl
end of run HR - 138 bpm

This is the first long run where the distance was the farthest doable, today.  Probably a little residual of Wednesday's stress test, the added, but previously not done, ups and downs from being close to the bayou. 

The calves were whining a bunch, afterwards.  Glutes and quads were whining, during the later 5 miles.  My having to stand to make breakfast, resulted in the calves are calmer, along with the glutes and quads.  I also forgot to treat a prior chafing area and BOY when the shower hit it, OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!  pale 

Overall, though, I found the mileage limit, today, and I'm happy with the run.  So, I don't think I can do anymore 2 mile increases.  And that's okay.  I can probably run a 18 mile long run in November, before the 30K on Dec 15.  I'm thinking about breaking out a new pair of shoes to break in and probably use on race days.

Holler with questions.  thanks for reading.

As you can tell, I started slowing down at miles 11, 12, and 13, but the cadence was consistent for 11 of the 13 miles.
Impressive run Doug!  Yes, you did slow down a bit those last three miles but not a ton and you kept up your cadence.  Awesome.  I'm so amazed at your recovery and progress since your cardiac event.  You should be proud!

We figured out the Nats problem last night.  Kevin doesn't have TV so has been listening to the games but hasn't been able to watch.  Last night he made plans to spend the evening at Gary's house so he could watch the game and the cousins could play.  So...we told him he's banned from watching the rest of the games.   Wink  I'm taking Mom to the community play so I won't get to watch either...but I'll check the score when we get home.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Don't go getting mushy on me. Somehow, I have to get some speed going. This coming week may involve some intervals, since I've already done Monday's long run.

It does me zero good to be able to finish the marathon, if it's not under 6 hours. That's just the hard truth.

Baseball's a superstitious game and you're in the thick of it. But, what's Augie doing during the game?

With the win, last night, I can enjoy the game more. And tonight's lead helps. I can watch both teams play as a fan.

Interesting that the visitor has won all 3 games.

Thanks, Nancy. Good luck.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Max Scherzer is not pitching, tonight, due to back spasms for the past 2 nights. Maybe for game 7*

*- if necessary.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:18 am

On my schedule, Monday is a long run day.  Since I ran the 13 miler on Saturday, today was open to do something.  In actuality, this whole week feels like a 'bye' week because the next long run will be next Monday.  So, acting on the need for speed from a post I made, today became Interval day.  It's been probably July, since the last one.

It was 62 degrees, this morning.  The plan was 3 x 880 with 1/4 rest.  My rest is a walk or shuffle.  I took my HR after each 880 and it was never above 150, which was surprising to me.

1.  11:57 pace, 166 spm, 81 sl
2.  11:54 pace, 167 spm, 81 sl
3.  11:28 pace, 167 spm, 84 sl

I set a cadence of 164, but let the legs go however they wanted.  I thought for SURE my HR was higher than 150 because the breathing was certainly fast.  Guess my heart didn't need it.

The next interval I do, I'll increase the 880s to 4 from 3.  I will work on dovetailing the intervals with faster long run splits, especially the 2nd half of the long run.  Wednesday will be a parking garage run to acclimate the legs to the elevation rises that future long runs will contain, but by mid-November, I think I'll delete the parking garage for intervals because the long runs will have the elevation change.  I'll see to that.

It's 12 weeks to Houston (Jan 20) and 7 weeks to the 30K (Dec 15).  I think that I'll target a 13:15 pace for long runs.  Not right now because I can't do that right now.  But the 13:15 pace is the 30K's slowest pace allowed.  What a coincidence for a target!  13:45 is Houston's. 

Today?  Right now?  13:15 is wayyyy out there.  But knowing it, KNOWING IT, makes it sink into my head and sets the stage for doing it.  There will be some doubting along the way, but 13:15 is the target and it would be a great target for Houston.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:37 am

ounce wrote:Don't go getting mushy on me.  Somehow, I have to get some speed going.  This coming week may involve some intervals, since I've already done Monday's long run.

It does me zero good to be able to finish the marathon, if it's not under 6 hours.  That's just the hard truth.

Baseball's  a superstitious game and you're in the thick of it.  But, what's Augie doing during the game?

With the win, last night, I can enjoy the game more.  And tonight's lead helps.  I can watch both teams play as a fan.

Interesting  that the visitor has won all 3 games.

Thanks, Nancy.  Good luck.
Wasn't able to watch the game last night as we had to run Mom home.  It is really funny that the visiting team has been the winner so far...interesting and relatively unusual I presume.

Kevin did watch the game last night. Hmmm.

As far as Augie...remember he's a farm dog.  His job is to bark when he senses intruders.  He's not really a companion dog and doesn't come in the house at all.  He hangs with Marty or the crew during the day.  I don't spend much time at all with him.

Nice intervals this morning.  You paced them well.  It's always better when the last one is the fastest.  Most people start to fast and then can't finish the set without slowing down.

I'm predicting that you're going to reach your 13:15 goal pace...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm

This baseball thing is getting addicting.  Interesting game last night!  Kevin took the boys to wrestling practice so he didn't watch.  He asked if he could watch the game here tonight.  Not sure I should let him.   Shocked

Running Running Running Running  Question
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:17 pm

nkrichards wrote:This baseball thing is getting addicting.  Interesting game last night!  Kevin took the boys to wrestling practice so he didn't watch.  He asked if he could watch the game here tonight.  Not sure I should let him.   Shocked

Running Running Running Running  Question
Well, for your sake, I hope you did.  If you didn't...let him watch Twisted Evil

7th games, when you're interested, are more nerve wracking because the last out is THE last out. 

Last night, I went to bed at the 6th inning because I didn't believe the Astros would win and I had a run this morning.  With Verlander's lackluster performance and Strausberg's performance, game 7 would be played.  I could've been wrong.

It'll be interesting tonight with Scherzer on the mound.  All hands are available.  The roof will be closed and it'll be in the 40's tonight with a 15-25 mph north wind.  Cool....like it was in DC.  Hmmmmm.  The Astros did well in the cold.

-30-

To catch up, Tuesday was weights and it went well.  Still don't have any muscle pain afterwards.

Today, I was to run (re comment above about 6th inning).  But when the alarm sounded, I turned it off and was going to get right up.

3 hours later, I woke up.  So much for the run and so much for running in the 60's for a while.  I am hoping, for Friday's run, the winds will subside because the temps are forecasted for 39 (th-th-th-th-thirty nine degrees pale ) Friday morning.  I'll run 6 or 7 miles on Friday.  14 on Monday.

So you think I'm really going to hit the 13:15?  Thanks.  We'll see.  Time will tell.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:05 am

Kevin and family came for dinner last night...and to watch the game.  He left during the 6th inning with the Nats trailing 0-2 as the kids were getting restless and needed to get to bed.  Good thing he went home when he did.  It gave the Nats enough time to turn things around.   cheers  Lots of interesting statistics related to this series.  Seems like they have a stats/records for everything!

I saw your Ironheart post asking about beta blockers.  I knew you were being treated for high BP but didn't realize Coreg was a beta blocker.  I was on metoprolol.  I struggled and blamed it on the medication but I've been off it for a couple years and I'm still struggling so can't really use that excuse...old age...mental block...insufficient training...heart damage...lack of confidence...  Who knows.  

Dr. B allowed me to go stop taking it when he realized that my HR was 48 while I was sitting in his office nervous about my visit.  Did you start taking the Coreg yet or are you asking because you aren't sure you want to? Have you tracked your RHR?  Do you feel that it's your HR that's limiting your speed or do you feel it's your legs that aren't ready to move faster yet?

I know how frustrating it is when you aren't able to meet your goals and you aren't sure why.  It's one thing to know what you need to fix...or know that you can't fix it and it's just a fact of life...but not knowing why is tormenting me right now and I'm sure you have similar feelings.

You're asking the right questions...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:01 pm

Yes, it was such a good game and the Nats waited until Greinke finished pitching to score the runs. Timely hits that the Astros couldn't do.

Now, just watch how much money Astros pitcher Gerrit Cole will get in the off season as a free agent. The Astros can't afford him, due to the salary tax that would occur. I'm thinking $40m for 6 or 7 years. He went to college at UCLA, so a California team might seem logical.

The doc started me on Coreg in the hospital, then 2 weeks later in clinic, he stopped it, when he released me to start running, but wNted me to keep track of the BP. I averaged around 142/80 +/- 3, which the 142 is classic Stage 2 hypertension (>140).

You may remember that I take potassium citrate. A couple of mornings, I forgot to take the potassium. My BP went to 152/85, so that could be my true baseline.

Except after a run, morning HR was in the 60s. Evening HR in the mid-50s. He was never concerned with HR, that I could tell. Heck, in the hospital I was conscious going to the cath lab in the afternoon and my HR was 45. I still love the reaction, "Your heart rate is low. Oh, you're the runner."

My heart is out-performing the rest of the body. I will not take Coreg until after the marathon (~80 days). I just can't afford any impediments. Beta blockers DO assist on limiting PVCs, though.

But on that Ironheart thread, 8 different people with probably 8 different heart issues all commented that beta blockers affected their running. Admittedly, my dosage is probably pretty small. Had I consistently been a 5 hour marathoner (meaning, can comfortably finish under 6 hours), I probably would take it. I'm not a 5 hour marathoner.

So my condition is not dependent on taking Coreg to stay alive. Afterwards, I can train and adapt to the med for the 2021 race.

Yeah, not knowing, or not being able to ask the question, then the follow up question(s) is not fun.

I think my next cardiac issue will be electrical because I get short aFib episodes every other week or longer. That with the PVCs might not be a yummy situation.

Magnesium can help PVCs. I'm already taking some, now to find out if I can increase the amount.

Thanks, Nancy. I acquired a new respect for cardiologists because they have to deal with the electrical as well as the mechanical. And I'm very glad they can have full access to that muscle.

-30-

This morning, it was 40 degrees with a 15-20 mph north breeze when I went to lift weights. A bit nippy out there. But I enjoyed the workout and even increased the weight on one. In a couple of weeks, I should be increasing on others.

Tomorrow morning, a 6-7 mile run with a temp of 36 with a light north breeze. It will be November tomorrow, after all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 am

It was 35 degrees, this morning, with mostly no breeze.  I wore 2 long sleeved shirts, my Buff head covering and a pair of giveaway, throwdown gloves from last year's Houston.  I was exactly dressed for 6 miles.  Would've worked for 14 miles.

Again, the cadence was 161.  This 6 miles is the sorta long run for the week.  I was going to try to push it on this run to see how far I could go before I had to slow down.  It's a good benchmark for the next couple of weeks on what's doable, tactically, and how 13:15 is attainable, strategically.

6 miles, 1:17:50, 12:58 avg pace, 161 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:10, 2nd half pace 12:46.
1.  13:07, 161 spm, 76 sl
2.  13:10, 161 spm, 76 sl (144 bpm)
3.  13:13, 160 spm, 76 sl
4.  12:50, 161 spm, 78 sl
5.  12:41, 161 spm, 79 sl (150 bpm)
6.  12:47, 161 spm, 78 sl

So, the answer is mile 6 as to when I would slow down in 35 degree weather.  I was also in a new pair of Kinvara 9 shoes.  It always takes a few runs to get the heel part of the sole worn down, but I was trying to run quietly.

My right quad was whining some during mile 3, but settled down. 

During mile 4, my breathing was very quick.  I wasn't sure that I would be able to sustain that for the rest of the run.  Then for some reason, I started thinking about the 1999 movie "The Matrix."  Do you remember when Morpheus had Neo in that Japanese room, early in the movie, where they did just mass quantities of mixed martial arts?  After a minute of tussling with Morpheus, Neo was breathing hard in this non-real, Matrix room.  Morpheus was trying to get Neo to realize that the room isn't real, so earthly rules don't apply. 

Then he said, "Do you think that's air you're breathing?"  Meaning, there's no need to think you need to breathe because the room isn't real.  At that point, my breathing became less labored.  Now, I don't know if this is an 'aha' moment or not.  But it will make me think for the next time, if I need to really breathe that hard.

The heart was transparent to the user.  Very nice to see 3 12's on a run.

Thanks for reading.  (I've read where Houston beat Boston to the 30's, this Fall, but didn't beat Madras to 11 degrees.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Running in cooler temperatures is nice isn't it!  I assume that run was a confidence builder.  Nice to see those paces.  Nice job controlling the breathing.  Sounds like you were able to relax and reset and continue on because of it.

I was actually pleased that I was able to enjoy a run in the 40's yesterday afternoon.  Shirt sleeve weather.  Our temps are still well below freezing every night but not quite as cold and warming nicely during the day.

I don't want to go on record as supporting a decision to ignore your cardiologist's recommendation but I can understand your desire to wait till after the marathon to make medication changes.  Adjusting to medication...especially a beta blocker...can take time and patience.  It messes with your mind as well as your physical ability.  Just make sure you keep an eye on your stats and listen to your body.  I don't have specific HR goals for either resting or maximum.  I just like to watch my resting HR as it's an indication of adaptation and training load.  Fortunately I don't have to worry about BP at this point.

Hope you continue to enjoy comfortable running weather.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm

nkrichards wrote:Running in cooler temperatures is nice isn't it!  I assume that run was a confidence builder.  Nice to see those paces.  Nice job controlling the breathing.  Sounds like you were able to relax and reset and continue on because of it.

I was actually pleased that I was able to enjoy a run in the 40's yesterday afternoon.  Shirt sleeve weather.  Our temps are still well below freezing every night but not quite as cold and warming nicely during the day.

I don't want to go on record as supporting a decision to ignore your cardiologist's recommendation but I can understand your desire to wait till after the marathon to make medication changes.  Adjusting to medication...especially a beta blocker...can take time and patience.  It messes with your mind as well as your physical ability.  Just make sure you keep an eye on your stats and listen to your body.  I don't have specific HR goals for either resting or maximum.  I just like to watch my resting HR as it's an indication of adaptation and training load.  Fortunately I don't have to worry about BP at this point.

Hope you continue to enjoy comfortable running weather.
Cool is, well, COOL!  Winter is not a season down here, just a time when grass and bushes sleep. 

I gotcha on the meds.  I know some people (non-runners) on 3 BP meds because the beta blockers do different things.

-30-

It was 55 degrees, this morning, with a noticeable east breeze.  A short-sleeved shirt did the trick.

161 cadence and just running the 14 miles at what the mind and legs could agree.  I'd like to go fast, but it IS 14 miles, after all.  Just a good showing.  Some faster final miles, no time bleeding, and a 161 cadence (+/-2) and I'm happy camper.

14 miles, 3:16:19, 14:01 pace, 158 spm, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:54, 2nd half pace 14:08.
1.  13:53, 160 spm, 72 sl
2.  13:44, 161 spm, 73 sl
3.  13:50, 160 spm, 73 sl  (132 bpm)
4.  14:06, 161 spm, 71 sl
5.  14:03, 159 spm, 72 sl
6.  13:58, 159 spm, 72 sl  (138 bpm)
7.  13:42, 160 spm, 73 sl
8.  13:54, 159 spm, 73 sl
9.  13:45, 160 spm, 73 sl
10. 13:55, 159 spm, 73 sl
11. 14:03, 159 spm, 72 sl  (144 bpm)
12. 14:07, 160 spm, 71 sl
13. 14:19, 152 spm, 74 sl
14. 14:58, 151 spm, 71 sl
End of run HR - 144 bpm.

Faster final miles - Nope.
No time bleeding - Nope.
161 cadence - Nope.

The bleeding began around mile 9.5, when things got difficult.  I know why, and I can fix it.  I did not have the same mental clarity as I needed.  The fix?  Carry some food.  Last week, I carried a piece of fudge that I make.  It didn't seem to make a difference, so I didn't care any, this week.  However, I had some medium grade chafing, last week, and I did fix that.  I just need a couple of cookies to raise the sugar levels to the brain.  I don't know if it would've fixed my 13 and 14's splits, but I might find out, next week (or maybe this Saturday) on the 15 mile long run.

Another shot, next time.

On the subject of Garmin's planned obsolescence with my 4 year old Forerunner 220.  I thought of an idea during today's run.  What if I went to a watch repair facility and see if they could replace the battery? 

I'll let you know.  Thanks for soliciting this blog.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Yesterday, I did a whole lot more walking that I intended to and was extremely bushed at the end of the day.  9 hours sleep was deep and I was just a little stiff, this morning.

It was 68 degrees and foggy, this morning, when I went to the gym.  SOOOO glad I didn't run this morning.  We're supposed to have another cold front roll through on Thursday for a nice, cool weekend.  Even looks good enough to run 15 over the weekend.  But we'll hit 80 today.  Seasonal is 78, so not far off.  SHORTS!

At the gym, it seemed like the body was not firing on all cylinders, as I wasn't able to do all of the routines as spunky as on a regular Tuesday (being 4 days rested from last weights).  But I muddled through.  When I did the hip flexor stretch, it was SO tight and SO relaxing.  That really hit the spot(s).

Tomorrow, I'll run...something.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:28 pm

One more thing, I went by the watch repair place to see if they could replace the Garmin battery.  They told me there is not a place to open the watch to see what the battery is.

Now I have to figure out when I should send it back, so as to reduce the downtime on capturing the runs.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am

Call Garmin support - even if the watch is quite old they will assist you with options and if you need a new one, they'll most likely assist in that area as well (discounts, refurbs, etc.)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next