365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 18 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Well, a treadmill beats the sauna outside if the distance is short.  And I'm just about ready to go outside, again.

I couldn't go to 24 on Monday, but I did go today and Tuesday.  Did the usual pattern of upper body weights, although I think I'm going to add a couple of machines.  Did 40 squats of 2-10 without weight and 2-10 with a 20 lb kettle bell and 2-20 leg lifts (I'll be glad when that gets easier). After that and a little stretching, I went to the treadmill.

I walked a half mile, then I ran seven-tenths of a mile at 13:20 pace.  No surprises, but the usual muffled reaction as past days.  It felt fine and I even had my metronome with me chirping at 159 cadence.

This morning---
I did leg work, today.  Also did the same quantity of squats as Tuesday.  I need to add quad and hamstring machines to the adductor/abductor muscles.  Have to figure out doing dead lifts, too.  At some point, I'll start using free weights because it will work on secondary stabilizer muscles, unlike a weight machine that only goes up and down.

On the treadmill, I was thinking about running 0.85 miles, today.  I got started with a fifteen-hundreths walk, then ran at a 13:20 pace.  I could SURE tell that I had been working the legs, today.  A half mile had gone by and I wanted to stop.  The knee wasn't hurting and there was no stabbing pain anywhere.  But I conned myself into going 3/4 of a mile.  Had to go further than Tuesday's 0.70, after all.  I passed 0.75 and ran the planned 0.85 and kept going.

By this time, I was huffin' quite freely.  What the hell....go for a mile.  I wasn't hurting other than the breathing effort was above average.  I finished at 1 mile.  The legs weren't entirely happy with me, but they understood.  1 mile at 13:20, two days ahead of schedule.

Since I've essentially re-booted my running, I'm going to consider running at the 13:20 pace in the sauna and maybe even running 4 days a week.  I feel like I need to continue lifting weights, too.  It's 3 miles from the apt to the gym.  That'd be 6 miles round trip.  Not quite ready for that distance.

Thanks for dropping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:28 pm

I headed off to 24, this morning.  Everything felt fine as I did the weights and ran 1 mile again at 13:20 pace.  It was easier to do the mile, this morning, even though I thought I should stop at a half mile.  (I think my head is trying to not re-start training for a marathon again.  Kinda like its mothering me.)  I am getting the itch to run outside, sauna or not.

I have to come up with a new marathon training schedule and figure out when I can lift weights, to boot.
Monday - Long Run
Tuesday - weights, upper body.
Wednesday - Sorta Long Run (usually half the Long Run)
Thursday - some kind of interval/speed running
Friday - weights, lower body.

The above is written in pencil.  I like the long run on Mondays because I'd have 2 days of rest from weights and 3 days of rest from running.  Don't know if I could run 4 days a week, now, but that would involve running on a lifting day, too.

I am around 28 weeks from Houston with a weekly mileage of 3.  Should be an interesting schedule.  I also have paid for a 30K race in December.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:58 am

It's a Red Letter Day, here in the Bayou City.

I ran 2 miles in the sauna, although it was only 74 degrees here, instead of 78-82 degrees of last week.  Then, I went over to 24 to work the legs some more.  Now, the legs are pretty sauced.  Not hurting, not whining, just tired.  I wanted to see what flipping the order of weights and running would do.

2 miles, 25:48, 12:53 pace, 161 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length
1.  12:49, 162 spm, 78 sl
2.  12:57, 161 spm, 77 sl

Like a broken record over the past several years, I slow down in the summertime.  Quantified as +30 seconds a mile for every 5 degrees above 65 degrees.  Hmmm.  Well, I guess I sorta blew away that theory, unless it's true and my new non-summertime pace is around 11:53. 

The first mile was accompanied with a little huffin'.  The second, not so much.  But it was a little slower.  I am beyond pleased with the time and effort.  I bumped the cadence from 159.  Actually, my feet were turning faster than the gnome was beeping, so 161 was my steppin'.  I am almost impressed.  For the week, I ran 4.7 miles and was at 24 4 days.

Looking forward to next week.  Y'all have a seasonably appropriate weekend.

During the run, my afflicted knee was absolutely behaving with zero discomfort.  Looks like I'm back in business!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:42 am

Go Doug go!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Go Doug go!
+1

You seem to be the most consistent person on the boards...

Glad the knee is responding well and you're back outside!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 am

I haven't finished the training schedule, yet, but had a 3 mile long run on it for today.

It was 75 degrees with a dew point of 71, so the air wasn't thick.

3 miles, 38:42, 12:53 pace, 162 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 12:59, 2nd half pace 12:47.
1.  13:03, 161 spm, 77 sl
2.  12:49, 162 spm, 78 sl
3.  12:49, 162 spm, 78 sl

This was around a 5K effort, based on breathing effort.  It sure wasn't a 'conversational pace.'  Halfway during the 3rd mile, my pace was 12:21.  I was astounded.  I guess that was why I slowed down due to over-performing too soon.

I am trying to go faster than I would during this time of year to see if I can maintain it and to see how it affects training for the marathon.  It's 29 weeks until Houston, so I'm comfortable I can meet the schedule for a full marathon. 

My question for y'all is do I maintain this 5K type of running as I long as I can or when I reach mile X, then I slow down for a long run pace (which for me is marathon pace)?

I don't know if it's possible to maintain 5K pace on longer distances because I haven't tried.  It just seems foreign to me.  I always tried to 'survive' marathon training so I am able to toe the line with a healthy body.

Maybe slow down when the long run hits 10 miles?  I dunno.

Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 am

nkrichards wrote:
+1

You seem to be the most consistent person on the boards...

Glad the knee is responding well and you're back outside!
Well, everybody has things going on.

Thanks, y'all!  I would appreciate your insight on the post before this one.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:14 pm

ounce wrote:I haven't finished the training schedule, yet, but had a 3 mile long run on it for today.

3 miles, 38:42, 12:53 pace, 162 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 12:59, 2nd half pace 12:47.

This was around a 5K effort, based on breathing effort.  It sure wasn't a 'conversational pace.'  Halfway during the 3rd mile, my pace was 12:21.  I was astounded.  I guess that was why I slowed down due to over-performing too soon.

I am trying to go faster than I would during this time of year to see if I can maintain it and to see how it affects training for the marathon.  It's 29 weeks until Houston, so I'm comfortable I can meet the schedule for a full marathon. 

My question for y'all is do I maintain this 5K type of running as I long as I can or when I reach mile X, then I slow down for a long run pace (which for me is marathon pace)?

I don't know if it's possible to maintain 5K pace on longer distances because I haven't tried.  It just seems foreign to me.  I always tried to 'survive' marathon training so I am able to toe the line with a healthy body.

Thanks.
A 5K pace by definition is race pace for a 5K.  You shouldn't be able to hold that pace after 3.1 miles...and definitely not for anything close to 10 miles!  Now if you're talking about an appropriate tempo pace than that's a different question.  Check out some of the training pace calculators.  I especially like Hanson's but there are lots of good ones out there.  Then listen to their advice.  You'll need to honestly choose your MP when you plug it in or it will be "garbage in-garbage out".

I often create my own training plan or modify one I find online.  Be cautious that you don't put in to much fast running...both Temp and Intervals are fast running.  You need those long slow miles.  I haven't totally bought in to Marks Maffetone Method...we're both already slow enough in my opinion!  BUT I do think we need those long slow runs to adequately prepare for a marathon without over training.  Good luck.  I enjoy creating a training plan almost as much as executing it.   Razz
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:41 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I haven't finished the training schedule, yet, but had a 3 mile long run on it for today.

Thanks.
A 5K pace by definition is race pace for a 5K.  You shouldn't be able to hold that pace after 3.1 miles...and definitely not for anything close to 10 miles!  Now if you're talking about an appropriate tempo pace than that's a different question.  Check out some of the training pace calculators.  I especially like Hanson's but there are lots of good ones out there.  Then listen to their advice.  You'll need to honestly choose your MP when you plug it in or it will be "garbage in-garbage out".

I often create my own training plan or modify one I find online.  Be cautious that you don't put in to much fast running...both Temp and Intervals are fast running.  You need those long slow miles.  I haven't totally bought in to Marks Maffetone Method...we're both already slow enough in my opinion!  BUT I do think we need those long slow runs to adequately prepare for a marathon without over training.  Good luck.  I enjoy creating a training plan almost as much as executing it.   Razz
Burst my running faster bubble. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Wink Wink Wink 
After that run, I thought I could maybe approach Mark's slowest marathon time.  No chance now. No 

I'll check into it, Nancy.  I know it's been suggested before.  Thanks.

-30-
After Monday's 3 mile run and for the rest of the day, if I sat too long, my knee would whine loudly.  No sharp pain, but it was stiff and difficult to get the right knee content.  That lasted until I went to sleep.

I woke up and the pain was gone.  So I ran 6 miles Wink .  Nah, I'm fibbin'.  I went Tuesday to 24 to work on upper body weights, leg lifts, squats, etc.  Bumped up the amount on a couple of the machines.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:19 pm

This morning, I had the idea of running 4 miles, but at a slower pace.  It could've been a better decision by just running 3 miles.  I run the same route for both, so if I felt inadequate to run 4, I could just turn around sooner.

One positive thing about re-starting the running.  I bumped my cadence from 158 to 162 for Monday's 3 mile run.  This way, my huffin' was the faster pace and the higher cadence effect.  Both can be mitigated with endurance.  I might even bump it up to 164 or 165, then lock that in.  164 was my cadence 2 years ago and 155 was last year's.

This morning, it was 76 degrees with a dew point of 73 with no breeze.  Exclamation

4 miles, 55:39, 13:54 pace, 161 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:55, 2nd half pace 13:53.
1.  14:05, 162 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:43, 162 spm, 73 sl
3.  13:55, 160 spm, 72 sl
4.  13:54, 159 spm, 73 sl

Well, 4 miles is past my endurance capability, right now.  3.4 miles is the peak because I had to stop and rest a minute.  I felt like I could run 3, so I went past the 1.5 mile turnaround and turned back at 2 miles.  For how I was running, 13:55 was really nice for the two miles.

I rather like the 3.4 miles as my current peak because I have plenty of time to get better and I'm not hurting anywhere, when running.

After finishing the run, I laid down a beach towel and let the cool A/C dry me off.  Then, I got dressed and went to 24 to try to do some activities there.  I rode the bike for 10 minutes at a much lower RPM (50-54) than on fresher legs (62-69).  I stretched out my hip flexors and did 73 leg lifts (3 x 20 + 1 x 13).  That was all I could muster.

Good day.  I have 7 miles for the week.  Wondering whether to run 3 tomorrow or Friday.

Y'all have a good 4th.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:04 pm

I hope y'all have had a good 4th.

I rested today.  I was fine with either running or going to 24 (if it was open), but I let the body decide if it wanted to rest or go.  I slept 10 hours, so I guess rest was decided. 

I'm still working on the training schedule by looking at Hansons and McMillan's websites.  I've made up many in the past 15 years.  This will be my first (hopefully) marathon since 2016, subsequent years were scrubbed by injury.

Tomorrow, I'll run 3 or 4 miles and go to 24, as well.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:30 am

This morning, it was 3 miles.  I decided to bump the cadence from 162 to 164 because it'd be easier at the start of training, than later on.  Hence today's distance, instead of 4.  It was 80 degrees at dark 4:30. 

3 miles, 41:43, 13:53 pace, 162 avg spm, 0.71 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:54, 2nd half pace 13:52.
1.  14:04, 163 spm, 70 sl
2.  13:45, 163 spm, 72 sl
3.  13:50, 161 spm, 72 sl

The cadence for mile 3 seemed high, but I don't have any other data.  Bumping the cadence was the cause of the 3rd mile time and cadence.  That'll work itself out, as I run more.  I will stay at 164 for the duration. 

I really want to stay sub-14 for overall pace throughout the Summer.  It will be motivational and comforting for when Fall temps arrive in October or so.  Right now, my target marathon pace will be 13:00 or faster.  That gets me a 5:40.

Oddly enough, yesterday's run had about the same pace.
4 miles, 55:39, 13:54 pace, 161 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:55, 2nd half pace 13:53.

After the 3 miles, I dried off and went to 24 to do some upper body weights and leg lifts.

So for the week, 10 miles and 2 or 3 trips to 24.

Bring on the weekend!  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Hmm...guess I'm going to have to be cautious about skimming through your posts...you nearly had me with the "I woke up and the pain was gone so I ran 6 miles..."

Lots of info in your posts but I don't really have a lot to add.  We are each different and so our training should be different.  We just don't all fit into the same box.  I do think your fast run went extremely well and that you should do them during your training...just not all the time.  It took me a long time to learn that.  That said...I think slower runners can do their easy and long runs at closer to MP than faster runners.  And for the record...I qualify as a slower runner!

I think you're on the right track.  A plan always helps.  I also think that the work you're doing in the gym will really help.

Happy planning.  Happy training.  Happy weight lifting.  Happy belated 4th!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hmm...guess I'm going to have to be cautious about skimming through your posts...you nearly had me with the "I woke up and the pain was gone so I ran 6 miles..."

Lots of info in your posts but I don't really have a lot to add.  We are each different and so our training should be different.  We just don't all fit into the same box.  I do think your fast run went extremely well and that you should do them during your training...just not all the time.  It took me a long time to learn that.  That said...I think slower runners can do their easy and long runs at closer to MP than faster runners.  And for the record...I qualify as a slower runner!

I think you're on the right track.  A plan always helps.  I also think that the work you're doing in the gym will really help.

Happy planning.  Happy training.  Happy weight lifting.  Happy belated 4th!
I have a lot of baggage and old thoughts on running marathons.  So, when I do something I haven't done before, I begin to extrapolate.  What if....  Could I ????  I'll accept you being a slower runner, but you're fastest slower runner I know.

One old thought was, "when it's Summer, I slow down."  Now, Mark mentioned recently about running faster to be faster.  affraid , but could I?

-30-

This morning, it was 80 degrees and a sliiiiiiight west wind.  Monday is long run day, after 2 rest days known as the weekend.  I kept the cadence at 164 and trudged on.  4 miles is the target.  Last week I did 4, it was tough to mile 3.4, where I stopped, then re-started to finish the 4.  Not today.

4 miles, 54:31, 13:37 pace, 162 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:34, 2nd half pace 13:40
1.  13:53, 162 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:15, 164 spm, 74 sl
3.  13:32, 162 spm, 73 sl
4.  13:50, 160 spm, 73 sl

Evidently, Mark might actually know something (but I won't tell Alita silent ).

I am transitioning to the 164 cadence, so more exertion to maintain the 164 could be felt.  I didn't feel the vibration when I hit 2 miles.  Annnnnnd I'm pretty glad I didn't because the 1st half pace of 13:34 was good enough for me.  I really didn't think the split was 13:15.  Maybe because I was thinking to maintain the target cadence. 

The last half mile of the run was difficult with the cadence in the 150's.  But I was very spent and very happy with the overall 13:37.  Wow, not even a split in the 14's!  I wasn't expending as much as those two runs at 12:53 pace.  I was thinking long run.  Next time, I'll try to think conversational pace.  On the other hand, once I master that last half mile, it'll begin to be conversational.  How's THAT for flip flopping.

Last Wednesday's 4 mile run at 162:

Very happy, but Sweaty
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:05 pm

I traipsed over to the gym, this morning, to lift weights and stretch.  I added dead lifts to the lifting routine.  I estimated the bar weighed 45 pounds and added 30 pounds to the bar to total 75 pounds.  3 x 10 reps.

On stretching, I'm working on stretching my right knee by getting into pigeon pose.  For my left knee, I can rest on my elbows, which is the appropriate pose.  For my right knee, I rest on my hands with my arm fully straight.  I figure if I can slowly and painlessly stretch the right knee, then I'll be able to match the left.  I'm not in a hurry.

Tomorrow, I'll run 4 miles again in 80 degree darkness to further acclimate myself to the 164 cadence.

Now, that I'm trying to be consistent on lifting, I'm enjoying it more and looking at how some people use different machines and if I'm curious on trying it.  I'm looking to continue lifting past my running career in order to strengthen the frame and core, but not so much that I'll be on "American Ninja Warrior - Old Farts Battle."

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 am

Setback.

Yesterday, I went out to run 4, but stopped after 1 mile.  It would seem the stretching of the right knee in a best-I-could-do pigeon pose caused a relapse.  It was a 'whaaaaaa?' moment because there were zero signs at all that I had screwed something up the day before.

So, I'm back on the DL.

The damage didn't set me back to square 1, rather one or two weeks of the five weeks into recovery.  Yesterday, walking a lot made it whine a lot.  Not sure how long I'll be unable to run, but I'll continue to go to the gym.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:17 pm

ounce wrote:Setback.

Yesterday, I went out to run 4, but stopped after 1 mile.  It would seem the stretching of the right knee in a best-I-could-do pigeon pose caused a relapse.  It was a 'whaaaaaa?' moment because there were zero signs at all that I had screwed something up the day before.

So, I'm back on the DL.

The damage didn't set me back to square 1, rather one or two weeks of the five weeks into recovery.  Yesterday, walking a lot made it whine a lot.  Not sure how long I'll be unable to run, but I'll continue to go to the gym.
Oh...that's not good!  I was excited to read that you were starting to enjoy strength training and looking forward to making it a routine part of life and then this. Crying or Very sad

Hope it doesn't put you on the sidelines for to long!  And glad you're able to continue working at the gym.

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:03 pm

nkrichards wrote:

So, I'm back on the DL.

Oh...that's not good!  I was excited to read that you were starting to enjoy strength training and looking forward to making it a routine part of life and then this. Crying or Very sad

Hope it doesn't put you on the sidelines for to long!  And glad you're able to continue working at the gym.

Take care...
Thanks, Nancy!

Yes, the lifting is a long-term thing until I bite the dust.  I would like to be able to run or walk as long as I can get an official result on a race.  But the weights will be responsible for keeping me upright.

-30-

So, I went to the gym, today.  The idea today was to assess the running pain-free or not, then how bad?  I loosened up on the bike, then weights, squats, and leg lifts.  THEN to the treadmill.  I warmed up for a quarter mile at a 20 minute pace.  At this point, no knee pain whatsoever.  I sped up the pace to 15 minutes and did that for fifteen-hundreths.  No pain.  Zero.  I stopped at that point because I was confused as to why it wasn't hurting.  For the pain it caused on Wednesday, it should've hurt, today.

It hasn't hurt since Friday, just doing pedestrian stuff.  I'd like a little more clarity, before heading out again.  

Maybe everything is cool, as long as I don't do pigeon pose.  I can accept that sacrifice.  Guess I'll go run, tomorrow, and see what happens.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

So, I'm back on the DL.

Take care...
Thanks, Nancy!

Yes, the lifting is a long-term thing until I bite the dust.  I would like to be able to run or walk as long as I can get an official result on a race.  But the weights will be responsible for keeping me upright.

-30-

So, I went to the gym, today.  The idea today was to assess the running pain-free or not, then how bad?  I loosened up on the bike, then weights, squats, and leg lifts.  THEN to the treadmill.  I warmed up for a quarter mile at a 20 minute pace.  At this point, no knee pain whatsoever.  I sped up the pace to 15 minutes and did that for fifteen-hundreths.  No pain.  Zero.  I stopped at that point because I was confused as to why it wasn't hurting.  For the pain it caused on Wednesday, it should've hurt, today.

It hasn't hurt since Friday, just doing pedestrian stuff.  I'd like a little more clarity, before heading out again.  

Maybe everything is cool, as long as I don't do pigeon pose.  I can accept that sacrifice.  Guess I'll go run, tomorrow, and see what happens.
Good luck on the run Doug.  Hope it's pain free.  Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Much obliged, Nancy.

It turned out that I was 99% pain-free for my 2.5 mile (but wanted 3) run.  Only 1 misfire regarding the knee, and that was at the 3/4 mile point.  My cadence was slowing a bunch at 2.4 miles, so I decided to shut it down and not get hurt.  My lack of running for a week caused my stamina to go from 4 to 2.5.  Boy, I sure hope I don't get hurt anymore.

I went at 164 cadence.  The temp was 81 degrees with a heat index of 87 degrees...at 4 a.m.  At 5 a.m. in Galveston, it was 85 degrees with a heat index of 99.

2.49 miles, 34:04, 13:42 pace, 163 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length.
1.  14:09, 163 spm, 70 sl
2.  13:21, 163 spm, 74 sl
3.  13:27 pace, 161 spm, 74 sl

I'll work on getting back up to 4 miles over the next 2 or 3 runs.

After cooling off in the lovely A/C, I went over to the gym to do lower body.  I also did leg lifts, hip flexor stretching and a lower back thing.

No pain from the knee.  Will work on running in the morning.  The train engine is back on the tracks. 

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Feeling a bit apprehensive about hurting again, I slept in.  Rest is important and I can vouch for that.

One thing that is interesting to me regarding the result of going to both the gym and running, particularly adding the weights to the equation.  My body temperature is higher, which is something I wondered and wanted to happen.  For the past 3 years, even when I ran, my body temp was between 96.6 and 97.4 degrees.  Now, I'm 97.7 to 98.0.  That also means I'm burning a few more calories all the time.

This will be a question on the next test!  Now, get outta here. Exclamation
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:00 pm

This morning, another attempt to finish 3 miles at a 164 cadence.  Both are key to the training process.  It was 80 degrees.  A cool front is supposed to come in, next week, dropping temps 6-8 degrees.  This will help to break the heat wave east of the Rockies to the Atlantic.

3 miles, 42:05, 14:01 pace, 159 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:47, 2nd half pace 14:15
1.  13:49, 163 spm, 71 sl
2.  13:47, 163 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:28, 152 spm, 73 sl

Cadence really cratered at 2.05 miles, as evidenced by the avg of 152 for the 3rd split, but I soldiered on and finished the 3 miles.  I think I'll run 2 miles in the morning, just to see how much the legs whine.

Afterwards, I went to the gym for upper body work and a little ab/adductor work.  I'll also go to the gym, tomorrow.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:02 pm

It was another 80 degree morning.  I'm acclimated to it, which is a good thing considering it'll go on to Labor Day or longer.

Running two miles (after finishing 3 yesterday) was to test a couple of things like, how ready are the legs, what pace would it be, and could I finish.  After finishing the two miles, I determined it wasn't really the right distance for those questions.  It wasn't long enough.  3 miles would've been a better test.

Cadence was 164.

2 miles, 27:00, 13:29 pace, 162 avg cadence, 0.74 m avg stride length.
1.  13:31, 163 spm, 73 sl
2.  13:29, 161 spm, 74 sl

Cadence slipped some at 1.9 miles, but managed to keep going.  Knowing 2 miles was the goal, I quickened the pace.  The legs were in better shape than I thought they'd be.  The 13:30 pace was fine and there was less effort in breathing, as the breathing was closer to conversational than 5K.  That's a good thing.  No pain in the right knee, either!

Running on back to back days.  Hmmm.  Going to the gym afterwards on both days.  Hmmm.  You know, I have oft wondered if I could get back to doing 4 days running.  On the other hand, going to the gym 4-5 days a week could offset that 4th day of running and would be better for the body, as well.

7.49 miles for the week.  Going to target 9 miles for next week, then bump it up some as the body lets me.

y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:49 pm

With Apollo 11 being a focal point, this week, I'd like to write a little story about the video and audio from the moon.  Mission Control is at the Johnson Space Center. 

The video and audio from the moon was received on a 210 foot wide satellite dish in Australia.  Once NASA received the video and audio, they had arranged with Houston TV channel KPRC (NBC affiliate) to send to NBC, ABC, and CBS in New York via telephone lines (no commercial satellites, then), with the networks sending it to the affiliates via telephone lines and to the homes via the antennas.

So, that's how the world saw the walking on the moon and I remember it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:18 pm

I tweaked my approach for today's run because I wanted to go farther, even if the pace slows (which is a given).  I don't want to try to run catch up, as the weeks go by.  So, I ran closer to conversationally.  It should help the stamina.

It was 81 degrees, this morning.  No breeze, unless a few cars went by.  164 was the cadence for miles 1-3, then 162 for mile 4.

4 miles, 57:08, 14:16 pace, 159 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:00, 2nd half pace 14:32
1.  14:10, 163 spm, 70 sl
2.  13:50, 163 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:20, 158 spm, 71 sl
4.  14:47, 153 spm, 71 sl

Cadence started falling off at 2.5 miles, which is when it was last week.  But I finished 4 miles.  While it sickens me to see 14's, the long game feels fine.

But Texas is receiving a rarrrrre event.  A cold front.  It's pass through Dallas and on our way here, tonight.  Low temps are forecasted to be 68 on Wednesday and 70 on Thursday, with dew points in the 50's and highs of 88-90.  Then a gradual rise back to or above normal. At this point in July, Dallas average is 96 and 76.  We are 93 and 75, but we get extra points for humidity! 

Y'all come back and see me real soon!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next