365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Term Limits?

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 am

As I've said in the past...I'm not sure I'd run if I lived where it was as hot and humid as it is there.  And in the dark...nope...not me.  Good to hear that you got in a daylight run and cooler temps are on the way.  Very Happy

Pretty cool what you're doing with the WBC donation.  Marty and Kevin both try and donate blood on a regular basis.  Wish I was able to but they just can't get the blood to flow well enough to fill the bag.  After several tries they thanked me for my willingness and asked me not to bother them anymore.   Crying or Very sad  Hope you're a match and can help someone out.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks, Nancy.  Sorry your veins aren't up to doing whole blood.  

I wasn't up to running, this morning, but that just means that I'll run tomorrow morning.  Still 72-74 degrees, to boot.  One of these days, I hope to get back to running every other day.  Persevering and base building, hopefully, will work.  I do desire to run 2 more Houston marathons.

On WBC, I found out this afternoon that I have been successfully screened to donate.  It evidently isn't too high of a bar.  The lady on the phone said that the bar is much higher for stem cell grafting.  Patients that have a wide network of friends can probably get enough donors, after the screening and the absorption of being stationery for 3 hours.

Seemed like taking a medical history is a lot of the screening, plus the platelet donation for analysis, and that being diabetic could be a red or yellow flag because I was asked twice about it, yesterday.

Next step is for a coordinator to determine which patients don't have a pool of donors and to contact me to set up an appointment for me to get the drugs, then donate the following morning.

Thanks for your time.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 pm

This morning, it was 74 degrees with zero wind, unless a bus or 18 wheeler passed me.  Six miles was on tap and miracuously (almost shockingly) I plodded through it.  Cadence was 155

6 miles, 1:30:34, 15:06 pace, 150 avg spm, 0.71 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:36, 2nd half pace 15:36
1.  14:23, 156 spm, 72 sl
2.  14:26, 156 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:58, 149 spm, 72 sl
4.  15:23, 150 spm, 70 sl
5.  15:42, 145 spm, 71 sl
6.  15:42, 146 spm, 70 sl

Rolling Eyes
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm like Nancy and cannot donate blood - maybe too low a heart rate? But at any rate, the one time I did succeed in giving a whole pint, it took 3 hrs for me to fill the bag.  I've given up as I'm also borderline on the weight requirement anyway.

Good work on the 6 miles - just take it easy and you'll get back there.  I've got a good friend running Houston this winter, so I hope the weather cooperates.  Of course, like Houston, it is still very much summer here in Atlanta.  It was "cool" this morning at 66F but our humidity was close to 100%.  It will be close to 90F again today for the high and we have broken records the last three days in a row.  90s in October is not right.

Of course, there is no climate change or global warming - just ask DC.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm like Nancy and cannot donate blood - maybe too low a heart rate? But at any rate, the one time I did succeed in giving a whole pint, it took 3 hrs for me to fill the bag.  I've given up as I'm also borderline on the weight requirement anyway.

Good work on the 6 miles - just take it easy and you'll get back there.  I've got a good friend running Houston this winter, so I hope the weather cooperates.  Of course, like Houston, it is still very much summer here in Atlanta.  It was "cool" this morning at 66F but our humidity was close to 100%.  It will be close to 90F again today for the high and we have broken records the last three days in a row.  90s in October is not right.

Of course, there is no climate change or global warming - just ask DC.
I would bet it's your weight.  The more you weigh, the more fluid you have.  

90s in October is not right.  Because of hurricane Michael, we got our first Fall front with drier air and everything!  It was 63 this morning and it was only 78 degrees at 7 p.m., instead of 4 a.m.  Really felt nice. Next week, another front comes through to drop morning lows into the 50s.  We've got Fall!

It was ALSO because of that front that Michael deflected to Florida, instead of Louisiana or Texas.  That thing REALLY intensified quickly.  There was zero wind shear to topple it, nor restrict its exhausting warm air out of the top of the storm.  It was a free breathing cyclone.

-30-

I have 2 runs to report.  One on Tuesday for 5 miles and one today for 3 miles.

Tuesday was to be a 6 mile run, but the legs thought 5 were enough.  It was 76 degrees at near 100% humidity.  I continue to set a goal cadence of 155.  Last Thursday was 6 miles.

5 miles, 1:12:30, 14:29 avg pace, 151 avg cadence, 73 m avg stride length
1.  14:07, 155 spm, 73 sl
2.  13:58, 156 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:04, 152 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:47, 147 spm, 74 sl
5.  14:52, 148 spm, 72 sl

According to the cadence chart, my cadence started slipping at 2.77 miles.  The legs were right to make it 5.  I'm really surprised I didn't pass 15 minutes on a split.  So sad to see splits like this, but the cooler weather coming in the days ahead.  I'll just keep pluggin' away.

-30-

This morning, I welcomed 63 degrees with a slight north breeze!  Felt really nice.  Now, you may remember that I had been running every 3 days because the legs weren't agreeable to running every 2.  I was hoping the cooler temperatures would be a missing link to be able to run every 2 days, again.

It worked.  I ran 3 miles in 13 degree cooler weather.  The legs didn't seem to mind at all.  Never thought to run 4 miles, but in retrospect, I could've.

3 miles, 42:19, 14:06 pace, 155 avg cadence, 0.74 m avg stride length.
1.  14:20, 156 spm, 72 sl
2.  13:47, 155 spm, 75 sl
3.  13:57, 156 spm, 74 sl

Whew.  Now if I can just build on that with this here cooler weather, I might just be able to run 13 in January.  8 miles for the week.  I'll try to run on Saturday for 5 or 6 miles.  If not, then Sunday.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm

It was 71 degrees, this morning, with an occasional breeze.  I wanted to see if I could do 5 miles, only after running on Thursday.  Which would be an interesting and encouraging development because it hasn't happened, I think, since the Spring.  155 was the cadence.

7.42 miles, 1:50:13, 14:52 avg pace, 149 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length.

Tired, but very content I am.  I got to mile 3 which is about a third of a mile from the Memorial Park 3 mile loop and decided to carry on.  This distance is the 6.66 mile Devil's Loop plus the additional 0.70 miles as a result of where my new apt is (+/- 0.10 miles).

Really pleased with that run.

I will post the splits later, but I am about to head downtown to Minute Maid Park (nicknamed the 'Juice Box') for game 1 of the ALCS with Miche1e's last team in the hunt, the Red Sox.  The Juice Box is broadcasting the game on the big screen and about 20,000 people are anticipated to attend with a free coupon.  Should be fun.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Well, Fall is here in Houston!  Or maybe early winter.  Yesterday, we had a high of 91 degrees, officially.  Today, at midnight it was 77 degrees before the frontal passage at 9 a.m. Today, at the same time of yesterday's high, it was 59 degrees, officially.  Down the street, it's 51 degrees right now.  Supposed to not break the 70's until Friday.  Seasonal is 83.

As far as running, I got out for 3 miles or so with a mile and a half in the rain.  The fact that I was able to run the 3 miles without any fatigue or feeling like it was a recovery run from 2 days prior (I had last ran on Saturday) was really encouraging.  3 runs after 2 days rest, each.  Mahvelous!

Now I have cool weather to enjoy, even though there's a decent chance of rain all week.

Garmin's servers are down, so I can't post the splits, nor the splits from Saturday's 7.42 mile run.  Not a problem.

Approval

Sweaty
No more of this for awhile.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Servers are back up!

I ran 3 whole times, last week, with a day's rest in between.  15.42 miles.  That's still surprising to me, even though it was the norm last year and prior.  So, I was going to see whether this week was a fluke or maybe I have really turned a corner.

This morning, it was 55 degrees with it-doesn't-matter-what-the-dew-point-is dew point and overcast.  Felt good.  It felt so nice.

I went over to Memorial Park to check out the revision to the 3 mile running loop.  You see, the 3 mile loop was really 2.93 miles running clockwise and 2.97 miles running counter-clockwise.  It wasn't a big deal as races were ran two or three times a year.  Park mgt is doing a big renovation of the whole 1,524 acres that will take a few years.  The first part was re-routing a bit of the trail and create a 'glade' to try to make it more back to its original condition before WWI when it was an Army camp, Camp Logan.  Last week it was opened and we now have a real 3 mile loop, measured down the middle.  

In the parking area for the glade, they're charging for parking where the fee is being used only for the maintenance on the park.  The rate is $1 for 3 hours.  So much for your update.

I wanted to run 4 miles.  I parked in a different area that allowed an extra four-tenths to the tally.  I started out and things were going fine.  The pace was even in the 13's!  I didn't feel like I was doing 13's.  THAT'S was 20 degrees cooler will do for me.  Cadence was 156.  I bumped it 1 step.

4 miles, 53:22, 13:20 pace, 156 avg cadence, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 13:22, 2nd half pace 13:18.
1.  13:22, 155 spm, 78 sl
2.  13:22, 157 spm, 77 sl
3.  13:42, 156 spm, 75 sl
4.  12:56, 157 spm, 79 sl

That was a dandy of a run!  It was the 3 mile loop, 3 laps of a 440 yard track (yes, 440 yard), and 2 tenths from parking away.  On the 2nd and 3rd lap of the track, I was bleeding some time in the 3rd mile.  I seemed to be doing okay, overall.  So, I started speeding up and posted the 13:42, down from 13:55 during the mile and 13:30 for overall pace at mile 3.

I maintained the faster pace and even kicked up the cadence to 157 because my feet were already doing it.  The last 1/4 mile of the run, the mile pace was 13:02.  Seemed possible to finish the 4th mile with a sub-13 split.  12:56.

I wasn't straining to do even the last mile.  The quads were starting to protest a bit in the last 100 yards, but that was it.  In the first mile, my left shin on the lateral side was whining, but stopped by the end of it.

3 miles in some rain on Monday and 4 miles, today.  I believe I'm turning the corner.  On Friday, I'll need to run long.  Last week, it was 7.42 miles.  I'll ponder doing that distance or maybe 8.  Ought to still be in the 50's.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Nice week last week and impressive run this morning.  Looking good!

I'm sure the cooler weather is helping but there has to be some positive adaptation going on in addition.   cheers
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:12 am

@nkrichards wrote:Nice week last week and impressive run this morning.  Looking good!

I'm sure the cooler weather is helping but there has to be some positive adaptation going on in addition.   cheers
This writer would've hoped for a quicker positive adaption.  Still more steps forward than backward is always welcome.

-30-

This morning, it was 62 degrees with a light ESE breeze and a dew point of 62.  This week, Houston has broken records for 2 days with the coolest high temperature.  One was set back in 1919.  A warming trend is around with yesterday's high around 74, which is still 8 degrees below average.  A southeasterly flow is back, but that breeze still has the cooler air attached, so the run was pleasant.

As mentioned in the last post, I was targeting 8 miles.  Shin splints are resolved, but I was starting to feel a little tired after a mile.  I hadn't slept long, last night, and am yawning as I type this.  The legs were as agreeable as a trained hound dog compliantly running alongside her owner.

I dropped the cadence from 156 to 155 because of the distance.  I was executing the run as a LSD, so I felt the cadence reduction was appropriate.

8 miles, 1:52:56, 14:07 pace, 156 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:14, 2nd half pace 14:00.
1.  14:20, 156 spm, 72 sl
2.  14:06, 156 spm, 73 sl
3.  14:11, 156 spm, 73 sl
4.  14:18, 156 spm, 72 sl
5.  14:00, 154 spm, 74 sl
6.  14:24, 155 spm, 72 sl
7.  13:55, 156 spm, 76 sl
8.  13:39, 156 spm, 76 sl

Last week's runs were an oddity in running 3 times on alternate days for 15.42 miles (3, 5, and 7.42).

This week's runs, coupled with last week's, constitutes a trend.  3, 4, and 8 miles or 15 total for this week.  For what was endured over the Summer with 3 days between runs, this is really a nice turn of events.

Between miles 1 and 3, I was asking, "Keep going?"  At mile 3, I just said, "It's only a mile to the turnaround, let's do it," while discarding the thought, "Yeah, but you have to run 4 back."  I really wanted to see what would happen going 8.  It would prove that last week's runs were not flukes.

Not only were they not flukes, but I negative split the homebound 4.  That's another validation of a trend.  

Seems like I can come up with a training plan for January's half marathon having a legitimate base in progress.  I am hoping the plan will go past 13 miles for a long run, within the weeks remaining between now and then.

I do have a niggle to report.  Right knee, ante-medial (meaning at the point where the inside (medial) meets the front (anterior) of the knee.  The corner, if there was a straight edge.  I get a short pain on stepping, as the miles go on.  This niggle usually means the shoes are needing replacement.  I was able to correct it by rotating my leg to the left a few degrees.

My left foot points straight ahead noon, but my right foot is splayed to the right to about 1 o'clock.  Born with it.  I was even hobbled as a baby to try to fix it with a metal plate attached between my baby shoes.  Rotating the leg took care of the pain.  I'll see if that has long term value.

So boys and girls, it seems things are back on track.  Y'all have a good weekend.  The Astros lost to Miche1e's Red Sox, so they get to rest up to see if they're going to play Nick's Brewers or the Dodgers in the World Series.  The Dodgers have a 3 games to 2 lead and can clinch it tonight in Milwaukee.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 pm

You've logged some nice miles in the last two weeks...congrats!  Forward motion is always good and will lead to the adaptation you're hoping for even if it isn't as fast as you'd like.

We've been busy and haven't followed baseball at all this year.  We lost interest when Jacoby Ellsbury left Boston.  He's a local boy and we don't have very many locals that are as famous as he was.  We kind of claim Ashton Eaton as well.  He's from Central Oregon...attended high school in Bend just 45 miles south.  I obviously didn't know either one of them well but it seems they are both good people in addition to being good athletes so we're still proud to claim them as locals.

Happy running...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Go Sox!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:04 pm

This week has been an interesting series of events.  I sustained two minor injuries on different days related to a bathtub.  The first one on Sunday caused some lower back muscle strain related to the person I was helping then slipping in the tub and my trying to limit the damage to her.  The result was no damage to her and by virtue of me locking up my muscles to limit the damage, the lower back strain.  I have figured out a remedy by placing one of those Rubbermaid tub liners in it.

That kept me from running until Thursday.

Thursday, my foot slipped after a shower and I fell backwards through the shower curtain and on my fanny.  They just don't make shower curtains like they 'used to' to keep you upright. Rolling Eyes  My minor injury was where my hip struck the side of the toilet, but that has since resolved.  No bruising.

Thursday, I did manage to run 2 miles before I fell.  It was around 65 degrees and it felt labored.  Possibly due to the remnants of Sunday's strain, but the strain stopped hurting on Wednesday.  I ran the 2 miles with the idea to run long on Saturday morning.  Run 'long' was less than 10.  I'll just have to take it 1 mile at a time.

Also on Thursday, I received a call from MD Anderson if I wanted to donate some white blood cells Friday, Saturday or next week.  Well, no time like the present.  Thursday afternoon, I went down there to get a final check, some blood drawn to determine my platelet and WBC count, and to receive the pill as a steroid and syringe to jack up my WBC production to be taken and injected at 8 p.m., Thursday night.  Did that.

274 was my platelet count on Tuesday's donation not to MD Anderson.
216 was my platelet count on Thursday for Friday's WBC donation.  [Friday, the doc said that running (maybe activity in general) tends to destroy platelets].
7.6 was my Thursday WBC count.

This morning was the same screen as yesterday.
263 was my platelet count 18 hours later.
31.2 was my WBC count 18 hours later.  They were hoping for something at least 21, but have seen as much as 60.

I only had to beat a platelet count of 150.

My biggest concern was not flubbing the WBC donation by having to pee.  So, I invoked pre-marathon race water tactics and ended up doing wonderfully.  It took about 2-1/2 hours, only 40 minutes longer than Tuesday's platelet donation.

The receiving patient is someone from out of town that doesn't have any friends in town and will be receiving my WBC, this afternoon.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Just as an aside to yesterday's WBC donation.  It's a two stick process.  1 needle in each arm and you can't move.  1 for drawing and the other for returning.  Ever had an itch to scratch and you couldn't scratch it?  Well, the itch goes away without scratching.  Shocking!

-30-

This morning it was 53 degrees.  Supposed to warm up to 82, because we have low humidity right now.  For us, low humidity is 50% and a dew point of 57.

Long run morning.  I haven't been able to do a legitimate long run for a long time.  I'd be content with 8, considering what's happened this week.  But 10 seems to be doable, if things are right.  I tweaked the cadence some as 155 for the first half and 156 for the second half.

10 miles, 2:22:06, 14:12 pace, 156 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:14, 2nd half pace 14:10.
1.  13:40, 156 spm, 76 sl
2.  13:50, 156 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:38, 156 spm, 70 sl
4.  14:40, 154 spm, 71 sl
5.  14:37, 156 spm, 71 sl
6.  14:05, 157 spm, 73 sl
7.  14:05, 157 spm, 73 sl
8.  14:21, 156 spm, 72 sl
9.  14:08, 157 spm, 73 sl
10.14:00, 156 spm, 74 sl

The bumping up of the cadence to 156 seemed to be accepted by the legs because the recorded cadence for the second half had 3 157's splits! Cool  The run generally went well, even though the times were not good.  I was looking for more 13's, but completing 10 with a negative split on the return 5 ain't hay.

I was wobbly during the last half mile, so I figure I've reached my peak mileage for a long run.  And that's okay.  

I'll be taking a nap, after I wash the car.  I can't tell if yesterday's donation affected today's run.  The doc said to rest for 2-3 days.  That's an eternity for a runner! affraid

Thanks for sticking around.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Nice run!  Glad to hear that you listened to the doctor! Razz  I'm impressed with your willingness to donate.  I'm not able to donate blood but think it's a noble thing to do!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:16 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Nice run!  Glad to hear that you listened to the doctor! Razz  I'm impressed with your willingness to donate.  I'm not able to donate blood but think it's a noble thing to do!

I agree with Nancy!  I'm sure that rest is best and needed after donating.  Can't donate myself, and the one time I did wrecked me for a week.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:Nice run!  Glad to hear that you listened to the doctor! Razz  I'm impressed with your willingness to donate.  I'm not able to donate blood but think it's a noble thing to do!

I agree with Nancy!  I'm sure that rest is best and needed after donating.  Can't donate myself, and the one time I did wrecked me for a week.
Thanks, y'all.  But doctors are notoriously cautious.  Then they can't get blamed for anything.  

So, I can report that, yes, rest would be best for giving whole blood or red blood cells.  But certainly not plasma (just drink fluids afterward), platelets, and probably not WBC.  Sincerely, I don't think I could've ran 10 the next day, if it was going to affect me.

-30-

This morning, it was 62 degrees with a south breeze that was a little cool.  I meant to run 4 or 5 miles, but I felt a bit tired.  I rolled over, but couldn't get back to sleep.  So, I got up and ran 3.  I just figured to give it a shot.  Things were a bit stiff, but loosened up.  I was hoping mile 3 was going to be no slower than the decent miles 1 & 2 splits.  Alas, it twern't to be.  I kept the 156 cadence, instead of 155.  I'd like to inch that back up to 160 or greater, over the next couple of quarters.

3 miles, 41:58, 13:59 pace, 156 avg spm, 0.74 m avg stride length
1.  14:00, 156 spm, 74 sl
2.  13:39, 157 spm, 75 sl
3.  14:17, 156 spm, 72 sl

Well, I did run this 3 on two days rest.  I couldn't have said that a month ago.  That's a plus.  Big plus, even though it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  

I was pleased the cadence was consistent, even on the graph for this run there was insignificant variances.

Another run notched.  Frequency is looking good.  I have no flippin' idea why the frequency increased.  I hope it wasn't the weather, rather just being persistent.  I'll take the weather!  Cool weather returns on Thursday!

Thanks much.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:09 pm

A run is a run.  Miles are miles.  Nice to hear you're getting out there more often!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 pm

It doesn't seem, sometimes, that miles are just miles.  But I'm getting into the groove and some freedom, now.  I don't feel like one foot is nailed down and running in circles, anymore.  The parking brake has been released.

-30-

And the cool weather has been great.  We had a legitimate cold front blow through on Halloween afternoon and night.  25 degree drop.  Wednesday morning - 74, Friday morning - 46.  Now we're going to be on a weekly pattern of cool or cold fronts, rather than like a surprise visit.  Still getting a couple of 80's, but it has to work up to it.  40's this weekend morning.

So last Friday I had the option of doing 8 or 10 miles.  It was going to be dictated by how the legs felt.  I was going to try to do a 156 cadence for the 1st half and 157 for the 2nd half.  It seemed to be fine, but a bit contrary to my losing stamina for the 2nd half.

8 miles, 1:52:17, 14:02 pace, 157 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:14, 2nd half pace 13:50
1.  14:00, 157 spm, 73 sl
2.  14:11, 157 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:21, 157 spm, 72 sl
4.  14:26, 157 spm, 71 sl
5.  13:56, 156 spm, 74 sl
6.  13:56, 157 spm, 74 sl
7.  14:00, 157 spm, 73 sl
8.  13:27, 158 spm, 76 sl

Going into the final half mile, the overall pace was 14:04 or so.  Peeling off 10 seconds of overall pace in the second half of the run was pretty incredible to me.  Now I was curious how much more I could peel off before the 8th mile split.  The pace was jumpy between 03 and 02.  So, I just made the concerted effort to do what I could and I finished at 14:02 with an astonishing 13:27 split.

The decision at mile 4 to do 10 or turnaround and do 8 was rather revealing to me.  I was ready to do 10, but just before I ended up turning around, I received a bit of a feeling on the upper lateral side of both thighs.  Yup, turnaround.

The legs enjoyed the run, especially the last half mile.  No niggles noted.

Tomorrow, I'll be heading west for a visit with the McDonald Observatory, 600 miles from Houston.  I have a curiosity to see the billions and billions of stars and the Observatory is the best place in the state for very low light pollution.  They have an 82" telescope, but it won't be open tomorrow night.  So, I'll be happy to be part of the Tuesday 'Star Party.'  I'll drive back to Houston on Wednesday.

The last time I drove out that far the speed limit was 80.  I think it's been upped to 85, in the past few years.

Y'all behave.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Nice run!  It's always nice to have a bit of gas left in the tank and finish fast. cheers

Hope you had a safe drive and enjoyed the stars.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:38 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Nice run!  It's always nice to have a bit of gas left in the tank and finish fast. cheers

Hope you had a safe drive and enjoyed the stars.
Yes, ma'am, it's good to have something left.

I had a good drive (no tickets), found a Mexican restaurant in a little west Texas town that was quite good, especially for a town with a population of 479 people.  Really yummy whose cheese enchilada tasted different (but good) than the Tex-Mex we have in Houston.  That town was my exit off of I-10 for Fort Davis (where the observatory is) at mile marker 209.  I started at mile marker 762.  After eating it was another 70 miles, but a really pretty 70 miles (for West Texas).  It took 9-1/2 hours to get there and 9 hours to get home.  The speed limit in West Texas tops out at 80.

I enjoy driving.

The Star Party was good.  The night was clear, the moon was gone, and all the stars came out to play, including the Milky Way.  That's what I really wanted to see.  I'm not into constellations and how to pick them out, so I couldn't tell you Andromeda is over there and Ursa Minor is over here.  The crowd got a bonus seeing a meteor shoot across the western sky as the guy was talking about Saturn.  They had about 6 regular, consumer type telescopes showing a few constellations and a couple of housed telescopes showing other constellations.  I was just happy to see the billions of stars, the Milky Way, and a couple of satellites.

I'd like to go back again and check some other scenery out in the Big Bend part of Texas, sometime.

I saw two moving stars that I figured were satellites, and they were.  I also saw two 'stars' above moving a bit in a funky circle.  I thought those were satellites in synchronous orbit, but couldn't confirm.  Probably was.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:52 am

Sounds like a very long drive but an enjoyable time.  

I don't have a lot of experience with all that star stuff but I've always been a bit interested.  I have a large house rented in Sunriver (resort about just over an hour from here) for our family holiday get together this year.  We're going to go over to Sandy and bring both our Mom's over to spend the weekend with all the kids and have our Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner.  They have an observatory in Sunriver and I'm looking into scheduling a visit.  I'm not sure the kids are old enough yet...the girls are but the boys are still young.  And also if it's cold the kids and the Grammas will both be uncomfortable. 

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:28 pm

It'll help if the skies are clear at night.  But in your neck of the woods, if it's clear, it's going to be c-c-c-cold.  Good luck!

As far as my drive, I stopped I think 3 times going, plus one for lunch, and the same for the return trip.  I was kinda surprised the 600 miles went so calmly.  I didn't see 1 cop on the trip to West Texas, which I figure was because they were probably pulled to accent security on Election Day.  Then 2 cops on the return.  That's pretty light, especially for people who think 80 isn't fast enough.

-30-

This morning ended up being my only run of the week.  Weather or the trip caused the lack of running, which might prove interesting on the execution of the long run.  It was 45 degrees with a 5 mile NNE wind, with gusts to 10-13.  I think it's the coldest run of the Fall, but we're supposed to be dropping to 32 on Wednesday morning.  This coming week's weather is typical January weather.  And to embrace variety, it was 89 degrees, this past Thursday.  A new record.  74 is average.

10 miles had been the long run longest, so far, and I managed to have a negative split.  Today, I wanted to reach out a little, if the legs would allow.  12 was the idea, even though I hadn't laced a string all week.  Cadence was to be 157.  Maybe 158 at some point.  I had done it before.

13 miles, 3:10:30, 14:39 pace, 155 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:12, 2nd half pace 15:06
1.  13:57, 157 spm, 73 sl
2.  14:24, 157 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:37, 156 spm, 70 sl
4.  14:37, 156 spm, 70 sl
5.  14:23, 157 spm, 71 sl
6.  14:02, 156 spm, 73 sl
7.  14:06, 157 spm, 72 sl
8.  14:06, 157 spm, 73 sl
9.  14:08, 157 spm, 72 sl
10.14:27, 156 spm, 71 sl
11.15:05, 152 spm, 69 sl
12.15:36, 148 spm, 69 sl
13.15:43, 148 spm, 68 sl

Well, 13 is certainly the upper range of my distance ability, right now.  The hip flexor on both hips were starting to whine at 10.  That was the leg's way of telling me to wrap it up.  While I disregarded their advice, I was not punished for going the extra 3 miles...other than the splits, of course.  As you can tell from those last 3 splits, I was dragging.  They felt like the last 3 miles in a marathon.  Even after the run, it felt like a I finished a marathon.  That death march.

But, I finished 13 miles!  Just because I'm running a Half in January doesn't mean I'm only going to run 13 miles in training.  I'll keep on, but slowly, tweaking up the mileage because I want to stay with the mileage throughout the Spring and Summer.  I hope that will keep me from experiencing again this past Summer.  I do have hopes of running two more Houstons, to get my 10th official finishes and Legacy status.

Hopefully, I can stay healthy and I thank my legs for not getting pissed about 13.

Thanks for your time.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:21 pm

It's January weather in Houston, this week.  Today, the big airport (IAH) recorded a 12 minute sleet and snow event.  A 'trace' in meteorological measurement.  It's the earliest recorded snow in Houston, breaking a record from 1979.

This morning, I ran 4 miles.  The first since Saturday's 13.  It was 36 degrees with a WNW wind of 8-12 mph.  I got all layered up and even put on the long tights.  For some reason (probably not fully recovered from the 13), I wasn't motoring along at a good, 4 mile pace.  More like miles 9 & 10.

Well, I guess I will hold off running again until Friday.  Kind of a pisser, but that's the way it goes.  If nothing else today, I renewed my memory on how 3 layers of shirts works in 36 degrees with no wind (a touch too warm & not exposed to the wind) and 36 degrees with the wind in my face (spot on).

Cadence was 157.

4 miles, 59:18, 14:37 pace, 156 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length
1.  14:38, 157 spm, 70 sl
2.  14:23, 157 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:40, 156 spm, 70 sl
4.  14:47, 153 spm, 71 sl

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:25 pm

@ounce wrote:It's January weather in Houston, this week.  Today, the big airport (IAH) recorded a 12 minute sleet and snow event.  A 'trace' in meteorological measurement.  It's the earliest recorded snow in Houston, breaking a record from 1979.

This morning, I ran 4 miles.  The first since Saturday's 13.  It was 36 degrees with a WNW wind of 8-12 mph.  I got all layered up and even put on the long tights.  For some reason (probably not fully recovered from the 13), I wasn't motoring along at a good, 4 mile pace.  More like miles 9 & 10.

Well, I guess I will hold off running again until Friday.  Kind of a pisser, but that's the way it goes.  If nothing else today, I renewed my memory on how 3 layers of shirts works in 36 degrees with no wind (a touch too warm & not exposed to the wind) and 36 degrees with the wind in my face (spot on).

Cadence was 157.

4 miles, 59:18, 14:37 pace, 156 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length
1.  14:38, 157 spm, 70 sl
2.  14:23, 157 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:40, 156 spm, 70 sl
4.  14:47, 153 spm, 71 sl

Thanks for stopping by.
I'm guessing that's COLD for Houston!  We've had several mornings in the teens.  We need some moisture!

That looks like a perfectly executed recovery run to me.   cheers  I know that I sometimes forget that recovery runs are just as important as long/faster runs.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next