365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Term Limits?

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: Term Limits?

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Well, that forecast doesn't look too bad. Crossing my fingers for lower humidity.
BOY, 39 degrees with a 10 mph NW wind is COLD!  And that's in street clothes, too!  Jiminy Cricket!

Yes, Doug. That's why people who live in more northern latitudes have these things called "coats."

That said, I'm impressed with the temperature swings you folks get in the other part of the country. We're having a bit of a cooler snap ourselves, with a bit of frost, but it's so dry that there's absolutely no chance of snow. (Our cold and dry is, unfortunately, caused by the same conditions that are creating the horrific Santa Ana winds and insanely low -- single digit -- humidities in Southern California. Hence the fires.)

I think you'll be great for your race. As long as you've got the right gear -- which means layers -- you'll be great. Don't trust the dry cleaner bags too much, though. They don't breathe. If you're not very careful, you'll end up soaked with sweat and chilled from the inside out. Better to have a couple of wicking layers to keep your temperature stable without getting damp and clammy.  
'Coat?'  Like paint?  Never thought trying to stay warm by applying a coat of paint. scratch   We ascribe literally to the "Three Dog Night" method of keeping warm.

Thanks for the 'clammy' thing.  I remember getting clammy when I wore the bag for the 30K race, two years ago.  I poke some holes in it and that worked well.  I can't imagine how a trash bag sweats you more.

Wind is going to be a small issue, as in 10-15 mph from WNW.  Still pondering proper layer combination for the first loop.  It won't be dark out there at 7:30.  The clouds are to clear out, this afternoon.  However, it doesn't seem accurate that it'll drop to 32 overnight with a 10 mph wind, as the wind doesn't allow for radiational cooling.

I read what causes the Santa Ana winds for SoCal, but what's y'alls excuse?

@Mark B wrote:Whoa! Snow!!

I hope you went out and frolicked in it.

I see from the Houston Chronicle that it stuck in some areas. Did you get any accumulation?
Yeah!  First snow in 8 years and 2nd earliest snow in history (Dec 4, 2009).  Officially at IAH, 0.7".  The high, flyover connector freeway ramps accumulated some ice because top and bottom of the ramps are exposed.  College Station (80 miles NW & where the FSU coach now works) got 5".  I saw on the news the snow stretches 2,000 miles from northern Mexico to the northeast part of the country.  The snow started in El Paso and eventually covered the southern half of Texas.

I did not frolic.  I'm trying to stay in one piece and avoid slipperages.

So Houston hosted the Super Bowl, survived a hurricane, won the World Series, and played in the snow.  Not a bad year's work.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:14 pm

I see from the Houston Chronicle that it stuck in some areas. Did you get any accumulation?

What!  Snow!

I obviously have not had the opportunity to see much news for a few weeks.

Good luck tomorrow Doug.  Conditions sound good and you sound prepared both mentally and physically.  Have fun...after all that's the reason we do this right?
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:16 pm

@nkrichards wrote:

What!  Snow!

I obviously have not had the opportunity to see much news for a few weeks.

Good luck tomorrow Doug.  Conditions sound good and you sound prepared both mentally and physically.  Have fun...after all that's the reason we do this right?
Thank you, ma'am.  I want to do well because it's a dress rehearsal and Houston is 5 weeks away.  Conditions are going to be fine, except that I haven't ran in 30 degree weather in a year.

-30-

This afternoon, I drove down to Brazos Bend for the pre-race meeting at 4 p.m.  I wore a hoodie that is certainly not rated for 40 degree weather, I found out.  There was a light breeze of about 5-7 mph.  I was working on ways to stay warm, just standing there while the RD spoke.  It also felt dry, but after returning, I found out it was about 70% humidity.  Wow.  The skies had cleared.

I figure the temp at sunrise will be around 28 or so.  My race starts an hour later at 7:30.  I'm not so concerned about the temp as I am about the wind.  It shouldn't be more than 10 mph.  At the halfway point, I hope to shed a layer.  Well, I will shed a layer.  I'll use a short sleeve shirt and have my dry cleaner bag tucked in the back of my shorts for the 2nd loop.

The course is said to be in good shape.  It shouldn't be sloppy as only 1.5" fell over 3 days.  The Park Ranger said that depending on which trail you mention, the water from the Brazos River, because of Harvey, caused heights of 3' to 12' above the trail height.

If I can run 20 miles at a pace indicative of under 6 hours finish at Houston, I'll be pleased.  That's the minimum level of contentment.  Each loop is 13.8 miles, so it'll end up being 27.6 miles.  No extra charge.  So maybe 1:45 CT could be the earliest finishing time of day.

Here's the link to the race and my bib number is 515.
http://ultrasignup.com/live/live.htm?dtid=24405&utm_source=Brazos+Bend+100&utm_campaign=c909ad9776-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_12_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f34357a61a-c909ad9776-421433553&mc_cid=c909ad9776&mc_eid=3b8e8fe25c#search
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 am

I slept pretty well.  I had 3 alarms set up to wake me up at 3:20, 3:24, and 3:36.  At 3:24, the sultry sounds of "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger awakened me from my slumber, where my beeping alarm did not.

It's 30 degrees with a 30 degree dew point, down the street, and 28 degrees at an airport about 7 or so miles from the Park at 28 dew point.  No breezes, so radiational cooling is in full effect, but with the 100% humidity in both locations, temps will only decrease as the dew point does.  So maybe 1 maybe 2 degree max decline before the sun peeks through.

Really good conditions.  Light winds and full sun expected with a high of 58.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:16 pm

I DNF'd after 6 miles.  I was getting tired quickly and at the point of going to the far point of the course, when I stopped. 

I'm very disappointed, but I'm thinking about running long in the morning or Monday morning.  I have a theory my trail shoes are worn out, even with not many miles on them.  But they're 3-1/2 years old.  So, if I can run 18-20 miles, then it's the trail shoes.

The saga continues.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Sorry things didn't go as planned.  I know how disappointing it can be when you think you're ready and things just don't turn out well.  We've all been there...recently.

Hope you're able to put this in the past where it belongs and continue your preparation for Houston in January.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:31 am

Dang. Sorry, Doug. But better to cash it in early than slog through a suffer-fest all day long. There will be other races.

If you hadn't worn the trail shoes lately, they may deserve some of the blame. Time for a Christmas present for yourself. santa

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Sorry things didn't go as planned.  I know how disappointing it can be when you think you're ready and things just don't turn out well.  We've all been there...recently.

Hope you're able to put this in the past where it belongs and continue your preparation for Houston in January.

@Mark B wrote:Dang. Sorry, Doug. But better to cash it in early than slog through a suffer-fest all day long. There will be other races.

If you hadn't worn the trail shoes lately, they may deserve some of the blame. Time for a Christmas present for yourself. santa

Thanks, y'all.  As an aside, I did have the proper clothing layers for the race start at 35 degrees and no breeze, so that's a plus.

-30-

This week has been a slide into the result of pulling out of Houston.  I'll have to return all of that endorsement money!

The muscle under the posterior, lateral biceps femoral tendon was whining during the run, which is atypical as that only happened post-run.  It turns out that's the weak spot in the muscle for when I was raising my leg a bit to get my leg comfortable running on trails. 

It was SO stiff on Sunday morning.  I couldn't extend it straight, when getting out of bed.  It loosened up, but had a focal point of discomfort.  I ran 2 or 3 miles on Tuesday.  This morning, it felt fine getting ready to run.  I started off and immediately it was whining.  Shortly thereafter, my stride felt like I had a flat tire at 20 mph.  I stopped.

That's why I pulled.  I could still run and walk the Half, if I want to.

Well, now I can start to go about doing cross-training, instead of the weeks after the marathon.  Also, I can work on weight loss, too. 

But I'm only going to train for 1 race at a time or maybe more specifically, I'm going to train one way at a time.  It was difficult transitioning from run 1/walk 1 for the 100K to traditional marathon training.  And, I had a shorter training period.  And, I tried to run a race on a surface for which I'm not conditioned.  And, I haven't been completely faithful to LC/HF, which I think was a contributing factor to running out of energy, because under LC/HF when done like I used to execute, you never run out of energy.  Never.

The cross-training will involve anything I can think of to work different muscles, doing different things.  Weights, yoga, riding a bike, dribbling a soccer ball, shoot some hoops, and other stuff I haven't done since high school.  LC/HF, too.  And running, after I heal.  Anything that's cheap and effective.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Sounds like you've got a good plan. All you need to do is execute it!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

Changing directions is hard...and frustrating...but I think you've made a good decision.  I've had really good success with cross training when I'm stuck and not making progress meeting my running goals.  Hope it works well for you.  After all this is really all about fitness, a healthy lifestyle, and enjoying what we do...  I'm learning that running may not fit in there like it used to.

Good luck and keep us posted!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 am

Well, it's all to strengthen up the different muscles in the body and have some fun doing it.  Mark is the crown prince of PT exercises, but I have a little hangup with doing that on a consistent basis.  CrossFit would actually be fine, except I can't afford the cost.  So consistently doing weights and then doing other stuff, including running, I'm thinking the variety will do positive things to the frame.

I could pay $20 to transfer from the full marathon to the half.  I'm going to walk my 9 mile loop in the morning to see if I can extrapolate a less than 4 hour 13.1 mile event.  It could give me a 2nd official half finish at Houston.  My first was in 2004.  8 more halves and 2 more fulls and I'll be a double legacy runner at age 71.  Ooh, boy.

Being lighter is a must, while having a good muscle inventory.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Well, that didn't go well.  After mile 2, something sprung and caused some temporary pain.  I was running about a tenth of a mile when it happened.  I limped for a bit, but that lessened to just "I'm here to disrupt your day."  I managed to do 7 miles.

Afterwards, I iced the back of the knee and used the TENS.  That booger will be stiff in the morning.  Sitting for a few minutes causes it to stiffen some, even though no swelling is apparent.  Coming off a curb and landing on my right foot causes almost a collapse.  Stepping off a curb and leaning on a car to help causes no pain.

I'll figure out by the 28th whether I can walk the Half or not.

Y'all have a rootin' tootin' Merry Christmas.  Even though it'll be 80 today, Christmas Day is to be 34 degrees and a high of 60...a touch below normal.  Much better than the 80 and 83 of the last 2 years.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Yup. That sure sounds like an angry body part.

You could try to calculate your stride to make sure you only step down from curbs with your left foot, but that can get a little complicated. Get after those PT exercises! Making those glutes stronger will help support the whole system and allow you to use your whole body as the shock absorber, not just the knee.

I hear you on having a rough time sticking with exercises, though. I've been on vacation this week and haven't done them once! I need to do them, though, because I can tell the difference.

Happy HoHo Day to you! santa rendeer

It's gray and chilly here, and folks are hoping we may see some snow, but I'm doubtful.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:02 pm

I think we could all use more PT work but there is only so much time and motivation in this world...

Hope you're well on the way to healing and can enjoy a Christmas Day run/walk.

Merry Christmas.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Last Friday evening, I remembered that I had a elastic knee brace from last year.  I slipped that puppy on and my knee obtained a near normal stability and calmed its owner's concern of a knee failure.

This morning, it was 37 degrees with very little wind.  My plan was to walk the 8.79 miles that I wanted to do last Friday.  I am in no hurry to run.  This was purely to asses whether I could walk the Half and pay the $20 to transfer to the Half by Wednesday.

I wore a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, Buff, kinda light gloves, blue jeans (yes, blue jeans), and my retired Kinvara 7's that are my go-to knock around shoes.

Everything went mostly well, although I developed a blister on the inside 2nd toe on the right foot.  Well enough to know that I'm within spittin' distance of paying the $20.  I'll be wearing the injinjis on future walks.

The biggest hiccup is the race itself and its opening time to traffic.  The full and half share the first 8-9 miles, as noted in italics below:

...the half marathon course will open on a rolling schedule based on a 13:45 per mile pace for the first 8-9 miles. The remaining miles must be completed within the final 2 hours of the time limit.

So, I will be walking the sidewalks for the first 8-9 miles because my overall pace, today, was 17:35/mile.  4 hour pace equates to 18:20/mile.  I have 3 weeks to maybe run juuuuuust a bit and to get the overall pace down some.  I'm sure there will be others along with me.  I'll probably make many one time friends.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:27 pm

@ounce wrote:Last Friday evening, I remembered that I had a elastic knee brace from last year.  I slipped that puppy on and my knee obtained a near normal stability and calmed its owner's concern of a knee failure.

This morning, it was 37 degrees with very little wind.  My plan was to walk the 8.79 miles that I wanted to do last Friday.  I am in no hurry to run.  This was purely to asses whether I could walk the Half and pay the $20 to transfer to the Half by Wednesday.

I wore a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, Buff, kinda light gloves, blue jeans (yes, blue jeans), and my retired Kinvara 7's that are my go-to knock around shoes.

Everything went mostly well, although I developed a blister on the inside 2nd toe on the right foot.  Well enough to know that I'm within spittin' distance of paying the $20.  I'll be wearing the injinjis on future walks.

The biggest hiccup is the race itself and its opening time to traffic.  The full and half share the first 8-9 miles, as noted in italics below:

...the half marathon course will open on a rolling schedule based on a 13:45 per mile pace for the first 8-9 miles. The remaining miles must be completed within the final 2 hours of the time limit.

So, I will be walking the sidewalks for the first 8-9 miles because my overall pace, today, was 17:35/mile.  4 hour pace equates to 18:20/mile.  I have 3 weeks to maybe run juuuuuust a bit and to get the overall pace down some.  I'm sure there will be others along with me.  I'll probably make many one time friends.

These decisions are tough!  Sounds like you're considering your options objectively...

I'm signed up for Dr. Beckerman's Heartbreaker Half on Feb. 11th.  So do I run/walk the half, run it slowly, or drop back to the 5K or 10K?  To early to make that decision but it's a decision that I need to make.

Stay warm...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:42 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:Last Friday evening, I remembered that I had a elastic knee brace from last year.  I slipped that puppy on and my knee obtained a near normal stability and calmed its owner's concern of a knee failure.

These decisions are tough!  Sounds like you're considering your options objectively...

I'm signed up for Dr. Beckerman's Heartbreaker Half on Feb. 11th.  So do I run/walk the half, run it slowly, or drop back to the 5K or 10K?  To early to make that decision but it's a decision that I need to make.

Stay warm...
I have switched to the Half, officially, for $40 (not $20).  I talked with a back of the pack buddy of mine, who now does the Half, about how strict they are about the 13:45 pace and if they DNF you during the first 8 miles for being too slow.  He told me that he does a 15 minute pace and they haven't said a word to him.  So, I'll give it a whirl.

Nancy, since you're signed up, you'll figure it out soon.  Freeze Your Fanny 5K will help with that.

-30-

This morning, it was 40 or so degrees when I went out.  But there was a persistent breeze and a mist to steady drizzle attached to the temp.  I pretty much wore the same clothes, except shorts instead of jeans and injinjis plus another pair of socks.  I wore the brace.

Because it had been drizzling since Monday afternoon, the crushed granite trail at Memorial Park was packed better, therefore I was getting better traction than on Monday.  I think that helped my legs thereby my pace, today.

I walked the same route, as Monday.  The overall pace dropped from 17:35 to 17:08.  Woohoo!  The knees were not aching at all.  Finally, some progress. 

It's going to be cold here, the next two weeks, with high temps not approaching the seasonal 65.  Some highs will be in the 40s!  We have winter for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am

Glad the cooler conditions are coinciding with an improvement in your condition.

Enjoy your winter! Let's hope the arctic bubble doesn't drift too far your direction. Does it ever go sub-zero in Houston? Brr.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:00 pm

@Mark B wrote:Glad the cooler conditions are coinciding with an improvement in your condition.

Enjoy your winter! Let's hope the arctic bubble doesn't drift too far your direction. Does it ever go sub-zero in Houston? Brr.
5 degrees in 1940 is the record low.  In 1983, it got down to 9 and in '89 it was 7.

The coldest expected low on the arctic air arriving on NYE is 25 on Tuesday morning.  No high temps below 32 are expected.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:45 am

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Glad the cooler conditions are coinciding with an improvement in your condition.

5 degrees in 1940 is the record low.  In 1983, it got down to 9 and in '89 it was 7.

The coldest expected low on the arctic air arriving on NYE is 25 on Tuesday morning.  No high temps below 32 are expected.

That's not too horrible, provided your homes have a modicum of insulation in them.

Meanwhile, I just got done with a run in 53° weather at 6 a.m. After weeks of chilly weather, it felt like Miami.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:

That's not too horrible, provided your homes have a modicum of insulation in them.

Meanwhile, I just got done with a run in 53° weather at 6 a.m. After weeks of chilly weather, it felt like Miami.
Pineapple express blew in last night.  The snow is gone.  50 degrees.  Just in time for the Freeze your Fanny tomorrow morning.  It will be a comfortable run/walk in the 40's followed by a warm swim and then chili and cornbread.

We may be warmer than you Doug! Stay safe.

Kevin's family is in Minneapolis heading for Chicago today...brrr.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Yeah, it's pretty durn cold down here.  One of the TV stations had a slide showing at noon CT it was 31 here and 47 in Anchorage.  It's been 31 at my WeatherBug site down the street since mid-morning.  Right now, there's to be an 'opportunity' for some wintry mischief to come here in the over night period.  Since we don't get much opportunity for said mischief, the weather folks can't accurately forecast more than 12 hours ahead of time.  Rain, wind, heat, and other things aren't as hard to forecast for them.

We should end up with 5 mornings below 32, a couple of hard freeze warnings, a wind chill advisory (a first for SE Texas), and 70 degrees by Sunday!  We had some ice on some of the big overpasses, last night.

Regarding walking, I developed a bruise on the ball of my left foot, on the front part, close to the 3rd toe.  So, I've been chillin' on walking.  Makes me wonder if my retired, but still young, Kinvara 7's may be too used for the Half.  So, I broke out a new pair of Peregrine 4's (trail version of Kinvara 4) and they did okay...as in, it didn't make the problem worse.
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Take care of that bruise.  A new pair of shoes sounds like a good plan.

And be careful on the ice and stay warm!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 am

A bruise, eh? Do you remember hitting it on something other than the ground?

Switching shoes sounds like a good idea, though. Stay warm! Never thought I'd have to tell you that...

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:48 pm

No, really I think it was overuse of doing 9 miles on a Monday and Wednesday, plus the shoes were one of two pair I was using for the 100K training.  I found the walking part of the 100K training really accelerates the wear on the Kinvara 7's left, medial heel of the sole.  With that knowledge, I chose the new Peregrine 4's to walk in, rather than a new pair of Kinvara 7's, to finish out my training for the Half in 10 days.

It could be that train hiking and/or running make the wear on the Peregrines a non-event because the terrain is not flat concrete.

As far as our weather, yeah, this is the longest streak of below freezing mornings since Feb 2011.  It got down to 26, this morning, but that's supposed to be the last one for at least a week.  Still supposed to be 70 on Sunday.

On the weather front, y'all have heard about the Nor'easter or "bombogenesis" storm to hit Boston, etc?  I looked at the Weather Service's discussion of that storm.  It includes the measurement of the strength of the Low pressure system in millibars (mb).  The lower the number, the stronger the system.

At 5:15 ET, today, the Boston NWS updated the following on their Forecast Discussion:

515 PM update...

*** Snow Ends 5-8pm But Considerable Blow and [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=Drifting Snow]Drifting Snow[/url]
Continues ***

Surface Analysis...

Satellite and buoy observations confirm powerful occluded
cyclone now exiting Georges Bank and heading into the Gulf of
Maine. Despite center of circulation passing east of Nantucket
Shoals buoy 44008 a few hours ago, it measured a pressure of 957
mb! Very impressive for this latitude.
Very strong winds
continue to be observed on the backside of this system with
Nantucket airport currently gusting to 51 kt/59 mph.

My point is the center of this Low was 957 mb hours after going by a buoy.

Hurricane Harvey's center of Low pressure 40 miles away from coming ashore at Rockport, Texas was 940 mb as a category 4 hurricane.

I
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next