365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Mulligan...

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:20 pm

nkrichards wrote: wrote:
It's funny Mark.  I was seriously undertrained for the half last weekend.  I went in with no expectations other than to have fun and make sure I didn't push harder than I should...and look at the results.  It was a very important lesson!

Yep. Guess you were in better shape than you'd realized! That's always a nice thing to discover.  Very Happy

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7175
Points : 15440
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote: wrote:
It's funny Mark.  I was seriously undertrained for the half last weekend.  I went in with no expectations other than to have fun and make sure I didn't push harder than I should...and look at the results.  It was a very important lesson!

Yep. Guess you were in better shape than you'd realized! That's always a nice thing to discover.  Very Happy

 I still think I was seriously undertrained.  What I took away from the experience was that it really is better to be undertrained than overtrained and that putting pressure on yourself to perform well can be counterproductive.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Eagle Bakery group run went pretty well.  Group runs are dangerous as I am to tempted to try and keep up with the others...  I ended up going 4 miles with the slower runners @ 9:57.  Faster than I should have but not terrible.  HR 143/155 so not terrible.  The speedsters did 7 miles and we all met back at the bakery for cinnamon rolls and cocoa afterwards.  Not sure I needed/wanted a cinnamon roll but they are a nice small locally owned business that supports our local events so we need to support them I guess.  It's nice to do group events sometimes.

Pretty pleased with how I've been feeling.  Definitely took a bit of time to recover from my half even though I didn't feel like a pushed to hard.  I've been tired but not overly so and took it fairly easy last week.  Resting HR is settling down into the low 50's which I'm quite pleased with.

I did commit to the Indy marathon.  Katie agreed to go with me so I'm all set.  Looking forward to it.  I'm going to try and build base and volume with mostly easy running and cross training over the next few months so I'm ready to concentrate on marathon specific training by mid-summer.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote: wrote:
It's funny Mark.  I was seriously undertrained for the half last weekend.  I went in with no expectations other than to have fun and make sure I didn't push harder than I should...and look at the results.  It was a very important lesson!

Yep. Guess you were in better shape than you'd realized! That's always a nice thing to discover.  Very Happy

 I still think I was seriously undertrained.  What I took away from the experience was that it really is better to be undertrained than overtrained and that putting pressure on yourself to perform well can be counterproductive.

Oh, goodness yes. Right after my closest attempt to hitting a BQ, I quickly doubled down, thinking I could build on all this great fitness I had... and completely burned myself out in a couple of months. It took more than a year to recover, and I've never even got close to where I was before in fitness. So yes, I'm a believer in being slightly undertrained, if only to save us from ourselves.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7175
Points : 15440
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Yay on Indy.  I'll let my sister know as it gets closer so Alyson can make a sign for you.  The field is small enough that you will indeed see a sign.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Yay on Indy.  I'll let my sister know as it gets closer so Alyson can make a sign for you.  The field is small enough that you will indeed see a sign.

I'm excited! 

Glad I made the decision to wait and do a fall marathon.  I'm working on scheduling my training around a couple shorter races to keep things fun but I plan to concentrate on slower base work more than I have in the past until it's time to start marathon specific training.  I'm also working hard on core and strength and will continue to do that.  I'm enjoying the Pilates class and think it's been really helpful...hope I can fit it in once we get busy farming.  And of course I'll continue swimming and get in some biking as the weather improves.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

So here's what I've been doing...

Sunday - rest day

Monday - Core/strength
             - Swim 2250 yds.  We had an option to swim an additional 500 yds to accommodate some faster swimmers that joined us.  I'd been concentrating on fixing some stroke problems that Sara pointed out last week so I stopped at 2250.  I was afraid if I continued I'd fall back into old bad habits as I fatigued.  I've also been spending a bit of time swimming with bilateral breathing each session.  It's hard.  I'm slower and tire more quickly but long term I think it's a good investment of my time.

Tuesday - Pilates
             - 6.5 mi @ 11:16  HR 147/162  I ended up doing this later...broken water pipe...and at a higher HR than intended.  I was already stressed out so the higher HR wasn't surprising and because I was stressed I pushed the pace a bit more than intended.

Wednesday - Core/strength
                  - off to swimming shortly

I have a tendency to stress when I watch my HR to closely during a run.  I worry about keeping it low and so guess what it does!  I've been trying to run more by feel...trying to make the effort easy and then look at my HR after the run to see how I did.  It's obvious that my Perceived Rate of Exertion and my HR don't match up as well as I'd like.  Not sure how much of that is caused by a lack of good judgement...after all I did run 6 miles while having a heart attack...and how much is caused by a slightly higher HR than might be "normal" for my age and gender.  Oh well...I'm still trying...

Glad I switched to a fall marathon to give me some time to work on easier base building without feeling like I have an important event coming up.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm

avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:15 am


I would imagine that there is an email address where we could send a link to my article but I have no idea how to find it.

Do you actually think they would be interested?  Lots of heart attack stories out there but I guess the fact that mine was at Boston makes it a bit different.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:02 pm

nkrichards wrote:

I would imagine that there is an email address where we could send a link to my article but I have no idea how to find it.

Do you actually think they would be interested?  Lots of heart attack stories out there but I guess the fact that mine was at Boston makes it a bit different.

I think we can find an outlet.  Maybe Mark - the reporter - can help - lol.  I'l look at my physical copy of Runner's World later to see what we can find.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Wed - Core/Strength
       - Swim 2550 yds  Nice workout...a bit longer than we've been doing
       - Bike 9.3 mi  Chilly ride! 41 degrees.  I don't own cold weather biking gear...

Thurs - Pilates
         - 7 mi @ 11:32  HR 145/160  This was slightly better than my previous easy (low HR) run but only a couple beats...

Fri - Core/strength
     - Swim 2100 yds.  Sara coached today.  She put us through some drills during our warm up and then we did short, hard intervals.   This was a TOUGH workout.  I loved it. 
     - My scheduled bike ride was cancelled in favor of some additional recovery time. Smile

Sat - 9 mi @ 11:32  HR 140/153  Still not a low HR run by Mark's standards but better.  Pretty pleased that even though I added distance I was able to keep my HR significantly lower than my runs earlier in the week.  I did notice that I struggled a bit towards the end...mostly the last mile.  As I increase distance, I'm going to have to start carrying hydration and fuel or start looping back by the house to grab whatever I stash there.

*
This was a tough week.  I had a couple hard swims, got in a bike ride, and increased my running mileage a bit.  Today was a much needed recovery day.  Feeling good though.  I'm very encouraged by my resting HR...average this week was 49.  And it looks like my HR is starting to settle down a bit during training.

I was invited to join a group bike ride on Saturday.  30 miles interrupted by rest breaks at the eagle watch viewing sites.  Sounded fun even though I haven't been on my bike much lately.  But it was still only 36 degrees at the scheduled start time and things had gotten a bit hectic here at home.  I wimped out, did my chores, and ran later in the day after it warmed to 40 degrees.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I would imagine that there is an email address where we could send a link to my article but I have no idea how to find it.

Do you actually think they would be interested?  Lots of heart attack stories out there but I guess the fact that mine was at Boston makes it a bit different.

I think we can find an outlet.  Maybe Mark - the reporter - can help - lol.  I'l look at my physical copy of Runner's World later to see what we can find.

Boy, where's Hal when you need him?

Runners World's website is not easy to navigate if you're looking for someone who actually puts out the product. (Most newspapers are much more transparent.)

But saying that, I found one name/address. Probably too high up the food chain, but maybe she'd send an inquiry from you to the right person. Also, who knows how big their staff is, so maybe she IS the right person.

Here you go:
Molly O’Keefe,  VP/Publisher, Runner's World
212-573-0308
Molly.OKeefe@Rodale.com

Also, here is an email address for "editorial inquiries" to Runner's World: RWedit@rodale.com

And, here's their guidelines for submissions: http://www.runnersworld.com/about-runners-world/writer-submission-guidelines

They sound like a tough nut to crack. Perhaps your best option would be to send an email to Amby Burfoot, the writer/runner who wrote the article that Michele linked to above. His email address (at least that I could find) is amburf@gmail.com

Good luck! I think you have a great story to tell. I hope they would agree.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7175
Points : 15440
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I would imagine that there is an email address where we could send a link to my article but I have no idea how to find it.

Do you actually think they would be interested?  Lots of heart attack stories out there but I guess the fact that mine was at Boston makes it a bit different.

I think we can find an outlet.  Maybe Mark - the reporter - can help - lol.  I'l look at my physical copy of Runner's World later to see what we can find.

Boy, where's Hal when you need him?

Runners World's website is not easy to navigate if you're looking for someone who actually puts out the product. (Most newspapers are much more transparent.)

But saying that, I found one name/address. Probably too high up the food chain, but maybe she'd send an inquiry from you to the right person. Also, who knows how big their staff is, so maybe she IS the right person.

Here you go:
Molly O’Keefe,  VP/Publisher, Runner's World
212-573-0308
Molly.OKeefe@Rodale.com

Also, here is an email address for "editorial inquiries" to Runner's World: RWedit@rodale.com

And, here's their guidelines for submissions: http://www.runnersworld.com/about-runners-world/writer-submission-guidelines

They sound like a tough nut to crack. Perhaps your best option would be to send an email to Amby Burfoot, the writer/runner who wrote the article that Michele linked to above. His email address (at least that I could find) is amburf@gmail.com

Good luck! I think you have a great story to tell. I hope they would agree.

Thanks for doing the research for me Mark!  I've got to get our taxes finished up and in the mail by Wednesday morning (farmers don't have to pay estimates if they file and pay by March 1st) so once that's done I'll shoot off some emails and see what happens.  I'm wondering if this might be a better story during Boston...especially if I am ever able to qualify again.  I'm not super excited about sharing but happy to if I can help someone recognize the symptoms and get treatment quickly and/or realize that they can recover from a cardiac event and remain active.

Thanks again for the contact info.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I would imagine that there is an email address where we could send a link to my article but I have no idea how to find it.

Do you actually think they would be interested?  Lots of heart attack stories out there but I guess the fact that mine was at Boston makes it a bit different.

I think we can find an outlet.  Maybe Mark - the reporter - can help - lol.  I'l look at my physical copy of Runner's World later to see what we can find.

Boy, where's Hal when you need him?

Runners World's website is not easy to navigate if you're looking for someone who actually puts out the product. (Most newspapers are much more transparent.)

But saying that, I found one name/address. Probably too high up the food chain, but maybe she'd send an inquiry from you to the right person. Also, who knows how big their staff is, so maybe she IS the right person.

Here you go:
Molly O’Keefe,  VP/Publisher, Runner's World
212-573-0308
Molly.OKeefe@Rodale.com

Also, here is an email address for "editorial inquiries" to Runner's World: RWedit@rodale.com

And, here's their guidelines for submissions: http://www.runnersworld.com/about-runners-world/writer-submission-guidelines

They sound like a tough nut to crack. Perhaps your best option would be to send an email to Amby Burfoot, the writer/runner who wrote the article that Michele linked to above. His email address (at least that I could find) is amburf@gmail.com

Good luck! I think you have a great story to tell. I hope they would agree.

Thanks for doing the research for me Mark!  I've got to get our taxes finished up and in the mail by Wednesday morning (farmers don't have to pay estimates if they file and pay by March 1st) so once that's done I'll shoot off some emails and see what happens.  I'm wondering if this might be a better story during Boston...especially if I am ever able to qualify again.  I'm not super excited about sharing but happy to if I can help someone recognize the symptoms and get treatment quickly and/or realize that they can recover from a cardiac event and remain active.

Thanks again for the contact info.

It would be a good Boston story, but unlike newspapers, magazines work weeks to months in advance. It may already be too late for this year's Boston. So get in touch with them as soon as you can!

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7175
Points : 15440
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 pm

I think we wait until the day after the Indy Marathon when Nancy returns to Boston.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I think we wait until the day after the Indy Marathon when Nancy returns to Boston.

Thanks for the expression of confidence Michele.  I hope when the time comes I can show that I deserve it!

So...I got our taxes filed and the check in the mail with a March 1st postmark.  It was a bit trying as I found an error on our K1's and had to have the accountant correct them on Monday.  I got a bit behind on my other chores but did manage to squeeze in all my training. Running Details later.  For now I have a couple questions I'd like your help with.

First...how to proceed with regards to getting my story to Runners World.  I can imagine a few different scenarios.

  1. I send everything in now with the knowledge that they probably won't want to use it till later.
  2. I wait till after Indy to send it in.  I'm worried that this will put additional pressure on me to BQ at Indy.  Not sure I need more pressure.  And it also might be to late if they want to run with the story during Heart Month (Feb) or Boston...or it might be more timely and get their attention.
  3. I send the story in later this summer or early fall.  This will really put pressure on me to BQ at Indy but actually might make a better story...they could follow my progress to return to Boston.  In spite of the pressure to run well I'm actually thinking this might be the best option.


Thoughts...suggestions?

The next question which is actually related to the first...how should I get back to Boston?  Or more importantly should I?

  • Part of me...the loudest part right now...says I don't deserve to go back unless I can qualify like everyone else.  I struggle with what I would do if I ran a BQ time but didn't get in but that's a question for another day.  If I stick to my morals then I would be running for a chance to return to Boston in 2019.
  • Part of me really wants to get back there and turn right on Hereford Street and left on Boylston Street and see that Citgo sign get closer and closer.  (and say 'hi' to Joe)  My memories are pretty foggy from the Newton Hills on and I don't remember much at all about the last 3 miles.  I don't think I'd have to much trouble getting a charity bib.  I'm pretty sure Mass General has a charity team and Dr. Baggish would be an inside track.  The question is do I want to run with a charity bib?  If I'm willing to do that when should I apply for the bib?  I could apply before Indy with the idea that I would only use it if I ran well (even it wasn't a BQ) at Indy...that would take some of the pressure off and I could go to Boston in 2018.  Or I could wait and apply after Indy if bibs were still available.  I'm not sure I could bring myself to apply for a charity bib if I ran poorly at Indy.  As you can see I'm really struggling with this.  This turned into a nonsensical ramble.  As much as I want to go back I'm just not sure I can accept the idea of doing it with a charity bib.


I think my question about returning to Boston is a issue I'll just have to resolve on my own but thanks for listening.

Input on how to proceed with Runner's World would be appreciated though.

Thanks...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 am

My suggestion on Runner's World would be to get in touch with somebody now. If you wait too long, they will have found someone else to profile.

You can always check back with them after Indy. If you BQ and decide to return, it'll make your story even more compelling -- and the fact that they'll know you already will make it even more so. As an editor, that's a story I'd like to see a writer develop.

As far as Boston goes, that's up to you. I wouldn't feel ashamed of a charity bib, though, considering what that race put you through last time.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7175
Points : 15440
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree on getting the info to Runner's World now.  

As for getting back to Boston - what's wrong with a charity bib?  Shoot or even a bib your cardiologist in OR or even in Boston can get for you - it is still an awesome success story, a celebration of life so to speak and it speaks volumes to hard work and determination regardless of time.  I think they should just give you a bib with your story.  Maybe we should get it to the BAA??  I know there are lots of stories - but hey, why not.  

Let me ask a couple of friends involved with the Boston Marathon movie what they think and who to contact.  No promises as it has been a long time since I've seen them and we are just FB friends now.   Maybe we should reach out to Hal too.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Mark B wrote:My suggestion on Runner's World would be to get in touch with somebody now. If you wait too long, they will have found someone else to profile.

You can always check back with them after Indy. If you BQ and decide to return, it'll make your story even more compelling -- and the fact that they'll know you already will make it even more so. As an editor, that's a story I'd like to see a writer develop.

As far as Boston goes, that's up to you. I wouldn't feel ashamed of a charity bib, though, considering what that race put you through last time.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I agree on getting the info to Runner's World now.  

As for getting back to Boston - what's wrong with a charity bib?  Shoot or even a bib your cardiologist in OR or even in Boston can get for you - it is still an awesome success story, a celebration of life so to speak and it speaks volumes to hard work and determination regardless of time.  I think they should just give you a bib with your story.  Maybe we should get it to the BAA??  I know there are lots of stories - but hey, why not.  

Let me ask a couple of friends involved with the Boston Marathon movie what they think and who to contact.  No promises as it has been a long time since I've seen them and we are just FB friends now.   Maybe we should reach out to Hal too.

Thanks to both of you.  I'll get an email off early next week.  I have some time to figure out how to get a Boston bib.  I didn't realize that I might be able to get a bib just because...  That would take some pressure off and probably lead to safer training.  Thanks for your support and ideas.

*
I planned to update on last weeks training but things are hectic tonight and I have lots of interesting news so details later.

First...I've completed 3 weeks of low...or pretty low anyway...HR training.  I can already see improvement.  And I've increased my volume as well...and put in some time on the bike.

Second...Coach Tim introduced us to race pace training on Wednesday.  He usually puts up a workout with suggested effort levels or target paces and we're on our own.  This time he actually gave us exact start times based on what he thought we should swim plus the rest time.  Maura had to do 50s on 1:15.  Janice and Nailon were on 1:30.  Toni, Anita & I were on 1:20 and he started us together.  The theory was to swim 12x50 on this schedule.  He estimated my swim time at :60 with a :20 rest.  Toni and Anita are both slightly faster than I am but I'm stubborn.  We nailed it.  Every 50 was under :52 and the last was :49.  I think we'll be going on 1:15 next time. Shocked

Third...Missed opportunity.  RORK (Redmond Oregon Running Klub) invited MADrass runners to join in their annual tunnel run.  They meet at Lew Hollander's home and then run through the irrigation tunnel that travels under the hills at Smith Rock.  I was excited!  Then Marty reminded me that they didn't have permission and it would not look good if the spouse of the chairman of the irrigation board was seen trespassing.  So I reluctantly declined.  Darn facebook.  The photos are already up.

Fourth...Dog trouble again.  I ran my normal loop today and the dog that I had trouble with last fall came charging across the road.  I've learned that if I stop and face him and wait for his owner to come out he won't bite.  (If I keep running he heals me.)  So I stopped and yelled at him to go home.  No owner.  Every time I took a step he came closer and barked and growled louder.  Fortunately a very kind motorist saw my predicament and stopped and put his vehicle between me and the dog and I was able to pass and head home.  I called the deputy afterwards.  He talked to the owners but of course they denied it and said the dog was in the yard all morning.  He told me to take a photo next time so that he has enough proof to write a citation...and to carry pepper spray.

I've been really busy and I'm still not caught up but I've managed to get my training in and I'm feeling good.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 am

Good week last week.  I continued with only easy runs...fairly low HR most of the time...and increased volume bit.  I'm seeing improvement so that's encouraging.  I also put my bike on the trainer...I gave up waiting for the weather to improve enough to ride outdoors.  I've been working on single leg drills...they are tough to do...and cadence.  I've been keeping up on the core work and even stretching fairly regularly.

Mon - Core/strength, swim 1600 yds, bike trainer 30 mins
Tue - Pilates, 7 mi easy
Wed - Core/strength, swim 2000 yds, bike trainer 30 mins
Thur - Pilates, 7 mi easy
Fri - Core/strength, swim 2350 yds, bike trainer 30 mins
Sat - 10 mi easy
Sun - rest

        Week       YTD
Run    24          161
Bike   23            41
Swim 5950     50,930

Yesterday was hectic and I was only able to get my swim in.  But it was exciting!  I don't think I've mentioned that last week I signed up for an Olympic Triathlon in Cottage Grove on July 22nd.  A masters swimming friend...Toni...is doing it with me.  She's an accomplished triathlete but got burnt out a few years ago and hasn't done anything for 3 years or so.  She recently returned to swimming.  She can't fit into her wetsuit so is buying a new one for the race.  She offered her old one to me.  It fits perfectly and is in really good shape...and she gave me a good deal.  I swam a few laps in the pool with it on.  Interesting...and fun.  I'm excited.  We are both going into this with the attitude to have fun and not push to hard but we both have a tendency to get to competitive so we'll see how it goes.  I'm struggling to fit enough time on the bike into my training as I don't want to back off to much on running but I'll make it work.

Oh...the swim...2400 yds...all with fins...lots of just kicking.  Coach Tim said it tricks our body into using our core more.

Off to Pilates...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  ounce on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Well, that's what I get for not checking in. 

I also agree on the RW story, but maybe get your local paper to write a story that might get picked up by an Oregon TV station.  Mark probably knows somebody at the Portland stations or maybe Mark can ask his Nike people about what to do.  It might help if you wore Nike's, but doesn't hurt for Mark to pick some brains over there.  And of course, ESPN. 

My point is if it gets traction somewhere else that has at least verified that it's not a fluke, it might attain a comfort level for RW to do the story, too.

We all know how human interest stories from anywhere will show up anywhere, including the networks.  Did I say 'networks'?  Yes, yes I did.

As far as the charity bibs, didn't Nick have to raise about $6K for his?

And now that Mark has weekends free from work, most of the time, he and Alec can do community service at your farm!  A nice college application padder and Mark can bring Fluff to scare off the dog!!!
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4697
Points : 12936
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:19 pm

ounce wrote:Well, that's what I get for not checking in. 

I also agree on the RW story, but maybe get your local paper to write a story that might get picked up by an Oregon TV station.  Mark probably knows somebody at the Portland stations or maybe Mark can ask his Nike people about what to do.  It might help if you wore Nike's, but doesn't hurt for Mark to pick some brains over there.  And of course, ESPN. 

My point is if it gets traction somewhere else that has at least verified that it's not a fluke, it might attain a comfort level for RW to do the story, too.

We all know how human interest stories from anywhere will show up anywhere, including the networks.  Did I say 'networks'?  Yes, yes I did.

As far as the charity bibs, didn't Nick have to raise about $6K for his?

And now that Mark has weekends free from work, most of the time, he and Alec can do community service at your farm!  A nice college application padder and Mark can bring Fluff to scare off the dog!!!

Yes, but there are other ways of getting a bib - and doctors can get them just by being doctors.  I'm sure Nancy's cardiologist could get here one.  It can also be who you know espcially when here is a human interest story tied to it.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, that's what I get for not checking in. 

I also agree on the RW story, but maybe get your local paper to write a story that might get picked up by an Oregon TV station.  Mark probably knows somebody at the Portland stations or maybe Mark can ask his Nike people about what to do.  It might help if you wore Nike's, but doesn't hurt for Mark to pick some brains over there.  And of course, ESPN. 

My point is if it gets traction somewhere else that has at least verified that it's not a fluke, it might attain a comfort level for RW to do the story, too.

We all know how human interest stories from anywhere will show up anywhere, including the networks.  Did I say 'networks'?  Yes, yes I did.

As far as the charity bibs, didn't Nick have to raise about $6K for his?

And now that Mark has weekends free from work, most of the time, he and Alec can do community service at your farm!  A nice college application padder and Mark can bring Fluff to scare off the dog!!!

Yes, but there are other ways of getting a bib - and doctors can get them just by being doctors.  I'm sure Nancy's cardiologist could get here one.  It can also be who you know espcially when here is a human interest story tied to it.

Whoa Doug...hold your horses.  I'm not looking for celebrity status.  I'm just willing to share my story if it can be used to educate and encourage others...and I wouldn't mind if one of the benefits of doing so was a Boston bib.  I'm looking for a SAFE/responsible way to earn that bib without resorting to begging friends and family.  I was more than happy to contribute to Nick's charity but I struggle with the thought of doing the same thing.  I've got a message to Runners World started and will get it sent out this week.  I also think it's time to update Dr. Baggish in Boston.  We'll see what happens.

*

HUGE EXHALE  This has been a busy week.  I was still catching up with bookwork and I also had to host 20 family members for our annual stuffed pork chop dinner yesterday.  This is an annual event that I've done for years...and let slide after my Dad passed away 3 years ago.  It's a lot of work but it's a family tradition started by Auntie Vi (Dad's sister) when I was a child.  It was time to move forward and restart the tradition.  I was exhausted but it was fun and both our Mom's stayed for the weekend to watch the grandkids sports and see their animals.  It was good.  I did manage to get the house reasonably clean and squeeze in most of my training.  I did have to choose between mopping the floors and going for a run on Friday...the run won. Laughing

*

Mon - Swim 2400 yards after trying on and testing out my new wetsuit.  This is going to be fun!

Tue - Pilates
      - 7 mi @ 11:29 HR 148/158  Cold, windy, uncomfortable run.  Not low HR.

Wed - Core/strength
       - Swim 2600 yds, challenging ladder workout
       - Bike Trainer 30 minutes, single leg drills and cadence work

Thurs - Pilates
         - Video swim analysis 1000 yds.  This was fun.  Coach Sara worked with Janice and I after Pilates.  She took videos and then we sat at the computer and watched them.  It's quite eye opening.  She said we actually have decent technique but did give us some things to work on.  She mentioned that range of motion may be tough for both of us and strength will also be an issue but she was pleased overall with where we're at.  We jumped back in the pool afterwards and did a few drills and practiced what she told us.  It's going to be challenging but it was fun!
         - 6 mi @ 11:15  HR 142/162  HR was better...

Fri - Swim 2400 yds  Worked hard on the things Sara suggested.
     - 7 mi @ 11:11 HR 147/164  It was warm!  64 degrees.  I'm struggling to keep my pace low as it starts to feel easier...and I was stressed about getting my housework done...and it was hot.  I'm learning how much all these things matter when trying to keep my HR low.

Sat - Core/strength
      - Family dinner

Sun - Family stuff till 2:30
       - Bike 11.4 mi @ 15.2mph  HR 133/165  To the pool and back on the race route.  I haven't been on the bike much at all and what I have done has been mostly on the trainer.  This was a good ride.

This was a good week!

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

So...I sent an email to Amby and copied it to Molly OKeefe this morning.  I got a reply from Amby!  He said he had only skimmed my story and would read it thoroughly later.  He explained that he was retired and only did freelance work for RW but he would keep the story in his file and talk to the RW editors to see if they might be interested.  Not sure if anything will come of it but it's a start.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I also sent an update to Dr. Baggish...my Boston cardiologist and mentioned my desire to return to Boston.  I couldn't bring myself to actually ask for help obtaining a bib.  I'll wait and see what his response is and then decide if I should ask or not.

In the meantime the best way to get a Boston bib is to earn it!

Ultreya...


Edited to add:

I just got a reply from Dr. Baggish.  He was very encouraging.  He mentioned helping me get to Boston in 2018 if I ran a BQ in November.  He hinted that he might be willing to help even if I didn't BQ but expressed confidence that I would. 

I'm struggling with the idea of accepting a "pity bib" but if I know it's available and I'm not pressured to run a specific time maybe I can relax and run a better race.  I want to earn my way back to Boston but maybe a well run marathon will be enough to make me feel like I earned it even if it is a few seconds short.

Okay...enough talk for today.  I've got a couple office chores to finish up and them I'm headed out into the wind for a run!!! Running Running Running
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6717
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:So...I sent an email to Amby and copied it to Molly OKeefe this morning.  I got a reply from Amby!  He said he had only skimmed my story and would read it thoroughly later.  He explained that he was retired and only did freelance work for RW but he would keep the story in his file and talk to the RW editors to see if they might be interested.  Not sure if anything will come of it but it's a start.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I also sent an update to Dr. Baggish...my Boston cardiologist and mentioned my desire to return to Boston.  I couldn't bring myself to actually ask for help obtaining a bib.  I'll wait and see what his response is and then decide if I should ask or not.

In the meantime the best way to get a Boston bib is to earn it!

Ultreya...


Edited to add:

I just got a reply from Dr. Baggish.  He was very encouraging.  He mentioned helping me get to Boston in 2018 if I ran a BQ in November.  He hinted that he might be willing to help even if I didn't BQ but expressed confidence that I would. 

I'm struggling with the idea of accepting a "pity bib" but if I know it's available and I'm not pressured to run a specific time maybe I can relax and run a better race.  I want to earn my way back to Boston but maybe a well run marathon will be enough to make me feel like I earned it even if it is a few seconds short.

Okay...enough talk for today.  I've got a couple office chores to finish up and them I'm headed out into the wind for a run!!! Running Running Running
Far from a pity bib!!!!
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4739
Points : 11064
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum