365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Mulligan...

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am

Don't know about you, but I always seem tired when I get in the pool, but I usually make it through the workout and at the paces I had hoped to achieve.  

Sounds like an eventful week with the Grandkids - how fun.  Not sure if I wish or don't wish to have Grandkids, but at any rate, I won't see any for at least another 10 yrs.

Good to see the HR coming down - I'm sure the flu had a lot to do with it.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Don't know about you, but I always seem tired when I get in the pool, but I usually make it through the workout and at the paces I had hoped to achieve.  

Sounds like an eventful week with the Grandkids - how fun.  Not sure if I wish or don't wish to have Grandkids, but at any rate, I won't see any for at least another 10 yrs.

Good to see the HR coming down - I'm sure the flu had a lot to do with it.

Thanks Michele.

I've always found swim workouts to be good recovery workouts even when they are hard effort.  I guess it's because there is no pavement pounding.  Tim has us up to 2500-3000 yards most days which usually takes me an hour plus some.  My legs may get in some recovery but it's still a tough workout.

Grandkids are great fun...and exhausting!

Speaking of exhausting...I was feeling the efforts of the first part of the week yesterday.  Fortunately Thursdays are slightly easier days.

• Bike 11.5 miles to/from pool.  Slow due to exhaustion and a headwind on the way home.
  • Pilates
  • Aqua Jog 45 minutes

Mini taper started.  I tried to rein in my effort level yesterday.  I was pretty stiff, sore, and tired.  Pilates and aqua jogging helped loosen me up a bit.  Office work today...no training.  Saturday afternoon Katie and I will head over the mountain so we can pick up our race packets and get in a shake out walk/run before heading to bed.  I'm signed up for the half on Sunday...Katie is walking the 5K.  My goal is to run...I use that word with caution...at an easy long run training pace.  I already warned Katie that if necessary I may walk a bit.  I'm not ready to run a half.  I'm struggling to accept the paces that I'm able to run at this point.  I get it mentally but it's hard to admit that I'm getting older and significantly slower.  I'm determined to continue this adventure and in order to do that I need to accept and embrace my speed or lack thereof. 

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Cheesy venues are platinum venues, when they don't know any better!

I don't have to worry about getting significantly slower, I was already there.

Hope you did well on the Half!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 pm

@ounce wrote:Cheesy venues are platinum venues, when they don't know any better!

I don't have to worry about getting significantly slower, I was already there.

Hope you did well on the Half!

It's not to tough to impress a 3 year old and a 5 year old!

So...the Half...it was my slowest ever and I couldn't be more pleased with it!

2:13:26 Pace 10:11
Overall 225/378
Female 109/226
Female Masters 46/107
55-59 AG 5/16 (I'm looking forward to turning 60!)

And my splits:
10:38
10:39
10:38
10:53 (Heartbreak Hill)
10:13
10:06
10:27
10:28
10:32
10:06
9:24
9:27
9:04
Finish @ 7:23

I was expecting a pace closer to 11:00.  Considering my only runs over 5 miles have been one 7 mile run and one 10 mile run and I took a two day taper I couldn't be more pleased.  I didn't push hard and my HR was at a reasonable rate.  Average HR 161 on the Vivo which tends to record high.  I didn't wear my chest strap.  I was cautious on Heartbreak Hill.  It's timed separately but they haven't posted those results yet.  The pace ups and downs are due to elevation changes.  I kept the effort pretty constant until mile 11.  I was feeling good so I pushed the pace a bit.  I caught up with a walker during mile 12 and when I started to pass him he returned to running.  I sped up and so did he.  We ended up pacing each other to a very fast last mile.  I couldn't pass but I wouldn't quit trying.  He obviously felt the same.  We didn't speak...I don't think either of us could!  We did high five at the finish line.  I looked his number up later.  He's from Portland and is 57. 

As I mentioned I was VERY pleased with the results.  I finished feeling really good.  My legs are a bit tired but I don't feel at all like I pushed to hard.  I hate to "settle" for a slower pace but I'm trying to be a bit more realistic and that was what I was able to do safely today.

It's a really fun event.  I saw Dr. Beckerman and said 'hi' before the start but we didn't get a chance to talk afterward.  I'm so impressed with the work that Dr. B does with his Heart to Start group.  They meet every week for 12 weeks.  Most are first time 5K participants who just got off the couch.  They were all there in their shirts and he was right there cheering them on...and running.  His race has really grown as many of the participants return every year and move up in distance.  Very well supported race with sausage and eggs at the finish!

Katie drove me over.  She caught up with friends while I rested at the hotel last night.  One of her friends joined us this morning and walked the 5K with her.  They both met me at the finish.  It was a fun day.

Back to tri training...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Congrats on a well run race!   I know exactly how you feel though as I had a similar experience during my last race (15K) that I used as a workout and even in the horrid rain, it went as planned.  It is always nice when it comes together, isn't it?
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on a well run race!   I know exactly how you feel though as I had a similar experience during my last race (15K) that I used as a workout and even in the horrid rain, it went as planned.  It is always nice when it comes together, isn't it?

Thanks Michele.  Yes, it was a nice feeling to do as well...or better...than expected.  I will admit that Monday and even today my legs have been pretty sore.  Not surprised as I didn't have the miles on them that I normally would.  But cardio wise I was pleasantly surprised and didn't have that total body exhaustion feeling that I often have after a really tough race.  Maybe all the core and strength work I've been doing are paying off.

Now I'm wondering...did I let unjustified fear temper my expectations way more than needed?  In other words did I dog it?  You know me...I'm not sure I've accepted the "you paced that well" scenario.  Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?  Have I subconsciously been using the "I have a cardiac condition" excuse?  Have I given up and conceded that I'm getting to old to improve?  Definitely overthinking this!  I accomplished my goal and then some.  I need to accept and enjoy that feeling.

Monday - Core/strength

• TBC
  • Swim 2500 yds

Tuesday - Pilates

• Aqua Jog 45 minutes

I had more on my training schedule today but opted to give my body a bit more recovery time.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Congrats on a well run race!   I know exactly how you feel though as I had a similar experience during my last race (15K) that I used as a workout and even in the horrid rain, it went as planned.  It is always nice when it comes together, isn't it?

Thanks Michele.  Yes, it was a nice feeling to do as well...or better...than expected.  I will admit that Monday and even today my legs have been pretty sore.  Not surprised as I didn't have the miles on them that I normally would.  But cardio wise I was pleasantly surprised and didn't have that total body exhaustion feeling that I often have after a really tough race.  Maybe all the core and strength work I've been doing are paying off.

Now I'm wondering...did I let unjustified fear temper my expectations way more than needed?  In other words did I dog it?  You know me...I'm not sure I've accepted the "you paced that well" scenario.  Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?  Have I subconsciously been using the "I have a cardiac condition" excuse?  Have I given up and conceded that I'm getting to old to improve?  Definitely overthinking this!  I accomplished my goal and then some.  I need to accept and enjoy that feeling.

Monday - Core/strength

• TBC
  • Swim 2500 yds

Tuesday - Pilates

• Aqua Jog 45 minutes

I had more on my training schedule today but opted to give my body a bit more recovery time.

Ultreya...
Gratz on that race!  Seems like you, Miche1e, and I have all had good races at shorter distances, recently.

As far as your questions, yes to all except, "Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?"  Fast Freddy would actually say, "Hell, no!"

I just think you needed a new North Star.  You now have a starting point for the future with the results of this race.  A new frame of reference.  Now, get busy!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm

@ounce wrote:
Gratz on that race!  Seems like you, Miche1e, and I have all had good races at shorter distances, recently.

As far as your questions, yes to all except, "Have I been letting fear dictate my training/racing more than I realize?"  Fast Freddy would actually say, "Hell, no!"

I just think you needed a new North Star.  You now have a starting point for the future with the results of this race.  A new frame of reference.  Now, get busy!
 Thanks Doug.  This training/racing stuff is as much mental as it is physical and I seem to handle the physical part better than the mental part.  Damn that Fast Freddy...he's always getting involved somehow.  I am enjoying tri training even if it is at slower paces than I'd like.

Full day today.

• Core/strength with Marty.  We've been up to full reps for a couple weeks.
  • TBC   Tough class today.  We tried some new things that were challenging.  We laid on our back on the bosu ball and tried to hold our body level.  Sara said to picture flying down the track on the skeleton.  And we added a challenge to Mark's arabesque exercises...as we returned to the upright position we were supposed to take a short hop on one leg.  I got better but it took some practice.  Sara also let us try out the new machine they use for training the swim team.  http://www.vasatrainer.com  Our model is less expensive and doesn't have the bells and whistles but it's challenging!
  • Swim 2800 yds.  Maura and I both groaned when we saw the swim workout but we made it!  After a 700 yd warmup we started at 300 yards and went down the ladder to 50 yards and then back up to 300.  Tim is definitely going to have us ready for the swim portion of the tri!

I still don't feel fully recovered from the half so I've avoided running and biking this first part of the week.  I feel like the core and strength work, swimming and aqua jogging have been enough.  But I am getting antsy and want to get back out there.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16