365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Mulligan...

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm

+1 on you being exposed to some nasty Asian bug that's never made it across the Pacific. You guys were like two petri dishes just waiting to host microscopic evildoers. And because your body had NO resistance to this bug, you got the full meal deal.

And I think you probably learned your lesson on this after you did the office work, but just in case: If you wake up feeling pretty good one morning, STILL REST AS THOUGH YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE BEEN RUN OVER BY TRUCK. Pushing yourself too hard -- even if it's doing something that seems easy, like office work -- is the easiest way to extend your recovery to ridiculous times (been there, done that, and it sucked). If you have a series of good days with the rest, then maybe you'll be ready to try something else.

Based on your symptoms/condition now, I'd say put the tri out of your mind. Just concentrate on getting 100% better. Once you do, then you can decide what your next adventure should be.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm

I guess Fast Freddy is taking the boat back from Nepal.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:57 pm

@Mark B wrote:+1 on you being exposed to some nasty Asian bug that's never made it across the Pacific. You guys were like two petri dishes just waiting to host microscopic evildoers. And because your body had NO resistance to this bug, you got the full meal deal.

And I think you probably learned your lesson on this after you did the office work, but just in case: If you wake up feeling pretty good one morning, STILL REST AS THOUGH YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE BEEN RUN OVER BY TRUCK. Pushing yourself too hard -- even if it's doing something that seems easy, like office work -- is the easiest way to extend your recovery to ridiculous times (been there, done that, and it sucked). If you have a series of good days with the rest, then maybe you'll be ready to try something else.

Based on your symptoms/condition now, I'd say put the tri out of your mind. Just concentrate on getting 100% better. Once you do, then you can decide what your next adventure should be.

@ounce wrote:I guess Fast Freddy is taking the boat back from Nepal.

Feeling better every day.  I'm able to do more and more but I am limiting what I do and resting often.  I've been sleeping at least 12 hours a day!

Doug...Fast Freddy is sitting on the edge of the couch urging me to get out there and at least walk...or try jogging...so far I've been able to ignore him.  Fast Freddy would love to sit down and put a training plan for the half IM on paper and get started tomorrow.  I just hope that I'm able to resist until I'm feeling better...I don't have the best track record.

There are some holiday events coming up that I always participate in.  I intend to participate in some fashion...either walking or as a volunteer if I'm unable to walk. 

Just to keep things interesting I had a tooth extracted on Thursday afternoon.  I cracked it while in Nepal and was babying it until I got home...and then I got sick.  The dentist and I both agreed that it was time to take a look at it.  It was cracked well into the root area...we were both surprised that I was able to wait two weeks before having it looked at.  He couldn't save the tooth so I'll either be missing a molar or will get an implant at a later date...

The biggest problem with the tooth is that I can't eat anything other than soft foods and I'm starving!!!!!!!!!!!! 

We went to the forest yesterday and got our Christmas tree.  Marty and Katie headed over to Sandy to pick up the Gramma's.  We're having Christmas this weekend.  I stayed home to get a few things ready...including setting out the Christmas decorations...and get some rest this afternoon.

Merry Christmas...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Boy, you were using up all of your chits to stay 'serviceable' while you were away.  High five to you on those 12 hour sleeps.

I guess Marty is doing better, since he's hunting Christmas trees.

Merry Christmas to y'all!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Whew! All that grit you built on all those long runs over the years is paying off right now. Glad you're feeling better, gladder that you're allowing yourself 12-hour sleeps and gladdest of all that you're burying Fast Freddie under sofa cushions for the time being.

Yay on the tree and best wishes for a Merry Christmas for you and yours.

santa rendeer

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:53 am

@ounce wrote:Boy, you were using up all of your chits to stay 'serviceable' while you were away.  High five to you on those 12 hour sleeps.

I guess Marty is doing better, since he's hunting Christmas trees.

Merry Christmas to y'all!

@Mark B wrote:Whew! All that grit you built on all those long runs over the years is paying off right now. Glad you're feeling better, gladder that you're allowing yourself 12-hour sleeps and gladdest of all that you're burying Fast Freddie under sofa cushions for the time being.

Yay on the tree and best wishes for a Merry Christmas for you and yours.

santa rendeer

Thanks to both of you.  I'm making some definite progress.  I missed my nap on Sunday and Monday but went to bed early and didn't get to tired.  We had a really nice family Christmas.  We kept it a bit more simple than normal and everyone helped...Emma (13 yrs) made the pies and did an excellent job!  It was the only time we could get the Gramma's over to see all the grandkids...and great grandkids so I'm glad we did it.  We got a nice family photo and made our traditional swags and got them delivered.  It was nice to spend time with family!

I went to Pilates and stayed for aqua jogging yesterday.  I kept things very easy...mostly stretching and ignored the aqua jogging intervals and really just went for a stroll in the pool.  It was more a social time than anything resembling training.  It went much better than expected.  Deep breathing resulting in lots of coughing but other than that I did very well...and it was nice to get out and get moving a bit.  I did take a nap when I got home.

Getting our insurance claim submitted is a priority now that I'm feeling a bit better...and getting caught up in the office...and getting the Christmas letter in the mail.  No hurry on anything other than the insurance claim.

I'm going to swimming today but will keep it very easy and will spend time in the hot tub if breathing while lap swimming is a problem. 

Life goes on...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Good looking family, ma'am. 

I always liked the coughing after deep breathing because it lets me know how the lungs are recovering...or not.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Now that's a good-looking family! Glad everybody was healthy enough to enjoy it!

Good job working in a little physical activity. Getting some of the extra gunk out of the lungs is probably helpful at this point. Glad you're not pushing it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:17 pm

@ounce wrote:Good looking family, ma'am. 

I always liked the coughing after deep breathing because it lets me know how the lungs are recovering...or not.

@Mark B wrote:Now that's a good-looking family! Glad everybody was healthy enough to enjoy it!

Good job working in a little physical activity. Getting some of the extra gunk out of the lungs is probably helpful at this point. Glad you're not pushing it.

Thanks Doug and Mark...our family get-to-gather was even more special than normal this year.

Still coughing a bit especially when I breathe deeply for very long.  I have a tiny bit of chest pain on the right side when I cough to much but it's less every day.  And I still get tired easily.  I haven't been tired enough to fall asleep during the day but I do lay down and rest and also head to bed early.  I can tell I'm feeling better but I still have a ways to go.

MADras Runners organized a social run/walk through an area with lots of Christmas lights on Thursday night with cocoa and cookies afterwards.  I was pleased and surprised when Marty offered to go with me.  We joined the walking group of 5 and they were people we knew so Marty fit right in.  The runners took off...walkers followed...kids all climbed into an old "hippie van" that was decorated for Christmas.  It was a fun night.  Marty and I both coughed a bit but didn't have any trouble keeping up.  I will admit that I was pretty tired afterward.

I've been back to the pool twice.  I was pretty nervous about being able to swim without coughing but I did well.  I kept the effort easy with lots of breaks so that I didn't get to breathing to hard.  I managed to get around 750 yards in during a half hour swim...didn't actually count laps.  I did enjoy a dip in the hot tub and social time afterwards.  Pilates has been good also.  Lots of stretching and a bit of coughing.  It feels good to be moving again.

We woke up to snow this morning...not a lot but enough to make everything white.  We're expecting another dusting later today but I think it will be gone by Christmas.

We'll have a quiet Christmas as we celebrated with family earlier.  Gary and family are still in town so I expect we'll do something with them.  They've had a bit of the flu as well so we're all being pretty cautious.

Merry Christmas to all...time to start thinking about (realistic) goals for 2018...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Good, good!  You're on the right track to restoration.  Now, go roll around in the snow with Augie, if there is any left!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:52 pm

@ounce wrote:Good, good!  You're on the right track to restoration.  Now, go roll around in the snow with Augie, if there is any left!
An inversion kept the temperatures cold so the snow is hanging on...and the freezing fog is quite pretty.  But I'm staying indoors for now.  Still not ready to expose the lungs to the cold air.

I enjoyed a couple very easy swim sessions.  Pilates is going well.  I handled the Christmas light walk OK.  Marty and I started up our core/strength workout this morning...with about half the reps.  I'm not coughing as much but I still have some chest pain...right side, not left.  I don't understand that.  Is it lungs or did I pull a muscle from coughing so much???  And I do still get tired easily.

I may have to give up the afternoon nap though.  I'm not able to fall asleep and it's turning into a pity party on the couch with doesn't accomplish anything positive.  I just end up more stressed!

Freeze your Fanny...5K run and then a warm 500 yard swim is on Saturday.  I will attend and make a decision about what I can/can't do depending on the weather and how I'm feeling.  It may turn into a social/charity event for me but I do want to be there.

I'm amazed and disappointed at the fitness I've lost.  The tooth...or lack thereof...is healing OK and I'm able to eat a bit more which is helping.  I guess I have no where to go but up from here.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:20 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@ounce wrote:Good, good!  You're on the right track to restoration.  Now, go roll around in the snow with Augie, if there is any left!
An inversion kept the temperatures cold so the snow is hanging on...and the freezing fog is quite pretty.  But I'm staying indoors for now.  Still not ready to expose the lungs to the cold air.

I enjoyed a couple very easy swim sessions.  Pilates is going well.  I handled the Christmas light walk OK.  Marty and I started up our core/strength workout this morning...with about half the reps.  I'm not coughing as much but I still have some chest pain...right side, not left.  I don't understand that.  Is it lungs or did I pull a muscle from coughing so much???  And I do still get tired easily.

I may have to give up the afternoon nap though.  I'm not able to fall asleep and it's turning into a pity party on the couch with doesn't accomplish anything positive.  I just end up more stressed!

Freeze your Fanny...5K run and then a warm 500 yard swim is on Saturday.  I will attend and make a decision about what I can/can't do depending on the weather and how I'm feeling.  It may turn into a social/charity event for me but I do want to be there.

I'm amazed and disappointed at the fitness I've lost.  The tooth...or lack thereof...is healing OK and I'm able to eat a bit more which is helping.  I guess I have no where to go but up from here.
Boy howdy, I am with you on how quick fitness is lost.  On the other hand, this morning, I walked the same 8.79 miles this morning and my overall pace dropped from 17:35 to 17:08.  The weather was similar (37 vs 40 degrees), but I wasn't having most of the little issues, this morning.

As far as the right vs left lung, I'd say you've pulled something, instead of the actual lung itself.  Coughed a little hard, muscle between the ribs got tender, more coughing created more tenderness, rinse, repeat.  If you're not coughing up anything, then give it time.  If it doesn't begin to get better within 10 days, come back here or see your Doc.  We're cheaper, but we can't sign scripts.

As far as the 5K, you can always walk the 5K and put a Buff or cheese cloth over your mouth to warm the air a bit on inhale.  Maybe even a bellacava...I forget y'all have more of a need for them than I, although I have one.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Well, when you pick up a disease that attacks the specific organ necessary for getting oxygen into the blood and to the muscles, there's a huge impact on your athletic performance. I'd water that your O2 levels aren't back up to their normal, too. Give it time. I bet you've lost less fitness than you think.

I agree that the sore right side is probably a pulled muscle. But if it persists, ask a real doc.

You may need to walk that 5K. But that's okay.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

@Mark B wrote:Well, when you pick up a disease that attacks the specific organ necessary for getting oxygen into the blood and to the muscles, there's a huge impact on your athletic performance. I'd water that your O2 levels aren't back up to their normal, too. Give it time. I bet you've lost less fitness than you think.

I agree that the sore right side is probably a pulled muscle. But if it persists, ask a real doc.

You may need to walk that 5K. But that's okay.

You and Doug both have good points...and I know that I'm improving but it's going to take time.

BUT IT'S STILL FRUSTRATING!

It's hard not to whine and feel sorry for myself but I recognize the progress I'm making and the need to take it slowly.

Janice and I swam this morning.  I got in 900 yards including a "timed" 500.  I did it in 13 minutes...normal time is around 10:00 or less.  Should be easy to improve!  We're planning to walk the 5K together...we might jog a bit if we both feel well enough (She is 72 years old and legally blind and a VERY impressive lady.)  I'll be careful.  We'll also swim together...she's looking forward to beating me. Shocked The weather looks nice for the event. 

Next week I hope to get back on track.  Pilates is Tues and Thurs morning.  This is an easy class with lots of core/posture work...great recovery workout with benefits.  Coach Sara is starting a Total Body Conditioning class.  It will be on Mon and Wed through the end of February.  This is a paid class with limited numbers.  We'll work harder and progress as we're able.  Sara is a real stickler about doing things correctly!  Masters swimming will follow her class.  I'll start working into running again but will start really easy.  I'll also get my bike on the trainer and spend a bit of time on the bike so that I'm ready to get outside when the weather improves.  I have 5 months to prepare for the Half Ironman.  I'll take it slow and hope to be ready for a real training plan at the appropriate time.

One of the local PTs is offering a PT physical.  The idea is to find weak areas and subscribe exercises to improve.  Marty and I both have an appointment next Thursday.  Hoping we can update our core/strength workout.  Marty is even more determined to do this...together at least 2 of not 3 mornings each week. 

We also have the shared goal of making sure we drink more...water not coffee!  And definitely not alcohol. Shots 
And...I (with Marty's support) am hoping to make some dietary improvements.  We do pretty good but there is room for improvement.  May need to figure out a way to make these goals more specific and measurable or it will be easy to slide into old habits.

Still unsure of my ability to choose appropriate goals moving forward but I'm reading an excellent book about triathlon training.  The author's theory is that you have to fit training into your life in a way that allows you to sleep, recover, fulfill your family and work obligations, and enjoy the process.  In the long run he claims that sometimes less training makes you a better triathlete and a better person.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Freeze your Fanny update.

It went well.  Very well.  Janice and I headed out with the intention of walking the course and maybe jogging bit.  We walked up the hills and jogged the rest so we jogged about 2/3rds of the course.  We ended up with about a 12:00 pace for the 3 mile course.  They don't time the transition.  We changed and waited for our swim wave to start.  Janice started FAST...she always does.  I held back and paced myself pretty well.  She held on to a pretty good pace through 300 yards and started to fade.  I was 15-20 yards back and I made up a good portion of that distance in the last 150 yards but I couldn't catch her.  She finished in 10:08...I'm sure that's close to her fastest 500 ever.  She was determined to beat me!  I finished in 10:13 which I was extremely pleased with.  She was happy to crow about beating me for the first time ever...in a friendly way.  We all had a good laugh.

Pretty sure I was the last individual finisher in the biathlon.  I did beat one team though...it was Lew Hollander (age 87) and his fiancé.  Lew is a famous triathlete from Bend.  He's headed to Denmark to compete later this year but he stopped doing Ironman Kona as he can't make the cutoff any longer.  I think his last legal finish was at the age of 84 or 85.

They also offered an 8 mile run and a 3 mile run.  The event was very well attended...the weather helped.  There were some good runners there today.  I visited with several friends and met a few new ones.  It was a fun day for a good cause.

I probably pushed a bit harder than I should have...especially in the swim.  I had some lung congestion and coughing afterwards...not serious but noticeable.  I'm pretty pooped this afternoon.  Katie was here for lunch today but she headed home...I'm headed for the couch shortly.

It was a fun...and encouraging day.

Nap time.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:05 pm

Happy new year ! Congrats on the race. I hope the PT consult is insightful . I think the training less is helpful when it means avoiding injury at least . .
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 am

Congratulations on the race! Glad it went as well for you as it did.

I like the idea of a PT consultation. I wish they did that all the time, to catch things *before* they become injuries. Prevention? What a concept!

Hope you have a happy and fun new year.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm

@Julie wrote:Happy  new  year !  Congrats  on  the  race. I hope  the PT consult is insightful .  I  think  the  training  less is helpful  when it means avoiding injury  at least . .

@Mark B wrote:Congratulations on the race! Glad it went as well for you as it did.

I like the idea of a PT consultation. I wish they did that all the time, to catch things *before* they become injuries. Prevention? What a concept!

Hope you have a happy and fun new year.

Thanks Julie and Mark...it wasn't much of a race compared to years past but it was still an accomplishment all things considered.  Just for comparison I ran the course in a 9:08 pace last year.  11:59 this year.  My swim last year was 9:51...10:13 this year.  I definitely pushed to hard in the swim and felt it for several hours.  I finished the run feeling pretty good.  I could have gone faster but I agreed to stay with Janice and I'm not sorry that I did.  My legs were moderately sore for a couple days.  Not surprised after not running for nearly 2 months.

I am excited about the PT consultation.  I hope he does a thorough evaluation based on my goals.  I want exercises that will help me to be a better runner/triathlete not just a healthy nearly 60 year old.  I also think that I'm going to need to go in every once in a while to learn more difficult exercises as I improve...and to check my form.  I'll let you know how it goes.

So here's my year...

Total running miles 976...not counting walking, hiking or aqua jogging.  I had hoped to make it to 1000.  My previous record was 945.  Considering my last run was November 4th...and the 3 miles on Saturday...I did pretty good.  I'm still pretty disappointed with my marathon performance but I'm going to move on.

Total biking miles 807...not great.  I pretty much cut out biking altogether to concentrate on running after the MAC Dash in early September.  I need more miles next year if I'm going to do the Half Ironman in June.

Total swimming yards 228,660 (110 times at the pool).  Just over last years total but I've only been to the pool a few times in the last two months so I'm pleased with that. 

Core/Strength  I think I did a better job with my core/strength work...and added in Pilates as well.  I want to do even better next year.  And I need to get in a habit of stretching more.

As I mentioned I was disappointed in my marathon performance.  BUT I was pleased with my first Olympic distance triathlon even though I need to work on open water swimming.  I enjoyed my bike ride over McKenzie Pass.  I had fun at the MAC Dash and did well enough.

It's obvious that I need to branch out and do more multi-sport events.  I will keep running but shorter distances.

I'm struggling with the answer to my race performance problems.  I'm beginning to think that I'm doing to much...over training...  That's going to be tough for me to remedy.  I'm going to try to find a good balance though.  I'm also going to pay more attention to hydration and nutrition...both daily and during training/races.

Sorry for the rambling post...

I started the New Year with my core/strength workout (half the reps) and a day of rest.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Gratz on the race!

As far as your changing dietary things, anything to get Marty in the role of nagging, I am all for.  Laughing

As far as your level of tiredness after the race, think about how tired you were after this race. Then, find that level of tiredness to any other race.  For example, you were as tired after a half marathon as you were after Freeze Your Fanny.

I would submit for your review that the gap in distance or effort between a Half and Freeze Your Fanny, but the same level of tiredness, is your gap in physical effort for the Half.  Did I type that somewhat understandable?

Finally, consider Janice conspired to get you SICK in Nepal!  Her motive was to FINALLY beat you! Suspect

Happy New Year and good luck with your efforts.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Nancy, I saw online that a new 2018 Oregon law allows counties with populations less than 40K to pump your own gas!  Congratulations!  The story even had somebody from Bend and a couple of stations there commenting about it.  They mentioned their pumps don't have credit card swiping in them.  I guess that won't be cheap to remedy.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm

@ounce wrote:Gratz on the race!

As far as your changing dietary things, anything to get Marty in the role of nagging, I am all for.  Laughing

As far as your level of tiredness after the race, think about how tired you were after this race. Then, find that level of tiredness to any other race.  For example, you were as tired after a half marathon as you were after Freeze Your Fanny.

I would submit for your review that the gap in distance or effort between a Half and Freeze Your Fanny, but the same level of tiredness, is your gap in physical effort for the Half.  Did I type that somewhat understandable?

Finally, consider Janice conspired to get you SICK in Nepal!  Her motive was to FINALLY beat you! Suspect

Happy New Year and good luck with your efforts.

@ounce wrote:Nancy, I saw online that a new 2018 Oregon law allows counties with populations less than 40K to pump your own gas!  Congratulations!  The story even had somebody from Bend and a couple of stations there commenting about it.  They mentioned their pumps don't have credit card swiping in them.  I guess that won't be cheap to remedy.
Marty will be the naggie (not really sure what the word is for the person who is getting nagged) not the nagger.  He'll eat whatever I prepare for him....and won't complain...much.  He will snack though.  I guess it's my goal and not his but he is supportive and won't intentionally undermine my efforts.

We've all enjoyed a good laugh over Janice's glee.  It's all in fun and it was her fastest time ever in competition.  She's had slightly faster training swims but has a tendency to struggle in competition.  I was happy to provide the motivation for a good swim.  She's a good friend and a good training partner.

I get the tiredness thing.  I've definitely lost fitness and it shows in my results and my level of tiredness but it is coming back quicker than I expected...but not quick enough for Fast Freddie.  I'm hoping that Fast Freddie is enjoying his time on Alita's shoulder and decides to stay there.  It's to cold for him over here and the trip over the mountain is treacherous this time of year.

Yes, we live in a county where we can now pump our own gas.  Not that I'm thrilled with the idea.  I don't mind if the stations and pumps are clean and they have a credit card swipe but I hate it when you get gas on your hands or shoes and when you have to go inside to pay.  Fortunately we normally fill up here on the farm...and the boys do it for me.  Yes, I'm spoiled.  It is going to be confusing for people when they cross back and forth from counties where it's allowed/not allowed.  It was already confusing for visitors who didn't realize they couldn't pump there own gas in
Oregon. 

Pilates and Aqua jogging yesterday.  Both were relatively easy yesterday as we all ease back into working out in the new year.  Katie attended both with me which was fun. Edited to add...I put my bike on the trainer and got in a nice easy 30 minutes of spinning last night as well.

Today was the first Total Body Conditioning class.  There are 6 of us registered.  Sara put us through a warm-up and then a circuit with a good range of upper body, lower body, balance stuff...  This was followed by some stretching.  I enjoyed it.  It's a nice group.  The exercises were challenging but doable for me.  It will get harder.  The class ran a few minutes over and then we had to change for Masters Swimming (Maura is in both as well.)  We ended up getting in the pool 15 minutes late but that's not a problem as we do the workout individually not as a group.  I chose to leave out a couple of the repeats cutting 250 yards from the workout.  I needed to be home for lunch and also didn't want to push to hard to quickly.  I ended up doing 1650 yards in decent times.  Not my fastest ever but under the circumstances very encouraging.  Oh...Marty and I did our core/strength workout this morning as well.

It will be interesting to see how this schedule works for me.  Can I handle it.  I feel OK now but expect some sore/tired muscles later today and tomorrow.

Maura and I have been taking about training plans for the Half Ironman.  She's signed up for Victoria as well.  Maura is 18 months younger than me and a much better athlete.  I have to be careful training with her as she thinks I'm more capable than I am...and you know...it's that Fast Freddie thing.  I do enjoy biking with her when it works and she is a very experienced bike rider that has a lot of knowledge to share.  Sara was planning to go to Victoria as well but family/work obligations may keep her from participating.  She's considering doing a closer race the same weekend so that she can still train with Maura and I.  Sara is young and fit so she's a great motivator with lots of skills to share but also not a viable workout partner for me. 

This is going to be an interesting journey...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm not criticizing, but why was Oregon one of 2 remaining states to forbid self pumping?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:32 am

@ounce wrote:I'm not criticizing, but why was Oregon one of 2 remaining states to forbid self pumping?

The actual reason? Not what they have in those silly memes and comments by fake outraged Oregonians going around?

Its because Oregonians by and large did not want to cause thousands of people to lose their gas-pumping jobs. They also remember the days of SERVICE stations when attendants checked oil and maybe even tire pressure. Also, many thought it unseemly for widowed little old ladies to be forced to get out and pump their own gas because there was no one else to help them do it. The current system works just fine, and low-skill people get a job. Why change it? (BTW, the gas prices in self-serve Washington and California tend to actually be HIGHER than Oregon, so the cost savings argument is baloney. It's cheaper in Oregon partly because they don't have a sales tax.)

Oh, and the change allowing self-service only applies to areas with under 40,000 population, so a lot of areas still have attendants.

And yes, I know that lots of people in other states are having a good laugh at Oregon, but I'd say a good number of people in Oregon think people in those other states are chumps for allowing the big oil companies to take away service and keep the price the same, cut labor costs and suck up more profits.

Last edited by Mark B on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:I'm not criticizing, but why was Oregon one of 2 remaining states to forbid self pumping?

The actual reason? Not what they have in those silly memes and comments by fake outraged Oregonians going around?

Its because Oregonians by and large did not want to cause thousands of people to lose their gas-pumping jobs. They also remember the days of SERVICE stations when attendants checked oil and maybe even tire pressure. Also, many thought it unseemly for widowed little old ladies to be forced to get out and pump their own gas because there was no one else to help them do it. The current system works just fine, and low-skill people get a job. Why change it? (BTW, the gas prices in self-serve Washington and California tend to actually be HIGHER than Oregon, so the cost savings argument is baloney. It's cheaper in Oregon partly because they don't have a sales tax.)

Oh, and the change allowing self-service only applies to areas with under 40,000 population, so a lot of areas still have attendants.

And yes, I know that lots of people in other states are having a good laugh at Oregon, but I'd say a good number of people in Oregon think people in those other states are chumps for allowing the big oil companies to take away service and keep the price the same, cut labor costs and suck up more profits.

+ 9 or 10  Mark explained it all very well!

I had an excellent visit with the PT on Thursday.  I'll return and post info in a bit...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Pilates, Aqua jogging and an easy 30 minute spin on the bike on Thursday.  I'm starting to feel stronger but I still tire a bit faster than normal.  I need to be cautious.

Friday I was busy helping with transportation for Gary's girls and we had freezing rain.  I managed to find time to swim but wasn't able to join the group.  I got in over 1750 yds...I lost count.  I worked on breathing on my weak side.  It's awkward and not very efficient!  Explanation below.

I had an excellent visit with the PT.  Brock worked on my plantar fasciitis back in 2009, put Marty back together when he shattered his arm just below the shoulder, and is an avid supporter of community events.  I wouldn't call him a friend but I definitely feel like we have a good, friendly relationship...more than just a professional relationship.

Brock said I was very strong and that I should be proud of how well balanced I was.  He was surprised that he didn't find some lingering overuse injury.  He said whatever I was doing to keep it up!  He especially encouraged me to continue doing Pilates...I do think Sara's Pilates class has helped with my core strength. 

The one issue that he noticed was an obvious imbalance in my neck muscles.  After ruling out an old injury we concluded that it was the result of always breathing on the same side while swimming.  So I guess I need to learn to breath on the other side.  He said to work on it in training but to do whatever I felt was most comfortable and efficient during competition.  They actually discourage alternate breathing during triathlon races as it limits your oxygen intake slightly.

He did give me some exercises to strengthen my glutes...at my request.  He also gave me some exercises to strengthen muscles that will be used as I increase training...especially on the bike as I haven't done as much biking as I will be doing.  A couple are also to deal with the posture/shoulder issues that crop up when putting in long hours on the bike.

So here's what I'll be trying to incorporate into my weekly routine.

• Goblet squat (with a kettle ball)
  • Another squat with the kettle ball...similar but not exactly the same.
  • Arabesque with a light kettle ball. That's hard...I had to practice without the weight before I could get the balance down.
  • Hamstring Curl with Stability Ball.
  • Single Leg Hamstring Curl with Stability Ball.
  • Bridge with alternate knee extension.
  • Single Leg Bridge with Stability Ball when able.  I do them from the floor now.  He said to gradually work my way up to the stability ball.  I'm starting on my foam roller.
  • Eccentric Calf Raises.
  • Eccentric Single Leg Squat on decline.  The decline encourages the knees to move in front of the toes...contrary to common thought I know.  He said this will strengthen the patellar tendon so that when I end up in a situation where I am stressing it (trail runs or on hills), it will be strong and healthy and able to withstand the stress.  He said to use caution and not do to many especially at first.
  • Bird Dog.  After a hard workout to help relax and get my body back into balance.
  • Chin Tuck/Retraction  This is to counteract all the hours looking up while biking.
  • Prone T on the Exercise Ball.  I already do Back Flys but he wants me to do them in 3 positions...with my arms forward, in a T, and arms backward.  Another one to help with all the time on the bike.

Some of these are similar to exercises that I'm already doing in my core/strength workout.  He thinks I should be adding a bit more weight...slowly...to challenge my body.  As I said several are more preventative than anything.  I just need to find time to fit everything in.  I probably won't add too much if anything to our regular workout while I'm doing Sara's Full Body Conditioning Class as I think we'll be hitting a lot of similar things based on what we did in the first class.  Once that ends...it runs through February...I'll try and alter my workout slightly to fit some of these in and still keep it within a reasonable time commitment.  If it runs too long Marty and I will be less likely to do it at all!  I may even need to put together two different workouts and alternate.

The other suggestion that Brock had was to walk for a couple minutes after every workout.  I mentioned that I always try and jog a one mile cool down.  He said to shorten the jogging portion enough to fit in a few minutes of walking without lengthening the time.  He thinks this allows you to kind of check out your body and see how you feel.  He said it's a time when he notices sore spots or niggles that are just starting and he can work them out before they become full on injuries.

He also warned me to be cautious of overtraining.  I seem to be hearing that a lot.  I hope I'm able to follow this advice.

My visit was very encouraging!  And he's encouraged me to stay in touch with questions and concerns before they develop into an injury.  I'm glad I took the time and spent the money to do this!

The sun is shining and it's 44 degrees.  I'm going to head out for an easy jog this afternoon.  I may have to drive to the pavement to avoid the mud.  The gravel road turns to mush after a hard freeze.

I know that I have a long way to go to get ready for a Half Ironman but I'm looking forward to the journey.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next