365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Mulligan...

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:38 pm

@Mark B wrote:I just carefully read your long post and account of your week.

All I can say is, can I be you when I grow up?

Seriously. I have never seen (or dreamed of) such a thoroughly well thiught-out plan for any sort of event. I guess that's what comes after thinking through so many years of farming. I am legitimately, honestly awed.

And to top it off, it sounds like a great plan! It plays to your strengths and is ambitious but realistic. I see no reason this plan won't work out wonderfully for you. I'm excited to see the pieces come together.

Thanks Mark.  The question is can I execute the plan and then will the stars align on race day?  I'm going to need to remember to be dedicated but flexible.  I'm nervous but excited!

***
Fri - Bike 11.5 to/from pool
     - Swim 2550 yds.  Tough workout.  Wasn't quite able to maintain the paces I wanted but I came close enough.

Sat - 6.5 w/3x1  Avg 8:58 HR 155/175  Up at 4:00 to bale.  Wasn't able to lace up my shoes till 10:00 and it was already warm 70-75 degrees with a very slight breeze.  Started this run cautiously with the knowledge that I could bunch it if necessary.  It actually went better than expected.  I did have to walk/jog my cool down as my HR wasn't recovering as quickly as I wanted

Sun - Looks like today is actually going to be a rest day.  Up early to bale but there wasn't enough dew so I did some odd chores in the yard/garden.  I should work in the office but...

***

So here's the plan.  It's in writing but not written in stone.

I started with the plan that Coach Cherie helped me put together in 2013 and then tweaked it a bit.  I'm now swimming 3 days a week instead of 2 and also have Pilates in the mix.  My marathon was the same week so she had shuffled training around the Todd Beamer 10K and the MAC Dash but I also have the triathlon coming up in 3 weeks.  It's a challenging plan complicated by the fact that we've got a lot of hay to put up in the next month and I still play a major role in that task.  FLEXIBLE

Intervals are Hanson style and include a 1 mile warm up and a 1 mile cool down.  I do them on the road to simulate race conditions so paces aren't as fast as they might be if I was doing them on the track.  Most of the rest is pretty self explanatory.



Two weeks down...18 to go...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Mission accomplished.

After a fairly normal week of training last week and the usual rest day on Sunday I started a one day taper for my 10K.  Monday was 2 miles easy with 4 x 30 second striders. 

10K on Tuesday went extremely well.  54:37 for a pace of 8:52.  The first 4 miles are downhill on gravel and include leaping over a cattle guard and dodging cow pies.  Kept my pace at a comfortable 9:00.  Picked up the speed a bit when I hit the pavement even though it was a slight incline.  Last mile was 8:32 and final sprint 7:41.  More importantly I felt good today and was able to jump right back into training.  Yes, I was a bit tired last night but no more than I normally am after a nice tempo run.  This event is an awesome community event in memory of a young man who drowned in the irrigation ditch while trying to save his dog 20 years ago.  His Dad, the local doctor in town, puts on the event in his memory and donates the proceeds to a scholarship fund.  This is what small communities are all about!

I chose not to bike to the pool today for several reasons.  I wanted to make sure I was fully recovered.  It was hot.  I was running late as I baled again this morning...and the morning of the race. Laughing    But the swim went very well!  I have an easy run in the training plan but if I'm still feeling this good and it isn't to hot when I get out there I may sneak in a bit of faster stuff...I'll wait and see.  If a one day taper worked then why not just one of day recovery?  I won't get to carried away.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Tim C on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....
Keep up the good work - it is motivating to read about your training!

Train smart and stay healthy...
avatar
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Posts : 560
Points : 3547
Join date : 2011-07-06
Age : 60
Location : Orange County, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:03 pm

@Tim C wrote:Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....
Keep up the good work - it is motivating to read about your training!

Train smart and stay healthy...

Thanks Tim.  I do enjoy the swimming...never thought I would but I do.  Partially because now I swim with a group and we have a coach.  Not only has it helped me start to transition into triathlons but I also find that it's a healthy recovery workout during marathon training.

Doing my best to train smart and stay healthy...

***

Thur - 5 mi @ 11:12  HR 143/160  I resisted the temptation to sneak in some up tempo miles and stuck with the 5 miles at an easy pace as written in the training plan.  I was after 11:00 and already over 75 degrees and shade was limited.  I'm doing better in the heat now that I'm off the beta blocker but I don't need to tempt fate! 

Fri - Swim 2650 yards.  Getting up at 4:00 am to bale is really taking it's toll.  As is sitting in a tractor for extended hours.  I wanted to get moving but didn't feel up to biking to the pool.  I intended to just make this a short easy swim but after the warm up I was starting to feel pretty good.  This was an endurance type workout with longer intervals.  The goal was to swim them faster as the workout progressed.  I had to work at it but I did pretty well until the last interval.  I bonked.  Tim's comment when I finally touched the wall was that it looked like I needed some caloric intake!  Oh well...I did it and I felt fine afterwards.  It was nice to get moving.

Sat - Bike 12 miles @ 15.8 mph HR 136/157  This bike ride went surprisingly well!  I had planned on a bike(20)/run(5) brick workout this morning but it got late and hot and I knew that running in that heat would not be a good option.  It's supposed to be considerably cooler and I shouldn't have to bale as long in the morning so I can get an earlier start.  I haven't biked all week so I decided to do a shorter bike ride today and then a slightly shorter brick workout tomorrow. 

We didn't have to get up until 5:00 this morning.  It's amazing how much better I felt after getting a full 8 hours of sleep!  Should get a full 8 hours again tonight. cheers

My triathlon is in two weeks...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:37 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@Tim C wrote:Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....
Keep up the good work - it is motivating to read about your training!

Train smart and stay healthy...

Thanks Tim.  I do enjoy the swimming...never thought I would but I do.  Partially because now I swim with a group and we have a coach.  Not only has it helped me start to transition into triathlons but I also find that it's a healthy recovery workout during marathon training.

Doing my best to train smart and stay healthy...

***

Thur - 5 mi @ 11:12  HR 143/160  I resisted the temptation to sneak in some up tempo miles and stuck with the 5 miles at an easy pace as written in the training plan.  I was after 11:00 and already over 75 degrees and shade was limited.  I'm doing better in the heat now that I'm off the beta blocker but I don't need to tempt fate! 

Fri - Swim 2650 yards.  Getting up at 4:00 am to bale is really taking it's toll.  As is sitting in a tractor for extended hours.  I wanted to get moving but didn't feel up to biking to the pool.  I intended to just make this a short easy swim but after the warm up I was starting to feel pretty good.  This was an endurance type workout with longer intervals.  The goal was to swim them faster as the workout progressed.  I had to work at it but I did pretty well until the last interval.  I bonked.  Tim's comment when I finally touched the wall was that it looked like I needed some caloric intake!  Oh well...I did it and I felt fine afterwards.  It was nice to get moving.

Sat - Bike 12 miles @ 15.8 mph HR 136/157  This bike ride went surprisingly well!  I had planned on a bike(20)/run(5) brick workout this morning but it got late and hot and I knew that running in that heat would not be a good option.  It's supposed to be considerably cooler and I shouldn't have to bale as long in the morning so I can get an earlier start.  I haven't biked all week so I decided to do a shorter bike ride today and then a slightly shorter brick workout tomorrow. 

We didn't have to get up until 5:00 this morning.  It's amazing how much better I felt after getting a full 8 hours of sleep!  Should get a full 8 hours again tonight. cheers

My triathlon is in two weeks...

Two weeks! You must be getting excited. You're training has been going great, and I think all the farmwork only makes you tougher.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7062
Points : 15123
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

@Mark B wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:
@Tim C wrote:Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....
Keep up the good work - it is motivating to read about your training!

Train smart and stay healthy...

Thanks Tim.  I do enjoy the swimming...never thought I would but I do.  Partially because now I swim with a group and we have a coach.  Not only has it helped me start to transition into triathlons but I also find that it's a healthy recovery workout during marathon training.

Doing my best to train smart and stay healthy...

***

Thur - 5 mi @ 11:12  HR 143/160  I resisted the temptation to sneak in some up tempo miles and stuck with the 5 miles at an easy pace as written in the training plan.  I was after 11:00 and already over 75 degrees and shade was limited.  I'm doing better in the heat now that I'm off the beta blocker but I don't need to tempt fate! 

Fri - Swim 2650 yards.  Getting up at 4:00 am to bale is really taking it's toll.  As is sitting in a tractor for extended hours.  I wanted to get moving but didn't feel up to biking to the pool.  I intended to just make this a short easy swim but after the warm up I was starting to feel pretty good.  This was an endurance type workout with longer intervals.  The goal was to swim them faster as the workout progressed.  I had to work at it but I did pretty well until the last interval.  I bonked.  Tim's comment when I finally touched the wall was that it looked like I needed some caloric intake!  Oh well...I did it and I felt fine afterwards.  It was nice to get moving.

Sat - Bike 12 miles @ 15.8 mph HR 136/157  This bike ride went surprisingly well!  I had planned on a bike(20)/run(5) brick workout this morning but it got late and hot and I knew that running in that heat would not be a good option.  It's supposed to be considerably cooler and I shouldn't have to bale as long in the morning so I can get an earlier start.  I haven't biked all week so I decided to do a shorter bike ride today and then a slightly shorter brick workout tomorrow. 

We didn't have to get up until 5:00 this morning.  It's amazing how much better I felt after getting a full 8 hours of sleep!  Should get a full 8 hours again tonight. cheers

My triathlon is in two weeks...

Two weeks! You must be getting excited. You're training has been going great, and I think all the farmwork only makes you tougher.

I am getting excited...and nervous.  It sounded like a great idea when I signed up.  And July 22nd seemed like such a long way off.  But yes, my training has gone well and it's kind of a nice break/distraction before I really jump into the really long marathon training runs.

Feeling slightly more rested after getting a few nights of 8 hours of sleep.  This morning I had a slight reprieve as we didn't bale which will give me time to get the bills paid and in the mail this morning.

My postponed brick workout went exceptionally well yesterday.  I was able to head out just before 9:00.  It was already 70 degrees and 76 by the time I finished but it was tolerable.  I ended up biking 12 miles @ 16.3 and then running 5 miles @ 9:42.  Very happy with those paces!  HR on the bike was 145.  HR on the run was 159.  My HR was a bit slow to recover...I'm sure the heat was the issue but it settled down once I cooled of and hydrated. 

I'll try and concentrate on getting a few good runs in this week which is going to be tough with our baling schedule but I'll do what I can.  I'll back off a bit next week...not a full taper but I don't want to go into the triathlon completely exhausted.

Payroll and bills is next on the agenda.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Looks like the training is going well.  I did my 2nd ever IM 70.3 this past weekend in Muncie, IN - so I can relate to tri training along with marathon training.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4718
Points : 10934
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  ounce on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:54 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:
@Tim C wrote:Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....
Keep up the good work - it is motivating to read about your training!

Train smart and stay healthy...

Thanks Tim.  I do enjoy the swimming...never thought I would but I do.  Partially because now I swim with a group and we have a coach.  Not only has it helped me start to transition into triathlons but I also find that it's a healthy recovery workout during marathon training.

Doing my best to train smart and stay healthy...

***

Thur - 5 mi @ 11:12  HR 143/160  I resisted the temptation to sneak in some up tempo miles and stuck with the 5 miles at an easy pace as written in the training plan.  I was after 11:00 and already over 75 degrees and shade was limited.  I'm doing better in the heat now that I'm off the beta blocker but I don't need to tempt fate! 

Fri - Swim 2650 yards.  Getting up at 4:00 am to bale is really taking it's toll.  As is sitting in a tractor for extended hours.  I wanted to get moving but didn't feel up to biking to the pool.  I intended to just make this a short easy swim but after the warm up I was starting to feel pretty good.  This was an endurance type workout with longer intervals.  The goal was to swim them faster as the workout progressed.  I had to work at it but I did pretty well until the last interval.  I bonked.  Tim's comment when I finally touched the wall was that it looked like I needed some caloric intake!  Oh well...I did it and I felt fine afterwards.  It was nice to get moving.

Sat - Bike 12 miles @ 15.8 mph HR 136/157  This bike ride went surprisingly well!  I had planned on a bike(20)/run(5) brick workout this morning but it got late and hot and I knew that running in that heat would not be a good option.  It's supposed to be considerably cooler and I shouldn't have to bale as long in the morning so I can get an earlier start.  I haven't biked all week so I decided to do a shorter bike ride today and then a slightly shorter brick workout tomorrow. 

We didn't have to get up until 5:00 this morning.  It's amazing how much better I felt after getting a full 8 hours of sleep!  Should get a full 8 hours again tonight. cheers

My triathlon is in two weeks...

Two weeks! You must be getting excited. You're training has been going great, and I think all the farmwork only makes you tougher.

I am getting excited...and nervous.  It sounded like a great idea when I signed up.  And July 22nd seemed like such a long way off.  But yes, my training has gone well and it's kind of a nice break/distraction before I really jump into the really long marathon training runs.

Feeling slightly more rested after getting a few nights of 8 hours of sleep.  This morning I had a slight reprieve as we didn't bale which will give me time to get the bills paid and in the mail this morning.

My postponed brick workout went exceptionally well yesterday.  I was able to head out just before 9:00.  It was already 70 degrees and 76 by the time I finished but it was tolerable.  I ended up biking 12 miles @ 16.3 and then running 5 miles @ 9:42.  Very happy with those paces!  HR on the bike was 145.  HR on the run was 159.  My HR was a bit slow to recover...I'm sure the heat was the issue but it settled down once I cooled of and hydrated. 

I'll try and concentrate on getting a few good runs in this week which is going to be tough with our baling schedule but I'll do what I can.  I'll back off a bit next week...not a full taper but I don't want to go into the triathlon completely exhausted.

Payroll and bills is next on the agenda.

Ultreya...
Isn't it refreshing what a few nights of 8 hours sleep can do!
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Looks like the training is going well.  I did my 2nd ever IM 70.3 this past weekend in Muncie, IN - so I can relate to tri training along with marathon training.
cheers
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4575
Points : 12604
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Looks like the training is going well.  I did my 2nd ever IM 70.3 this past weekend in Muncie, IN - so I can relate to tri training along with marathon training.

Michele, I just looked up your results at Muncie.  All I can say is WOW.  Huge improvement and you broke the 6 hour barrier by a huge margin.  I didn't look at the courses but I am impressed!  Much faster swim and run and your transitions were both quicker as well.  I can't imagine running a half like that after swimming and biking for 4 hours!  Actually I can't imagine running a half like that at all but never mind.

I'd love to read your race report if you post one...or give us a link to your blog. 

Any plans to ever try a full IM? 

As far as my training...yes it's going pretty well.  I'm happy with where I'm at right now.  I'm not planning to race hard at the triathlon on the 22nd.  I just want to experience an open water swim and a bit longer triathlon before I make a commitment to the IM 70.3 in Victoria next June. 

***
And, yes Doug, it's amazing how much better I feel when I can actually get my full 8 hours of sleep!  We probably have the two busiest weeks of the year coming up plus Natalie is struggling with her role as the Mom of three young boys and I'm trying to take the older boys for at least a few minutes each afternoon to give her a bit of a break.  Gary has been helping with the swathing that needs to be done at night...guess I'll have to behave and just compliment him when he wins the corn contest!  I've lined Katie up to help out this weekend so that I can get a long run in when it's not quite so hot.  She's also helping out while I'm at the triathlon. 

I'm a very lucky lady!!

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  ounce on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Good job, Grandma!

I guess swathing at night is better than the day or was that when Gary had the time?

Y'all are just a family of cogs and grease, all spinning in the direction that needs to occur for the whole unit. Approval
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4575
Points : 12604
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

@ounce wrote:Good job, Grandma!

I guess swathing at night is better than the day or was that when Gary had the time?

Y'all are just a family of cogs and grease, all spinning in the direction that needs to occur for the whole unit. Approval

Gary is doing the night swathing because that is when he has time but more importantly that is the hardest swathing.  I definitely can't do it.  Partially because it's dark and partially because it's for seed as opposed to hay...that's why it's done at night when there is a dew and the seed holds tight and doesn't fall to the ground.

Katie did help yesterday so I could get my long run in.  Very Happy

***

Busy does not even begin to describe the situation around here!!  But I have managed to get most of my training in.  Haven't been able to get to Pilates though.

Mon - Swim 2600 yards.  All fins...started to cramp but made it through.

Tues - 6.5 w/3 x 1 Avg 8:56  HR 158/173  Late start and it was getting hot so was very pleased with this run.

Wed - Swim 1900 yards  Very tough short sprint workout.  FUN

Thurs - Bike 30.6 mi on the scenic overlook.  To late and hot for a run so opted for a long bike instead.  I can make my own cooling breeze.

Fri - In the baler shortly after five.  Short break to pack lunches a do a couple things in the office that were due.  Swathed till 8:30.  Not much time for training...

Sat - 15.5 mi @ 11:15  HR 149/173 Boy did it feel good to run earlier when it wasn't quite so hot.  I baled till 6:00 and when Katie arrived I laced up the shoes and took off.  I was nervous after all the hours sitting in the tractor the day before...and the short sleep.  Run went much better than expected.

Sun - Hoped to sneak in a bike/run workout since I wasn't able to train on Friday.  Baling ran late and things were just to hectic and I wisely gave up on that idea and spent some time catching up around the house.  Peas are picked...I love fresh cream peas and potatoes this time of year.  We had a real sit down meal!  I've got 8 quarts of pickled beets cooling on the kitchen counter.  And I have time to catch up on a couple bills and end of quarter reports before bedtime.

Next week is going to be just as busy if not busier!  I'll taper slightly for my triathlon but I need to make sure I train a bit as sitting in the tractor for that long is not good!  And I need to try and get more sleep.  I do have Katie lined up to cover for me Friday while I travel to the valley for the event and Saturday during the race.  I'm trying hard not to let the stress get to me.  My HR has bounced around a bit but is OK.  This isn't a goal race...keep things in their proper perspective...

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 pm

@ounce wrote:

Y'all are just a family of cogs and grease, all spinning in the direction that needs to occur for the whole unit. Approval
 Well we got a few of the cogs jammed up this week!  We had visitors from Tasmania, Australia arrive and Katie got sick.  The visitors are farmers so Corey has actually been helping but we tend to stay up and talk so sleep as been even shorter!  Katie is feeling better so will be able to help for the race but wasn't able to help after work this week.

Ready or not here I go!  I got in the workouts that I needed to this week.  I'm a bit short of sleep and haven't eaten all that well but it is what it is.

I was chastised by both Maura and Sara for my hydration/nutrition plan.  I've never been comfortable drinking while on the bike.  My distances have always been short enough that I just drank at the beginning and end.  Or stopped on the really long rides as they were just for fun anyway.  I just planned to drink in the transitions.  They both said that would not work!  So during my final bike/run brick workout yesterday I found a good spot and just rode easy and practiced getting the water bottle out, taking a sip, and putting it back.  I still have to slow down and chose a safe spot but I do feel comfortable drinking while riding now.  I'll fill my bottle with Nuun and sip on that during the ride.  I'll supplement with water and GU at both transitions.  I may pack a couple S-caps as well as it's supposed to be warm.

Toni's husband is dropping her off after lunch and we're driving over this afternoon.  We'll pick up our packets, check out the course, and attend an information session before checking into our hotel.

I gave my bike a good cleaning this morning.  I have a lot of gear to organize and pack!  I hope I don't forget anything!!!!!

I'm very nervous, kind of excited, and know that all I have to do is finish and I'll have a PR.  That's the benefits of trying new things. Very Happy

I'm off....
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  ounce on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Good luck on your PR!  Maybe don't go all out, so you have some buffer to execute another PR!! Wink 

I can't speak to the riding while hydrating, but if you're not thirsty, then don't drink.  However, it's always good to learn something new.

Finish injury-free.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4575
Points : 12604
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Mark B on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Go-go-go! You're well prepared. You'll do great!

I'm not so sure about the "drink only when thirsty" rule after our trip to Elijah Bristow. I stopped sweating and STILL wasn't thirsty, just taking dainty little sips out of my water bottle, fearful of hyponatremia. Guess I overcompensated, and that probably didn't help my leg muscles as they were holding on for dear life. I told that to the PT I saw the other day, and she was horrified.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7062
Points : 15123
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  ounce on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm

@Mark B wrote:Go-go-go! You're well prepared. You'll do great!

I'm not so sure about the "drink only when thirsty" rule after our trip to Elijah Bristow. I stopped sweating and STILL wasn't thirsty, just taking dainty little sips out of my water bottle, fearful of hyponatremia. Guess I overcompensated, and that probably didn't help my leg muscles as they were holding on for dear life. I told that to the PT I saw the other day, and she was horrified.
Why don't you ask your PT what you should do about hydration!
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4575
Points : 12604
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement.

I had a really fun day!  It was warm...actually hot...and I had a couple rough spots but I'm very happy with my finish. 

3:06:22  33rd of 52 females  2nd in my age group...of 3 Very Happy

I need to work on my swim and my transitions.  I'll update more tomorrow if I have time.

It was fun.  I'm all in for a half IM next summer and I am absolutely hooked on triathlons.  But I still want to finish my marathon well!

Off to BBQ with our Australian visitors...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  ounce on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am

Woohoo!!  Very nice.  But, Mark, she's been assimilated into the Half IM collective!  pale  clown Seems like the "NASA eclipse people" are actually Half IM hive collectors. Suspect

I'll be interested to know how you have to do better on swimming, as it seems you're doing a lot on swimming.

What type of meats are served in barbecue up there?
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4575
Points : 12604
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Nothing wrong with half IMs at all.  Here's proof:

avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4718
Points : 10934
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards Today at 9:53 am




I think Michele looked much better during her event than I did even though mine was only half the distance.

Quick update...I felt pretty good on Sunday.  I was tired but fine.  Everything caught up with me on Monday.  I was exhausted and did not feel well at all.  In addition my right calf really tightened up.  I reluctantly took Monday and Tuesday completely off.  No training at all.  I worked on my calf a bit and then swam and biked yesterday but I did an easier, shorter workout.  I'm getting ready to head out and try an easy run this morning. 

Good news is that my resting HR has been a bit up and down but overall has been good.  And....where's the drum roll...I baled up the last of the bluegrass yesterday.  I've been baling essentially every day for over 3 weeks.  The alfalfa won't be ready for at least 10 days.  I'm looking forward to a few easier days on the farm.  We're really enjoying our Australian visitors.  This is fair week...the grandkids participate...so we're all enjoying the fair.  Our visitors leave early Sunday morning.  Maybe taking a recovery week this week is OK.

I'll provide more analysis of my race later...along with a report on how this morning's run goes.

Ultreya...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1816
Points : 6349
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mulligan...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum