365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails for Two

Page 39 of 39 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 37, 38, 39

Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:32 am

@nkrichards wrote:I knew you meant 100...and yes you can do it!!!!! Running

@ounce wrote:Personally, I thought he was on drugs.  But hey, go for it with all the gusto and hit a homer.  I know, it's not a running metaphor, but the Astros won the division, last night, so it was the best I could do.

We'll be here to spur you on from a distance and encourage you to get Alec to be a pacer! Approval

@nkrichards wrote:I would actually consider committing to spend some time cheering...volunteering...or even pacing if Mark ran!  It's close and not a bad time of year for me to sneak away for part of a day...

Hahahaaha! (Note frantic, maniacal edge to laughter) You guys are great!

I *did* mean 100, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't on drugs. Sleep deprivation after the late-night volunteer shift, maybe. 

Cheering, volunteering, crewing, pacing... all would be great, and are just a few of the logistics that'd need to be coordinated if I were to commit to The Year of Living Dangerously®️  A few of others? Let's see. Weight loss. Strength work. Nutrition problem solving. Gear selection and testing. And, oh yeah, training. That's going to be the trickiest part. My promotion at work jacked my hours into "normal" work hours, so I don't have big blocks of unsupervised time I was previously able to fill with running. Now, I'm pretty much going from 5 a.m. until 7 p.m. Clearly, to make this work, I'll have to figure something out. At least I have a year to get ready, right?

There's other scheduling complications to consider. One intermediate step on the way that could work out well is the Elijah Bristow 24 Hour Race, the FULL time period. Alita wants to do 50 miles in 24 hours (a very achievable goal), which would make a great extended training period and practice session for running in the dark for hours and hours. (Actually, we run in the dark a lot, but not on trails, so maybe it won't seem that weird.) BUT that race happens very close to the time to when Alec is graduating from high school, and obviously we can't skip out on graduation for a race... I suppose. Wink

This will definitely mean that Alita and I will have to go back to doing some of our runs separately. That's how we trained for the 12-hour at Elijah Bristow, and it worked out pretty well. So there are some possibilities there.

In truth, NEXT school year would be easier for me, at least, since I get Alita out the door at 5:50 a.m. and don't have to be to work until 9 a.m. Now, just enough of that time is filled with getting Alec ready for school to leave me very little time to run more than a couple of miles. But when he's off at college? I could easily sneak in a 90 minute run. So there's that.

Still, the inspiration isn't next year, it's now. So let's see where this takes us.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:I knew you meant 100...and yes you can do it!!!!! Running

@ounce wrote:Personally, I thought he was on drugs.  But hey, go for it with all the gusto and hit a homer.  I know, it's not a running metaphor, but the Astros won the division, last night, so it was the best I could do.

We'll be here to spur you on from a distance and encourage you to get Alec to be a pacer! Approval

@nkrichards wrote:I would actually consider committing to spend some time cheering...volunteering...or even pacing if Mark ran!  It's close and not a bad time of year for me to sneak away for part of a day...

Hahahaaha! (Note frantic, maniacal edge to laughter) You guys are great!

I *did* mean 100, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't on drugs. Sleep deprivation after the late-night volunteer shift, maybe. 

Cheering, volunteering, crewing, pacing... all would be great, and are just a few of the logistics that'd need to be coordinated if I were to commit to The Year of Living Dangerously®️  A few of others? Let's see. Weight loss. Strength work. Nutrition problem solving. Gear selection and testing. And, oh yeah, training. That's going to be the trickiest part. My promotion at work jacked my hours into "normal" work hours, so I don't have big blocks of unsupervised time I was previously able to fill with running. Now, I'm pretty much going from 5 a.m. until 7 p.m. Clearly, to make this work, I'll have to figure something out. At least I have a year to get ready, right?

There's other scheduling complications to consider. One intermediate step on the way that could work out well is the Elijah Bristow 24 Hour Race, the FULL time period. Alita wants to do 50 miles in 24 hours (a very achievable goal), which would make a great extended training period and practice session for running in the dark for hours and hours. (Actually, we run in the dark a lot, but not on trails, so maybe it won't seem that weird.) BUT that race happens very close to the time to when Alec is graduating from high school, and obviously we can't skip out on graduation for a race... I suppose. Wink

This will definitely mean that Alita and I will have to go back to doing some of our runs separately. That's how we trained for the 12-hour at Elijah Bristow, and it worked out pretty well. So there are some possibilities there.

In truth, NEXT school year would be easier for me, at least, since I get Alita out the door at 5:50 a.m. and don't have to be to work until 9 a.m. Now, just enough of that time is filled with getting Alec ready for school to leave me very little time to run more than a couple of miles. But when he's off at college? I could easily sneak in a 90 minute run. So there's that.

Still, the inspiration isn't next year, it's now. So let's see where this takes us.
I just took a look at the race course.  Wow...looks awesome.  I'm definitely interested in helping in any way I can if you end up deciding to commit.

Kids do tend to complicate life.  We found that once the kids were all out of the house we were able to sneak away for overnight horse camping trips and all kinds of fun things.  Then we got grandkids and we're stuck closer to home again.  Oh well...it's worth it.

It's exciting to hear you're looking forward and making plans that include running...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Truly a diabolical scheme.  Whipping you on!    Frustration
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile