365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 37 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Gratz (or you poor thing) on your sort of promotion.  And the new-to-you car.  I understand the Prius battery has something like a 100,000 mile useful life before replacement.  I'll let you search the price. Shocked  Anyway, good luck with it.  A Prius has been recommended to me, should my Malibu in hospice finally give up the ghost.  I hope the Ford doesn't get jealous.

I would bet your wayward journey will pay dividends, this weekend, by 'test drowning' the body last weekend.  Shrewd training plan.

Hey!  I have an idea for the first aftermarket purchase for the Prius

Trails for Two - Page 37 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5CHasMM5ckWI7QB81aYZEHfeRCUskO6bqRuuaG6nur2wsHmnP

Curb feelers and 20" Dubs!  Oh, yeah. Cool Cool Cool Cool

As luck would have it, the people who gave us the car are both electrical engineer types. So when the battery started giving the red triangle of death right after they offered the car to us, they took it up as a challenge to rehab the battery themselves. It took a few months, YouTube videos and probably plenty of cussing, but they got it done. Cost to us? Two beers. Gotta love family.

As for the job, thanks on both counts. Our editor is out this week, and a position for another subeditor remains open until we find a suitable candidate, so that means it's this inmate's job to run the asylum. Fun!

Those wheels and rims are the bomb. But what would the feelers do for wind resistance? It's all about the hypermiling, baby! Cool  
Glad you asked.  It's the same principle as the winglets on a 737.
Trails for Two - Page 37 2Q==
Winglets reduce wingtip vortices, the twin tornados formed by the difference between the pressure on the upper surface of an airplane's wing and that on the lower surface. High pressure on the lower surface creates a natural airflow that makes its way to the wingtip and curls upward around it.

Always great to have useful family members.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Gratz (or you poor thing) on your sort of promotion.  And the new-to-you car.  I understand the Prius battery has something like a 100,000 mile useful life before replacement.  I'll let you search the price. Shocked  Anyway, good luck with it.  A Prius has been recommended to me, should my Malibu in hospice finally give up the ghost.  I hope the Ford doesn't get jealous.

I would bet your wayward journey will pay dividends, this weekend, by 'test drowning' the body last weekend.  Shrewd training plan.

Hey!  I have an idea for the first aftermarket purchase for the Prius

Trails for Two - Page 37 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5CHasMM5ckWI7QB81aYZEHfeRCUskO6bqRuuaG6nur2wsHmnP

Curb feelers and 20" Dubs!  Oh, yeah. Cool Cool Cool Cool

As luck would have it, the people who gave us the car are both electrical engineer types. So when the battery started giving the red triangle of death right after they offered the car to us, they took it up as a challenge to rehab the battery themselves. It took a few months, YouTube videos and probably plenty of cussing, but they got it done. Cost to us? Two beers. Gotta love family.

As for the job, thanks on both counts. Our editor is out this week, and a position for another subeditor remains open until we find a suitable candidate, so that means it's this inmate's job to run the asylum. Fun!

Those wheels and rims are the bomb. But what would the feelers do for wind resistance? It's all about the hypermiling, baby! Cool  
Glad you asked.  It's the same principle as the winglets on a 737.
Trails for Two - Page 37 2Q==
Winglets reduce wingtip vortices, the twin tornados formed by the difference between the pressure on the upper surface of an airplane's wing and that on the lower surface. High pressure on the lower surface creates a natural airflow that makes its way to the wingtip and curls upward around it.

Always great to have useful family members.

Ah. Sure. Makes perfect sense! Suspect

We're mostly recovered from our run on Sunday - Alita's ankle flared up after the run, though her knee seems okay, though it gave her problems partway through the run itself. We are reconciled to the fact that we *might* not win this race. But we'll get it done.

One thing we'll definitely do differently this time (besides starting earlier and not taking a multi-mile detour) is make sure Alita has some mosquito repellent on. Not only was she eaten alive, she had a reaction to the bites, with each of them swelling up to the size of a nickel, or even a quarter -- with one or two the size of a half dollar. And the itch? Maddening. She's been taking Benadryl and doing epsom salt soaks all week, which has helped ease things a bit. This has never happened to her before, so it was quite a shock.

As for me, I've found a handful or two of bites on me, but I didn't get a reaction. It was all visual. "Oh! There's a bite there? And there? Huh. Interesting."

Needless to say, I haven't been talking much about that around the house...

Wish us luck! This is going to be a wild ride.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 pm

This race is going to take more than just luck.  It's going to take intestinal fortitude.  You're going to have to dig deep and gut this one out.  You'll both do fine.   Wink  And...good luck.

Looking promising for me to come say hi at the start.  Marty has decided that we all need some time off so we're only going to change irrigation water on Sunday.  We'll leave the combine and the balers parked for the day.  We (employees included) need a bit of time to mentally and physically reboot.  

Guess I better figure out where the starting line is...  Any hints as to where to park?  Will it be super crowded?

See you Sunday morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 pm

nkrichards wrote:This race is going to take more than just luck.  It's going to take intestinal fortitude.  You're going to have to dig deep and gut this one out.  You'll both do fine.   Wink  And...good luck.

Looking promising for me to come say hi at the start.  Marty has decided that we all need some time off so we're only going to change irrigation water on Sunday.  We'll leave the combine and the balers parked for the day.  We (employees included) need a bit of time to mentally and physically reboot.  

Guess I better figure out where the starting line is...  Any hints as to where to park?  Will it be super crowded?

See you Sunday morning...

I think it's also going to take visions of cool beverages waiting for us at the end. sunny

Hopefully it won't be too....

Sweaty

But yeah. Glad the 25K starts at 8 a.m., even though it means leaving home at 5 to drive up there. Oh well.

HOW TO GET THERE:

The Start/Finish is at the Clackamas Lake Historic Ranger Station, near Timothy Lake, and approximately 20 miles south of Mt. Hood.

From Madras, take U.S. Highway 26 west toward Portland. Turn left at NF Road 42, also marked as Skyline Road. It's the main road to Timothy Lake, and it's close to Milepost 66, they say. The Clackamas Ranger Station is 10 miles down FR-42, 1/4 mile past the FR-42/FR-57 intersection on FR-42.

Parking is allowed off road on portions of Forest Service Road 42 (FS42) near the Clackamas Lake Historic Ranger Compound (Start/Finish).  Signs will be posted and volunteers will help direct you.  No parking is allowed on on either side of FS42 at the Pacific Crest Trailhead adjacent to Joe Graham Campground.  No parking is allowed on either side of FS 42 from the event entrance to Joe Graham Campground.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Again, our race starts at 8 a.m. The 50K starts at 8:30 a.m. Get there early for the best seats!

And yes, I am finally starting to get antsy about this. The forecast high tomorrow up there is 89, according to the NWS. It'll be about 60 when the race starts, but it'll be 80 by 11 a.m. Yipes!

Trails for Two - Page 37 Screen10

Maybe the breeze caused by the fluttering of mosquito wings will keep us cool.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm

They're not exactly Speedy Gonzalez on posting results.  Well, I'll just figure you came in 2nd until told otherwise (shouldn't be a big guess who finishes first).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 pm

First off, and most importantly, we finished.

Our finishing time was 5 hours, 15 minutes. I finished a second ahead of Alita, since she very much wanted the honor of being DFL. (Dead freaking last.) Ironically, I came in 8th in my age group... out of 8 runners, of course.

This was a difficult race capping off what has been a difficult year. What we thought/hoped was Alita's seasonal affective disorder appears to have actually been full-on depression. It's been hard for her to do anything. But she did not want this thing to keep her from achieving this one long-sought-goal, even though it was an admittedly unwise idea, given our lack of training. Sometimes, you have to do the stupid thing and hope it helps.

It almost blew up in our faces. Our run last week tweaked Alita's ankle and knee. She took many epsom salt baths and rested as much as she could last week. I got some KT tape to help with the ankle, and we had a knee brace to help stabilize things hopefully.

Except she rolled her ankle in the first mile and shifted her weight awkwardly onto her bad knee. She felt a pop. Two miles later, she tripped and her knee gave way underneath her, and she fell. With 12 miles to go, she had to walk sideways down hills, with pain constantly at about a 4, with spikes to a 6 from time to time. She could sort of run, with pain, on flats and easy uphills. Roots and rocks were troublesome.

There were lots of roots and rocks. But Alita did not want to stop. She didn't want depression to win. Today, it didn't.

One additional complication: This ended up being one of the hottest days so far this year, as you can see by this temperature progression from the closest National Weather Service observation station I could find to the race course:

7 a.m. - 66 degrees when we arrived (nice)
8 a.m - 75 degrees when the race started
9 a.m. - 81 degrees
10 a.m. - 85 degrees
11 a.m. - 88 degrees
noon - 90 degrees
1 p.m. - 90 degrees about when we fiinished
(The temperature near the course there peaked after we left for home at 93 degrees. Down in the metro area, it hit 102 near our house. It's still hovering around 100 as I type this.)

After all, we didn't want it to be easy, did we?

We managed to jog a good way around the lake that's the centerpiece of the event, but the last four miles were rough. Rooty, rocky, more or less constantly uphill or downhill and extremely hot in the sun. We did our best to stay hydrated, but it was a challenge. We were both hurting in that last segment. We were very glad to be done so we could give the finger to depression. Screw you. You couldn't destroy this. Alita wins this round.

Now we'll recover and figure out how we can make things better.

Thanks for reading. It means a lot.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Mark B wrote:First off, and most importantly, we finished.

Our finishing time was 5 hours, 15 minutes. I finished a second ahead of Alita, since she very much wanted the honor of being DFL. (Dead freaking last.) Ironically, I came in 8th in my age group... out of 8 runners, of course.

This was a difficult race capping off what has been a difficult year. What we thought/hoped was Alita's seasonal affective disorder appears to have actually been full-on depression. It's been hard for her to do anything. But she did not want this thing to keep her from achieving this one long-sought-goal, even though it was an admittedly unwise idea, given our lack of training. Sometimes, you have to do the stupid thing and hope it helps.

It almost blew up in our faces. Our run last week tweaked Alita's ankle and knee. She took many epsom salt baths and rested as much as she could last week. I got some KT tape to help with the ankle, and we had a knee brace to help stabilize things hopefully.

Except she rolled her ankle in the first mile and shifted her weight awkwardly onto her bad knee. She felt a pop. Two miles later, she tripped and her knee gave way underneath her, and she fell.  With 12 miles to go, she had to walk sideways down hills, with pain constantly at about a 4, with spikes to a 6 from time to time. She could sort of run, with pain, on flats and easy uphills. Roots and rocks were troublesome.

There were lots of roots and rocks. But Alita did not want to stop. She didn't want depression to win. Today, it didn't.

One additional complication: This ended up being one of the hottest days so far this year, as you can see by this temperature progression from the closest National Weather Service observation station I could find to the race course:

7 a.m. - 66 degrees when we arrived (nice)
8 a.m - 75 degrees when the race started
9 a.m. - 81 degrees
10 a.m. - 85 degrees
11 a.m. - 88 degrees
noon - 90 degrees
1 p.m. - 90 degrees about when we fiinished
(The temperature near the course there peaked after we left for home at 93 degrees. Down in the metro area, it hit 102 near our house. It's still hovering around 100 as I type this.)

After all, we didn't want it to be easy, did we?

We managed to jog a good way around the lake that's the centerpiece of the event, but the last four miles were rough. Rooty, rocky, more or less constantly uphill or downhill and extremely hot in the sun. We did our best to stay hydrated, but it was a challenge. We were both hurting in that last segment. We were very glad to be done so we could give the finger to depression. Screw you. You couldn't destroy this. Alita wins this round.

Now we'll recover and figure out how we can make things better.

Thanks for reading. It means a lot.

Congrats on a gutsy finish.  Alita is one tough lady!  I'm sure she'll sort this out soon.  She's to determined not to!  

It was a cooker today.  Hope you and Alita found a place to cool off and relax once the race was over.  

Sorry I wasn't able to make it to the start...maybe next year(?)

Take care...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 am

ounce wrote:They're not exactly Speedy Gonzalez on posting results.  Well, I'll just figure you came in 2nd until told otherwise (shouldn't be a big guess who finishes first).
Still no results posted!  I'm curious how Dr. Beckerman and his wife did in the 50k.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:41 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:They're not exactly Speedy Gonzalez on posting results.  Well, I'll just figure you came in 2nd until told otherwise (shouldn't be a big guess who finishes first).
Still no results posted!  I'm curious how Dr. Beckerman and his wife did in the 50k.

Results are posted now.

James Beckerman: 7:23:09
Stacie Beckerman: 7:23:11

They were 113 and 114 out of 131 total runners. That means they were out there for the hottest part of the day. That was probably not the most fun they've ever had.

We both felt like garbage for a day or two after the race, and Alita's ankle flared up. Her knee wasn't exactly happy, either. Both problem spots seem to be resolving themselves, though, and she's going to test things out with a walk today. I went for a walk a couple of days ago, and it wasn't too bad. Hopefully we can get moving again soon.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Results are posted now.

James Beckerman: 7:23:09
Stacie Beckerman: 7:23:11

They were 113 and 114 out of 131 total runners. That means they were out there for the hottest part of the day. That was probably not the most fun they've ever had.

We both felt like garbage for a day or two after the race, and Alita's ankle flared up. Her knee wasn't exactly happy, either. Both problem spots seem to be resolving themselves, though, and she's going to test things out with a walk today. I went for a walk a couple of days ago, and it wasn't too bad. Hopefully we can get moving again soon.
Looks like Dr. Beckerman was not as chivalrous as you.

Yeah, heat is a pain, both literally and figuratively.  I guess y'all were inside that High pressure system that humored much of the nation?  Yesterday, it was 108 in Dallas.  Broke a 93 year old record.  Down in these parts, if Dallas breaks a record in the summer, it's really hot.

I'm glad y'all are on the mend.  Are y'alls brains going to heal as fast?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:22 am

High fives to Alita (and to you) for slaying the dragon. That's a right proper trail race. No fun if you're hobbled (ankle, knee, etc.). You stayed the course. That took true grit. Heal well. Keep on keeping on.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:15 pm

I send my congrats here as well.  Gutsy and one I'll never attempt as that trail running is way too hard for this girl.  Recover well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 pm

ounce wrote:Looks like Dr. Beckerman was not as chivalrous as you.

Yeah, heat is a pain, both literally and figuratively.  I guess y'all were inside that High pressure system that humored much of the nation?  Yesterday, it was 108 in Dallas.  Broke a 93 year old record.  Down in these parts, if Dallas breaks a record in the summer, it's really hot.

I'm glad y'all are on the mend.  Are y'alls brains going to heal as fast?

Yup. It was hot. We had couple of cooler days, but now we're back in the oven. We're expecting mid-90s for the rest of the week and up to 98 on Sunday before it cools down into the upper 80s. Unusual to have such an extended hot spell. And two of them so close together? Very unusual.

We're healing up pretty well now. We're going to attempt a short easy run early tomorrow morning before it gets hot. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

KBFitz wrote:High fives to Alita (and to you) for slaying the dragon. That's a right proper trail race. No fun if you're hobbled (ankle, knee, etc.). You stayed the course. That took true grit. Heal well. Keep on keeping on.

Thanks, Kevin! It's a very nice course, a bit technical but mostly runnable. I bet the runners with no injuries and better preparation had a ball.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I send my congrats here as well.  Gutsy and one I'll never attempt as that trail running is way too hard for this girl.  Recover well.

Thanks, Michele! We may be done with Mount Hood's trails for now. We need to explore other places. Onward!

Last edited by Mark B on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:18 pm

We worked on building a little trail karma this past weekend, though we didn't set out to do it.

Alec needs to do service hours as part of his high school honors degree program, and we were set to drop him off at a local environmental education center and head off for brunch when the volunteer manager treated us like we were volunteering, too. Uh. Er. Um. Well, this was awkward. So we signed up on the spot.

What we ended up doing was 3 hours of hauling bark chips for a nature trail in the center. Actually, Alita and I did the hauling. Alec did the spreading. We had others helping, as well, and we managed to do about a quarter mile of trail. I logged 5.2 miles, half of those pushing a wheelbarrow uphill. It was a great workout -- my arms are still sore -- and Alita and I were both salty with sweat afterward. (Didn't lick Alec, so I can't speak for him.)

After that, we decided to max out the karma for the day and go donate blood. We almost had Alec talked into it, but he decided against it this time. But I think we'll get him to do it eventually. We donated whole blood, which avoided the whole bureaucratic rules of platelets and got us in and out of there quickly.

It felt good.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 am

Glad to hear that you're recovering well and getting back to normal(?) life.  I guess volunteering and donating blood are normal...

Yes...it is HOT isn't it!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 am

Low HR Run: 1.5 miles with Alita

Weather: Clear, mild. Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

Up early to see if we can get moving again, testing our damage from the 25K. We did a bit of running, with some walking breaks, as we tried to assess how we're doing.

The upshot: We have a bit of rehab work to do. Still, it was nice to be out. It's going to get hot today, but early morning in the summer in this part of the country is delightful, even in a heat wave. Hope we'll be able to make this a habit for the rest of the summer.

Average HR for entire run: 104

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 am

nkrichards wrote:Glad to hear that you're recovering well and getting back to normal(?) life.  I guess volunteering and donating blood are normal...

Yes...it is HOT isn't it!

Well, it may not be normal, but it's nice to do something for somebody else.

And yes, hot. Hope we don't explode in fires this summer, but it doesn't bode well.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:16 am

Low HR Run: 1.53 miles with Alita

Weather: Clear, cool. 62° Gear: Topos

Alita felt better yesterday after our morning run, so she asked to do it again today.

We followed the same route and routine. A five-minute walking warm-up then breaking in to a gentle run (about a 12/mi pace) until she could start to feel her knee start to complain. Then we walked until it settled down, then repeated the cycle. We had two walking breaks, which is fewer than yesterday. I call that progress.

My body is still a bit creaky, too, so this is a good routine for now. The fact that we're down on red blood cells hasn't had a big impact on our running or my HR, but it does feel like we're running at altitude.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 111

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Low HR Run-Walk: About 1.5 miles with Alita

Weather: Clear, mild. About 60° Gear: Topos

Not the greatest run. I forgot to start the Garmin until we were about 5 minutes in, we were tired, and our heart really wasn't in it. Also, some aches and pains cropped up, as well. So we ended up walking a bit more.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Guess you'll have to find a trail for a Fall/Spring race.  Had Mt Hood been that warm 10 years ago?

It was interesting to me that Wa St's short nickname is 'Cougs.'  Houston has its own Cougars at the U of H, except their short nickname is 'Coogs.'  At least at a bowl game or regular season game, it'd be easy to tell who is rooting for who.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:46 pm

ounce wrote:Guess you'll have to find a trail for a Fall/Spring race.  Had Mt Hood been that warm 10 years ago?

It was interesting to me that Wa St's short nickname is 'Cougs.'  Houston has its own Cougars at the U of H, except their short nickname is 'Coogs.'  At least at a bowl game or regular season game, it'd be easy to tell who is rooting for who.

We'll see about the fall. We're still rehabbing a bit from knee tweaks.

Mount Hood can get warm, but that was warmer than usual. I think it got up to near 80 when I did my 50-miler, but that's a lot cooler than 90+

As far as the Cougs go, they share the Ducks' innate and totally justified hatred of the Washington Huskies. The enemy of my enemy is my friend! As my boss (a Coug) said right after he hired me, "Anybody who hates the Huskies as much as you guys do can't be all bad." Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Low HR Run: 1.54 miles with Alita

Weather: Sunny and warm: 84° Gear: Topos

We decided to head out for a short run this afternoon while Alec was having a driving lesson. (How's that for faith that he won't run us over, eh?) We ended up going faster than previously, and felt it, even though my HR didn't climb all that much. Come on red blood cells, regenerate!

We didn't need to walk, though I did slow down a lot at one point to catch our breath. Minimal niggles.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 120

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:59 pm

We have a grand daughter that is already practicing her driving (on the farm) and will be on the road next summer!  

Good to hear that you're both out and about a bit.  Summer schedules don't make it easy.  This heat is also tough on training plans!!  We had a couple cooler days but it's going to be 105 again this week!  UGH

Hope you're both healing up well...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi Nancy! Alita is feeling fewer and fewer niggles with her knee and ankle. She wants to try extending the distance a little starting next week.

We're able to run first thing in the morning now, which means nice cool temps, but it's rough getting out bed sometimes. We're too far removed from the farmer's life, I guess! That afternoon run was warm but enjoyable. Once I'm acclimated to it, heat doesn't bother me all that much. (Before I'm acclimated, though, it's like kryptonite.) I ran for years in Northern California summers and was fine even up into the 90s, as long as I didn't have the sun beating down on me.

105, however, would be way too hot. I'm in awe of the people who deal with those temps running the Western States 100. Crazy. And let's not even get started on Badwater, where you're running on Hell's roof. affraid

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Mark B wrote:Hi Nancy! Alita is feeling fewer and fewer niggles with her knee and ankle. She wants to try extending the distance a little starting next week.

We're able to run first thing in the morning now, which means nice cool temps, but it's rough getting out bed sometimes. We're too far removed from the farmer's life, I guess! That afternoon run was warm but enjoyable. Once I'm acclimated to it, heat doesn't bother me all that much. (Before I'm acclimated, though, it's like kryptonite.) I ran for years in Northern California summers and was fine even up into the 90s, as long as I didn't have the sun beating down on me.

105, however, would be way too hot. I'm in awe of the people who deal with those temps running the Western States 100. Crazy. And let's not even get started on Badwater, where you're running on Hell's roof. affraid
Update on the weather forecast.  Flame 

Tue - 102
Wed - 108  affraid is right!  
Thur - 107
Fri - 93
Sat - 83  Running Race day...what's the chances it will actually cool off that much?

Hope your weather isn't as extreme as ours!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next