365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails for Two

Page 25 of 29 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:07 am

Rehab Run with Alita: 1.76 miles

Weather: Between rain showers, 46° Gear: Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket (unzipped), hat, gloves.

Up to six reps of one minute walking, one minute running now after the 10 minute walking warm up. Still no ill effects.

It was a bit warmer than the last time and we were slightly overdressed.

I'm fighting off an annoying cold-like thing, but it didn't give me any trouble.

No HR strap used.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 am

@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Well, this woke me up...

1) Arabesques, 3 x15 each leg (still very difficult, but my body *might* be starting to figure it out)
2) Side lunges, 3 x 20 each side
3) Clamshells, 3 x  50 each side, slowly! 
4) Swiss curls on ball, 3 x 30
5) Hands and knees leg lift, 3 x 50 each side. (I only did 30 last time. Boy can I feel it in my abs!)
6) Side leg lifts, 3 x 50 each side

Just out of curiosity...how long does it take to complete that workout?  I was thinking that you were taking time off from training but now I'm wondering if you're actually investing more time with rehab than I'm investing in marathon training!

And what happens when you're released to run freely? Will these exercises go in the round file?  Will you continue do so some for maintenance?  I can't imagine finding time to run and do these.

It takes about 45-50 minutes at this point, and I've come to realize that this is a WORKOUT. My heart rate is elevated, my breathing is harder, and I usually finish up the whole session pretty much soaked with sweat. It does seem to be helping, though.

I am trying to do these sessions about 3 times a week (every other day) now, though I've done a couple of days without sometimes. I'll ask my PT how often I should do this as a maintenance thing once I'm back to running regularly. I've already been told that I probably need to keep doing these pretty much forever, so I can't imagine she'll release me from them completely. I could imagine alternating these with running. It'd probably help me over the long run.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Tuesday at The Blood Center, I asked a lady that's been sticking people for many years about your heart flutter with tums.  She's seen it a few times.  She asked how your tech responded and I told her the process was stopped immediately.  She said, "That was good."

She suggested that you drink milk about 2 hours before your next donation and don't scarf the tums.  Maybe 1 or 2 at the start.  I would further suggest that you find a good 90 minute to 2 hour show and immerse yourself into it, while squeezing the ball.  Or podcasts.  Or a book.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 pm

@ounce wrote:Tuesday at The Blood Center, I asked a lady that's been sticking people for many years about your heart flutter with tums.  She's seen it a few times.  She asked how your tech responded and I told her the process was stopped immediately.  She said, "That was good."

She suggested that you drink milk about 2 hours before your next donation and don't scarf the tums.  Maybe 1 or 2 at the start.  I would further suggest that you find a good 90 minute to 2 hour show and immerse yourself into it, while squeezing the ball.  Or podcasts.  Or a book.

Very interesting. And a little unsettling, to tell you the truth. 

I will try it again, and tank up on calcium beforehand -- but I checked the calcium supplement I take every day, and it's 100% of the RDA already, so it's not like I'm deficient. Still, if it's an excuse to get a milkshake, who am I to argue? 

Of course, the flutter wasn't caused by the tums, but by the lower calcium levels in my blood, presumably caused by the citrate. I actually only had a few of them at first. I didn't chomp the other 10 until the tingling and fluttering was going strong.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 pm

I was sidelined with a nasty head cold for a couple of days, but I was feeling good enough to run today. 

Rehab Run with Alita: 1.91 miles

Weather: Clear and cool. About 53° Gear: Topos, shorts, T. 

The last run in Step 1: 10 minute walking warm-up, then alternating 1 minute run, 1 minute walk for seven sets. It felt fine, so next week we progress to Step 2. Woot! More running!

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am

Rehab Run with Alita: 1.5 miles

Weather: Starry, about 39° Gear: Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat. 

Up at 4 a.m. again. (This seems to be working well for us so far.) 

Step 2 of the rehab process is 10 minutes walking warm-up, 2-3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, starting at three sets and adding a set each run. We went conservative and did only 2 minutes running. That went well, so we may try it at 3 minutes running in our next allowed run on Wednesday. 

Over the weekend, we sprung for a headlamp for Alita. It's a nice one, and it has a narrower beam than mine. And it's BRIGHT! Holy cow. With her behind me, it's not *quite* like it looks I'm about to be run down by a car, but it's close. (Yes, I have headlamp envy. Or my headlamp needs new batteries...)



Still no HR strap at this point.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 am

@Mark B wrote:Rehab Run with Alita: 1.5 miles

Weather: Starry, about 39° Gear: Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat. 

Up at 4 a.m. again. (This seems to be working well for us so far.) 

Step 2 of the rehab process is 10 minutes walking warm-up, 2-3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, starting at three sets and adding a set each run. We went conservative and did only 2 minutes running. That went well, so we may try it at 3 minutes running in our next allowed run on Wednesday. 

Over the weekend, we sprung for a headlamp for Alita. It's a nice one, and it has a narrower beam than mine. And it's BRIGHT! Holy cow. With her behind me, it's not *quite* like it looks I'm about to be run down by a car, but it's close. (Yes, I have headlamp envy. Or my headlamp needs new batteries...)



Still no HR strap at this point.

You deserve a new headlamp after all the PT exercises you've done...especially if you're committed to getting up at 4am!
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6890
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:10 pm

@nkrichards wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Rehab Run with Alita: 1.5 miles

Weather: Starry, about 39° Gear: Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat. 

Up at 4 a.m. again. (This seems to be working well for us so far.) 

Step 2 of the rehab process is 10 minutes walking warm-up, 2-3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, starting at three sets and adding a set each run. We went conservative and did only 2 minutes running. That went well, so we may try it at 3 minutes running in our next allowed run on Wednesday. 

Over the weekend, we sprung for a headlamp for Alita. It's a nice one, and it has a narrower beam than mine. And it's BRIGHT! Holy cow. With her behind me, it's not *quite* like it looks I'm about to be run down by a car, but it's close. (Yes, I have headlamp envy. Or my headlamp needs new batteries...)



Still no HR strap at this point.

You deserve a new headlamp after all the PT exercises you've done...especially if you're committed to getting up at 4am!

I like the way you think! (Though I'll probably still just buy fresh batteries.)

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 am

Well, y'all have the best of both worlds.  One piercing 'hi-beam' lamp for distance and one 'low beam' headlamp to light a wider distance.

Luckily, my routes either have normal street lights lining the road or enough light to give me the difference in grade in shadow form.

(Have we noticed that Mark has that same "Mark for Congress!" smile on each picture being shot?  I even think it's the same smile when that tree root jumped out grabbed his foot at Mt. Hood! just sayin')
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:27 pm

@ounce wrote:Well, y'all have the best of both worlds.  One piercing 'hi-beam' lamp for distance and one 'low beam' headlamp to light a wider distance.

Luckily, my routes either have normal street lights lining the road or enough light to give me the difference in grade in shadow form.

(Have we noticed that Mark has that same "Mark for Congress!" smile on each picture being shot?  I even think it's the same smile when that tree root jumped out grabbed his foot at Mt. Hood! just sayin')

I'm sure it'll work just fine. If not, well, my birthday is coming up...

The lights are less for general seeing where you're going most of the time -- though I've found them vitally important when the headlights from an incoming car shut down the night vision and leave you unable to see anything. Then, the supplemental light is a godsend. Makes it easier for drivers to see you coming, too.

And thanks on the smile. I think I perfected it two days after my 16th birthday when I got my driver's license. Very Happy

As far as politics go, I appreciate your support, and I'm sure that working together, we can help this great nation live up to the promise of those who sacrificed so much for generations they'd never know. So is it with us, as we press on with our great, centuries-old experiment of self-governance, keeping the dream of freedom and justice for all alive for the generations we, too, shall never meet. You make it possible. Suspect


Last edited by Mark B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Okay... back to reality, shall we?

PT day.

1) Arabesques, 3 x20 each leg (must. engage. glutes!)
2) Side lunges, 3 x 20 each side
3) Swiss curls on ball, 3 x 30 
4) Clamshells, 3 x  50 each side, slowly!
5) Hands and knees leg lift, 3 x 50 each side. (I only did 30 last time. Boy can I feel it in my abs!)
6) Side leg lifts, 3 x 50 each side

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Tuesday at The Blood Center, I asked a lady that's been sticking people for many years about your heart flutter with tums.  She's seen it a few times.  She asked how your tech responded and I told her the process was stopped immediately.  She said, "That was good."

She suggested that you drink milk about 2 hours before your next donation and don't scarf the tums.  Maybe 1 or 2 at the start.  I would further suggest that you find a good 90 minute to 2 hour show and immerse yourself into it, while squeezing the ball.  Or podcasts.  Or a book.

Very interesting. And a little unsettling, to tell you the truth. 

I will try it again, and tank up on calcium beforehand -- but I checked the calcium supplement I take every day, and it's 100% of the RDA already, so it's not like I'm deficient. Still, if it's an excuse to get a milkshake, who am I to argue? 

Of course, the flutter wasn't caused by the tums, but by the lower calcium levels in my blood, presumably caused by the citrate. I actually only had a few of them at first. I didn't chomp the other 10 until the tingling and fluttering was going strong.
You point-counterpointed your calcium level.  On the one hand, you take a 100% RDA pill and think you're not deficient.  On the other hand you say you have lower calcium levels, maybe caused by the citrate.

So, you, yourself, possibly need a higher calcium intake on a daily basis because you need more for whatever reason (probably because of being a feline owner) plus you need a loading dose of calcium via a milkshake 2 hours prior to donation.  In your predicament, I'd add another milkshake during the donation juuuuuuuuuuust to make sure. Approval
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm

I read the investigative article you posted to FB a couple of days ago.  Yes, I actually read it, but I have a few questions about it.

1.  I didn't see (or notice) how far along the environmental study for the terminal was.  Has it started, how long does it take, and does a final study submission give the Board the authority to like or spike the results, thereby continue to the next step or nix the terminal?
2.  Is there enough opposition to nix the terminal and why, aside from a spill?
3.  Is there a market for the terminal or are there enough terminals around to where a song and dance has to be included to drum up business for the terminal?
4.  Are jobs needed in the area of the terminal?
5.  Does Oregon have any say in the construction and use of the terminal?
6.  When could construction begin?
7.  Will local governments give tax abatements for the terminal?

I won't ask if opponents would sue to keep it from being built, because I think that's a given.

Moochus graceeus.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:06 pm

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Tuesday at The Blood Center, I asked a lady that's been sticking people for many years about your heart flutter with tums.  She's seen it a few times.  She asked how your tech responded and I told her the process was stopped immediately.  She said, "That was good."

She suggested that you drink milk about 2 hours before your next donation and don't scarf the tums.  Maybe 1 or 2 at the start.  I would further suggest that you find a good 90 minute to 2 hour show and immerse yourself into it, while squeezing the ball.  Or podcasts.  Or a book.

Very interesting. And a little unsettling, to tell you the truth. 

I will try it again, and tank up on calcium beforehand -- but I checked the calcium supplement I take every day, and it's 100% of the RDA already, so it's not like I'm deficient. Still, if it's an excuse to get a milkshake, who am I to argue? 

Of course, the flutter wasn't caused by the tums, but by the lower calcium levels in my blood, presumably caused by the citrate. I actually only had a few of them at first. I didn't chomp the other 10 until the tingling and fluttering was going strong.
You point-counterpointed your calcium level.  On the one hand, you take a 100% RDA pill and think you're not deficient.  On the other hand you say you have lower calcium levels, maybe caused by the citrate.

So, you, yourself, possibly need a higher calcium intake on a daily basis because you need more for whatever reason (probably because of being a feline owner) plus you need a loading dose of calcium via a milkshake 2 hours prior to donation.  In your predicament, I'd add another milkshake during the donation juuuuuuuuuuust to make sure. Approval

I think I forgot to mention that, while taking that supplement, I did a routine blood test a few months ago and tested right down the middle of normal for blood calcium levels. That leads me to suspect that my body might react more vigorously than others to the citrate, which binds with calcium in the bloodstream, thus making it unavailable for use by the muscles throughout the body.

Regardless, I agree. Upping my calcium intake probably wouldn't be a bad idea in general, and goodness knows that 2-3 milkshakes before, during and after a donation certainly couldn't hurt! Approval

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:30 pm

@ounce wrote:I read the investigative article you posted to FB a couple of days ago.  Yes, I actually read it, but I have a few questions about it.

Moochus graceeus.

Good questions. I'll do my best to answer them one at a time.

1.  I didn't see (or notice) how far along the environmental study for the terminal was.  Has it started, how long does it take, and does a final study submission give the Board the authority to like or spike the results, thereby continue to the next step or nix the terminal?

This story came in the late middle part of a years-long process. Because the project is so big -- it would be the biggest rail-to-ship oil terminal in the world, if I remember right -- it's being reviewed by a special panel called the Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council, which previously focused on building things like nuclear power plants. There are tens of thousands of pages of paperwork (probably more) in studies and comments and responses. This group was supposed to issue its recommendation a while ago now, but there is so much material they keep stalling.

When they make a recommendation, the final decision will be made by Washington's governor.

2.  Is there enough opposition to nix the terminal and why, aside from a spill?

Quite possibly. Bakken crude is highly volatile and has a nasty habit of exploding during derailments. There's great concern for spills/explosions/fire in the Columbia River Gorge (a national scenic area) and in Vancouver proper, since the tracks go right by downtown (right by my office, actually). There are also concerns of marine spills, since oil will be transferred from rail cars to ships in the Columbia River, which has lots of river traffic already and has a very treacherous bar. There is also concern for VOC pollution from the transfers and storage tanks. The proposed site is close to one of the area's poorest neighborhoods. Then there's the whole "think globally act locally" impact on world CO2 levels by continuing to promote a petroleum-based energy system.

3.  Is there a market for the terminal or are there enough terminals around to where a song and dance has to be included to drum up business for the terminal?

Great question. This terminal is designed to be a place for all that frakked oil from the Bakken formation in the Dakotas. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of oil coming into this area already, however. The stated goal is to have the oil shipped to West Coast refineries from here, but there's great suspicion that the real longterm goal is export.

4.  Are jobs needed in the area of the terminal?

Jobs are nice, but after construction I believe this project would employ fewer than 100 people, if I remember right.

5.  Does Oregon have any say in the construction and use of the terminal?

I think they have provided comment to the various environmental studies, but no. They have no regulatory role.

6.  When could construction begin?

God only knows. Once EFSEC gets done, it's not clear how long it'll take for the governor to decide. Then there will certainly be lawsuits. We may be beyond an oil economy by the time they get ready to go, if that ever happened.

7.  Will local governments give tax abatements for the terminal?

I don't think so. The city has taken a stand in opposition to the project. This whole thing started when the local port district cut a lease deal with the project's proponent behind closed doors before approving it in public. It's a three-person port commission, and the initial lease expired due to the long review period and is being renewed every three months. The issue behind this campaign now is that there is currently a 2-1 vote in favor of the terminal on the port commission, but one of the supporters is stepping down. There's a outspoken oil critic running and the other guy, who says he supports the process but is getting gobs of money from the oil project proponent. So if the anti-oil guy wins, it's likely that the lease would not be renewed the next time it came up for review. So the vote is considered a referendum on the project itself.

A series of these big energy projects (coal, oil, LNG) have been proposed and rejected in Western Oregon and Western Washington over the past year or two, and this is the last big one out there. So the opponents are hoping that this will be the last one to fall. Time will tell.

Hope that helps! This story has been going on for years now, so everything I wrote was off the top of my head. Hopefully I got all the details right.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for that.  Looks like an uphill run for the supporters.  It doesn't affect me or Texas, in any event.  I guess it's a good thing the pipeline already exists from South Dakota to the West Coast.

As far as the concern to export that you mentioned, if there's a market to be had by exporting, expect it.  Doesn't British Columbia already have a terminal and a method to get Bakken oil to BC?  I can't remember.  There's a big market in Asia for the oil.

Thanks again.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Tuesday at The Blood Center, I asked a lady that's been sticking people for many years about your heart flutter with tums.  She's seen it a few times.  She asked how your tech responded and I told her the process was stopped immediately.  She said, "That was good."

She suggested that you drink milk about 2 hours before your next donation and don't scarf the tums.  Maybe 1 or 2 at the start.  I would further suggest that you find a good 90 minute to 2 hour show and immerse yourself into it, while squeezing the ball.  Or podcasts.  Or a book.

Very interesting. And a little unsettling, to tell you the truth. 

I will try it again, and tank up on calcium beforehand -- but I checked the calcium supplement I take every day, and it's 100% of the RDA already, so it's not like I'm deficient. Still, if it's an excuse to get a milkshake, who am I to argue? 

Of course, the flutter wasn't caused by the tums, but by the lower calcium levels in my blood, presumably caused by the citrate. I actually only had a few of them at first. I didn't chomp the other 10 until the tingling and fluttering was going strong.
You point-counterpointed your calcium level.  On the one hand, you take a 100% RDA pill and think you're not deficient.  On the other hand you say you have lower calcium levels, maybe caused by the citrate.

So, you, yourself, possibly need a higher calcium intake on a daily basis because you need more for whatever reason (probably because of being a feline owner) plus you need a loading dose of calcium via a milkshake 2 hours prior to donation.  In your predicament, I'd add another milkshake during the donation juuuuuuuuuuust to make sure. Approval

I think I forgot to mention that, while taking that supplement, I did a routine blood test a few months ago and tested right down the middle of normal for blood calcium levels. That leads me to suspect that my body might react more vigorously than others to the citrate, which binds with calcium in the bloodstream, thus making it unavailable for use by the muscles throughout the body.

Regardless, I agree. Upping my calcium intake probably wouldn't be a bad idea in general, and goodness knows that 2-3 milkshakes before, during and after a donation certainly couldn't hurt! Approval
You may or may not remember that potassium is a major ingredient in blood pressure medication.

Further, back in the summer while training for the 100K, I started taking potassium to enhance my electrolytes because I've read that just salt isn't good enough. 

I didn't noticed until today that the potassium I bought is....potassium citrate.  I can also tell you that when my blood pressure is taken at the Blood Center, it's always below 120/80 because of the supplementation.  I know this because there were a couple of weeks when I didn't take the potassium and my BP jumped.  Better tinkering through chemistry.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 am

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Tuesday at The Blood Center, I asked a lady that's been sticking people for many years about your heart flutter with tums.  She's seen it a few times.  She asked how your tech responded and I told her the process was stopped immediately.  She said, "That was good."

She suggested that you drink milk about 2 hours before your next donation and don't scarf the tums.  Maybe 1 or 2 at the start.  I would further suggest that you find a good 90 minute to 2 hour show and immerse yourself into it, while squeezing the ball.  Or podcasts.  Or a book.

Very interesting. And a little unsettling, to tell you the truth. 

I will try it again, and tank up on calcium beforehand -- but I checked the calcium supplement I take every day, and it's 100% of the RDA already, so it's not like I'm deficient. Still, if it's an excuse to get a milkshake, who am I to argue? 

Of course, the flutter wasn't caused by the tums, but by the lower calcium levels in my blood, presumably caused by the citrate. I actually only had a few of them at first. I didn't chomp the other 10 until the tingling and fluttering was going strong.
You point-counterpointed your calcium level.  On the one hand, you take a 100% RDA pill and think you're not deficient.  On the other hand you say you have lower calcium levels, maybe caused by the citrate.

So, you, yourself, possibly need a higher calcium intake on a daily basis because you need more for whatever reason (probably because of being a feline owner) plus you need a loading dose of calcium via a milkshake 2 hours prior to donation.  In your predicament, I'd add another milkshake during the donation juuuuuuuuuuust to make sure. Approval

I think I forgot to mention that, while taking that supplement, I did a routine blood test a few months ago and tested right down the middle of normal for blood calcium levels. That leads me to suspect that my body might react more vigorously than others to the citrate, which binds with calcium in the bloodstream, thus making it unavailable for use by the muscles throughout the body.

Regardless, I agree. Upping my calcium intake probably wouldn't be a bad idea in general, and goodness knows that 2-3 milkshakes before, during and after a donation certainly couldn't hurt! Approval
You may or may not remember that potassium is a major ingredient in blood pressure medication.

Further, back in the summer while training for the 100K, I started taking potassium to enhance my electrolytes because I've read that just salt isn't good enough. 

I didn't noticed until today that the potassium I bought is....potassium citrate.  I can also tell you that when my blood pressure is taken at the Blood Center, it's always below 120/80 because of the supplementation.  I know this because there were a couple of weeks when I didn't take the potassium and my BP jumped.  Better tinkering through chemistry.

Interesting! Oh, I took another look at my calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement and noticed that the FULL dose for 100% of the RDA is not 1 but 3 caplets a day. Aha! And oops.

I don't know if I'll ramp it up to three caplets every day, but I'll definitely increase the dosage in the week before the next time we try to do platelets.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 am

Early Morning Rehab Run with Alita: 2.06 miles

Weather: A tiny about of rain. 49° Gear: Topos, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves.

Up way before the chickens, continuing in Stage 2, we increased the length of the running segment to three minutes and the number of sets to four. So that's a 10-minute walking warmup, 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking x4.

When it's three minutes, it's actually starting to feel like running! Woot!

No HR strap yet.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 pm

@Mark B wrote:Early Morning Rehab Run with Alita: 2.06 miles

Weather: A tiny about of rain. 49° Gear: Topos, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves.

Up way before the chickens, continuing in Stage 2, we increased the length of the running segment to three minutes and the number of sets to four. So that's a 10-minute walking warmup, 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking x4.

When it's three minutes, it's actually starting to feel like running! Woot!

No HR strap yet.
And there's life without an HR strap?  SAY it ain't SO!  Ease in to that running, youngster.  Debunk the thought that runner's can't stop running when hurt.

Oh, by the way, got your canoe ready?  High profile 4x4 diesel truck, maybe?
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:33 am

The forests around here will appreciate it. It's been a dry summer.

As for the rest of us, well... at least it's going to be a relatively warm rain.

(ps The return to running progression is prescribed by my PT. It's an eight-week progression that ends with 25 minutes of uninterrupted running.)

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Is the expected rainfall area subject to mudslides for the excessive rain?
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4791
Points : 13192
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Not around here, but maybe where they had that huge wildfire a few weeks ago in the Columbia River Gorge.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Looks like I missed the political discussion...and the supplement discussion...and checked in just in time to join in on the rain discussion.  Yup...it's coming.  Even in Central Oregon!  And I think there are concerns about mudslides in the gorge due to the fire.

Impressed that you have the patience to stick to the schedule recommended by the PT.  It does make sense to follow her recommendation after all the work you've been putting into those exercises though.  Also impressed that you're not curious about your HR...well not curious enough to wear the monitor anyway.

Since we're discussing things I'm impressed with...are you still going caffeine free?

Stay dry.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1990
Points : 6890
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 am

@nkrichards wrote:Looks like I missed the political discussion...and the supplement discussion...and checked in just in time to join in on the rain discussion.  Yup...it's coming.  Even in Central Oregon!  And I think there are concerns about mudslides in the gorge due to the fire.

Impressed that you have the patience to stick to the schedule recommended by the PT.  It does make sense to follow her recommendation after all the work you've been putting into those exercises though.  Also impressed that you're not curious about your HR...well not curious enough to wear the monitor anyway.

Since we're discussing things I'm impressed with...are you still going caffeine free?

Stay dry.

It's nice and rainy today. We'll do our run tomorrow, when it's likely to be MORE rainy, but at least it won't be in the dark.

I had a PT appointment yesterday, and it went well. My PT noticed how my feet don't quite point straight ahead while I walk and run and experimented with me consciously aligning them. After watching me stumble around like a gorilla, she got this thoughtful look on her face and decided that it probably wouldn't be worth the risk/trouble/pain. She did tell me to start doing calf work again, though! 

I haven't used the HR strap partly because the running periods have been so short the HR doesn't rise much. I need to focus on form and feeling at this point.

Still no caffeine, though when I'm getting up at 4 a.m., there are times when I'm sorely tempted...

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7271
Points : 15695
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 29 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum