365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

2 - Trails for Two - Page 15 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Sun May 21, 2017 3:52 pm

From Saturday:

Walk: About 4 miles, much of it pulling a wagonload of water.

Weather: Overcast, about 60°

If it's mid-May, it must be time for the annual Hazel Dell Parade of Bands! That means Alita and I get the chance to pull wagonloads of water behind the Skyview High School band as they perform to the adoring crowds. Then, once the parade is done, we hike back to our car. It's always pretty fun. (I'd rather be IN the parade than watch it.) Though they gave us the wagon with a LOT of water in it. Alita and I took turns pulling it. A definite workout.

From Sunday:

Low HR Run: 10 miles

Weather: Sunny and warm and a little muggy. 62°-74° Gear: Topos, T, shorts. Fuel: Two bottles water (one with nuun, one without), one larabar, split in two at 45-minute intervals, S-Caps about every 40 minutes.

A week out from our big trail effort, it's time to change the focus to steady effort on less hilly terrain. Our next target race is mostly flat and nontechnical, so speeds will be higher and more consistent. The best way to simulate that around here is on pavement, so we went to the Salmon Creek Greenway. There were a few flooded parts, but we skirted them the first time through and plowed right through on the way back.

Our paces tended to run from the 11s into the 12s. I had to keep pulling us back, since the urge to run faster on pavement is strong in both of us. I kept my HR well under my target, and Alita handled it well. Our legs are still feeling the effects of last weekend, which made this a good practice of pressing on with sore legs.

It was also a practice session for warmth. Who knows what the weather is going to be like for our 12-hour run, but we need to be ready for warmer weather. So we waited a little and headed out when it was already in the mid 60s and the sun was beating down. It was in the mid-70s when we were done. That increased the effort level, but not terribly.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 122

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 am

Up-tempo run: 3.23 miles

Weather: Sunny and warm. 63° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

The warmest morning of the year, and boy could I tell. I started off smooth and easy (and relatively quick) but the effort level increased as I warmed up. (Too bad, the low 9s and a sub-MAF heart rate was nice to see.) I had toyed with doing four miles, but I'm squeezed for time this morning, and my legs are still creaky -- I blame walking backwards taking video at the parade on Saturday -- so I made it shorter. Which also meant faster. My last mile was at a 9:29 pace, but my HR averaged 148. A good stimulus, I suppose.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 132

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 am

Oh my stars!  You didn't melt in the 60's or 70's!!

I think Alita would've had a better time hauling water if she had put a harness on you and a bit in your mouth.  You have 2 years to perfect that?

We're supposed to have two mornings in the low 60's, tomorrow and Thursday, which is unseasonably cool by a couple of degrees.  Then the south wind comes back and we're headed for 90 degree highs for the weekend.  Hopefully, we won't have flooding rain like the last 2 Memorial Day holidays.

Keep up the muddin'!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 am

ounce wrote:Oh my stars!  You didn't melt in the 60's or 70's!!

I think Alita would've had a better time hauling water if she had put a harness on you and a bit in your mouth.  You have 2 years to perfect that?

We're supposed to have two mornings in the low 60's, tomorrow and Thursday, which is unseasonably cool by a couple of degrees.  Then the south wind comes back and we're headed for 90 degree highs for the weekend.  Hopefully, we won't have flooding rain like the last 2 Memorial Day holidays.

Keep up the muddin'!

Some of us are not alligators (armadillos?) like you, Doug. Heat -- especially after a prolonged cool-cold spring -- makes a sudden shift to warmer temps difficult. It got up to 92° here yesterday. That was when Alita was doing HER run, indoors, on the treadmill. We don't have a/c, either. Sweaty

Hope your weather behaves. It should be pretty nice for our holiday weekend.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 23, 2017 11:48 am

Mark B wrote:

Keep up the muddin'!

Some of us are not alligators (armadillos?) like you, Doug. Heat -- especially after a prolonged cool-cold spring -- makes a sudden shift to warmer temps difficult. It got up to 92° here yesterday. That was when Alita was doing HER run, indoors, on the treadmill. We don't have a/c, either. Sweaty

Why do you think I run in the dark.

Heck, our high for the year is only 91 degrees!  Tell that to your friends.  I understand the transition from cool to furnace.  I dread the upcoming training in the daylight.  Lows of 78, dewpoints always in the 70's, and highs...well, I'll try to block that from my mind.  There's a race in Bastrop (east of Austin) in August (peak of the summer heat) called the Habanero Hundred (100K and 100 mile) where they're lucky to get 10 finishers, I believe.

I guess that window unit A/C will get installed this week?  I've never liked a High pressure system in the summertime, which is y'alls problem, too.  Caps the atmosphere and bakes it.  Well, at least there won't be an issue with getting enough Vitamin D!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Keep up the muddin'!

Heck, our high for the year is only 91 degrees!  Tell that to your friends.  I understand the transition from cool to furnace.  I dread the upcoming training in the daylight.  Lows of 78, dewpoints always in the 70's, and highs...well, I'll try to block that from my mind.  There's a race in Bastrop (east of Austin) in August (peak of the summer heat) called the Habanero Hundred (100K and 100 mile) where they're lucky to get 10 finishers, I believe.

I guess that window unit A/C will get installed this week?  I've never liked a High pressure system in the summertime, which is y'alls problem, too.  Caps the atmosphere and bakes it.  Well, at least there won't be an issue with getting enough Vitamin D!

Yeah, we *might* be putting that window a/c unit in fairly soon. I saw a long-term forecast for the summer from the weather folks, and they're predicting an above-average chance of above-average temperatures for the next three months. Should make for an interesting grass fire season in the West.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Keep up the muddin'!

Yeah, we *might* be putting that window a/c unit in fairly soon. I saw a long-term forecast for the summer from the weather folks, and they're predicting an above-average chance of above-average temperatures for the next three months. Should make for an interesting grass fire season in the West.
I guess the areas that received feet of snow has gradually melted away or not in an area where a wildfire would be sparked?

I think Fluff's contracts requires his own a/c unit in 2017.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Keep up the muddin'!

I guess the areas that received feet of snow has gradually melted away or not in an area where a wildfire would be sparked?

I think Fluff's contracts requires his own a/c unit in 2017.

There are lots of lower-elevation areas in the West that got a TON of rain this year. That's what'll burn this time. The higher elevations still have snow, so the heavier fuels up there are less likely to go up this year.

The a/c we have IS Fluff's, silly.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 am

Barefoot Run: 4.17 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, cool. About 48° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Jacket until I warmed up.

I've been bothered by a weird muscle issue behind my left knee for a few days, so I haven't run since Monday. It was feeling better this morning, so I decided to try a barefoot run through the neighborhood to see how it was doing.

The good news: It didn't bother me at all during the run. The better news: I was distracted enough by that and a few random texts from work, my kid and my wife during running (thank goodness for Siri; she read them to me) that I didn't notice how low my HR was and how respectable my pace was at the same time. My splits and average HR worked out to: 10:36/125, 10:05/136; 10:27/136; 10:04/139. I didn't even reach my target until the last mile!

I had debated whether to keep it at 3 or go to 4, and I'm glad I went longer. My body needs to get used to longer distances when I can squeeze them in.

Average HR for entire run: 134

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: 4.17 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, cool. About 48°  Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Jacket until I warmed up.

I've been bothered by a weird muscle issue behind my left knee for a few days, so I haven't run since Monday. It was feeling better this morning, so I decided to try a barefoot run through the neighborhood to see how it was doing.

The good news: It didn't bother me at all during the run. The better news: I was distracted enough by that and a few random texts from work, my kid and my wife during running (thank goodness for Siri; she read them to me) that I didn't notice how low my HR was and how respectable my pace was at the same time. My splits and average HR worked out to: 10:36/125, 10:05/136; 10:27/136; 10:04/139. I didn't even reach my target until the last mile!

I had debated whether to keep it at 3 or go to 4, and I'm glad I went longer. My body needs to get used to longer distances when I can squeeze them in.

Nice run!  That's a good sign for sure.

Sounds like your race went well.  Wish I'd been here to send you off.  Downtown Bend is a much better place to breakdown than Mt. Hood.  Good choice.

This weather is sure something.  Freezing one day and cooking the next.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 26, 2017 4:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: 4.17 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, cool. About 48°  Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Jacket until I warmed up.

Nice run!  That's a good sign for sure.

Sounds like your race went well.  Wish I'd been here to send you off.  Downtown Bend is a much better place to breakdown than Mt. Hood.  Good choice.

This weather is sure something.  Freezing one day and cooking the next.

Yeah, our weekend disaster resolved about as well as we could have hoped for, so there's that.

The weather is crazy. We're in for a warm spell now, though.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Walk: 2 miles

Weather: Sunny and warm. 70° with a nice breeze

Testing out my leg (which still feels a little twitchy) with a walk along the Columbia River. I'm hoping it'll help keep it loose, since we technically have somewhat big miles to chase this weekend.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Mark B wrote:Walk: 2 miles

Testing out my leg (which still feels a little twitchy) with a walk along the Columbia River. I'm hoping it'll help keep it loose, since we technically have somewhat big miles to chase this weekend.

Hope those miles are going well.

Stay cool!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 27, 2017 11:31 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Walk: 2 miles

Hope those miles are going well.

Stay cool!

So those miles didn't go at all today. Alita woke up with a headache, and my weird hamstring/upper calf weirdness is still hanging on, so we ended up putting off the run... until it got too hot. I think it cracked 90° today. Hot enough to put in the window a/c unit and crank it up.

Tomorrow, we plan to get up very early (before 6) and get out as quickly as we can to do about 15 miles before it gets too hot. This sudden transition is for the birds.

I've been trying to figure out the issue with my leg, and I thought I'd figured it out --when I was pulling a wagon load of water at the parade last Saturday, the front wheel ran up the back of my foot (short handle) and gave me a flat tire. It also roughly planted my foot on the ground at farthest extension moving forward.

That was my operating theory, until I remembered having a muscle spasm in that very spot (or close to it) several weeks ago -- before the run at Smith Rock, I think -- and definitely before the parade. So maybe the "flat tire" aggravated some touchy muscle in there? Maybe. Either way, I need for it to resolve itself soon. I can't afford to get hung up by this. Alita needs me to run with her.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Trail Run: About 16.5 miles (Garmin user error left unit saying only 15)

Weather: Clear and cool to start, then warming up. 53° to 74° Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T. Fuel: Larabars, nuun, S-caps.

Our longest trail run in the intermission between Smith Rock and Elijah Bristow (It was actually longer than Smith Rock.), so it serves as Peak #2 for our racing this year. We opted for the woods to take advantage of the shade (it got up to 92° yesterday) and to make it more of a "time on your feet" workout than running at a targeted pace. We started at about 6:30 a.m. to keep as cool as possible.

It was a solid, enjoyable run. We walked when we felt like it, which is good practice for the 12-hour event coming up in mid-June, and we moved at a decent pace otherwise. Alita tripped once, but was none the worse for wear. Whew!

The last 5 miles were a little tougher, as the fatigue built and the temperature rose, but we got it done.

I must have accidentally switched off my Garmin at one point, because I lost about 1.5 miles of running. Luckily, we were doing loops, so it was easy to figure out how much got skipped. It's funny, though, because Alita's Strava app said we did 17.8 miles, and the Health app on my iPhone said we did 19.9 miles! Maybe we did, maybe we didn't -- it's hard to tell with all the trees in there -- but I'll go with the corrected Garmin and err on the shorter side.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 121

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Nice run not matter which distance you choose to report!  Bodes well for your event in June.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 am

nkrichards wrote:Nice run not matter which distance you choose to report!  Bodes well for your event in June.

Thanks, Nancy! Going for 12 hours straight is going to be interesting. Haven't done that since the 50-miler a few years ago. Alita is hoping to break 50K in the time period, which shouldn't be too difficult. She did 21-something in 6 hours last year.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 am

Low HR Run: 4.3 miles

Weather: Overcast with a little drizzle. 53°  Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket, hat.

I've been doing more uptempo work on on early week run (I delayed yesterday's run to today due to a sore hamstring/back of knee), but I'm wondering if that's one of the reasons for my weird leg pain. So I opted for a low HR run.

Interestingly, what passes as low HR now was uptempo earlier in this cycle. Still, I worked to keep the HR down and not pay attention to the pace. I'm hoping it helps. The leg didn't hurt worse or less (it's more a soreness) during the run, so I guess that's something.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 128

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 am

Leg update:

I think I may have figured out what's going on with my left leg. I was doing some research and discovered that a strain in the gastrocnemius muscle (the big calf muscle) often refers pain to the back of the knee and down to the arch of the foot, which matches my hard-to-pinpoint pain. I found a piece on trigger point therapy for that muscle and tried working it yesterday in the office. It didn't have an immediate impact (though by golly, I sure found some spots that needed work), but I realized later in the evening that my leg wasn't bothering me anymore -- despite sitting through work and then an orchestra concert. (Sitting tended to aggravate it.)

I crossed my fingers and hoped it'd still be good last night and this morning, and it was. Whew! I can still feel some tightness in there, but now that I have a possible remedy for the symptoms, I feel a bit better.

That said, I was halfway through my first lap around the block barefoot when I felt the gastroc starting to tighten up, so I decided to shut it down immediately and make this a rest day. This is too important to screw up with compulsive running.

As for the cause, I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that the midsole of my go-to trail shoes, my Altra Lone Peak 2.0s, broke down in the heel area but not the rest of the shoe, which means what once was a zero-drop shoe is now a negative-drop shoe, with the ball of my foot higher than my heel. That's got to put strain on the calf muscles. Also, I caught my heel under the wheel of a water wagon at a parade two weekends ago so much it pinned my foot to the ground and pulled off the back of my shoe, just as I was at full extension about to toe off.

I'll do what I can to avoid water wagons in the future, but the Lone Peaks are now retired. If I can't find a suitable replacement before June 17, my Topo Fli-Lytes are probably sufficient for the buffed-out trail at the 12-hour trail race. I've ordered a Topo trail shoe to try on, and if that fails, I may have to go back to Altras, though their sole quality has injured me twice so far.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 am

Low HR Run: 4.28 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, muggy. 61° Gear: Topos, shorts, T.

My calf/knee felt better this morning after my rest day, so I decided to give running a try today. Given that my calf is bothering me, I opted for my Topos, which have a 3 mm drop, to ease some of the strain on that muscle.

I felt twinges throughout the run, but a short, relaxed stride seemed to keep it at bay. I kept the effort easy (averaging about a 10:30 pace and average HR of about 138-140), which was good enough for today.

I'm icing the calf right now, in hopes that'll help, as well.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Icing will always help.  Gratz on the diagnosis, doctor.  Maybe you can get carted around in a wagon, until you're healed.

I'm sure you'll be conscious of not aggravating something else, as you limp around.

Play your injury up at home, while you're lame.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am

ounce wrote:Icing will always help.  Gratz on the diagnosis, doctor.  Maybe you can get carted around in a wagon, until you're healed.

I'm sure you'll be conscious of not aggravating something else, as you limp around.

Play your injury up at home, while you're lame.

Well, I'm only *slightly* lame, so there's not much to play up on.

I think I may have also tweaked my politeus muscle in my wagon-pulling gracefulness, though it could be just an angry gastrocnemius muscle. They all sort of connect in the same spot.

Anyway, I'm giving myself more rest days and trying to not aggravate it. I've also started the search for replacement shoes. The local shoe store didn't have the type I wanted, and REI was out of stock, so the local shoe store is trying to special order that shoe so I can at least try it on. I'm hopeful it'l work for me. (It's a Topo Terraventure)

2 - Trails for Two - Page 15 M-terr10

If that doesn't work, I'll have to attempt either Altra's latest model of the Superior or Lone Peak. I'm not wild about Altra's track record for durabilty -- especially in the midsole -- but if they're the only thing that fits, I may have little choice.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:29 pm

I noticed on the Terraventure, as well as the Peregrine 7, the gaiter attachment loop at the beginning of lacing the shoe area is not there.  I also noticed the same on the other 2 Topo trail shoes.  The Peregrine 4, 5, and 6 models have the loop.

Do you have any insight as to the reason for the change?  I guess those that use gaiters will just have to attach it to the shoe string.

Enjoy the surprise taper.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:04 pm

ounce wrote:I noticed on the Terraventure, as well as the Peregrine 7, the gaiter attachment loop at the beginning of lacing the shoe area is not there.  I also noticed the same on the other 2 Topo trail shoes.  The Peregrine 4, 5, and 6 models have the loop.

Do you have any insight as to the reason for the change?  I guess those that use gaiters will just have to attach it to the shoe string.

I've rarely seen trail shoes with a gaiter loop up front like those older Peregrines, even Altras with the weird Velcro "gaiter trap®" on the heel. I guess you're just supposed to attach them to the laces. I've never used gaiters, so I'm not an expert in this field.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:46 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I noticed on the Terraventure, as well as the Peregrine 7, the gaiter attachment loop at the beginning of lacing the shoe area is not there.  I also noticed the same on the other 2 Topo trail shoes.  The Peregrine 4, 5, and 6 models have the loop.

I've rarely seen trail shoes with a gaiter loop up front like those older Peregrines, even Altras with the weird Velcro "gaiter trap®️" on the heel. I guess you're just supposed to attach them to the laces. I've never used gaiters, so I'm not an expert in this field.
WHAT!!!  You're Mr. Trail!!!!!!  Runner of the mountains.  Runner getting the MOST for his registration dollar!!! (that DFL you have Wink)  Feet that have an innate ability to locate hidden roots!

Well, I bought them after getting some gravel from the Brazos Bend trails and thought it would be a bad use of time to have to pull the shoes off to get the gravel out.  They did work very well on that dry trail.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next