365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+3
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Mark B wrote:Forecast update:
Friday Night: A chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Saturday: A slight chance of showers after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Not bad!

Nope...not bad at all.  A bit warm for my liking but for an event that long this time of year you can't ask for a much better forecast.  Hope it holds for both your event and your support at your friends event.

Oh...nice job on the Core and Calves.  Good for you!  I really do need to find the motivation to put my core work back into my schedule!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 pm

ounce wrote:
Friday Night: A chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Saturday: A slight chance of showers after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Not bad!
That's mid-November for us, except for the rain part, which seems to be torrential, frog strangler, gully washer, or all of the above.  Never just a mist.

nkrichards wrote:

Not bad!

Nope...not bad at all.  A bit warm for my liking but for an event that long this time of year you can't ask for a much better forecast.  Hope it holds for both your event and your support at your friends event.

Oh...nice job on the Core and Calves.  Good for you!  I really do need to find the motivation to put my core work back into my schedule!

Keeping my fingers crossed for the weather. I'm wondering if the trail will be muddy with the rain we had this week. Guess we'll find out! Good thing I'm turning in my testers; they'd have awful traction in the mud (and I can't use them at races, anyway).

Also...

Walk: 4 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild. 62° Gear: Testers (final walk)

A slightly extended lunchtime walk along the Columbia River, putting the last few miles on these testers before I ship them back. My time is up, and I have a new set on their way, anyway. Wonder how they're going to turn out.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:25 am

Well, that didn't last long.

My latest testers had the same structural issues as the first ones I tried this spring, so I'm sending them back rather than risk injury (and destroy the shoes) by trying to run in them.

Okay, to be fair, it's my FEET that have the structural issues, but still...

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to wear next!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:55 am

Mark B wrote:Well, that didn't last long.

My latest testers had the same structural issues as the first ones I tried this spring, so I'm sending them back rather than risk injury (and destroy the shoes) by trying to run in them.

You might look at this link on Running Warehouse to enter for a free pair of Topo Ultrafly.  The entry must be submitted by noon PST, today.
http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/gear/rs/contest-win-a-free-pair-of-topo-ultrafly-running-shoes/
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:03 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Well, that didn't last long.

You might look at this link on Running Warehouse to enter for a free pair of Topo Ultrafly.  The entry must be submitted by noon PST, today.
http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/gear/rs/contest-win-a-free-pair-of-topo-ultrafly-running-shoes/

Done! Thanks for the link.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Dynamic Testing: 1.36 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, about 55° Gear: Shoes, shorts, T.

A couple of laps around the Nike campus for shoe testing. It offered a nice shake-out run for this weekend's festivities. The first lap felt easy and got better as I started to warm up. I must have punched it in the first half of the second lap, because my HR jumped and took a while to go down.

And since I was on the Portland side of the river anyway...

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 Topos10

I finally broke down and picked up a pair of the Topo Athletic Fli-Lyte! They're described as road shoes, but they could easily handle a buffed-out trail. They have a 3 mm drop, which I think will work well, and a footbox that offers enough toe room to accommodate my foot shape. I took them out for a quick test jog outside the store and ended up doing a lap around the whole block. Very Happy

My hope is that these can replace my Altra Instincts as a road shoe. I liked them when I first got them a few years ago, but their design has changed into something that doesn't work as well for me.. at least for road shoes. Overly wide with odd sculpting of the midsole material that makes my feet sore sometimes. (I still like my Lone Peaks.) Add that to the fact that at least two pair of Instincts have injured me due to a breakdown in the medial heel area... and my confidence is low.

Since I'm out of Nikes to test, I had to get a road shoe I could trust so I can finish out my training for my 50K in July, and whatever comes after that. Thus, the new shoes.

I will probably give these new shoes a trial run Saturday at our six-hour trail run. The beauty of a 1.05-mile loop is you can switch things up easily. (That, and the fact that you have an aid/food station every lap.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Nifty purchase!  I'll be curious about your experience.  Other than the 'challenged' design of your foot, are you considered a 'neutral' runner or what?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 pm

ounce wrote:Nifty purchase!  I'll be curious about your experience.  Other than the 'challenged' design of your foot, are you considered a 'neutral' runner or what?

"Neutral" works best for me. I tried the "motion control" shoes at one point, and it shifted the impact on my foot to the 4th and 5th metatarsals... which caused all sorts of problems up my kinetic chain.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Good luck to Alita!  You just don't get hurt.  Let me know if the 13 or more revolutions of the course gets old.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Nifty purchase!  I'll be curious about your experience.  Other than the 'challenged' design of your foot, are you considered a 'neutral' runner or what?

"Neutral" works best for me. I tried the "motion control" shoes at one point, and it shifted the impact on my foot to the 4th and 5th metatarsals... which caused all sorts of problems up my kinetic chain.

That's interesting...the PT recently told me that I'm using the outside of my foot to much and I should be using the big toe more.  I've been in Brooks Ravenna's since I had plantar fasciitis in 2009 and they are considered a support shoe.  I wonder if they are encouraging the transition to the outside of my foot?  Maybe I'd be better off in a more neutral shoe(??).  I've had such good luck with the Brooks Ravenna that I've been reluctant to try anything else.

Hope the event goes well for both you and Alita.  I'm seeing thunderstorms in the weather prediction...stay safe.

And...ENJOY!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:54 pm

ounce wrote:Good luck to Alita!  You just don't get hurt.  Let me know if the 13 or more revolutions of the course gets old.

Thank you, sir! We've made the drive down to our hotel and are relaxing before getting some dinner. Had a big lunch at our favorite Thai place, so the carbs are moving to their respective resting places.

I'll try to make it through unscathed.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:03 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That's interesting...the PT recently told me that I'm using the outside of my foot to much and I should be using the big toe more.  I've been in Brooks Ravenna's since I had plantar fasciitis in 2009 and they are considered a support shoe.  I wonder if they are encouraging the transition to the outside of my foot?  Maybe I'd be better off in a more neutral shoe(??).  I've had such good luck with the Brooks Ravenna that I've been reluctant to try anything else.

Hope the event goes well for both you and Alita.  I'm seeing thunderstorms in the weather prediction...stay safe.

And...ENJOY!

Thanks, Nancy! We will try for a solid, steady effort. We can't kill ourselves out there because we promised to help pace an old friend of mine in the last hours of his 24-hour attempt.

It's possible that you'd be better served with a more neutral shoe. Especially if you're favoring the outside edge of your foot. You may want to try a pair and see.

I went from neutral early Nikes (when support shoes didn't exist) to a more supportive shoe -- because I kept destroying less heavily built shoes -- to a hard shell orthotic, to motion control shoes, to stability shoes to Frees to barefoot and zero or minimal drop shoes. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. It might help a lot.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:15 pm

We survived! Rain, hail, wind, thunder and lots of mud. Six hours running, 21.31 miles covered. A massive distance PR for Alita.

More, with pix, later.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 Image10

Yes, this was the photo at our six-hour finish.

Last edited by Mark B on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:34 pm

Mark B wrote:We survived! Rain, hail, wind, thunder and lots of mud. Six hours running, 21.31 miles covered. A massive distance PR for Alita.

More, with pix, later.

Mark B wrote:SuspectBuilding A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 Image10

Yes, this was the photo at our six-hour finish.

Wow...those are awesome smiles for those kind of conditions!  I was concerned about your weather as we had a pretty nasty morning on this side of the mountain.

Congrats to Alita for the massive PR. Running Running Running Running Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:02 pm

Mark B wrote:We survived! Rain, hail, wind, thunder and lots of mud. Six hours running, 21.31 miles covered. A massive distance PR for Alita.

More, with pix, later.
Gratz on the accomplishment.  It's a time PR, too, sir!!  Around a 35K.  20 laps?  Maybe the race created it's own low pressure vortex.  Shocked
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Woohoo!!!! Congrats to you both!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks, all!

Race: Six hours (21.31 miles)

Weather: Crazy! Partly cloudy and cool with scattered thunderstorm-level downpours with heavy rain, wind and hail. Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T, hat (after just about getting my contact lenses flushed out of my eyes in a heavy downpour). Fuel: Lots.

The six-hour division of the Elijah Bristow Twenty Four Hour Run was Alita's goal race for this year and her big gesture for cracking the 50-year barrier earlier this year. She's been doing a lot of walking to get ready, and we ran together whenever we could. She had some knee weirdness on our long runs, so she was worried how things would go. Her goal was to at least exceed the farthest she's ever run -- a half marathon -- and go the whole six hours.

When all was said and done, she hit both goals and her secret goal of surpassing 20 miles. Woot!

This was all achieved as we got battered by the worst weather I've ever experienced on a run. Three downpours -- one with hail, another with thunder -- that flooded parts of the the race course and turned much of the rest of it into a muddy mess. The RD was even out there with a broom trying to drain the puddles and scrape away the excess mud, while others were using 5-gallon-buckets to bail out the parking lot where they'd set up the aid station and where crew members had set up tents. It was crazy.

In the first downpour, I didn't have a hat on. It got to the point to where I couldn't see, and it almost washed out my contact lenses. THEN it started hailing. Crazy had become ridiculous.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 13442110

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 13501510

So what else could we do? We kept going -- and burst into song.

"SIIINNNNGGGGING IN THE RAIN, JUST, SIIINNNNGING IN THE RAIN!!!"

We greatly amused other runners. We ran through "Singing in the Rain," "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow," and "Raindrops Keep Falling On Our Head" before we realized we didn't know the words.

We greatly amused other runners. Alita said it was her favorite part of the day.

We held a pretty steady pace in the first four miles, then slowed a bit as the day wore on. We started taking food after a few miles, which helped keep the spirits up and the nerves at bay, We passed her previous distance PR after about three hours (woot!) and kept going. I knew we should be able to hit 20, though she was starting to get increasingly sore. I adjusted the pace, and we increased our walking breaks, making sure to keep pressing forward.

Alita's knee started acting up with about 15 minutes to go. She limpted it to the end of the lap with five minutes to spare, took a stake to mark our finishing point. I asked if she just wanted to stop. She emphatically said no, and we kept going until the RD sounded an air horn and we planted our stakes. He came back and measured the extra distance.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 13428610

We put on a knee brace, which helped, and enjoyed some beer in our brand new commemorative pint glasses. It was a great event, and I think she may want to do it next year, with the goal of maybe hitting the marathon distance.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 13450110

---

Sorta celebrity note: Among the 47 or so people doing the event were the couple who created the 50 States Marathon Club. This race was to be his sixth time completing all 50 states, but he tore an achilles tendon and I'm not sure if he was going to get it done. He was sure trying, though. He and his wife were very nice people, with 900+ marathons between them. Amazing.

---

About me: My main goal was to help guide Alita through this new experience, but it also served as my longest run leading up to the Mount Hood 50K in early July. Other than when I had to catch up to Alita after I took a whiz, I kept my heart rate well below my MAF target. I think it will help a lot.

I developed some soreness in my right ankle, but it gave me the most trouble after I was done. I'd thought my Lone Peaks would be overkill on the trail, but not with the extended time and wet and muddy conditions. My feet have never been so wet for so long while running. The puddles were huge and unavoidable. And our clothes were sopping wet for much of the run. No chafing, though. Woot!

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 3 13494710

Average HR for entire race: 127

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:19 pm

That's a good race report.  It reminds me of the sucky conditions for the 30 K, last December, without the mud and hail.

That couple who started the 50 States Marathon Club are from Houston.  Steve and Paula Boone.  There wasn't a marathon in Delaware, so Steve and Paula created some marathon up there so people could complete all 50 states.  They also RD some trail runs in the area. 

Do you remember the Mayan end of the world thing in December 2012?  He created two marathons, The End of the World Marathon on that Friday for the 'pessimist."  Then, The Day After the End of the World Marathon on Saturday.

Steve ran some milestone at the 2016 Houston...a 500th or 700th marathon.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:58 am

That's an event that you and Alita are both going to remember for a long time.  Amazed that you both retained your sense of humor and enjoyed the event despite the circumstances...and Alita posted great results as well.  What a great way to celebrate her 50th year!

Did you go out to support your friend in the 24 hour event as well?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:42 pm

ounce wrote:That's a good race report.  It reminds me of the sucky conditions for the 30 K, last December, without the mud and hail.

That couple who started the 50 States Marathon Club are from Houston.  Steve and Paula Boone.  There wasn't a marathon in Delaware, so Steve and Paula created some marathon up there so people could complete all 50 states.  They also RD some trail runs in the area. 

Do you remember the Mayan end of the world thing in December 2012?  He created two marathons, The End of the World Marathon on that Friday for the 'pessimist."  Then, The Day After the End of the World Marathon on Saturday.

Steve ran some milestone at the 2016 Houston...a 500th or 700th marathon.

We had a chance to talk with both Steve and Paula out on the trail. We had no idea who they were and were seriously impressed when they told us. They were very nice people, and determined. Steve has had achilles problems and tore it (he thought) very early on, but he kept pressing on, limping each lap, hell bent to get another marathon done before 12 hours was up. As it turns out, both he and Paula did just that. That means he completed the 50-state cycle for THE SIXTH TIME.

Like I said, determined. Smile

nkrichards wrote:That's an event that you and Alita are both going to remember for a long time.  Amazed that you both retained your sense of humor and enjoyed the event despite the circumstances...and Alita posted great results as well.  What a great way to celebrate her 50th year!

Did you go out to support your friend in the 24 hour event as well?

There comes a point when the bad comes on so hard and fast that it becomes ridiculous. That's what happened out there Saturday.  Like I said before, Alita says that those few minutes when the pounding rain turned into pounding hail were her favorite moments in the whole race. She always did prefer comedy to tragedy. clown

Our friend, however, was more in the tragedy camp. He's been fighting off a nasty virus for a couple of weeks and wasn't at his top form, so when the second (colder) downpour hit, he got chilled to the bone and couldn't warm up. He ended up back in his tent napping in his sleeping bag for more than an hour before heading back out again. That helped, but he started feeling bad again a couple of hours later. He finally decided to bag it shortly after 12 hours had passed, logging a total of 40 miles. Nothing to be ashamed of, but I'm sure he's pretty depressed about it.

We were sad that he couldn't press on, but I'm a tiny bit relieved I didn't have to pull on those insanely wet, muddy (and heavy) shoes and head back out there. I didn't do much damage* to myself in the six hours, but I was somewhat fatigued and a little sore. It meant we could get a full night's sleep, which helped a lot.

*-The only real "damage" other than a sore ankle (which is sort of normal) is a sore toenail that I neglected to trim before the race. But it didn't change color or anything, so I think it's safe. Alita is not fully functional yet, but she's doing pretty well as far as I'm concerned.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Was Alec moderately moved at the feat or "Yeah, okay.  Don't block the TV!!!!  Can we go out and eat?"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:43 am

ounce wrote:Was Alec moderately moved at the feat or "Yeah, okay.  Don't block the TV!!!!  Can we go out and eat?"

He was appropriately surprised and impressed with what Alita accomplished. As in... "What? Wow! Great job, mom!"

I, of course, was chopped liver. But that's okay. That was my job. Don't worry about me. (cue the tiny little violin) Wink

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:44 am

Low HR Run: 4.03 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild. About 58° Gear: *NEW* Topo Athletic Fli-Lytes, shorts, T. Fuel: None.

It's summer! So that means getting up and running earlier than I have been. Today, it also meant that Alita joined me. She wanted to walk and run while I ran, so we picked the Salmon Creek Greenway, where I could do an out-and-back and then meet up with her on the return.

We walked the first 5 minutes before I took off. The first mile was a little challenging, nothing painful, just feeling the higher activity level, but I realized I wasn't exactly going super-slow, either. Miles 2 and 3 were the same, though my HR wanted to climb up a few beats higher than I wanted. When I saw the time, I could understand why - I ran Mile 2 in 10:12 (142) and Mile 3 in 10:11 (142)! Oops. Heh. Hey, no drift! That's nice.

Anyway, I caught up with Alita at the end of Mile 3. We jogged and walked it in. When I caught up with her, she was running in the 11s with walking breaks. It turns out that her total distance was only 0.4 miles less than what I did.

A good run. The new shoes worked very well. They're light and close fitting, like a racing shoe, with a moderately firm midsole, which I liked quite a lot.

Walked first and last 5 or so. Average HR on entire run: 124.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Hey!  Nice splits on mile 2 & 3!  And the HR is within the margin of error. Very Happy

Glad the new shoes worked well.

Great to hear Alita is back out there after her challenging event over the weekend!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next