365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+3
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 19 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:42 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Teen agers are tough!  Sounds like he's in that stage where he wants the benefits of still being a kid ("fun" Christmas presents) but he also wants the benefits of being a young adult (independence).  It will pass and you'll all survive.

Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas dinner and movie...
But WHEN!  WHEN will it PASS!!!!!!!!  You and I have two more years of this Razz , before he goes off to Oregon State Razz !

Glad Ounce is feeling our pain. Hang in there, buddy! We'll get through this together.   Approval

And it could be worse than the Oregon State University Beavers for college... one of the better in-state options for his current interest (microbiology/genetics) are at the University of Washington. The hated Huskies! Oh well. Still too soon to say where he'll end up. He needs to make it out of high school first.
Ha...a Beaver or Husky in the house sounds like a great way to get even for a razor for Christmas to me!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Teen agers are tough!  Sounds like he's in that stage where he wants the benefits of still being a kid ("fun" Christmas presents) but he also wants the benefits of being a young adult (independence).  It will pass and you'll all survive.

But WHEN!  WHEN will it PASS!!!!!!!!  You and I have two more years of this Razz , before he goes off to Oregon State Razz !

Glad Ounce is feeling our pain. Hang in there, buddy! We'll get through this together.   Approval

And it could be worse than the Oregon State University Beavers for college... one of the better in-state options for his current interest (microbiology/genetics) are at the University of Washington. The hated Huskies! Oh well. Still too soon to say where he'll end up. He needs to make it out of high school first.
Ha...a Beaver or Husky in the house sounds like a great way to get even for a razor for Christmas to me!!

Hm.... Neutral

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Hm.... Neutral
Unlike a Husky, Alec won't be able to get hair in his ears until later in life. Laughing

Does Wa. (I don't know what their accepted abbreviation is) allow sherpas for Freshmen?

I have seen their helmets with the big W on them.  Just think of it, combine your 'O' for Oregon and his 'W' for Washington and you have "OW" which is what it'll be when they meet on the gridiron or even tiddly-winks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:37 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Hm.... Neutral
Unlike a Husky, Alec won't be able to get hair in his ears until later in life. Laughing

Does Wa. (I don't know what their accepted abbreviation is) allow sherpas for Freshmen?

I have seen their helmets with the big W on them.  Just think of it, combine your 'O' for Oregon and his 'W' for Washington and you have "OW" which is what it'll be when they meet on the gridiron or even tiddly-winks.

Ah, ear hair. The great equalizer. In the end, we all end up looking like Yoda.

There's a lot of "ow" going on when the Ducks and Dawgs meet on the field. It's more than a rivalry game. It's a grudge match.

They wiped the field with us this year, but it's kind of understandable. We'd humiliated them for the past 12 seasons. It was payback time.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 pm

I had a little time at work this evening to start formulating a training schedule for Alita and I as we get ready for our races next spring. Here's my first crack at it.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 19 Screen11

The days work out like this:

Sunday: Long trail run
Monday: Easy/recovery run
Tuesday: Active recovery
Wednesday: Easy/mid run
Thursday: Hills, alternating between repeats and steady climbing weeks
Friday: Active recovery
Saturday: Mid to sorta-long run

I didn't factor in walks that Alita usually takes at school, so that'll be a bonus for her. I'll also sneak in some additional runs or distance on days we can't train together. Right now, it appears we'll be teaming up on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The other days, we'll have to go solo. She'll probably do those days on the treadmill, which lends itself well to big weekly hill climbs. 

I didn't fill out the runs after the 12-hour run yet, but I hope to get in at least another 20 miler (presuming we go well over 20 at the 12 hour run) and some technical trail practice before Mount Hood. Got to be ready for those roots!

Part of me thinks this schedule looks a little light, but Alita's coming back from a broken foot and I've been quite lazy, so I think we'll need to build it up slowly at first to avoid injury. And hopefully establish some new habits that'll last well beyond this year's racing season.  Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:17 pm

Good for you for getting a head start on your training plan.  I wouldn't worry about it being to light for the reasons that you mentioned.  You can always adjust and add mileage if you're feeling good but if you start to hard and either one of you end up injured you've got no where to go.

I'm looking forward to the new blog and following along...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:36 pm

I'd be cautious on the Monday runs, with possibly swapping Monday and Tuesday.

I'll send you a bill for that.  Payable in coins only.  $0.02.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:47 pm

nkrichards wrote:Good for you for getting a head start on your training plan.  I wouldn't worry about it being to light for the reasons that you mentioned.  You can always adjust and add mileage if you're feeling good but if you start to hard and either one of you end up injured you've got no where to go.

I'm looking forward to the new blog and following along...

Thanks for the thoughts, Nancy. We've talked about the possibility of flexing the schedule if it feels right. We may also juggle some things around if we head up to play in the Columbia River Gorge once the weather improves and we need some serious hill climbing practice.

I have a name for the blog, but I'll keep you in suspense until it launches. Smile

ounce wrote:I'd be cautious on the Monday runs, with possibly swapping Monday and Tuesday.

Three days in a row will be tricky, but it's the only way to maximize our time training together. Our schedules don't allow us time to barely see each other during the rest of the week, let alone go for a run. 

I'm betting some those Mondays will end up being walks, especially at first.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:25 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I'd be cautious on the Monday runs, with possibly swapping Monday and Tuesday.

Three days in a row will be tricky, but it's the only way to maximize our time training together. Our schedules don't allow us time to barely see each other during the rest of the week, let alone go for a run. 

I think your 3 days is a row will be OK as long as you're cautious and make sure you treat them as recovery runs.  After all you're training for longer races and eventually an ultra. 

Enjoy your time with a training partner...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I think your 3 days is a row will be OK as long as you're cautious and make sure you treat them as recovery runs.  After all you're training for longer races and eventually an ultra. 

Enjoy your time with a training partner...

I will do my best! Have a great new year.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Ohhh.... the toe-bone's connected to the... foot bone! 
The foot bone's connected to the... ankle bone! 
The ankle bone's connected to th-...

Uh... 

Connected to the... 

the...

Damn. What the hell IS it connected to?

That's how I started "Building a Better Bumblebee" back in May 2014. This blog has gone through two mandatory shut-downs by administrators, which means there are THREE blogs with the same title floating around here in 365runners land. Not quite what I'd planned

The blog has covered a lot of ground, figuratively and literally, as I tried to figure out what to do in the wake of my first (and so far, only) ultramarathon finish the year before. I'd expected to get back to ultras sooner, but things kept happening that threw me off track.

Like the Fluffpacolypse.

Or a broken toe.

Or another broken toe.

Or... a bunch of other things happy and sad that happens over the course of two and a half years. It's been distracting, and a little demoralizing at times. (The races I did were fun, however.) I've appreciated the support I've gotten here as I've wrestled with it. Thanks!

As far as building a better bumblebee? Well, that's a never-ending process. I've learned a lot since I started this blog, though, and I'm ready to put that knowledge to use not just for me, but for Alita, who has been bitten by the trail bug and is ready to experience trail race events as a participant rather than a volunteer. 

I'm not just doing this for me anymore. I think that may change things, and I'm looking forward to it.

(I'll launch the new blog on New Year's Day. I hope you stop by!)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:32 pm

Among other things, there are the llamas.

Plus who would EVER forget

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect 

Now, with further adieu, Queen Bee and the Better Bumblebee!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Here's the new blog: Trails for Two

See you there! Bumblebee out. :dropsmic:

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down