365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

California here we come... - Page 3 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:45 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hang in there, Nancy! Our cooling trend is coming any. day. now.

Look at the upside for rain on Saturday -- it won't be hot!

Just make sure to recover from all your work-related exertion before you get in the saddle.

Yeah Mark...today is supposed to be our last hot day and it was a stinker.  A thunderstorm rolled through this afternoon.  It was a noisy one and the lightning looked like it was right next door but we didn't get much wind or rain so no damage...at least not on our property. 

I am a bit concerned about the rain Saturday.  They are mentioning afternoon thunderstorms now.  A lot can change between now and Saturday.  And I'll take rain over this heat as long as the conditions don't become unsafe.   I've never been for a ride in the rain so I'm not sure what to wear or do differently.  I know braking is a concern.

I did go for a bike ride after breakfast today.  18.33 mi @ 14.9 mph  I was pretty stiff and my legs weren't happy for the first couple miles but I kept it easy and settled in OK.  I did manage to get in a couple short stints at a high cadence and pulled a couple hills.  I felt much better by the end of the ride.
I have no knowledge of prepping for bike rides in the rain.  I guess wearing a Kevlar jacket might keep your ribs safe, but not the extremities.

Plus, I'd look at the weather, but I wouldn't be much good cyphering out the Forecast Discussion, nor how the hills help in creating lift.

So,  Sleep

Okay, I looked at the forecast discussion from the weather service, and things are looking up for Saturday in Central Oregon. A slight chance of light rain tonight into Saturday, but mostly at higher elevations. Lower elevation areas should stay dry. Any thunderstorm activity will be to the northeast and in the mountains. Should be good.

Oh, and I think Ounce was talking about "orographic lifting" -- but that's something that tends to occur on the west side of the Cascade Crest. It's what happens when clouds push up against the windward side of mountains. As they rise, the moisture condenses and drops a disproportionate amount of rainfall before clearing the higher elevation. The leeward side of those mountains (Central Oregon in this case) gets much less precipitation, because it is in what is referred to as a "rain shadow" of the mountains.

Not an expert on cycling in the rain, either, but I'm betting you'd want to dress accordingly... with gloves and eye protection, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:02 am

Not the taper I was hoping for but...

Things on the farm have been an absolute zoo which meant that I needed to step up and help with irrigation.  No heavy lifting but lots of walking through tall crop.  My legs are feeling the effects...they are not rested.

BUT...the weather looks pretty good.  Low 49  High 69  20% chance of rain  winds 5-10   Predicted to be 52 degrees with winds of 4mph at the 7:00 start.  66 degrees with winds of 7 mph at my projected finish time of 3:00.  Looks like the winds may be headwinds for those last few miles but they don't look bad.  Maura can't make it to the ride but she recommended I find a group to help pull me through those last few miles if possible.

AND...I've been having trouble getting my Garmin history to download to my laptop so I can look at the details of my runs/rides.  I finally gave up and went back to the PC that we converted to the farm computer.  I was concerned that the elevation gain on this ride was significantly more than I was used to on my training rides.  CONFIDENCE BUILDER!  The 100 mile ride has an elevation gain of 3393'.  My 75 mile training ride had an elevation gain of 3682'.  I CAN DO THIS!  I will qualify that excitement by saying that my training route has a lot of short rolling hills that all add up.  The Century route has longer sustained climbs.  I'm not expecting this to be easy by any means but I think it's doable.

I'm not very organized so today will be spent making a list, packing my bags and making sure I've left meals prepared for Marty.  Katie will be home later today and we'll load up and head to the valley (2 1/2 -3 hour drive) later this afternoon.  We have a motel booked for tonight.  Packet pickup is at 6:30 with the start at 7:00.  Katie has decided not to worry about taking her cruiser.  She'll relax a bit, possibly go for a hike and plans to meet me at the park for lunch at mile 60.  I'll have my cell phone in case I need to contact her and will be able to switch/add/delete clothes at lunch if necessary.

Can you tell I'm just a tad bit nervous about this event....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hang in there, Nancy! Our cooling trend is coming any. day. now.

Look at the upside for rain on Saturday -- it won't be hot!

Just make sure to recover from all your work-related exertion before you get in the saddle.

Yeah Mark...today is supposed to be our last hot day and it was a stinker.  A thunderstorm rolled through this afternoon.  It was a noisy one and the lightning looked like it was right next door but we didn't get much wind or rain so no damage...at least not on our property. 

I am a bit concerned about the rain Saturday.  They are mentioning afternoon thunderstorms now.  A lot can change between now and Saturday.  And I'll take rain over this heat as long as the conditions don't become unsafe.   I've never been for a ride in the rain so I'm not sure what to wear or do differently.  I know braking is a concern.

I did go for a bike ride after breakfast today.  18.33 mi @ 14.9 mph  I was pretty stiff and my legs weren't happy for the first couple miles but I kept it easy and settled in OK.  I did manage to get in a couple short stints at a high cadence and pulled a couple hills.  I felt much better by the end of the ride.
I have no knowledge of prepping for bike rides in the rain.  I guess wearing a Kevlar jacket might keep your ribs safe, but not the extremities.

Plus, I'd look at the weather, but I wouldn't be much good cyphering out the Forecast Discussion, nor how the hills help in creating lift.

So,  Sleep

Okay, I looked at the forecast discussion from the weather service, and things are looking up for Saturday in Central Oregon. A slight chance of light rain tonight into Saturday, but mostly at higher elevations. Lower elevation areas should stay dry. Any thunderstorm activity will be to the northeast and in the mountains. Should be good.

Oh, and I think Ounce was talking about "orographic lifting" -- but that's something that tends to occur on the west side of the Cascade Crest. It's what happens when clouds push up against the windward side of mountains. As they rise, the moisture condenses and drops a disproportionate amount of rainfall before clearing the higher elevation. The leeward side of those mountains (Central Oregon in this case) gets much less precipitation, because it is in what is referred to as a "rain shadow" of the mountains.

Not an expert on cycling in the rain, either, but I'm betting you'd want to dress accordingly... with gloves and eye protection, too.
Thanks for that, Mark.  So for rain to have to occur in Central Oregon, does the rain come from the north or east?  Or can a system top the tallest peak from the windward side and commence to precipitate?

As far as dressing accordingly, maybe some Vaseline in potential chafe spots?
nkrichards wrote:Not the taper I was hoping for but...

Things on the farm have been an absolute zoo which meant that I needed to step up and help with irrigation.  No heavy lifting but lots of walking through tall crop.  My legs are feeling the effects...they are not rested.

BUT...the weather looks pretty good.  Low 49  High 69  20% chance of rain  winds 5-10   Predicted to be 52 degrees with winds of 4mph at the 7:00 start.  66 degrees with winds of 7 mph at my projected finish time of 3:00.  Looks like the winds may be headwinds for those last few miles but they don't look bad.  Maura can't make it to the ride but she recommended I find a group to help pull me through those last few miles if possible.

AND...I've been having trouble getting my Garmin history to download to my laptop so I can look at the details of my runs/rides.  I finally gave up and went back to the PC that we converted to the farm computer.  I was concerned that the elevation gain on this ride was significantly more than I was used to on my training rides.  CONFIDENCE BUILDER!  The 100 mile ride has an elevation gain of 3393'.  My 75 mile training ride had an elevation gain of 3682'.  I CAN DO THIS!  I will qualify that excitement by saying that my training route has a lot of short rolling hills that all add up.  The Century route has longer sustained climbs.  I'm not expecting this to be easy by any means but I think it's doable.

I'm not very organized so today will be spent making a list, packing my bags and making sure I've left meals prepared for Marty.  Katie will be home later today and we'll load up and head to the valley (2 1/2 -3 hour drive) later this afternoon.  We have a motel booked for tonight.  Packet pickup is at 6:30 with the start at 7:00.  Katie has decided not to worry about taking her cruiser.  She'll relax a bit, possibly go for a hike and plans to meet me at the park for lunch at mile 60.  I'll have my cell phone in case I need to contact her and will be able to switch/add/delete clothes at lunch if necessary.

Can you tell I'm just a tad bit nervous about this event....
I think you'll do just fine.  Your mind is still engaged and ruling the roost.  Although my picture of a picnic lunch during a race is not easy to materialize, but it'll be a great break!

Good luck, Nancy!  Which ESPN channel will this be on?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Looking at weather stations along your century route this morning, and it's looking pretty nice, with mild temps and sunshine. Hope you're wearing sunscreen and having a great ride.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:12 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks for that, Mark.  So for rain to have to occur in Central Oregon, does the rain come from the north or east?  Or can a system top the tallest peak from the windward side and commence to precipitate?

I think the bulk of the precipitation that falls east of the Cascade Range still comes from the west, but it takes a stronger weather system to get the moisture up and over the mountains... and even when it gets there, it's always less than on on the west side. Oregon and Washington east of the mountains is far more arid than the west. It's that whole "rain shadow" phenomenon. It works the same farther west, as well. We get a LOT less rain in Vancouver/Portland than they do on the western slopes of the Coast Range.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:00 am

Good ride.  Long day.  Home safe and sound.

Details after I get a good night's sleep.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:07 am

Gratz!  Yup, looking forward to the race report.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:13 pm

ounce wrote:Gratz!  Yup, looking forward to the race report.

Doug...since this wasn't really a race but a RIDE, I'm just going to put my report here...

Katie and I headed over the mountains late Friday afternoon arriving in Lebanon at around 7:30.  Checked into our hotel and walked to the brewery where they had organized early packet pick up.  I got my packet and we shared a great pizza before walking back.  Early to bed for me.

I woke up with plenty of time to prepare but felt really unorganized and the staff had forgotten to leave a packet of regular coffee.  What!  No coffee!  Finally figured out what to wear (capris, short sleeve shirt, sleeves, & vest) and checked the air in my bike tires and we decided to walk together to the start which was only a few blocks away.  Upon arrival I realized that many bikers were wearing jackets and I almost abandoned the vest and sleeves in exchange for my rain jacket but Katie talked me out of it.  Good decision...thanks Katie.  Downed a couple slurps of very hot coffee before I headed out. 

We were surprised that there wasn't really any official start.  People just headed out when they were ready.  I met another first time Century rider at the start.  We biked together and chatted for about the first 25 miles.  I nearly missed a turn which she caught.  Then we both missed a turn around the 12 mile mark.  Ooops   We caught it before long but had to back track and added about 1 1/2 miles to the ride.  We began to realize that the course was marked on the pavement in addition to the small signs.  That helped immensely...very confusing until we realized what the markings actually meant.  We rode together until the first set of hills and then I let her go.  I didn't want to be tempted to push to hard and she was both younger and more experienced.

The first rest stop was at mile 34...after the first big hill.  Hot coffee!  All the rest stops had PBJ, cookies, nuts, chips, trail mix, bananas, water and Nuun.  This one also had boiled eggs and string cheese.  Very social gathering!

Rolling hills to the next rest stop at mile 47.  We connected back up with the 50 and 70 mile riders at this point.  Lots of new faces.  I was feeling good, maintaining a good pace and enjoying the ride.

Next stop lunch at mile 60.  Lunch was set up at Sunnyside Park at Foster Lake.  In addition to the regulars they had pasta salad, meat & cheese, watermelon, strawberries...and hot coffee again.  The scenery approaching (and leaving) the park was gorgeous.  We'd avoided the morning showers...felt a couple drops now and then but nothing close to rain.  Very comfortable in my choice of clothes.  I was getting a bit tired and stiff but overall really enjoying the ride.  I chose to take a bit longer break at lunch in order to stretch my legs and enjoy the social aspect of the ride. 

Mile 73  Grapes and Banana boats!  (half a banana split and filled with peanut butter and chocolate syrup).  Nice treat after the final big climb of the day.  It was warming up but still comfortable.

Rolling hills to mile 85 and the wind was picking up.  Chili...not me!  Just PBJ, cookies, and banana for me.  I was getting tired and warm but still feeling pretty good.  Removed my vest and sleeves and managed to stow them in the pocket of my bike shirt.  I intended to make this a pretty quick stop but my arms and legs were going numb and my shoulders were really tight so I took a few extra minutes to stretch out a bit. 

Mostly downhill but they did sneak in a couple little hills!  Struggling in the headwinds and getting pretty stiff.  Stopped a couple miles out to text Katie and let her know I was a bit behind schedule but doing fine.  I was pretty happy to turn the last corner and see the high school!!  Katie was waiting for me on the sidewalk near the finish.  She laughed when I stopped...I was a bit wobbly!  I went inside and got my strawberry shortcake and we took a couple photos to text to Marty so he'd know I'd finished safely.  No fanfare.  No timers.  No swag.  The strawberries and the satisfaction of finishing were more than adequate.

So...102.77 miles @ 14.62 mph.  Biking time 7:01:30  Total time just under 8 1/2 hours.  My pace was better than expected based on training rides.  My total was a bit longer as I chose to enjoy the social aspect of the rest stops rather than push to meet my arbitrary 8 hour goal. 

• I think I may have set a record for the most cookies and bananas consumed in an 8 hour period.
  • I was tired when I finished (and the next day) but no real soreness other than a bit saddle sore.  I was surprised that my legs weren't really sore at all but my arms/shoulders were definitely fatigued. 
  • I can't imagine running any distance let alone a marathon after getting off my bike!!
  • Totally different atmosphere than any running event I've ever done...even the run/walk I did with Katie at the Portland Marathon.
  • Very glad I did this and I enjoyed it immensely but I'm looking forward to transitioning into marathon training and biking for cross training. 

And life goes on....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:51 pm

WOOHOO!!  Seemed like things went well.  How can you combat the shoulder and arm soreness?  More rides?  Lifting weights?  I guess you can't do any stretching while going 14 mph.

Very nice report.  How will the weather for your ride be different for he next event or race or ride?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:03 am

Woot! Well done, Nancy! Sounds like a great day.

And those rest stops? So civilized. The next thing they need to add are mimosas. Very Happy

Oh, maybe that'd be best when you're done riding, huh?

I didn't realize this was over on my side of the mountains. I was looking at Central Oregon forecasts! Glad you got good weather.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:53 am

ounce wrote:WOOHOO!!  Seemed like things went well.  How can you combat the shoulder and arm soreness?  More rides?  Lifting weights?  I guess you can't do any stretching while going 14 mph.

Very nice report.  How will the weather for your ride be different for he next event or race or ride?

Mark B wrote:Woot! Well done, Nancy! Sounds like a great day.

And those rest stops? So civilized. The next thing they need to add are mimosas. Very Happy

Oh, maybe that'd be best when you're done riding, huh?

I didn't realize this was over on my side of the mountains. I was looking at Central Oregon forecasts! Glad you got good weather.

Thanks Mark and Doug.  Still tired today and my resting HR is still up but over all I'm feeling pretty good.

Yup...the ride was on the west side of the mountains but the weather was actually perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Doug as far as the arm/shoulder issues that seemed to be an issue even for the experienced riders.  7-8 hours is a long time to be essentially in one position.  I think for me it was complicated by the fact that as I got tired I tended to revert back to old habits and wasn't sitting properly.  Also at the bike fitting I was told my first rib area was tight and he gave me some exercises to help release it.  They help but I think it's a problem that I'm going to have to work on for more than just a couple weeks.  (it causes the arm numbness)  I tend to get tight shoulders when I run as well.  It's just something that I need to work on for life in general and it should slop over and help my riding.  There's some interesting info if you google first rib.

Next event...the 4th of July 10K.  Yup back to running.  I don't have a lot of time to prepare and I concentrated on biking and haven't done a ton of running the last few weeks so I don't expect anything very fast.

Scheduled to swim today.  That should help loosen up tired muscles.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:57 pm

Well I did go to swimming today but it was quite obvious after the warm up that I needed to take a bit of time to recover from my ride.  I opted to do the workout but to cut all the distances in half and do everything at an easy to moderate pace.  Finished up with 1800 yards.  I may have spent a couple minutes in the hot tub before I showered and changed...  I don't feel bad or sore...just tired.

I came home and fixed lunch and did a few odd jobs then snuck in a short nap.  My resting HR was 55 yesterday which is high for me.  It's much closer to normal today at 48.  I'll take it easy on my run tomorrow and see how I feel.  The goal now is to be ready for marathon training and that means NOT overtraining.  I don't care about my time in the July 4th 10K.  I hope to be a bit more competitive in the MacDash (sprint triathlon) in September but don't need to set any records. 

Early to bed for me tonight.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Nice job on the century!  And yes, that is a log time in the saddle and in basically one position.  Glad to hear you made it thru in good condition and aren't TOO sore.

Rest up and enjoy the accomplishment...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:15 am

Glad to see that the ride went well.  Shoulders, traps, and neck are always rough after a full day on the bike, and the only thing I've ever found that fixes it is doing it more.  Kind of like running.  It helps to keep your elbows loose and make sure your shoulders aren't stuck to your ears, but by the end of the day, form goes out the window and it's all about finishing the ride.

The only soreness that might stick around more than normal is your sit-bones, and you won't notice them until you get back on the bike.  Don't be surprised if that lasts for a week or two.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Tim C wrote:Nice job on the century!  And yes, that is a log time in the saddle and in basically one position.  Glad to hear you made it thru in good condition and aren't TOO sore.

Rest up and enjoy the accomplishment...

Mike MacLellan wrote:Glad to see that the ride went well.  Shoulders, traps, and neck are always rough after a full day on the bike, and the only thing I've ever found that fixes it is doing it more.  Kind of like running.  It helps to keep your elbows loose and make sure your shoulders aren't stuck to your ears, but by the end of the day, form goes out the window and it's all about finishing the ride.

The only soreness that might stick around more than normal is your sit-bones, and you won't notice them until you get back on the bike.  Don't be surprised if that lasts for a week or two.

Thanks Tim and Mike.

Yup Mike...I was aware that I had my shoulders in my ears especially later in the day and made an effort to keep them where they belonged but as you mentioned form went out the window and it was all about finishing the ride.

I did really enjoy the ride and I'm really glad I did it.  I will admit that when I started running a few years ago I really got hooked fairly quickly.  I still get a bit nervous on the road when I bike and it really makes my husband nervous.  I enjoy it enough to use for cross training on a regular basis and I plan to compete in more shorter triathlons but I'm not sure it will ever replace running for me.

Speaking of running...I did manage to get in 5 miles today.  It was windy and even though my legs aren't sore they are obviously fatigued.  I got in a few fairly quick 400's but tried not to push to hard.  A few more easy days and early nights to bed are still in order...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Great job managing your recovery week! Even if you didn't "race" the distance, you still set a distance PR and stressed your body in all sorts of new ways. You'll be back better than ever soon.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Mark B wrote:Great job managing your recovery week! Even if you didn't "race" the distance, you still set a distance PR and stressed your body in all sorts of new ways. You'll be back better than ever soon.

I guess sooner than I expected Mark!

I took it easy at swimming on Monday but by Tuesday my resting HR was back down to 44.  I didn't keep a very close eye on my splits during my run on Tuesday as my legs were feeling pretty fatigued but I looked at the Garmin and...

Tuesday - 5.1 w/5 mi @ 10:19 including 6x400 average 2:09 (@8:35) HR 135/159  Not bad for rolling hills and a head wind!  They didn't feel that fast!

Wednesday - Swim 2550 yds  We did a timed 300 at the end and Coach Tim tracked our splits. (We didn't realize he was timing us).  Long story short, even though I started out at an appropriate speed, I got faster nearly every split and had a huge negative split.  His comment was that I was "a planner" but that I was swimming to conservative and needed to take a risk of crashing at the end if I wanted to reach my potential.

Thursday - 6.23 w/6 @ 10:09 including 4 mi @ 9:31 My goal was to get in 3 miles at MP (10:00) but I just kept going and going faster.  I just hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot.  I feel tired and my leg muscles are telling me to be careful but when I get out there things just seem to click.

Friday - Swim 2200 yds.  Lots of short fast stuff today.  Fast 50's were all between :49 and :51 which is really good for me.  Before coaching I was happy if I could finish under 1:00.  Then....he pulled out the capes (belt with a parachute attached)...yup an anchor!  We alternated swimming with the "anchor" and fins and then removing them for more timed 50's.  I just kept getting faster!  :44.3, :43.6, :47.2 (calf cramped), and... :42.8.  He explained that the anchor was tricking out muscles into working more efficiently and also that we were subconsciously correctly any deficiencies in our stroke form.  He pointed out that after just one length with the anchor on I had already corrected the bend in my left arm to make sure I was pulling with my entire forearm and not just my hand. 

This is so much fun!!!!  Boy do I wish I had a running and biking coach...and a PT to help me with my core/strength work.  Speaking of core work...I guess I better step it up and make time for that in my schedule.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:38 pm

And I wish I had a biking coach and the ability to swim with a group.  I'm swimming solo now (well I've been gone a lot) because that is what I expect to do in NY when I get there next week.  Wish I could flip turn again too.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:14 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Great job managing your recovery week! Even if you didn't "race" the distance, you still set a distance PR and stressed your body in all sorts of new ways. You'll be back better than ever soon.

I guess sooner than I expected Mark!

I took it easy at swimming on Monday but by Tuesday my resting HR was back down to 44.  I didn't keep a very close eye on my splits during my run on Tuesday as my legs were feeling pretty fatigued but I looked at the Garmin and...

Tuesday - 5.1 w/5 mi @ 10:19 including 6x400 average 2:09 (@8:35) HR 135/159  Not bad for rolling hills and a head wind!  They didn't feel that fast!

Wednesday - Swim 2550 yds  We did a timed 300 at the end and Coach Tim tracked our splits. (We didn't realize he was timing us).  Long story short, even though I started out at an appropriate speed, I got faster nearly every split and had a huge negative split.  His comment was that I was "a planner" but that I was swimming to conservative and needed to take a risk of crashing at the end if I wanted to reach my potential.

Thursday - 6.23 w/6 @ 10:09 including 4 mi @ 9:31 My goal was to get in 3 miles at MP (10:00) but I just kept going and going faster.  I just hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot.  I feel tired and my leg muscles are telling me to be careful but when I get out there things just seem to click.

Friday - Swim 2200 yds.  Lots of short fast stuff today.  Fast 50's were all between :49 and :51 which is really good for me.  Before coaching I was happy if I could finish under 1:00.  Then....he pulled out the capes (belt with a parachute attached)...yup an anchor!  We alternated swimming with the "anchor" and fins and then removing them for more timed 50's.  I just kept getting faster!  :44.3, :43.6, :47.2 (calf cramped), and... :42.8.  He explained that the anchor was tricking out muscles into working more efficiently and also that we were subconsciously correctly any deficiencies in our stroke form.  He pointed out that after just one length with the anchor on I had already corrected the bend in my left arm to make sure I was pulling with my entire forearm and not just my hand. 

This is so much fun!!!!  Boy do I wish I had a running and biking coach...and a PT to help me with my core/strength work.  Speaking of core work...I guess I better step it up and make time for that in my schedule.
That's really cool, Nancy.  Tangible evidence is such a great measurement tool.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:And i wish I had a running coach and the ability to swim with a group.  I'm swimming solo now (well I've been gone a lot) because that is what I expect to do in NY when I get there next week.  Wish I could flip turn again too.

Keep up the good work.
Hey, 1L, are you doing the theater thing, while up in NY?  And how did last year's changes (or shakeup) work out?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:And I wish I had a biking coach and the ability to swim with a group.  I'm swimming solo now (well I've been gone a lot) because that is what I expect to do in NY when I get there next week.  Wish I could flip turn again too.

Keep up the good work.

I think one of the reasons I'm enjoying swimming so much more is because I'm doing it with a group and the coach is an added luxury.  We don't worry about flip turns.  A couple of the ladies know how to do them but they don't bother.  Maura insists that they aren't all that much faster than a good push off the wall.  It's a mute point for me as my vertigo flared up the few times I tried them so I don't think it will ever be an option for me.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks Doug...more tangible evidence in the last few days...

Saturday - 11.29 mi  w/11 @ 10:25  HR 138/164  Longest and best paced long run since my cardiac event.  (I think this is also the highest I've been able to get my HR while on the beta blocker.  It was at the end of the run...pretty happy with the average HR for the entire run.)  Now for the best part...the splits.

1- 10:48 HR 126
2- 10:52 HR 140 There's that issue with warming up that I've mentioned before.  HR was up to 160 during this split.
3- 10:31 HR 131
4- 10:31 HR 134
5- 10:09 HR 135
6- 10:25 HR 137 Getting into the hilly section of the run
7- 10:46 HR 142
8- 10:29 HR 138
9- 10:43 HR 144 Last big hill...rest are just little rollers.
10-10:08 HR 146
11- 9:06 HR 152  I'd be happy with that pace doing mile intervals but at the end of an 11 mile run...woohoo!

Sunday - My legs are paying for yesterday's run.  Boy does it feel good to be tired in a positive way.

Monday - Swim 2400 yds.  I can not believe the improvement I've made in my swim times. 
            - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.  First time on my bike since my century ride 9 days ago.  Yup...I've got sit bones but they aren't as sore as I expected...just noticeable.  Felt good to be back on the bike.

I've done several searches trying to find information about training while on a beta blocker.  Most of it has been very generic and not really very helpful at all.  I did find some more detailed information a couple weeks ago which I shared at the time which explained a bit better how they actually worked and talked specifically about metoprolol.  Yesterday I stumbled on to a short piece with some details of an athletes first hand experience.  It was eerily similar to mine.  He mentioned the fact that it took significantly longer to warm up and that the warm up was a very difficult part of the workout.  He also mentioned that once he got warmed up he did well and that the heart functioned well even at higher heart rates.  It was encouraging to read that his experience included the ability to train the heart to pump more efficiently even while on beta blockers.  I would love to talk to an athlete who has trained through beta blockers...or a coach who has worked with athletes that were on beta blockers.

I'm not back to pre-cardiac running paces by any stretch of the imagination but I'm exceeding the goals that I thought would be reasonable for me based on comments from the doctor and friends familiar with training while on a beta blocker.  Dr. B did say that everyone reacts to beta blockers differently so not to be disappointed if exercise was difficult but that occasionally some people were able to do well.  Guess I continue to be an unusual patient...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 pm

I just love seeing things work the way they're supposed to! You got a huge stimulus in that century, and its going to keep paying dividends for a while. Enjoy it!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm

All good news, Nancy!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Mark B wrote:I just love seeing things work the way they're supposed to! You got a huge stimulus in that century, and its going to keep paying dividends for a while. Enjoy it!

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:All good news, Nancy!

Thanks Mark and Michele.  I will admit that I'm a bit nervous.  One good run or even a good week don't always translate into a good training cycle.  Part of me is wondering if I should be running a bit more conservatively at least for a few more weeks.  But it is encouraging!

Tuesday - Started the day by attending the Pilates class at the pool.  I haven't been doing my core work and so decided that the class might be motivation in the right direction.  First time ever doing Pilates.  It was good.  Not as difficult as the core/strength workout I normally do but it was a good start and I enjoyed it.

- 6.25 mi w/6 @ 10:13 including 4x800  Avg 4:24 (8:47 pace) HR 142/161  These were a couple seconds slower than the 3x800's I did a couple weeks ago but I'm doing them on the road with rolling hills and it had gotten a bit warm by the time I started so I'm OK with those splits.  I used to try and find a level or downhill area for the fast parts but I've decided that the benefit of training on the hills is more important than fast splits.

I'm continuing to research training while on a Beta Blocker.  I'm finding information but it's in bits and pieces and hard to find.  One site indicated that Metoprolol...the Beta Blocker that I'm on...is one of the worst as far as affecting your ability to exercise but it is also the most effective for my condition so I guess I'm stuck with it.  They indicated that the effect varies widely between individuals but that you can expect your resting HR and maximum HR...and everything in between... to drop 10 bpm.  It also decreases the force of your heart muscle so the flows decrease.  Hence a decreased VO2 max.  They threw out some figures of 5%-25%.  The good news is that with training the actual volume that your heart pumps with each contraction may increase to offset some of the decrease.  The 5% figure was the figure after intense training.

I did learn that one of the issues I'm going to have to deal with is my bodies inability to adjust and maintain the correct body temperature while on a Beta Blocker.  Hypothermia and heat stroke are both potential problems.  I'm going to have to remember to be especially careful about running in warm temperatures. 

A lot of the articles talked about participation rather than competition.  I'm not ready to accept that yet.  I was OK with that concept during my first couple races after the cardiac event but long term I think I can still compete.  We'll see...Dr. B also mentioned the idea of racing for the experience rather than the time.  I may come to the same conclusion at some point but I have to give it my best shot first.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:47 pm

I agree with your reasoning.  You may want to find out from your cardiologist whether your diagnosis is in the mid-range of that diagnosis or lighter or heavier, e.g. if your diagnosis color is 'blue', then is that really a light blue, a dark blue or just blue.  THEN if you're light blue (meaning to a lesser degree), then you may be able to push a bit more because you're not as blue as somebody else).  

Also, you may want call the doc to tinker with the dosage to see if a smaller dose could be just as therapeutic for your diagnosis, especially since you've ridden 100 miles without an event and you'd like to do more.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next