365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

California here we come... - Page 13 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Nancy - you might think CIM a bust - but given your recent history, you made the right call to DNF.  My bet is that if you did not have that recent history, you would have finished - walking and proud - just like I have on numerous occasions.  Marathons are evil beasts sometimes and the best laid plans don't always go that way.  I was very disappointed with last years Boston as I didn't feel right from the first step.  Sure, I finished, but my friend chose to DNF as she didn't feel right either - there are just days where we don't have it - and I can tell you that I have had my share. (I once walked 13 miles of a marathon!)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nancy - you might think CIM a bust - but given your recent history, you made the right call to DNF.  My bet is that if you did not have that recent history, you would have finished - walking and proud - just like I have on numerous occasions.  Marathons are evil beasts sometimes and the best laid plans don't always go that way.  I was very disappointed with last years Boston as I didn't feel right from the first step.  Sure, I finished, but my friend chose to DNF as she didn't feel right either - there are just days where we don't have it - and I can tell you that I have had my share. (I once walked 13 miles of a marathon!)

Thanks Michele...I know in my mind that you...and Mark...and Kevin...and Doug are right and I'm getting closer to accepting that but I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that it's still very disappointing to me.  I'm convinced that my fear was a huge factor and that it did affect me physically as well as mentally.  I am proud of what I've done since Boston 2015...I'm just a little to competitive for my own good at times.

So I've been working on trying to take a closer look at my training leading up to CIM to see if it revealed anything that would be helpful moving forward.  I gave up on putting it in some sort of a chart that I could share here.  It's amazing how similar my training leading up to CIM was in comparison to my training leading up to my BQ in 2013.  Total miles and miles at different paces were very similar. 

• I did swim a lot more this year...not sure that was a bad thing from a cardio point of view unless it caused overtraining.
  • I started my core work earlier in 2013...could have been a factor.
  • Interval runs were very similar and at appropriate paces.
  • MP runs were similar but I will admit that in 2013 I was able to get in a few more miles at MP and they came in the form of slightly longer MP runs...possibly a big factor even though the % of difference in miles was small.  They were probably important miles.
  • Long runs were almost identical and were at appropriate paces.
  • Base at the start of training was similar...with just a few more miles in before marathon training started this year.

It's always tough to compare runs as there are so many variables.  I may never know.  Did I under train or over train?  Was I lacking in specific areas?  Was it primarily nerves?  Was it really just a bad day?  I'll probably never know for sure. 

Will I try again...yes...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:00 pm

nkrichards wrote:

And THAT is the most important takeaway.  Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

And THAT is the most important takeaway.  Approval

Yes, I guess it is.  It's been a very difficult decision to make.  Part of me thinks that I should do the "right" thing and transition into shorter distances and/or triathlons as planned.  (Boston was supposed to be my last marathon.)  But there is an even stronger desire to finish this marathon adventure on a positive note.  I just can't accept quitting yet.  Maybe I'll fail again and maybe I'll end up having to accept a less than desirable end to this segment of my running career.  I guess I'm still at a point where trying and failing is a better option than giving up.

I want to talk to Dr. B before I decide for sure how to move forward.  That will happen tomorrow unless this snow prevents a trip over the mountain.  I have some ideas...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:50 am

Wow...how quickly things can change!

Dr. B told me that I could start tapering off my beta blocker.  I should be completely off by the end of the month.  I will still be on aspirin and statin but he said I might/should notice a huge improvement in how I feel once I'm off the beta blocker.  No activity restrictions at all.

I was very surprised...pleasantly.  Based on what I had been reading I expected to be on the beta blocker for another year.  We talked about my questions and concerns.  He admitted that we really don't know what happened or why...and we never will.  We know the result and we are treating that but he said we'll never know exactly what caused the blood clot that day.  We also talked about the fact that a lot of the things I'm struggling with are mental even though they seem to be physical.  The mind is a powerful thing.

It was an interesting visit.  His assistant had trouble taking my pulse.  She ended up recording 48.  I think she was concerned that she had an incorrect reading and so did it several times to confirm.  I realized after talking to him that he thought that was lower than necessary and that it was contributing to how I was feeling...and he admitted that it could have been a factor in my race.  I think my low RHR influenced his decision to suggest I go off the beta blocker.

It was a long hard day.  I was exhausted by the time we got home.  It was a good visit and I'm excited to be moving forward with my recovery...and a little scared...

I'll check in later once I get things caught up here.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Ride 
Boy, I know whenever any medication is titrated off, that it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

Now, just get your and your family's minds right and you'll be clicking off marathons!!  Yes.  Yes, you will.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Wow! That's fantastic news, Nancy! So happy for you.

I completely understand the whole "scary" aspect of the news, but I've got a hunch that your ambition and thirst for adventure is going to be stronger than your anxiety. Giddyup!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 am

ounce wrote:Ride 
Boy, I know whenever any medication is titrated off, that it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

Now, just get your and your family's minds right and you'll be clicking off marathons!!  Yes.  Yes, you will.

Mark B wrote:Wow! That's fantastic news, Nancy! So happy for you.

I completely understand the whole "scary" aspect of the news, but I've got a hunch that your ambition and thirst for adventure is going to be stronger than your anxiety. Giddyup!

Thanks Doug and Mark! 

I was convinced that he'd want me on the beta blockers for another year so that's what I'd been planning my training around.  This changes things a bit.  I was trying to decide whether I could be ready for a marathon in Newport on June 3rd as Gary and possibly a couple locals may be running it.  It's not to far away and it's flat.  But I'm not sure I should train hard during or shortly after the tapering off period.  I'm thinking I need to let my body adjust and then see where it's at.  Not sure what I want to do now...

The weather is making training a bit difficult as well.  I did get in a TM run on Tuesday and 5 miles outside in 12 degree temps yesterday but it's not looking good for the next couple weeks.  I hate the TM.

Big news is that I'm hoping to meet with a coach in the next few days...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:56 am

nkrichards wrote:Wow...how quickly things can change!
cheers FANTASTIC! Nasty meds be gone. Here's to a hearty and enjoyable 2017! Very Happy
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:56 pm

KBFitz wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Wow...how quickly things can change!
cheers FANTASTIC! Nasty meds be gone. Here's to a hearty and enjoyable 2017! Very Happy

Thanks Kevin...it's a bit scary losing the security blanket effect of the beta blocker but I am definitely looking forward to training without that governor on my heart!

I'm not sure exactly where I want to go from here or how to get there but I do know that it's time to move on.  My return to California didn't go as planned so I think I need to get over the disappointment and set some new goals sooner rather than later.  I may chose to start a new blog before those goals are set in stone.  This seems like a good time to leave my DNF behind and move forward...

Weather is making training difficult but I have managed to get in a bit of training this week.

Mon - Core/strength
Tues - Pilates
          5 mi on treadmill w/6 x 400
Wed - Core/strength
Thurs - Off to Portland for appointment with Dr. B
Fri -  Core/Strength
        Swim 2300 yds 
        5 mi outdoors very easy pace as it was 12 degrees and slippery
Sat - 6 mi on TM w/3x1 hills.  I kept the pace fairly easy but upped the elevation from 2% to 5% for each long "hill".  Definitely got my HR up there.

Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but all things considered it will have to do.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:53 am

This weather lately has been tough for running, that's for sure.

But just look at all the core work you've been doing! cheers cheers cheers

I'm looking forward to your new blog. Onward!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Mark B wrote:This weather lately has been tough for running, that's for sure.

But just look at all the core work you've been doing! cheers cheers cheers

I'm looking forward to your new blog. Onward!

Yes Mark, it hasn't been hard to find time for core work!

And on that positive note I'm going to move on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13