365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

California here we come... - Page 2 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards Sat May 07, 2016 9:33 pm

Mark B wrote:Wow, if that awesome-sounding trip to Hawaii pales in comparison to the bike fitting, I can hardly wait to read it!

ounce wrote:Glad that you had a good time.  23 new hires.  Whew, lotttts of paperwork and copying for THAT.  Hopefully, your software generates the various quarterly reports, too.

Welcome back, too.  As far as running in humidity, that mere 50 miles that I am from the Gulf makes a whole lot of difference on the running, like 5 degrees which is a whole lot.  Running in Corpus Christi last summer taught me that.

Doug...yes they planted the female carrots while I was gone which requires a huge crew.  I had to input the new hire details but the computer program will do the rest for me and we're back to a normal size crew this week...3 full time and 5 seasonal.

OK Mark...here's the details on the bike fitting.

I purchased my bike in 2008 for the first MacDash.  I've never been totally comfortable on it.  I've had it fitted a total of 5 times at 3 different bike shops plus one bike coach.  Still not comfortable.  After the last fitting a friend commented that I needed to sit back on my sit bones more...hmmm.  Why did no one mention that at any of the fittings?????????

I ride my bike for cross training and enough to get ready for the MacDash but I've never really done a lot on the bike.  12 miles is a normal ride and 15-18 was probably my longest ride till this spring.  As my rides got longer it became more evident that I could not sit properly on the bike the way it was adjusted....and I wasn't really sure how to sit properly.

I located a physical therapist in Bend who works with recreational riders as well as elites.  His fitting was expensive but it sounded thorough and included body analysis and suggested exercises.  So I made an appointment...2 hours.

We spent over an hour talking, probing, balancing, and learning new exercises before we even looked at the bike.  He answered all my beginner questions without making me feel silly. 

He instantly realized that my feet/legs were going numb and explained why...I balance by putting pressure on the outside of my foot rather than using my big toe.  He said that compresses the joints and squeezes the nerves.  He said if I corrected that it would help with the numbness during running AND give me a stronger base to push off.  I've struggled with numbness in my feet and legs for years!

Next was hip rotation...lacking especially on the left side.  And glutes.  I know they don't engage like they should.  He provided suggestions. 

He was impressed with the flexibility of my spine.  That's something that I've been working on at the suggestion of the coach I worked with when trying for my BQ.  But I wasn't using that flexibility to help me sit like I needed to...and we discovered why.  I have huge tight knots around my first ribs.  I had never even heard of a first rib.  That tightness was causing me to sit incorrectly and that was causing it to get even tighter.  AND causing all the numbness in my hands and arms.  We got it loosened up a bit and he taught me how to work on it more at home. 

Then I got on the bike.  His first comment was that the seat was to high and to far back and I could not physically ride the bike correctly.  Easy fix.  Wow what a difference it made.  I could sit on my sit bones and still reach the pedals.  I could drop my heal correctly.  Spinning felt totally different after he made the adjustments.  Then he put a PVC pipe on my back so that it touched my tail bone, back, and head and made me lean forward and put my hands on the handlebars without letting the pipe lose contact with any of those 3 points.  That is NOT how I had been riding...picture a rounded back and hunched shoulders and stiff arms.  He made sure I understood how it should feel and then gave me some drills to do on the bike...riding with one foot, riding with one foot and one hand, engaging my core more, explained how to ride more relaxed.

I'm furious that no one ever mentioned any of the things I was doing incorrectly at the other bike fits...not even the bike coach?????  I have a lot of work to do but most of it will also help my running so I get a double benefit from my effort.

And so the test today.........................

60.5 miles @14mph 4:20 riding time.  4:45 including breaks.  It felt better but that's a long time to be on a bike!  I found myself reverting back to old bad habits when I got tired.  At one point I stopped and worked on the first ribs as they were so tight I could not ride correctly.  It helped.  I'm still not eating enough.  That won't be a problem during the actual century ride as they have food every 20 miles or so but I need to figure out a better plan for my long training rides. 

My plan is to step back to a 45-50 mile ride next weekend.  Then 70-75 miles for my last long ride before a 3 week taper starts.  60 miles was long and hard...I'm not sure how I'm going to survive the full 100 miles!  I thought this would be similar to a marathon but I'm beginning to think it's going to be harder.  My HR doesn't get nearly as high when I bike but this is going to be an 8 hour effort!  I sure hope they don't run out of strawberry shortcake!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 12, 2016 10:32 pm

I was exhausted after my long ride on Saturday...much more so than I expected.  I realized later that day that I had gotten to much sun.  I had been wearing capri's and long sleeves and switched to shorts and short sleeves.  I had a mild sunburn.  Not enough to be sore but enough to remind me to be more careful.

Sunday - much needed rest day.  Tired but feeling fine.

Monday - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.
            - Swim 2450 yds with fast 50's  Hard but fun.

Tuesday - 5.65 mi w/5.4 @ 10:27 including 6 x 30 second striders @ avg of 7:43 pace  HR 141/160
             - worked on the new exercises that I was given at the bike fitting

Wednesday - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool.
                  - Swim 2700 yds.  Swam 9 x 200yds after our warm up.  #3 @ 90% (4:00), #6 @ 95% (3:55), #9 @ 101% (3:47)  Very happy with that effort.

Thursday - 8.77 mi w/8.5 @ 10:16 No HR data. Temp was right around 70 and it was bright and sunny.  Pretty pleased with this effort on tired legs and in warmer temps!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 am

Thanks for the report on the fitting! I could see how the suggestions could make a huge difference for you.

The whole concept of bike fitting seems so exotic to me. I rode by bike a lot when I was in my teens and 20s and enjoyed it a lot, but I never got to the point of clips, shoes, special garb and whatnot. It seems so involved now that it's kind of intimidating.

I'm not that surprised that the PT was the one to see the problems. They're better at seeing the whole body and how it interfaces with the bike. (I'd rather see a PT most times than a doctor.)

Great job on the training. That Thursday run was solid!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 pm

I had no idea that a fitting for riding a bike was so involved.

You'll get to 100 miles.  No problem.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Mark B wrote:Thanks for the report on the fitting! I could see how the suggestions could make a huge difference for you.

The whole concept of bike fitting seems so exotic to me. I rode by bike a lot when I was in my teens and 20s and enjoyed it a lot, but I never got to the point of clips, shoes, special garb and whatnot. It seems so involved now that it's kind of intimidating.

I'm not that surprised that the PT was the one to see the problems. They're better at seeing the whole body and how it interfaces with the bike. (I'd rather see a PT most times than a doctor.)

Great job on the training. That Thursday run was solid!

ounce wrote:I had no idea that a fitting for riding a bike was so involved.

You'll get to 100 miles.  No problem.
I guess I'm not surprised at how technical biking and bike fits are.  After all look at all the things we worry about when we're running...pace, cadence, foot strike, forward lean, arm swing, rhythmic breathing...  Most people would say "but you're just running.  Everyone does it."

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement and the confidence.  I'm quite pleased with my progress and where I'm at in my training all things considered.  But I would be lying if I didn't admit that some days it's pretty frustrating to think that I'm pleased with workouts that I would have considered subpar not to long ago.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 pm

OK...enough feeling sorry for myself.  Time for an update.

Friday - on the tractor early raking and baling.
          - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool
          - Swim 2350 yds nice ladder workout.  Kept really nice splits throughout.

Saturday - back on the tractor to finish baling before the rain hit.
              - Royce's 2nd birthday party at the irrigation pond.  Days like this put a smile on my face.

Sunday - Katie stayed over and it was raining so a rest day seemed like the best idea.

Monday - Aqua-running class followed by 500 yd swim.  Mid-day coached swim was cancelled so I joined the morning class and put in a few yards to finish out the hour.
            - Bike 46.5 mi @ 14.9 mph HR 129/152  3:07 riding time plus 8 minute for snack breaks.  This ride was considerably faster than I've been doing and it was on a hilly course.  Pleased but tired afterwards.

Tuesday - 5.3 mi w 5 @ 10:23 including 4x400 Avg 4:12 (@8:47) HR 132/160  I did these on the road with some rolling hills so was pretty pleased. 
             - Finished out the day with some very overdue yard work.

Wednesday - Finished up the yard work that I wasn't able to complete yesterday.
                 - Swim 3000 yds  Coach Tim promised he'd have us up to 3000 yds soon and true to his word we got there today.  I was pretty tired and struggled early in the workout but finished quite well with the last 6 x 75 yd repeats at a good solid pace.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 19, 2016 12:05 pm

No need to feel sorry for yourself, because you're doing great! Not even taking into account what happened to you last year, you are a very active, busy person. Getting the workouts in for three disciplines (most can barely manage one) and balancing the rest of your life is impressive, and having a few sour moments along the way is completely to be expected.

The party at the irrigation pond sounds terrific.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 19, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm sure Royce was fully irrigated.

I agree with Mark.  I wonder about which of the three (bike, swim, or run) requires more effort and as you get better, does that change or will it always be that way?

Does your heart seem to be part of the team and let you do what you want?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Mark B wrote:No need to feel sorry for yourself, because you're doing great! Not even taking into account what happened to you last year, you are a very active, busy person. Getting the workouts in for three disciplines (most can barely manage one) and balancing the rest of your life is impressive, and having a few sour moments along the way is completely to be expected.

The party at the irrigation pond sounds terrific.

ounce wrote:I'm sure Royce was fully irrigated.

I agree with Mark.  I wonder about which of the three (bike, swim, or run) requires more effort and as you get better, does that change or will it always be that way?

Does your heart seem to be part of the team and let you do what you want?

Mark...I know but that doesn't mean I always listen to others or to my own head.  I'm not known for being reasonable!

Doug...yes, Royce was fully irrigated.  We finished up the baling and by the time we got to the party there were a dozen kids between the ages of 1 and 7 all stripped to undies/diapers and a t-shirt and they were soaked.  It wasn't warm enough to swim but no one told them.  Royce came running over to us just covered with wet sand...gave us a huge hug and yelled "mud pies Nanie & Pappy"

So I'm learning more about training while on a beta blocker as time goes on.  I've always been a slow twitch person and that's even more so now.  Warming up takes a while and is tough.  It seems like no matter how slow I start out my body says "hey heart...she's exercising, get with it".  My heart rate flies up quickly and then the beta blocker says "hey...not so fast" and it plummets.  I feel like I'm running/swimming/biking through honey.  Eventually things settle down and my heart finds a comfortable level and bounces along below the beta blocker ceiling and I do fine.  I don't feel overly restrained by cardio issues once I get through the warm up.  But I'm not fast!

Swimming has been the sport that I've seen the quickest and most dramatic improvement in.  Amazing in some ways as they expected it to be difficult as I have to hold my breath.  I think I had lots of room for improvement and now that we have a coach I'm swimming 3 times a week rather than 2 and swimming longer and harder.  My yardage has tripled and the coach has us training smart.  I'm also enjoying the group.  I'm loving it but wondering if I can/should keep swimming this much if I'm going to have time to prepare for my marathon.

Biking has never been a high heart rate activity.  My legs get tired and spending that much time in the saddle is a real struggle now that I'm building mileage.  To be honest I'm not enjoying the biking as much as the swimming and running.  The fitting helped but I'm not comfortable on my bike or on the road.  I am going to complete my century ride and I'll continue to do triathlons...Sprint or Olympic distance.  I can't picture myself doing anything longer.  I have room for improvement at the shorter distances.  Biking is my weakest area at this point. (It used to be swimming.)

Running has been tough.  I think there are several reasons.  I was at a slightly higher level so I'm expecting to get back to that level and that may not be possible.  Dr. B thinks part of my problem is mental...I'm scared to push myself.  I know that part of the reason is that I just haven't spent as much time running because I've been swimming and biking so much.  Once I realized that it was taking a couple miles to warm up and I began running longer I started having better results.  I am seeing some improvement and when the century ride is done I'll drop way back on my biking and possibly limit the swimming to 2 days a week.  I want to be well prepared for the marathon in December.  I'm OK with finishing slower but I want to finish well.

Oh...and I need to get motivated to get back to doing my core/strength work!!!!

Life is good.  I know this.  I just don't always remember it.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun May 22, 2016 6:24 pm

TAPER HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!

Thursday - 6.35 mi w/6 @ 10:45  HR 131/158  I was exhausted Thursday morning.  I had it in my head that I needed to get in a longer 9-10 mile run.  I was relieved when I looked at my training schedule and realized I had scheduled a step back week for running.  I even managed to keep my 6 miles at an easier pace.  It felt good.

Friday- Bike 75.3 miles @ 13.8 mph.  5:28 on the bike plus breaks totaling about 30 minutes.  Looks like an 8 hour century ride is reasonable.  As long as I finish in time to get my strawberry shortcake I'll be happy.  It was a bit windy but cool and a pretty nice day for a ride.  I did a bit better job fueling myself but realized I was running short and stopped at a market for a chocolate bar. Smile 

Friday should have been a swim day but the weather didn't look good for Saturday so I skipped swimming and biked on Friday.  Good decision.  It started raining on Saturday at 3:30am and didn't stop till 5:00pm.  We ended up with 1.75 inches.  I know that's nothing compared to rainfall in Houston but our annual rainfall is less than 11" so that much rain in one day is HUGE.  And it came slow enough to do some good.  A lot of our rain comes in thunderstorms and runs off before it has a chance to soak in. 

So I spent my first official taper day drinking hot tea in front of the fire watching the rain fall.  I'm headed out for a horseback ride with Marty and our oldest granddaughter shortly.

I'll keep swimming, running and biking but my longest bike ride before the century is behind me.  I'll cut back gradually as the ride gets closer.  I'm nervously looking forward to the ride.

24th Annual Strawberry Century - June 11th - 100.7 miles - 3393' elevation gain.  Starts and finishes in Lebanon, Oregon in the Willamette Valley.  This ride was recommended as a very well organized scenic ride.  Not easy but not to difficult either.  They offer 3 distances, 50mi, 70mi, 100mi and they offer a short detour up a very steep hill for the 70 and 100 mile bikers who want an extra challenge.  I'll stick to the main route.  There are currently 231 riders entered and I would expect some additional entries.  My biking friend said it's a great size for my first century.  It's big enough to let me experience riding with a group without being overwhelming.  Did I mention the strawberry shortcake at the finish?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 am

Our little Nancy is all growed up.  First it was Boston, then took a year off for, um, getting her heart back into competitions, and now she's about to do her first century on a bike.  How time do fly.

I won't do anything along the TAPER MADNESS avenue, since there just may not be anything to get into madness about. That sure is a long way for some strawberry shortcake.  Are you going to win the race?  (Sorry, couldn't help but throw that in because I was asked that by somebody clueless about doing marathons.)

It appears the taper will do some good, but I'm curious about how the heart will respond on race day, since the heart has been re-programmed to deny excessive beats.  Do the beta blockers slack up, when the heart is stronger and doing better or do the beta blockers just clamp on the brakes without thinking?

I am thrilled that you're at this point, Nancy.

Down here, we'd take a 1.75" soaker rain, once it dries up a bit.  I see lots of corn, sorghum, and cotton growing in the rural areas.  Are you going to be first in the family when your corn is ready to pick?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 pm

ounce wrote:Our little Nancy is all growed up.  First it was Boston, then took a year off for, um, getting her heart back into competitions, and now she's about to do her first century on a bike.  How time do fly.

I won't do anything along the TAPER MADNESS avenue, since there just may not be anything to get into madness about. That sure is a long way for some strawberry shortcake.  Are you going to win the race?  (Sorry, couldn't help but throw that in because I was asked that by somebody clueless about doing marathons.)

It appears the taper will do some good, but I'm curious about how the heart will respond on race day, since the heart has been re-programmed to deny excessive beats.  Do the beta blockers slack up, when the heart is stronger and doing better or do the beta blockers just clamp on the brakes without thinking?

I am thrilled that you're at this point, Nancy.

Down here, we'd take a 1.75" soaker rain, once it dries up a bit.  I see lots of corn, sorghum, and cotton growing in the rural areas.  Are you going to be first in the family when your corn is ready to pick?

Careful Doug...you're not allowed to call it a race!  I'm supposed to be learning to be less competitive and enjoying the experience more.  Not sure how that's going...  That is one of the reasons I chose a century ride though.  Not only do I have no previous efforts/times to compare it to but it's not even a timed event.

The other thing is that my biking seems to be limited by my legs abilities not my heart.  I don't have the leg strength to really get my heart pumping like I do when I run. 

As far as the beta blocker question...I'm not entirely sure where the ceiling is and if it moves as I become more fit.  I do know that it blocks the adrenalin but as my heart gets stronger it may be able to do more without the adrenalin.  I'm seeing improvement so I won't question how or why...I'll just keep plugging away.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 27, 2016 1:00 am

Good attitude. Not a race. An adventure. An exploration!

And most importantly, the next step in your journey.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri May 27, 2016 10:12 am

Mark B wrote:Good attitude. Not a race. An adventure. An exploration!

And most importantly, the next step in your journey.

Oh yes...and what a journey it's been...

After taking rest days both Saturday and Sunday, I resumed training on Monday.

Monday - Aqua-running class.  Attended the early morning class so I could run into Bend for a Dr. appointment and a bike tune up in preparation for the century ride.

Tuesday - 5.27 w/5 @ 10:15  including 3x800 Avg 4:20 (pace 8:41)  HR 140/161  I did these on the road including some rolling hills so was pretty pleased with the splits...especially when I compared them with my slightly slower 4x400 splits last week.  Pushed myself but not to much.

Wednesday - Swim 2500 yds.  Struggled to get going but finished the workout well.

Thursday - 5.28 w 5 @ 10:54 HR 132/145  I had a 9 mile long pace run on the schedule but I had some things I needed to do in the morning.  By the time I got caught up it was getting warm and windy and I wasn't feeling the greatest.  I knew that 9 miles would be a mental and physical struggle so opted to do 5 miles and run again another day.  I felt a bit better as the run progressed but avoided the normal habit of increasing my pace.  I tried hard to keep the pace easy.  Based on the HR readings I managed to do that pretty well. 

I'm struggling a bit with making sure I taper and rest up for the century ride while maintaining the slight progress I've been making with my running.  I do think that the volume of biking I've been doing along with the swimming and running has left me fatigued.  I will make sure I don't overdo it the next couple weeks.  Once the century ride is in the bag I'll take a close look at my training schedule and cut way back on the biking...and possibly the swimming a bit as well...as I increase my running and try to find the time and energy to get back to doing my core work.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm

nkrichards wrote:Tuesday - 5.27 w/5 @ 10:15  including 3x800 Avg 4:20 (pace 8:41)  HR 140/161  I did these on the road including some rolling hills so was pretty pleased with the splits...especially when I compared them with my slightly slower 4x400 splits last week.  Pushed myself but not too much.

Dang! If you need any proof that your heart is responding just fine to this conditioning, and that you're making great progress, this is it. Well done!

I think you're correct in thinking that your biggest challenge will be holding yourself back as you taper for the century. Good luck!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 27, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't think that non-racers do a taper.   Wink

Maybe it's a word that we, uh, racers use and she didn't want to lay on us the proper triathlon nomenclature so as to confuse us.

How about you're in your 'kick back' period before your 'rumble' with other members of your biker gang?  Mark should insert a biker emoticon at this point.

Continued success in your kick back period.  It ought to do you well.

How's the corn?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 pm

ounce wrote:I don't think that non-racers do a taper.   Wink

Maybe it's a word that we, uh, racers use and she didn't want to lay on us the proper triathlon nomenclature so as to confuse us.

How about you're in your 'kick back' period before your 'rumble' with other members of your biker gang?  Mark should insert a biker emoticon at this point.

How's the corn?

I aim to please.

California here we come... - Page 2 Cyclists   California here we come... - Page 2 Smiley-transport016

"Pedal faster! He's getting away!"

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Mark B wrote:

How's the corn?

I aim to please.

California here we come... - Page 2 Cyclists   California here we come... - Page 2 Smiley-transport016

Nice Mark!  You're good. 

Those riders are packed in there pretty tightly.  The question is are they experienced riders taking full advantage of drafting opportunities or are they stupid beginners who don't know better and are going to end up in a heap on the side of the road.  You won't find me riding that close during the race ride.

So Doug...here's your proof that this is an honest to goodness taper. 

Long ride last week 75 mi.  This week 50 mi.  Next week 20 mi. 

And...I took the time to play around and do another internet search to try and learn more about Beta-blockers.  Here's one quote I found very interesting.  "When Beta-blocking drugs are given to patients..., they will block the access of catecholamines (insert adrenaline for us laymen) to their receptors so that the heart rate and blood pressure are reduced, and the heart will pump with less intensity.  This, in turn, will reduce the oxygen needs of the heart.  The effects of Beta-blockers are greatest when catecholamine levels and receptor numbers are high, as would occur during intense exercise, and are lessened when catecholamine levels are reduced, as during sleep.  Beta-blockers usually do not completely diminish the ability of the heart to respond to stress, but instead modify the heart's response to stress."
I found some interesting stuff this time...more than I've found in the past.

And...I slept till 6:30 this morning and have done absolutely nothing other than have breakfast, visit with my daughter, Katie, and go for my 50 mile bike ride.

This could also be proof that Marty is out of town bear hunting with a friend for the weekend but...

Oh and an update on the corn.  It's up...about 6" or so...and growing.  It's been fertilized.  I'll plant a 2nd batch today and get the water on the garden before the hot weather hits.  I'm sure Mom's corn is further along than ours but our hot weather usually pulls us through. Very Happy

Now I best get that corn seed in the ground.  More details on my ride later.

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement...and the entertainment...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:30 pm

We're cutting hay again...training is tough to squeeze in and it's even harder to find time to update the blog.

I did promise details of my 50 mile bike ride on Saturday.  It went well.  50.2 @ 14.2mph.  HR 113/142  Avg Cadence 74.  I've come to the conclusion that my downhill coasting messes up my cadence as it sure seems like I keep it higher than that during the ride.  Anyway...this was a fun ride.  Felt much more comfortable.  I stopped at mile 26 and walked out to the overlook and sat on the rock wall and had my granola bar and sliced apple.  It was a nice break and I think I made up any time I "wasted" by taking the extra rest time.  Beautiful day with awesome views.

Sunday - rest day

Monday - Swim 2550 yds.

Tuesday - 5.43 mi w/5 @ 10:10 including 2x1mi @ 8:57  HR 135/157  This was a tough run physically and an even tougher run mentally.  I just couldn't get myself going and by the time I did it was already warming into the mid 60's.  I really had to push to keep the pace of both 1 mile intervals at/under 9:00 especially on the rolling hills.  Actually quite pleased with the actual run but I wasn't as pleased during the run as I was once it was over and in the bag.

Wednesday - This is going to be an unintentional rest day.  I was out in the field raking hay by 5:30 this morning.  Mom brought strawberries over and stayed for lunch.  I'm headed out to swath hay shortly. 

The rest of the week looks equally busy...good thing I'm tapering...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I'll chalk my Thursday run up as the stupidest run I've ever done!

I was determined to get some training in on Thursday before the heat hit this weekend so when I got off the swather at 6:30 I made dinner for Marty and myself and when he headed back out to swath I headed out for a run.  It was warm (70) but not hot.  The mistake I made was forgetting my fluids.  My runs have been short enough that I haven't needed to carry or stash liquids.  This was scheduled to be 10 miles.  OK...I can deal with this.  I'll cut the run back to 7 or 8 and I'll be fine...unless I forget to turn and end up committed to 10.  Ooops.

So...running late.  I never run late.
Running on a full stomach.  I know better.
No fluids or fuel.  That's just plain stupid.

I did remember my phone and I figured out a backup plan...a couple places I knew I could bum a drink if necessary.  I slowed a bit and cautiously continued.  The run itself actually turned out to be a decent run.  My stomach and GI didn't feel the greatest but it wasn't to serious.  My pace was decent all things considered and I didn't crash.  BUT when I got home I guzzled way to much fluid way to quickly and I paid for it.  I felt awful for a couple hours.

Woke up tired...as expected after a 10 mi run but fine.  Swimming was cancelled today as there were 120 school kids in the pool!  I have all 5 grandkids all day tomorrow so it looks like I'm going to get a couple more rest days.  Training will resume on Sunday if farming and the heat don't prevent a short bike ride.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:51 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

How's the corn?

I aim to please.

Nice Mark!  You're good. 

Those riders are packed in there pretty tightly.  The question is are they experienced riders taking full advantage of drafting opportunities or are they stupid beginners who don't know better and are going to end up in a heap on the side of the road.  You won't find me riding that close during the race ride.

And...I took the time to play around and do another internet search to try and learn more about Beta-blockers.  Here's one quote I found very interesting.  "When Beta-blocking drugs are given to patients..., they will block the access of catecholamines (insert adrenaline for us laymen) to their receptors so that the heart rate and blood pressure are reduced, and the heart will pump with less intensity.  This, in turn, will reduce the oxygen needs of the heart.  The effects of Beta-blockers are greatest when catecholamine levels and receptor numbers are high, as would occur during intense exercise, and are lessened when catecholamine levels are reduced, as during sleep.  Beta-blockers usually do not completely diminish the ability of the heart to respond to stress, but instead modify the heart's response to stress."

And...I slept till 6:30 this morning and have done absolutely nothing other than have breakfast, visit with my daughter, Katie, and go for my 50 mile bike ride.

This could also be proof that Marty is out of town bear hunting with a friend for the weekend but...

Oh and an update on the corn.  It's up...about 6" or so...and growing.  It's been fertilized.  I'll plant a 2nd batch today and get the water on the garden before the hot weather hits.  I'm sure Mom's corn is further along than ours but our hot weather usually pulls us through. Very Happy

Very interesting on the adrenaline reduction.  It would seem that you could get faster at the same HR by doing Maffetone like Mark does.  If the beta-blockers are going to keep the heart and blood pressure from getting too high, then insert a gear into your transmission, so you can go the same pace at the lower rpm.  Much like changing gears on your bike. 

Good luck on winning on the corn, too!
nkrichards wrote:I'll chalk my Thursday run up as the stupidest run I've ever done!

I was determined to get some training in on Thursday before the heat hit this weekend so when I got off the swather at 6:30 I made dinner for Marty and myself and when he headed back out to swath I headed out for a run.  It was warm (70) but not hot.  The mistake I made was forgetting my fluids.  My runs have been short enough that I haven't needed to carry or stash liquids.  This was scheduled to be 10 miles.  OK...I can deal with this.  I'll cut the run back to 7 or 8 and I'll be fine...unless I forget to turn and end up committed to 10.  Ooops.

I did remember my phone and I figured out a backup plan...a couple places I knew I could bum a drink if necessary.  I slowed a bit and cautiously continued.  The run itself actually turned out to be a decent run.  My stomach and GI didn't feel the greatest but it wasn't to serious.  My pace was decent all things considered and I didn't crash.  BUT when I got home I guzzled way to much fluid way to quickly and I paid for it.  I felt awful for a couple hours.

Woke up tired...as expected after a 10 mi run but fine.  Swimming was cancelled today as there were 120 school kids in the pool!  I have all 5 grandkids all day tomorrow so it looks like I'm going to get a couple more rest days.  Training will resume on Sunday if farming and the heat don't prevent a short bike ride.
So was dinner bear stew?

And, Mark, it looks like TAPER MADNESS has kicked in.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:03 am

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

How's the corn?

I aim to please.

Nice Mark!  You're good. 

Very interesting on the adrenaline reduction.  It would seem that you could get faster at the same HR by doing Maffetone like Mark does.  If the beta-blockers are going to keep the heart and blood pressure from getting too high, then insert a gear into your transmission, so you can go the same pace at the lower rpm.  Much like changing gears on your bike. 

Good luck on winning on the corn, too!
nkrichards wrote:I'll chalk my Thursday run up as the stupidest run I've ever done!

So was dinner bear stew?

And, Mark, it looks like TAPER MADNESS has kicked in.

I am going back to do a bit more research on beta blockers when I can find time.  They are mentioned on the Maffetone website...he says folks on beta blockers need to keep their HR 10 beats lower than his usual recommendation.  I also found something that talks about the effect of beta blockers being similar to the changes that occur with exercise.  I need to look into it more.  I think I can participate in the activities I enjoy...I just may need to do it a bit differently than in the past.

No bear stew this year.  They saw several bears and had opportunities but we have enough bear skin rugs.  They really do just enjoy getting away and packing with the animals and camping.  Purchasing the bear tags is just an excuse I think.  Anyway he had a good trip and we don't have to pay to have another bear skin tanned!

Not a very productive last few days.  My last activity was that poorly planned run on Thursday evening.  It's been HOT and we've been swamped on the farm.  I haven't been getting enough sleep and I've been sitting on the tractor way to much.  I'm tired, dehydrated, stiff and sore, AND THE WEATHER IS CALLING FOR RAIN ON SATURDAY!

We got caught up with the things I need to help with yesterday so other than office work I'm not so busy on the farm.  I just need to figure out how to get race ride ready now.  I need to do enough to get the kinks out of those muscles without overdoing it.  Today is our last really hot day so that's encouraging.

So the plan for today...I don't know.  Either a short bike ride or a short run but I'll try and stay cool and get myself rehydrated and rested.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Hang in there, Nancy! Our cooling trend is coming any. day. now.

Look at the upside for rain on Saturday -- it won't be hot!

Just make sure to recover from all your work-related exertion before you get in the saddle.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Mark B wrote:Hang in there, Nancy! Our cooling trend is coming any. day. now.

Just make sure to recover from all your work-related exertion before you get in the saddle.

Yeah Mark...today is supposed to be our last hot day and it was a stinker.  A thunderstorm rolled through this afternoon.  It was a noisy one and the lightning looked like it was right next door but we didn't get much wind or rain so no damage...at least not on our property. 

I am a bit concerned about the rain Saturday.  They are mentioning afternoon thunderstorms now.  A lot can change between now and Saturday.  And I'll take rain over this heat as long as the conditions don't become unsafe.   I've never been for a ride in the rain so I'm not sure what to wear or do differently.  I know braking is a concern.

I did go for a bike ride after breakfast today.  18.33 mi @ 14.9 mph  I was pretty stiff and my legs weren't happy for the first couple miles but I kept it easy and settled in OK.  I did manage to get in a couple short stints at a high cadence and pulled a couple hills.  I felt much better by the end of the ride.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:58 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hang in there, Nancy! Our cooling trend is coming any. day. now.

Yeah Mark...today is supposed to be our last hot day and it was a stinker.  A thunderstorm rolled through this afternoon.  It was a noisy one and the lightning looked like it was right next door but we didn't get much wind or rain so no damage...at least not on our property. 

I am a bit concerned about the rain Saturday.  They are mentioning afternoon thunderstorms now.  A lot can change between now and Saturday.  And I'll take rain over this heat as long as the conditions don't become unsafe.   I've never been for a ride in the rain so I'm not sure what to wear or do differently.  I know braking is a concern.

I did go for a bike ride after breakfast today.  18.33 mi @ 14.9 mph  I was pretty stiff and my legs weren't happy for the first couple miles but I kept it easy and settled in OK.  I did manage to get in a couple short stints at a high cadence and pulled a couple hills.  I felt much better by the end of the ride.
I have no knowledge of prepping for bike rides in the rain.  I guess wearing a Kevlar jacket might keep your ribs safe, but not the extremities.

Plus, I'd look at the weather, but I wouldn't be much good cyphering out the Forecast Discussion, nor how the hills help in creating lift.

So,  Sleep
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next