365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

California here we come...

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: California here we come...

Post  nkrichards on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:18 pm

ounce wrote:You're conditioned to do the farm work, so keep at it.  If you have an inkling the meds are messing with your mornings, what about taking your meds at the other time of the day?  Take them at night, instead of morning (presuming it's a 1x a day med).

Or maybe get some city folk to have their fill of doing farm work.

Good suggestion Doug.  I did switch to taking my meds at night once I got off the 2x a day med.  It does help some I think.

I woke up a bit stiff and sore this morning...not unexpected.  It was to dry to rake hay.  I needed a bit of a dew to keep from knocking all the leaves off the alfalfa.  Hopefully we'll have a better dew tomorrow.

I spent a bit of time researching my condition, meds and recommended treatment this morning.  Once again I came to the conclusion that Dr. B is correct.  This is the treatment/meds that I should be on at this point.  I realize that a lot of my concerns are purely mental.  I'm a 58 year old female and I'm training for a marathon.  I can't expect to feel good everyday.  I was having some health issues (old lady stuff) before my cardiac event.  It's not really fair to blame everything on my meds at this point.  I've spent the last few days feeling a bit sorry for myself and looking for quick and easy answers.  I realized this morning that the answer is...I'm living life to it's fullest.  The meds are what is making Dr. B and I both comfortable with the pursuit of my lofty goals.  Today I'm going to rest a bit and do my core work.  Tomorrow I'm going to get up, lace up my shoes, and run 18 miles...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:53 pm

Well, yeah, you're living a full life now.  Much more so that a whole lot of other people. 

Also, you were living a full life at a higher altitude before the heart trouble.  Now, you're at a different cap, pushing to get to the old altitude, but maybe the oxygen is too thin to exist.

Enjoy the 18.  I hope to get back to a double digit long runs on September 16.

Running
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:34 pm

Hope the 18 went ok!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hope the 18 went ok!

Unfortunately not the run I had hoped for.  In fact the events of the last 24 hours have been so unfortunate that I can't help but laugh.

So...last night I kicked the leg of the high chair.  In bare feet of course.  By the time I went to bed my entire middle toe was purple and very slightly swollen.  Not real painful though.  Mark....

We were up at 5:30 and had a long run type breakfast...oatmeal and fruit.  The plan was to move a couple irrigation lines for the boys and be on the road before 7:00.  Life got in the way.  I ended up needing to help the boys much longer than planned and wasn't back to the house till nearly 8:30.  It was already getting warm.  In my rush to get out of the house I neglected to rehydrate and refuel.  I ran a good 16 miler last weekend at a pace of 10:57.  My plan was to slow it down a bit and be willing to cut it short if it got to warm.  During mile 4 I turned to make eye contact with a driver waiting to turn and stepped off the edge of the pavement and rolled my ankle.  No sharp pain but it didn't feel good.  I slowed a bit but kept at it and it felt fine after a few minutes.  First 5 miles @ 11:05 but it was getting warm.  2nd 5 miles @ 11:11 and it was getting hot.  I decided to do one more 5 mile loop and call it quits.  During mile 13 I really started to feel unwell.  I walked up a hill...uncharted territory for me!  It quickly became obvious that even a run/walk was not an option.  I was 2 miles from home.  I was struggling and nearly made the decision to call for help but my HR was recovering well and I thought the walk would actually do me good.  It did.  It was 82 when I got home.  I rehydrated but suddenly felt very unwell.  I think/hope I just had a panic attack but it was scary.  I came very close to calling for help but by the time I got to my phone I was feeling better.

So... 15.5 mi w/13.4 @ 11:10  HR 132/160

My toe is fine.

My ankle felt fine during the run but is a bit sore this evening especially when I'm barefoot.  I think it will be fine.

I'm feeling OK...just tired and a bit sore but it took all day to rehydrate.  Very disappointing to have to cut my run short but it was definitely the right decision.  I have a step back week on the schedule next week and then a taper week to prepare for the MacDash (sprint triathlon).  I have 4 20 milers on the schedule so I'll just do my 18 in place of the first one and will still have time for 3 20's without overdoing things.  The heat is definitely an issue.  I'm going to have to be much more careful.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Well, some days you're the windshield and some days your the bug, but sympathy sprains are not allowed on these boards.  Rest seems to be a good thing during a step back week.

If ONLY we knew someone...anyone....that has recent knowledge of ankle and/or purple toe injuries!  Who could that be???? Rolling Eyes
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Some days are just not meant to be - good call and I hope you feel better now.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Quick update.  Yes, I'm feeling much better.

I made sure that I made this a recovery day.  I did swim but I didn't ride my bike to the pool.  I always feel better after I swim.

My toe is fine...no pain at all and the purple is fading quickly.

My ankle never showed any bruising or swelling.  I do have a very slight amount of pain especially when I am barefoot or in flip flops.  Virtually pain free when I am wearing my work boots and running shoes.  I think I was lucky.

Today is supposed to be the last hot day.  Warm days to follow but much cooler than we've had.  And I shouldn't be quite as busy on the farm the next few days.  I plan to run tomorrow...we'll see how it goes.  I'm not very good at knowing when to slow down and/or quit.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 am

Great news, Nancy!  Maybe not a lot of weight was concentrated on your ankle in the fall.  Obviously, Mark's hell raising devil (the opposite of his guardian angel) was not involved. Twisted Evil 

Good luck!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:47 am

Whew! I can start breathing again now.

I swear I didn't send any bad karma drifting east, honest! I'm glad you dodged more serious injury to the toe and ankle. Yipes! What a morning!

Two thoughts on the bad run: First, it was a bad day already and you got overheated and rattled. Walking was a wise move. Second, you're not carrying your phone with you at all times?!? I think you might want to rethink that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:35 pm

ounce wrote:Great news, Nancy!  Maybe not a lot of weight was concentrated on your ankle in the fall.  Obviously, Mark's hell raising devil (the opposite of his guardian angel) was not involved. Twisted Evil 

Good luck!
Thanks Doug...obviously Mark's bad karma did stay west of the mountains as all seems well.

Mark B
Whew! I can start breathing again now.

I swear I didn't send any bad karma drifting east, honest! I'm glad you dodged more serious injury to the toe and ankle. Yipes! What a morning!

Two thoughts on the bad run: First, it was a bad day already and you got overheated and rattled. Walking was a wise move. Second, you're not carrying your phone with you at all times?!? I think you might want to rethink that.

Oh I'm carrying my cell phone Mark.  I wouldn't have to worry about a heart attack if I didn't...my family would kill me!!

I did everything right on the run.  When I made the decision to walk home I sent Marty a text to let him know where I was, that I was walking and what time I would be home. (I was over 2 miles from home.)  When I got home I let him know that I was home and feeling OK.  Then I set my phone on the kitchen counter, had a drink, and went to the bathroom.  I broke into a cold sweat and GI issues hit hard and fast.  I still had my HR monitor on and it showed my HR dropping to 39 and then jumping back to 80.  There was absolutely no way I could leave the toilet to get to my phone which was only 15 feet away....  I think that's enough details.  By the time I felt well enough to get to my phone I'd settled down and was doing OK.  I'm pretty sure the HR monitor was a bit off and that I had a bit of a panic attack. 

Add in the toe and ankle issue and you can see why it was hard not to laugh at it all once I felt better...

Moving right along...my run went well this morning.  6.75 mi @ 10:19 including 3x1mi @ 8:58 HR 133/154  It was much cooler today with a nice cloud cover.  Felt nice and I didn't need to hurry out after breakfast which was nice.  My ankle held up well.  I can still feel a twinge now and then when I don't have supportive shoes on but I think I was pretty lucky.  It doesn't seem like it's going to give me any trouble.

It seems obvious that my issues all seem to be related to the heat.  My 16 miler in cooler temps went fine.  I do think that poor hydration and fueling are adding to the problem.  I like the 5 mile loop that I do and it's very convenient to return to the mailbox for my water and gu but I think I may need to figure out how to refuel and drink more often.  I ran a 3 mile loop for my first marathon training but that is not only boring but doesn't have the rolling hills that I think I need.  I don't like carrying my hand held or wearing my belt...it's bad enough having to carry my phone.  I may have to talk to one of the neighbors and see if I can stash some water at least for my remaining long runs.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:20 pm

I tend to believe the range +/- 5 bpm of the monitor, when it has consistently been working.  My Garmin is good for the first 3 miles.  If yours is working good, the 39 to 80 is probably right.

My recommendation would be to record the event in your notes with all the symptoms, the events leading up to the occurrence, how long it lasted, how you felt throughout, etc.  Then file it away in your top level folder that would go with you to a hospital.  Not meaning to freak you out, but doctors will adore you for anything in writing and will give them a higher comfort level on whatever you verbally tell them.

As far as the heat, it slows me down for 30-45 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees above 65 degrees.

Hang in there.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:42 pm

ounce wrote:I tend to believe the range +/- 5 bpm of the monitor, when it has consistently been working.  My Garmin is good for the first 3 miles.  If yours is working good, the 39 to 80 is probably right.

My recommendation would be to record the event in your notes with all the symptoms, the events leading up to the occurrence, how long it lasted, how you felt throughout, etc.  Then file it away in your top level folder that would go with you to a hospital.  Not meaning to freak you out, but doctors will adore you for anything in writing and will give them a higher comfort level on whatever you verbally tell them.

As far as the heat, it slows me down for 30-45 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees above 65 degrees.

Hang in there.

Thanks for the suggestion Doug.  You got me thinking and I went one step further.  I sent a note to Dr. B describing how I felt during and after my run on Sunday.  He agreed with my assessment that it was related to heat/dehydration.  I feel better knowing that he knows the symptoms I had and is OK with me continuing training...cautiously.

Biked to the pool today (11.5 mi) and swam 2250 yds.  We did short, fast stuff today.  I'm pooped but swam fairly well.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I tend to believe the range +/- 5 bpm of the monitor, when it has consistently been working.  My Garmin is good for the first 3 miles.  If yours is working good, the 39 to 80 is probably right.

Hang in there.

Thanks for the suggestion Doug.  You got me thinking and I went one step further.  I sent a note to Dr. B describing how I felt during and after my run on Sunday.  He agreed with my assessment that it was related to heat/dehydration.  I feel better knowing that he knows the symptoms I had and is OK with me continuing training...cautiously.

Biked to the pool today (11.5 mi) and swam 2250 yds.  We did short, fast stuff today.  I'm pooped but swam fairly well.

Ultreya...
Even better!  Dr. B has noted it in your chart.  He gets some confidence in you because you called AND because you nailed the diagnosis. 

I'd still write it down because you may be unconscious and it'll give something else for your hubby to occupy his mind at that time.  Along with a sheet of paper with all your meds on it.

Just a thought.

You're getting verrrrrry sleeeeeepy.  Neutral
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Yes, Doug.  Dr. B did seem pleased that I kept him informed.  I contacted the race director for the MacDash earlier today and requested a start in a slightly earlier heat.  Not the first heat this year...I'm hoping for heat 4 which should start at 8:40 so I should finish shortly after 10:00.  My current swim time would have me starting closer to 9:30.  She is happy to make that change for me.

8 mi @ 10:20 w/6 mi @ 9:54 HR 139/156  Felt good today.  It was cooler and I was a bit more rested.  I had to keep reminding myself that this is a step back week and this was supposed to be a MP (9:55-10:00) run.  9:54 is acceptable.

I added up my miles for last week.  33.75  No wonder my legs have been tired.  I've had a couple weeks barely in the 30's now but this is my highest mileage week since Boston. 

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:22 pm

That's great!  Now, hope for cloudy skies.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm

ounce wrote:That's great!  Now, hope for cloudy skies.

I am enjoying the cooler cloudy days!  It's supposed to warm up a bit by race day but should still be OK.

So, apparently Coach Tim did not get the memo!  He was not aware that according to my marathon training schedule this is a step back week.  He also forgot that I'm a slow twitch athlete.  I showed up at the pool today and this was on the board.

SPEED DAY

Warmup
6x25 kick
6x25 drill
6x25 swim, odds smooth, evens fast

Main workout
12x25 AFAP, rest :25
100 easy
12x25 kick AFAP, rest :25
100 easy
12x25 AFAP, rest :30
100 cool down

Any thoughts of dogging it and taking it easy quickly disappeared when Tim started timing us and calling out our times.  He knew.  I knew.  Everyone in the pool knew.  He graciously gave us the extra 5 seconds of rest during the last round but explained that the goal was to do the last round at least as fast as the first.  So my first round was mostly 20:xx with a couple 21.xx and 2 or 3 19.xx.  I was concerned I had set the bar a bit high.  The round of kicking really wore out the legs!  On to the third round.  I swam about half @ 20.xx and half @ 19.xx but...drum roll please...my last one was 18.61  It was fun.  I was exhausted.  And I had to ride my bike home.  I really took it easy on the ride home.  I had planned on practicing my transition and doing a short run so I had everything set out and ready.  I went ahead and made the transition and ran just over a mile at an easy pace.  I didn't bother with my GPS.  The goal was to get my legs accustomed to the feeling of running after biking.  I decided that was enough for the day.  Core can wait till tomorrow.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Great job on the swim! That'll show Coach! Wink

Following it up with a bike ride and a short run *might* have been showing off, but it was still impressive!

Bet you're enjoying the cooler weather. I hope to get back out for more runs next week and take advantage of it.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:30 pm

Very nice.  Guess you couldn't sandbag that workout.  Approval
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Mark B wrote:Great job on the swim! That'll show Coach! Wink

Following it up with a bike ride and a short run *might* have been showing off, but it was still impressive!

Bet you're enjoying the cooler weather. I hope to get back out for more runs next week and take advantage of it.

ounce wrote:Very nice.  Guess you couldn't sandbag that workout.  Approval

Doug...I think Coach Tim has us figured out pretty well!

Mark...I had to get home somehow so the bike ride wasn't really a question.  I guess I could have skipped the short run but my gear was all set out by the mailbox so I would have suffered unrelenting teasing from family and we can't have that.

I am enjoying this weather!!

Sat. 12 mi @ 10:37.  HR 131/154.  The cool weather (50's) was quite enjoyable.  I didn't have to rush out right after breakfast and I still finished in nice temps.  This was supposed to be a long run during a step back week (pace goal 11:00).  My body said go.  My head said no.  My body pretty much won that one.  I got several of the middle miles done at a reasonable pace but finally gave up and let go the last 3 miles.   It was a fun run.

10:38 HR 126
10:57 HR 135
10:54 HR 126
10:57 HR 128
11:01 HR 125
11:05 HR 130
10:44 HR 129
10:43 HR 132
10:35 HR 130
10:17 HR 136
  9:53 HR 139
  9:43 HR 146

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 am

Marty wanted to do core work on Sunday so we did half reps.  Just enough to feel it the next day but not so much that I felt like we overdid it.  The rest of the day was pretty relaxed.  We even had a fairly slow day on the farm.  Nice change.

Monday I biked to the pool but I stuck to my guns and did an easy swim.  I did the 700 yd warm up and then a 500 in 9:43 for a total of 1300 yds after my cool down. 

Tuesday I had a Bike/Run workout on the schedule.  I'm not feeling like I'm tapering/recovering for the race very well so I cut the miles down a bit.  I bypassed one of the hills on the bike route and ended up doing 9.5 miles on the bike (15.1 mph, Cadence 75) and then transitioning right into a 2.8 mi run (@9:23).  Kept the intensity up without getting to carried away.

I'm going to drive to the pool today for a very short swim and plan on another bike/run tomorrow but it will probably be half the distance of yesterdays workout.

I got my heat assignment.  I had requested that she move me to heat 4 so that I would start at 8:40 which would enable me to finish just after 10:00.  She chose to err on the side of safety and put me in heat 2 so I'll start at 8:05.  Probably good since Saturday is predicted to warm up to 90 but it's embarrassing to swim that early.  Oh well.  I feel like I'm prepared for the swim but I haven't done as much intense biking this year.  I pretty much have been riding my bike to/from the pool at a moderate pace since the century ride.  Not sure how that's going to hold up on race day.  The run is always tough as there is a big hill right off the bat and it's a hard one after getting off the bike.  There is a nice downhill leading to the finish on the track so the last bit is fast and fun.

There is a nasty cold going through the family...here's hoping I can stay healthy through Saturday...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:45 pm

To avoid the cold, you could make everybody sleep in the barn until after the race.

Good that you got an earlier start, aside from being embarrassed because you'll love it later!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Looking good for the race! The earlier start will help, since it's getting a bit warmer again.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Good luck in the race!

By the way, I'd love to swim 500 yds in 9:43.  Just can't seem to get there as I really don't push at all in the pool.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks all...race day karma must have come swarming my way.  I had a fantastic race!!!!!

We've had visitors all weekend so I'll provide details later but here's a brief update.

1:21:44  6th female

To put it all in perspective this is the 2nd fastest time I've posted.  My PR for this race is 1:20:27 from 2013. 

I couldn't be happier and other that knowing I ran a race yesterday...a bit tired and sore today but not bad...I feel good.

Details later today.  I have some fun stories to share.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:45 pm

nkrichards wrote:Thanks all...race day karma must have come swarming my way.  I had a fantastic race!!!!!

We've had visitors all weekend so I'll provide details later but here's a brief update.

1:21:44  6th female

To put it all in perspective this is the 2nd fastest time I've posted.  My PR for this race is 1:20:27 from 2013. 

I couldn't be happier and other that knowing I ran a race yesterday...a bit tired and sore today but not bad...I feel good.

Details later today.  I have some fun stories to share.

Ultreya...
YEAH, baby!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next