365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My stupid knee!

+4
Michele "1L" Keane
Tim C
nkrichards
ounce
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My stupid knee! - Page 2 Empty Re: My stupid knee!

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:39 pm

Isn't it funny how nice sore legs after even a modest run can sometimes feel so good!  It's a sign that you're making some progress.

You already did the work to qualify for Boston.  My suggestion would be to go and enjoy it...even if you can't train well enough to race it.  You've earned it!

Hope the knee continues to cooperate as you increase your mileage.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Tim C wrote:Just a quick follow-up.  The knee just has not been feeling good and no way could I run.  Lots of cycling at the gym and exercises to strengthen things.  Doc had me get fitted for an Ossur brace and gave me a prescription for Orthovisc injections.  Took about a month to get insurance approval but well worth it - I had to pay a total of $60 for the 3 injections instead of the $1700 going rate....

Got the first in the series of 3 injections 10 days ago and could not believe how much better the knee felt within a day or two.  So I put the brace on Tuesday and tried an easy 1 mile run, with walk breaks, which went ok.  Same thing Thursday with only 1 short stop so I got brave and met up with my normal Saturday group yesterday.  They were doing 8 but my plan was to run the first mile with anyone willing to run that slow and then turn around a run back.  Knee did quite well although I could not believe how winded I was trying to carry on a conversation that first mile - although that first mile is a slight but steady uphill.

Woke up this morning with sore legs.... after a 2 mile run.  Geez.  Oh well, I know it's going to be a long process to get back but I am cautiously optimistic.  I plan on upping the mileage VERY slowly and am hoping the knee continues to improve and get stronger.  I'm still hoping Boston is in the cards...
You'll get there.  What does the Orthovisc do?  Grease the insides?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:27 pm

That sort of soreness can feel like a gift from above after being unable to run for so long.

I hope the injections give you the chance to have a good experience at Boston, and maybe even longer into the future.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:57 am

nkrichards wrote:Isn't it funny how nice sore legs after even a modest run can sometimes feel so good!  It's a sign that you're making some progress.

You already did the work to qualify for Boston.  My suggestion would be to go and enjoy it...even if you can't train well enough to race it.  You've earned it!

Ditto this sentiment.  Who cares how fast you run the course - you worked hard to run that BQ - so just enjoy.  I'll also have to give you proper directions on how to "drop" if need be so as not to stress the knee.  However, I have never met a marathon course that I couldn't walk - lol.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 pm

nkrichards wrote:Isn't it funny how nice sore legs after even a modest run can sometimes feel so good!  It's a sign that you're making some progress.

Thanks Nancy!  Yes, it feels incredible to run, even with a brace and really, really slow.  Just going to take it easy and I think it will come back pretty quickly.

ounce wrote:
Tim C wrote:Just a quick follow-up.  The knee just has not been feeling good and no way could I run.  Lots of cycling at the gym and exercises to strengthen things.  Doc had me get fitted for an Ossur brace and gave me a prescription for Orthovisc injections.  Took about a month to get insurance approval but well worth it - I had to pay a total of $60 for the 3 injections instead of the $1700 going rate....

Got the first in the series of 3 injections 10 days ago and could not believe how much better the knee felt within a day or two.  So I put the brace on Tuesday and tried an easy 1 mile run, with walk breaks, which went ok.  Same thing Thursday with only 1 short stop so I got brave and met up with my normal Saturday group yesterday.  They were doing 8 but my plan was to run the first mile with anyone willing to run that slow and then turn around a run back.  Knee did quite well although I could not believe how winded I was trying to carry on a conversation that first mile - although that first mile is a slight but steady uphill.

Woke up this morning with sore legs.... after a 2 mile run.  Geez.  Oh well, I know it's going to be a long process to get back but I am cautiously optimistic.  I plan on upping the mileage VERY slowly and am hoping the knee continues to improve and get stronger.  I'm still hoping Boston is in the cards...
You'll get there.  What does the Orthovisc do?  Grease the insides?

Yup, motor oil for the knee.  It's made from rooster combs, which explains the cost I guess.  Got the 2nd of 3 in the series today and while the knee and surrounding muscles are weak, it feels pretty darn good.

Mark B wrote:That sort of soreness can feel like a gift from above after being unable to run for so long.

I hope the injections give you the chance to have a good experience at Boston, and maybe even longer into the future.

Thanks Mark.  Doc says long distance running is not in the cards for me but if I can run Boston and then stick with shorter stuff later, I'll be fine.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Ditto this sentiment.  Who cares how fast you run the course - you worked hard to run that BQ - so just enjoy.  I'll also have to give you proper directions on how to "drop" if need be so as not to stress the knee.  However, I have never met a marathon course that I couldn't walk - lol.

Thanks Michele.  My only goal is to run it, even if it takes me 4-1/2 hours to do it.  Although I'm hopeful I can ramp up and train to run something under 4 hours.  We'll see how it goes.

I do look forward to meeting you and having you impart some 'Boston wisdom' on a rookie.  My wife and I are really looking forward to spending a few days there and taking in the sights.  We even have friends that live in an amazing house in Hopkinton and they've offered to put us up while we're there.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2