365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 27 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 27 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am

Well, I have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that I am in no shape to be able to successfully finish next Sunday's 30K within the time allotted (13:00 pace) and I'm not too bubbly about the prospects of garnering an official finish (6 hours) at Houston in January.  Did you notice the bad news did not include any injury news?

The good news is I ran 20 miles, this morning.  It's my first 20 since the last Houston.  I was bound and determined to run 20 today, no matter the splits.  I  t-r-u-d-g-e-d  those last 4 miles.  It was so very difficult (and 52 degrees).  The left knee did its bit to hurt up to mile 2.7 and NEVER hurt again.  Do you kinda get the idea that if miles 16-20 were hard then miles 20-26.2 would be, at best, similar to 16-20?

I'll post the splits later.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:56 am

I ran 4 miles this morning in the new Kinvara 7, after exchanging with runningwarehouse.com the 12's for 12.5's.

It was 47 degrees with no wind.  All that cold air that Julie should be experiencing will be here in the overnight period of tonight.  We're to experience 32 degrees in Houston on Friday morning, if the winds relax.  A blustery day tomorrow with Thursday's high to be midnight, tonight.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:32 pm

In the morning, I'll be doing my 2nd stint of volunteering for the Brazos Bend 100M, 100M relay, Marathon and Half Marathon.  Thursday, I helped at packet pickup.  Both stints will pay for the entry fee for BB50 in April.  I'll be at the start/finish line aid station from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.  It'll be about 36 degrees at the start.

Sunday is the 30K race, but I won't be running it because I won't be able to finish in the time allotted.  So, I'll run long on Sunday morning.  It'll be in the high 50's.

I'm pretty confident that I won't be ready for Houston, next month.  I'd have to see speed and endurance show up over the next two weeks and I've never seen both occur in one cycle at the same time.  It is what it is.  Turn the page.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:53 pm

ounce wrote:In the morning, I'll be doing my 2nd stint of volunteering for the Brazos Bend 100M, 100M relay, Marathon and Half Marathon.  Thursday, I helped at packet pickup.  Both stints will pay for the entry fee for BB50 in April.  I'll be at the start/finish line aid station from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.  It'll be about 36 degrees at the start.

Sunday is the 30K race, but I won't be running it because I won't be able to finish in the time allotted.  So, I'll run long on Sunday morning.  It'll be in the high 50's.

I'm pretty confident that I won't be ready for Houston, next month.  I'd have to see speed and endurance show up over the next two weeks and I've never seen both occur in one cycle at the same time.  It is what it is.  Turn the page.

Sorry about the body betraying you for the 30K and for Houston, but congratulations on earning that trail karma! It'll pay you back when you least expect. it. Here's hoping that's soon.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:In the morning, I'll be doing my 2nd stint of volunteering for the Brazos Bend 100M, 100M relay, Marathon and Half Marathon.  Thursday, I helped at packet pickup.  Both stints will pay for the entry fee for BB50 in April.  I'll be at the start/finish line aid station from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.  It'll be about 36 degrees at the start.

Sorry about the body betraying you for the 30K and for Houston, but congratulations on earning that trail karma! It'll pay you back when you least expect. it. Here's hoping that's soon.
Thanks, Mark. 

The trail race went well.  Caroline Boller, 42, ran sub-seven minute miles for 50 miles and earned the fastest 50 mile time ever run by a North American woman on trail in 5:48:01, beating the previous record by over 26 minutes, plus it was her birthday.  The male 100 mile winner ran in 15:07, the female 100 mile winner ran 14:47:02, which is the 3rd fastest 100 mile time by an American woman on trail. (from the RD's posting on FB)

The weather was 37 or so at the start and about 55 when I left at 1 p.m., overcast skies and a slight NNE wind.  As the evening rolled along, the wind turned south, bringing the humidity with it and keeping the temps in the around 60.  It rained there this morning by a series of quick 'splash 'n dash' showers.

Here's a scenic shot:
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 27 15391189_1893059034262054_2061115683009041620_n

Since I know that providing an escape for runners helps to get there minds off of there hurts, I went to a party store to purchase an inexpensive distraction.  It went over well, as its wings flapped when I pulled on the string.  Definitely worth the $4 expense.  I was stationed at the start/finish line aid station.  Those 7 gallon water containers are heavy, when walking 50 yards with them.

My legs were aching for standing most of the 8 hours yesterday, so I only ran about a mile before turning off the running, this morning.
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 27 Duck_h10
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Nice touch Mr. Volunteer.  I'm sure it was a nice distraction for the runners...and the other volunteers and spectators. 

The women did well!  Congrats to them and all the runners and all the volunteers.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks.  I quacked them up the whole time.  The durn duck never laid an egg (must've been an Oregon duck).

After leaving the race, I thought about doing a Wicked Witch voice saying, "Fly, fly, my pretties!"  Oh, well.  Timing is everything.

-30-

I ran four miles, this morning in the 65 degree with fog weather. 

I got to thinking that maybe to get my body used to more wear and tear that I run two sets of back to back runs a week, instead of just one.  The one set is a back to back of a short distance (like the 4 miles I did today), then the other set is a long run with a shorter distance the next day.

I might end up too tired to do it, but it's an idea.  Might even think to run the 'other set' long run on a Monday/Tuesday and the short distance set on a Thursday/Friday.  That would effectively give me Saturday and Sunday as full rest days, plus the shorter distances on Th/F being lower impact.  Thoughts on this diabolical scheme, por favor?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:59 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks.  I quacked them up the whole time.  The durn duck never laid an egg (must've been an Oregon duck).

After leaving the race, I thought about doing a Wicked Witch voice saying, "Fly, fly, my pretties!"  Oh, well.  Timing is everything.

-30-

I got to thinking that maybe to get my body used to more wear and tear that I run two sets of back to back runs a week, instead of just one.  The one set is a back to back of a short distance (like the 4 miles I did today), then the other set is a long run with a shorter distance the next day.

I might end up too tired to do it, but it's an idea.  Might even think to run the 'other set' long run on a Monday/Tuesday and the short distance set on a Thursday/Friday.  That would effectively give me Saturday and Sunday as full rest days, plus the shorter distances on Th/F being lower impact.  Thoughts on this diabolical scheme, por favor?

Sounds like a fun day!

Nice to see that you made it back out there...hope the 4 miles went well.

I'm going to defer your question to the experts...I'm curious to see what their thoughts are.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks.  I quacked them up the whole time.  The durn duck never laid an egg (must've been an Oregon duck).

-30-

Sounds like a fun day!

Nice to see that you made it back out there...hope the 4 miles went well.

I'm going to defer your question to the experts...I'm curious to see what their thoughts are.
It was a fun day.  It gave me the opportunity to spit off much of my usual bubble left of plumb humor, in addition to 'we got your back' service.  The one flavor of Gatorade we had was Glacier-something.  Anyway, it was blue.  For those wanting Gatorade, I started mentioning, "Doesn't this look like windshield washer fluid for your car?"  It was a way to test how alert they were.  I was even trying to push Gatorade powder.  Just the powder.

-30-

This morning, I ran the same 4 mile loop I did yesterday.  Everything went mostly well, with the balance due to my body wondering why it wasn't in bed.  It was 66 degrees with fog.  Our high temp for today is 74 degrees.  66 degrees is our seasonal high.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Nice hat! This Oregon Duck approves. Approval 

You're the sort of aid station volunteer that runners love, BTW. Good on you!

I think I understand what you're saying on the back to backs. Are you talking about daily doubles twice a week? If you are, that's asking an awful lot of your body. Increased frequency (at a shorter distance) is what seems to work best for me to get my legs back into shape.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 am

Mark B wrote:Nice hat! This Oregon Duck approves. Approval 

I think I understand what you're saying on the back to backs. Are you talking about daily doubles twice a week? If you are, that's asking an awful lot of your body. Increased frequency (at a shorter distance) is what seems to work best for me to get my legs back into shape.
Thanks, the hat was my ticket to escape to the abnormal.

The daily doubles (like the name) would be a 2 shorter runs, then the longer daily double would be a long run followed by a hopeful 50% of the long run distance.  Sometimes I can run on a Saturday and sometimes I can't.  So, I'm mulling when to run the long run double.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:17 pm

Here's the race report for the winner, and American trail record holder, of the BB 50 mile race.
http://www.irunfar.com/2016/12/chasing-ann-where-pigs-fly-caroline-bollers-american-50-mile-trail-best-report.html
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 pm

ounce wrote:

The daily doubles (like the name) would be a 2 shorter runs, then the longer daily double would be a long run followed by a hopeful 50% of the long run distance.  Sometimes I can run on a Saturday and sometimes I can't.  So, I'm mulling when to run the long run double.

Hm. Well, you could give it a try -- but you'd almost certainly need more extended recovery time between the days. Was that your plan? Run more on fewer days per week? That's a valid strategy that can work for some people. If not, I think you'd be increasing the chances for injury.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Love the hat and thanks for volunteering!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Hm. Well, you could give it a try -- but you'd almost certainly need more extended recovery time between the days. Was that your plan? Run more on fewer days per week? That's a valid strategy that can work for some people. If not, I think you'd be increasing the chances for injury.
There were two scenarios:   R=rest, 4=4 miles, LR=Long Run, & SR=~50% of LR.  As weeks go on, the '4' increases.
S  M   T  W  T   F   S  
R  4   4   R  LR SR  R      This one is flexible for running on Friday and Saturday, by making Thursday another rest day
or
R  LR SR R  4   4    R      This one puts the Long & 50% run after two days of full rest (S&S) and two short runs (T&F).
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Love the hat and thanks for volunteering!
Thanks, Miche1e.  I can get you a hat, if you'd like.  They had a bunch of them.  The hat also kept my noggin warm.  My second option was an orange afro for $8, but for $4, I couldn't beat the hat.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm

ounce wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane
Thanks, Miche1e.  I can get you a hat, if you'd like.  They had a bunch of them.  The hat also kept my noggin warm.  My second option was an orange afro for $8, but for $4, I couldn't beat the hat.

Do they have any Beaver hats?  A duck just won't work for me!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane

Do they have any Beaver hats?  A duck just won't work for me!
I'll go check.  But we have a 20 or 30 gas pump and junk food purveyor called "Buc-ee's" on the major interstates between cities.  Their mascot is a beaver, too.

-30-

I ran my long run today with a distance of 10 miles.  It was 52 degrees with a ~5 mph breeze.  At the start it was a little difficult, but everything seemed to settle down and I finished well.  I think 13:30 was the average pace.  Tomorrow will be a no more than 5 miles. 

THEN, we have a major temperature change Saturday night.  The Low pressure coming ashore in Vancouver USA today will dance across the northern tier of states and bring to Texas some major Arctic air Saturday and to Houston Saturday night.  Amarillo (panhandle) will be 17 degrees when it'll be 72 in Dallas and 80 in Houston. 

To wit, "6-12 hr temperature falls of 35-40 degrees will be common over SE TX from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning. Temperatures will likely fall a solid 20-25 degrees within minutes of the frontal passage Saturday night or from the upper 60’s into the 40’s."

Single digit wind chills on Monday in the next county to the north.  Should be fun!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:25 pm

Funny that it was 52F in Houston as it was 38F here in Atlanta.  It will be 25F in the morning.

Don't need a duck hat, but it sure would be fun.  I have an owl one that I wear for cold weather runs though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Funny that it was 52F in Houston as it was 38F here in Atlanta.  It will be 25F in the morning.

Don't need a duck hat, but it sure would be fun.  I have an owl one that I wear for cold weather runs though.
That first batch of cold air, this week, was blocked from coming into Texas.

Wind chill values on Monday morning are to be in the low 20's here and 1's about 30 miles north...subject to change.  But NO SNOWMAGEDDON here, not even Auto Ice Capades!

Everyone needs a duck hat!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:55 am

This morning, it was 48 degrees with a steady east or SE breeze.  That wind direction is the beginning of our warmup until Saturday night.  It'll bring in humidity and warmer air.  We're expecting 80 as a high, tomorrow, before the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

I was able to do 50% of yesterday's 10 mile run, today.  I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to y'all, but I figure that part of why I wasn't able to run 5 miles at Brazos Bend after a long run was because of all the stabilizer muscle use on the trail that's not constantly being used on concrete.  Today, I did have some quad whining similar to a lactic buildup feeling, but by 2.5 miles, it had abated.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:03 pm

ounce wrote:This morning, it was 48 degrees with a steady east or SE breeze.  That wind direction is the beginning of our warmup until Saturday night.  It'll bring in humidity and warmer air.  We're expecting 80 as a high, tomorrow, before the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

I was able to do 50% of yesterday's 10 mile run, today.  I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to y'all, but I figure that part of why I wasn't able to run 5 miles at Brazos Bend after a long run was because of all the stabilizer muscle use on the trail that's not constantly being used on concrete.  Today, I did have some quad whining similar to a lactic buildup feeling, but by 2.5 miles, it had abated.

Hard to imagine those temps...we haven't been above freezing for several days and expect to drop into the negative numbers before the trend turns around.

Probably an accurate assessment of your difficulty running on trails.  During my brief foray onto trails in 2014/2015 I was surprised at first by the additional muscles that were called into action.  I believe the trails will make you a better runner overall though.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:This morning, it was 48 degrees with a steady east or SE breeze.  That wind direction is the beginning of our warmup until Saturday night.  It'll bring in humidity and warmer air.  We're expecting 80 as a high, tomorrow, before the bottom falls out of the thermometer.

Hard to imagine those temps...we haven't been above freezing for several days and expect to drop into the negative numbers before the trend turns around.

Probably an accurate assessment of your difficulty running on trails.  During my brief foray onto trails in 2014/2015 I was surprised at first by the additional muscles that were called into action.  I believe the trails will make you a better runner overall though.
Well, time will tell about being a better runner.  Thanks.

-30-
This morning, I ran 5 miles.  It was 28 degrees with a wind chill of 20, if it matters to y'all, the dewpoint was 17.  The last time we got this low was in January 8, 2015, I'm told.  I had 2 for-winter-running long sleeved shirts under a short sleeved shirt, long tights that are about 10 years old, a HeadSweat I bought as a 'pot luck' purchase that Charles Moman told us about 3 or so years ago, gloves, Smartwool socks and a Buff bellacava with a red octopus design on it.  It was my first time to wear it.  I also had sunglasses on with a clear lens because in the cold, my eyes will tear for about a half mile, if I don't wear them.

I wasn't sure if I would finish 5 miles, but things settled down and I did it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 pm

I always struggle to figure out how to dress for cold weather...especially the first few cold runs of the season.  There are so many things that affect how cold it actually feels...wind, humidity, sun.  I forgot to cover my cheeks yesterday and wished that I'd at least put some lotion on them.

Good to hear you were able to put all that cold weather running gear to good use and that things settled down and you were able to get the full 5 miles in.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:51 pm

Well, it was 62 this morning and I messed up and wore a short sleeved shirt instead of a singlet.  I ran 2 miles.  I have to find the focus again.  I was counting on a less than 6 hour marathon to be the foundation for the 50 mile in April.  I don't have that now, so I'm wondering if for me 13 weeks is enough time to train for a 50 mile on April 8.  The weather will be getting warmer in March, usually.  I wouldn't be surprised if a high of 80 for the 50 mile race would occur.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:00 pm

What a temperature swing! Your body must be so confused.

I'll second what Nancy said about trail running making you a better runner. It works so many different muscles than flat pavement, and it makes it a lot more fun to just go and go and go. I think there's some benefit to pavement, too, but I think we'd all be better off spending more time playing in the dirt. geek

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum