365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Hey Doug...nice job on the barefoot workout and the ramp run.  Glad to hear the knee is being fairly cooperative.

My nephew was living in Royce City when one of the hurricanes hit Houston...I don't remember what year it was.  His in-laws were living in Houston and he went down and evacuated them.  They ended up adding on to the house in Royce City and staying there.  I'll have to ask Josh what year it was.

Stay safe...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Thank you ma'am.  I'm glad hurricanes don't happen around here too often.  The media gets a kick when a disturbance comes off the coast of Africa and they'll have 2 weeks to talk about it.

For the rest of this post, it's just about 2005 Hurricane Rita, just so you can skip to the next blog.

I found this loop of Rita as it was happening 11 years ago.  It make landfall Saturday around 2 or 3 a.m.  You can tell that Houston was beginning to feel and see some of the outlying clouds and wind.  Further, the NE quadrant of a cyclone is always the intensive or "dirty" side of it.
Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 Rita-satellite

And comparing the cone of uncertainty image from Wednesday to Thursday shows the track of Rita to have re-curved much more east of Houston than Wednesday's (shown below)

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 15.AL1805W

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 19.AL1805W
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:51 pm

This morning, I ran 10 miles.  It was 75 degrees and 100% humidity.  Next week's weather is supposed to be 60's for lows and 80's for highs.  We shall see.

The last half mile of the 10 was really difficult.  The knee wasn't too cantankerous, especially if I concentrated on going straight.  I was having to really push myself for the last 4 miles.  Cadence was pretty good through 8 miles.

After the run, the knee was moaning a lot.  No sharp pain, but it was tuckered out.  Walking had a limp attached to it, but at the end of the moaning, which had some real discomfort, it suddenly stopped.  I'll post the splits later, but the overall pace was 14:20, the first half was 13:50 pace, and the second half was 14:50.

Y'all have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:16 pm

So I'll post the last two frames of Hurricane Rita for Friday morning, 11 years ago, and Saturday morning after landfall.

I guess why I posted these was to show how the forecasted path changed from Tuesday to Saturday's actual.  Back then, I was training for MCM.  11 years ago this morning, I was running an almost 20 mile run.  No traffic.  ABC had set up two of their dishes with Charlie Gibson doing live shots near downtown for "Good Morning America," as I ran by at 8:25.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 23.AL1805W
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 27.AL1805W
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:45 pm

ounce wrote:So I'll post the last two frames of Hurricane Rita for Friday morning, 11 years ago, and Saturday morning after landfall.

I guess why I posted these was to show how the forecasted path changed from Tuesday to Saturday's actual.  Back then, I was training for MCM.  11 years ago this morning, I was running an almost 20 mile run.  No traffic.  ABC had set up two of their dishes with Charlie Gibson doing live shots near downtown for "Good Morning America," as I ran by at 8:25.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 22 23.AL1805W

I hope you waved to the camera when you went by.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Actually, Mark, Charlie was waiting to go on and he turned to me (we were 20 feet away from each other) and said, "Getting your run in now, instead of tomorrow?"
"Yes, sir!  Thank y'all for coming down."  I replied.
Then one of the crew said, "Good luck, tomorrow!" and waved.

I was probably halfway through the run, so I still had my wits about me.

-30-

This morning, I went out to Brazos Bend State Park (site of the April 50 mile race), to begin running the course.  I remember various training schedules say to run a shorter run the day after a long run.  Yesterday was 10 miles, so I was going to try to run 5. 

I ran about 2 miles and walked a little less than a mile.  Walking is important, since I will be walking a bunch of the race, but I just wish I could've ran farther, first.  But my calves were tight, the legs were heavy, and it was 80 or so degrees with a 9 o'clock sun.  However, the knee was fine and the paths were leaf covered.  Leaves were beginning to fall, mostly from pecan trees.

I'm not going to beat myself over this.  My legs aren't used to this and the race is 6 months + 2 weeks away.  I'll be going out there many times before April.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Today was a rest day.  I woke up with no discomfort of any kind.  I'm sure my body was like, "Whew!  Okay, let's mend a bit."

Tomorrow will be 5 miles as the target.  Y'all have a good week.  We're supposed to have dewpoints in the 60's on Tuesday and 50's on Wednesday.  Mmmm.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 am

This morning, it was 72 degrees with 100% humidity which is about 5 degrees less than last week.  I ran 5 miles, as hoped.  There wasn't any stiffness, just a bit of crap in the muscles.  They settled into a groove after about 3 miles.  All splits were all under 14 minutes, which ain't bad. 

Temps drop this week as a cool front tries to pass through, tomorrow.  Dewpoints in the Texas panhandle are already in the 40's.  A couple of names for a Houston August and a Houston October are becoming popular in relation to the weather.  August is either Arr-gust or Awww-gust and October is Ahhhc-tober.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 am

Probably a good plan to take a rest day...you've been putting in some nice mileage lately. 

Glad the knee felt good on the run this morning.

Hope that cooler weather shows up as forecast...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Just thinking of you as I heard there was some sort of shooting in Houston.  Either that or my biggest client is annoyed with me.  Just stay safe.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 pm

nkrichards wrote:Probably a good plan to take a rest day...you've been putting in some nice mileage lately. 

Glad the knee felt good on the run this morning.

Hope that cooler weather shows up as forecast...
Thanks, Nancy.  Yeah, I'm figuring out I can't push it too hard.  Well, the weather people keep saying it's going to sift in.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Just thinking of you as I heard there was some sort of shooting in Houston.  Either that or my biggest client is annoyed with me.  Just stay safe.
Thanks, Miche1e.  A client annoyed with you?  Nah, not a chance.  A nut-shell filter is a nut-shell filter.

The shooter was a lawyer, which is a twist on the shooters.  No AR-15 was used, another twist.  However, he used two weapons, a .45 semi-automatic pistol and a .45 caliber Thompson sub-machine gun (a 'Tommy' gun), plus 2,600 rounds of ammo in his Porsche Boxster, which was said by the homicide dept in a news conference, this afternoon.  75 rounds were exchanged between police and the shooter.  No motive yet, but his law practice was in the shitter.  He also appears to be a military history buff.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:27 pm

ounce wrote:

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Just thinking of you as I heard there was some sort of shooting in Houston.  Either that or my biggest client is annoyed with me.  Just stay safe.
Thanks, Miche1e.  A client annoyed with you?  Nah, not a chance.  A nut-shell filter is a nut-shell filter.

The shooter was a lawyer, which is a twist on the shooters.  No AR-15 was used, another twist.  However, he used two weapons, a .45 semi-automatic pistol and a .45 caliber Thompson sub-machine gun (a 'Tommy' gun), plus 2,600 rounds of ammo in his Porsche Boxster, which was said by the homicide dept in a news conference, this afternoon.  75 rounds were exchanged between police and the shooter.  No motive yet, but his law practice was in the shitter.  He also appears to be a military history buff.

Sure makes you wonder what goes on in people's heads sometimes...

Stay safe out there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:50 am

ounce wrote:This morning, I went out to Brazos Bend State Park (site of the April 50 mile race), to begin running the course.  I remember various training schedules say to run a shorter run the day after a long run.  Yesterday was 10 miles, so I was going to try to run 5. 

I ran about 2 miles and walked a little less than a mile.  Walking is important, since I will be walking a bunch of the race, but I just wish I could've ran farther, first.  But my calves were tight, the legs were heavy, and it was 80 or so degrees with a 9 o'clock sun.  However, the knee was fine and the paths were leaf covered.  Leaves were beginning to fall, mostly from pecan trees.

I'm not going to beat myself over this.  My legs aren't used to this and the race is 6 months + 2 weeks away.  I'll be going out there many times before April.

No comment on the whack-job shooter, other than there are too many of them lately.

You sound disappointed with this trail outing, but you shouldn't be. First off, you ran it the day after a long run, which is *supposed* to make it difficult. Second, and more importantly, you switched from running on pavement to running on trails. That can make a big difference. The uneven surface stimulates different muscles, which is great for your but a little difficult when your body is conditioned for the tarmac.

The fact that your knee didn't whine is a VERY BIG DEAL. Woot! cheers cheers cheers

You've got a long time to go before the race. Use this as a data point and see how much better you do over the next six months. Your progress will provide excellent motivation in the time to come. (It'll also be a heck of a lot more pleasant when it's not 80 freaking degrees at 9 a.m., too.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:This morning, I went out to Brazos Bend State Park (site of the April 50 mile race), to begin running the course.  I remember various training schedules say to run a shorter run the day after a long run.  Yesterday was 10 miles, so I was going to try to run 5. 

No comment on the whack-job shooter, other than there are too many of them lately.

You sound disappointed with this trail outing, but you shouldn't be. First off, you ran it the day after a long run, which is *supposed* to make it difficult. Second, and more importantly, you switched from running on pavement to running on trails. That can make a big difference. The uneven surface stimulates different muscles, which is great for your but a little difficult when your body is conditioned for the tarmac.

The fact that your knee didn't whine is a VERY BIG DEAL. Woot!  cheers  cheers  cheers

You've got a long time to go before the race. Use this as a data point and see how much better you do over the next six months. Your progress will provide excellent motivation in the time to come. (It'll also be a heck of a lot more pleasant when it's not 80 freaking degrees at 9 a.m., too.)
I'm sure ATF was very happy to get one of those Tommy guns in their hands, since they've been outlawed for decades.

Anywho, yeah, I was disappointed but it was not unexpected.  I just wanted to get a bit further before pulling back.  It'll all shake out as long as I keep my knee happy.

Thanks, Mark.

-30-

Speaking of the knee, on Tuesday, I must've done something squat related without really doing a squat.  I think I was on my back on the floor and doing air leg extensions, then retractions.  I may have brought it back too much.  I do remember a slight pain.  Because when I ran on Wednesday, it hurt a little on stepping and wouldn't stop.  I guess I just can't bring the knee in too much in any position.

It still hurt Wednesday afternoon.  I knew I wouldn't be able run long, this morning.  So, I'll give it the weekend off and see if it's amenable to me borrowing it for a few miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Oh, forgot to mention about the weather.  It was 59 degrees, this morning.  First time that low since May 7.  Yesterday, it was 62, so we got our first taste of Fall.

Slow return to the low 70's by Thursday.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:53 am

Ooo! 59 degrees! That's progress.

Has you knee ever "caught" at all? I don't know if you'd ever mentioned that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:42 pm

No fair - it was 63F here and quite humid.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Mark B wrote:Ooo! 59 degrees! That's progress.

Yup!  Highs next week aren't forecasted to be above 85.

No, my knee has never caught or stuck or failed to otherwise bend.  I think part of the problem is related to where a quad muscle attaches to the bone.  I can't do child's pose.  For some reason, squatting that far affects the end of the muscle or the connecting material to the bone.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:No fair - it was 63F here and quite humid.
Who said anything about no humidity down here?  With pretty much any morning temp below 65 (and certainly below 60) degrees, we don't care about the humidity level.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:29 pm

ounce wrote:

No, my knee has never caught or stuck or failed to otherwise bend.  I think part of the problem is related to where a quad muscle attaches to the bone.  I can't do child's pose.  For some reason, squatting that far affects the end of the muscle or the connecting material to the bone.
Who said anything about no humidity down here?  With pretty much any morning temp below 65 (and certainly below 60) degrees, we don't care about the humidity level.

Yesterday was perfect weather for a 20 miler...41 degrees at the start and 52 at the finish.  Partly cloudy and winds 5-15 mph.  Humidity...what's that?  Not great weather for thrashing carrot seed though.  We've only been able to run for a few hours in the late afternoon/early evening.  We're hoping to finish today.  The seed company isn't making us meet the moisture standards as a storm system is approaching.  They'll dry the seed if necessary.

Hope the knee is enjoying the restful weekend...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:15 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Yesterday was perfect weather for a 20 miler...41 degrees at the start and 52 at the finish.  Partly cloudy and winds 5-15 mph.  Humidity...what's that?  Not great weather for thrashing carrot seed though.  We've only been able to run for a few hours in the late afternoon/early evening.  We're hoping to finish today.  The seed company isn't making us meet the moisture standards as a storm system is approaching.  They'll dry the seed if necessary.

Hope the knee is enjoying the restful weekend...
Wonderful on the 20!  Hope y'all finished the thrashing.

-30-

Well, this morning I ran 5 miles in 64 degree weather with 100% humidity.  I won't be reporting humidity when the temp is below 70, unless it's just really, really dry.

The knee felt fine for the first 4 miles.  2.5 miles was the turnaround point and just before then, I felt a little pain in the knee.  That was timely, because I was about to continue on to make 5 miles 6.66 miles.  It wasn't a false alarm or drill from the knee, as at 4.25, I stopped for some pain.  It quit, then re-started and stopped again around 4.6.  Stopped again, and I finished the 5.

Afterwards, it didn't hurt at each step, like it did on Friday.  I'd really like to do another double digit run on this Friday.  Stay tuned.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 am

Keep working the knee with the strengthening as I feel progress.  And keep up the running.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Keep working the knee with the strengthening as I feel progress.  And keep up the running.
+1  Hope the double digit run on Friday goes well...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:32 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Keep working the knee with the strengthening as I feel progress.  And keep up the running.

nkrichards wrote:
+1  Hope the double digit run on Friday goes well...
I do work the knee a lot, even if it's just sitting, supporting my leg under the hamstring and doing flexions and extensions in sets of 10.  SOMETHING to work it.  I just can't squat or any movement where the calf touches the hamstring...even on my back.  Just have to baby the damn thing.

Thanks.

-30-

This morning, I did the 'hill' workout at the parking garage.  It was 74 degrees with 100% humidity.  The 1.3 miles to the garage was pain-free and the mile split was a surprising 12:46.  I had stuff on my mind, so I guess I went faster as a result.  I ran up two sets of ramps, then walked down 8 flights of stairs twice and up 8 flights twice.  On the return trip, the knee pained one time and I stopped to let it rest.  Re-starting, I ran up to a half mile from home.  I stopped because it was starting to whine.  The half mile walk was pain-free.

After getting home, I put the TENS on it for 30 minutes.  It feels fine, now, much better than last week.

And so it goes.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:13 am

Reasonably decent news that I haven't had any residual aching from the left knee, since the run yesterday.  Hopefully, that will help me scoot along, tomorrow morning.  Dark:30 temps will be in the 70's.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum