365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Is Flat

+7
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
nkrichards
Julie
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
ounce
11 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The World Is Flat - Page 3 Empty Re: The World Is Flat

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:33 pm

“The World is Flat” was once the official slogan of the Columbus (OH) Marathon, and this year’s theme was “Determined”, and while it isn’t Chicago flat, it is a pretty flat course and this year I was definitely determined.  I picked the race after running the half last year and experiencing how well organized it was right down to the mini-details and the major apologies by the RD for a slight medal mishap.  As many of you know (who read this blog or know me personally), I have been running and racing a long time, and this year I just wanted to see if I could get into good enough shape to run a sub 3:40 marathon while in my early-mid 50s.  My half marathon times indicated that it was possible, but I’ve always thought of myself as a better half marathoner than marathoner, but I wanted at least one more crack at a good training cycle and time.

After a decent Spring capped off with a nice, fun run at Boston and a solid half at Toledo, I took some down time and dropped my mileage back into the mid 30s (mpw) for the rest of April and May.  I then decided to get more serious and see what I could do over the summer and ultimately with hopefully good results in the fall.  Coach Bob and I put together a schedule that had me slowing down my long runs considerably, adding in more MP and LT runs, adding back a mid-week sorta long run, and raising my overall mileage albeit slowly.  I ended up running consecutive months of 198, 216, and 219 miles (July, August, September), running 4- 20+ milers with two over the hills in western NY, and while I didn’t race as much as I normally would (and maybe that was good), I did run a minute faster at the little, hilly race that I do at CHQ every summer, and I ran a pretty decent and consistent 5K (22:09) in cold, rainy, windy conditions.  Although I felt like I was running my daily runs too slow, I was hitting my planned MP and speed work paces even during my three days of carb depletion in the last week of taper.  I guessed after running an easy 3 miler on Saturday morning before the race that I was as ready as I was ever going to be.  So with the forecast for cool temps (30F at the start), I figured that my time had come to trust all the training and all the books and run a marathon.

Fast forward to race morning, and yes, it was cold.  I wasn’t sure how to dress exactly, but decided on my standard skirt (that I always race in), my short sleeve 2nd Sole shirt, arm warmers, longer socks, and a throw away shirt.  Met up with Joe (my old training partner from Atlanta, Nick, Pete, Jenny and Nick's Mom and sister), and we headed to the start.  (I also ran into my friend Gerry that runs with our group here in Cleveland at the hotel, and she walked to ths start with us.) Yup, it was cold - but someone had told me the night before that it was cold at the start last year, so I figured I'd be fine once I got going.  We may have waited too long to get to the start area and drop off our gear as we were still trying to walk to the B corral as they were playing the National Anthem.  In fact, the gun and fireworks went off and there we were at the back of the corral – nowhere even near the 4 hour pacer, let alone the 3:45 pacer (who I thought I might start near).  I didn’t let it bother me, and I even ran an made a last minute (nervous) pit stop before even crossing the start line (roughly 6 min after the gun). 

Just the night before, I had talked to Coach Bob briefly about not spending too much energy bobbing and weaving around “slower” runners and I didn’t.  I just bided my time and slowly worked my way down to the 8:30 pace that I wanted to run for the first half.  I had settled into running 34 min 2 mile splits, and I comfortably reached 5, then 10, then 12 miles right on that goal time if not slightly ahead by half way where I ran 1:51:17.  I even just took it easy when I reached the 4 hr pace group between miles 4 and 5 where it was very crowded and I had to slow some just to stay in sync and not get hung up in the crowd of runners.  At that point, you are running up North High St near the Arena in what I think of as the largest, longest uphill on the course.  I took as assessment of how I felt so far at this point, and I realized that I felt like I had run 5 or 6 miles not 13+.  (It was also here that I tossed off my throwaway shirt onto some grass over the snow fence - as luck would have it, I picked it up on my way back to the hotel!)

I continued to press on and when I mad 15 miles in 2:08 feeling very strong, I knew it was time to go ahead and just let the body settle into the pace it wanted.  We went by the stadium, crossed the river, passed through the cornfield with the “corny” jokes, (My favorite being: Why did the marathoner cross the road? Because his GPS read 26.19 miles), and the next thing I knew I was running right behind the 3:45 pace group and getting ready to pass right on through. I then remember getting in sync with a fellow runner as we passed into Grandview Heights and a nice gradual long downhill stretch.  At this point, I was not paying any attention to my watch, just running by feel, and the course clocks.  I knew where I had to be and actually subtracting the 6 minutes seemed like real easy math.  I think a sign of feeling and being in the zone is that math is easy at mile 21 rather than a struggle.  Shortly after mile 23, I caught up with Raj and Kyle who were looking strong.  I had told Raj the night before that I’d find him in the morning.  Well, I assumed that would be at the start, but instead it was around mile 23.

It was around mile 23 that my watch started doing crazy things – like beating that it was shutting down and restarting – I ignored it, and just kept running.  Right around mile 25, I could see where I was with regards to the Arena again, and I was starting to feel those last few miles (and some where I had run low 8s and even one 7:51), and I knew that if I just hung on as best as I could, I would be well under the 3:45 (after all I had passed the pacer), and hopefully under the 3:40.  On the final stretch, a few people passed me (damn those with young legs), and I pressed on only to see the final clock and realize that with a gun time of 3:44:47 – I had done it.  I had run my fastest marathon since St. George in 2008 and I had run a PR in my 50s!  I even got a cool little pin that they gave out to Boston qualifiers - yup, got that done too for 2017 (and I age up).

(Even my Mom was impressed as she texted me with congrats on such a fast time- woohoo.  If you knew her, you would understand that is major kudos)

The negative split was actually a complete accident as it simply resulted from my patience as an old, experienced runner.  I had no intention of running anything but somewhat even splits, so it came as a surprise.  What did not surprise me was my ability to really just go for it and realize that I was more fit than I gave myself credit for.  All those slower long runs, the backing off in the final couple of weeks with the strength training to let my body rest and properly taper, and the paying attention to my diet and my depletion and loading all came together.  And it is real nice when that happens!

Michele Keane        Age: 53             Residence: Bay Village, OH 
          Show All Results for Michele Keane 

The World Is Flat - Page 3 PpSfF5bEuftuNanUmaJTtD77XqVVPAatmSVa4ZzK9fs 
The World Is Flat - Page 3 GAE6eLWfErDDJ5kqIc8VddXJk0o32rsY0oHI8fUSj30The World Is Flat - Page 3 GX6GDoXRHXmr2Sj2eBYZhhhTjjKcOclN54yzCTsr0bVThe World Is Flat - Page 3 GAE6eLWfErDDJ5kqIc8VddXJk0o32rsY0oHI8fUSj30The World Is Flat - Page 3 INmBeH5Wznrq8fW0Udz1z2iD94xpSRJn2ljWWvxHOI0The World Is Flat - Page 3 GX6GDoXRHXmr2Sj2eBYZhhhTjjKcOclN54yzCTsr0bVThe World Is Flat - Page 3 YTynVs8BwTsTCIlGDz2XJXueeQGuxhRcSSiSLjmSKAkThe World Is Flat - Page 3 K4qCSaseMII0RIPXernKMWHwZw9cQapM2vHLttocjT1 The World Is Flat - Page 3 8OVl5U2HhOkLSxzicWlUi6NJH9kowwedlDsVvREwES1
The World Is Flat - Page 3 CF61g0uXXlplg64jykUMQAZeaSpTO02dWctslSuampl 

[b][b][b][b][b][b]20M[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b]2:47:38[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
[b][b][b][b][b][b]13.1[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][b][b][b][b][b][b]1:51:17[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
[b][b][b][b][b][b]5M[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
The World Is Flat - Page 3 7XM8WrnlXuZTg3oT4hOAai9IucJKD4tdBCUemv3wLKU 8:21 per mile (view kilometer pace
The World Is Flat - Page 3 S4VR7D5DfCiLuktxyQLe7M1kv0JQ2oQmZrWazxhb1cS 73 percent (view timeThe World Is Flat - Page 3 Y7H317qGt5rK5mRsVVNMFs6KfC2qReJIsl3EJ2759VS
The World Is Flat - Page 3 XmRFtC0kzHLb5I6FyHZmKoqJ23XAhEZU7tKUtTnMnz0 821 out of 4435 
The World Is Flat - Page 3 ZUsqH7tU73gUDcHndasinkKvqPdQgnPofv5DMk0Ha9F 181 out of 1969 Females 
The World Is Flat - Page 3 7Ap7pkM3mGUWnvUqAIDduUnD9DPVOlS24D3Gqa9ePaY out of 115 Females in the F5054 Age Group 
                                     (See complete F5054 results)

(note the little unicorn in the lower right hand corner of your time results - cute little BQ reminder!)

http://www.mtecresults.com/runner/show?race=3457&email=1&rid=2398
[th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th][th][/th]
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Awesome race and awesome report!  Congratulations on a really great finish.  You crack me up though on the BQ.  Don't you BQ virtually every marathon you run???

Hopefully I will have a successful run in Sacramento and get to meet you in Boston 2017...

Nice job cheers
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:36 pm

Tim C wrote:Awesome race and awesome report!  Congratulations on a really great finish.  You crack me up though on the BQ.  Don't you BQ virtually every marathon you run???

Hopefully I will have a successful run in Sacramento and get to meet you in Boston 2017...

Nice job cheers

Nope, I have paced many non-BQ times and run a few hard courses undertrained and/or for fun without even trying for a BQ.  And I've had some pretty bad races (in the past) where I crashed and burned.  I'm always still learning.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Wooooooooot!

Great race and great report! Congratulations and well done. Approval

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:25 pm

That's a very nice run, Miche1e.  So, was this plan something the coach came up with in principle and y'all just filled the miles and non-running activities?  And will you use this model for Boston, next year?

Great job, young lady!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Nice race Michele!  Once again you've shown us that we're capable of great things if we're willing to train hard and train smart.  I'm impressed that you sought the advice of a coach even though you're quit an experienced runner...and you listened.  You've also proven that age is no excuse!!

Congrats on a great race.  Would love to connect with you, Joe and friends again someday...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Mark B wrote:Wooooooooot!

Great race and great report! Congratulations and well done. Approval
Thanks, Mark.
ounce wrote:That's a very nice run, Miche1e.  So, was this plan something the coach came up with in principle and y'all just filled the miles and non-running activities?  And will you use this model for Boston, next year?

Great job, young lady!
Thanks, Doug.  My goal was to see if I could still run to my potential one more time.  I sat down with Coach Bob and we looked at all of the different stuff I had been doing over the last few years and he (and I) put something together that we thought was reasonable given my goal.  Having him helped me bounce off lots of stuff and it was someone with whom we could swap war stories all summer as he ran the full at Akron (2:50).  Winter is tough here and the deciding factor as to how much I can use the plan for Boston.  That and the fact that crazy me signed up for a Half IM to be held on August 21 of next year.  I think I will be dropping some of the easy runs in favor of the pool this winter.
nkrichards wrote:Nice race Michele!  Once again you've shown us that we're capable of great things if we're willing to train hard and train smart.  I'm impressed that you sought the advice of a coach even though you're quit an experienced runner...and you listened.  You've also proven that age is no excuse!!

Congrats on a great race.  Would love to connect with you, Joe and friends again someday...
Thanks again.  Joe asks about you all the time, sop I keep him up to date.  And it would be great to reconnect again.  I have yet to run a marathon in either Oregon or Washington (state) - so its not an impossibility for me to get out there.   Eugene is still on my radar.....
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I have yet to run a marathon in either Oregon or Washington (state) - so its not an impossibility for me to get out there.   Eugene is still on my radar.....

Cough-cough. Yes, you wouldn't want to fail to punch your card out here. Let me know if it makes it on to a plan. It might inspire me to start training for something -- or at least making sure we get to actually say hi.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I have yet to run a marathon in either Oregon or Washington (state) - so its not an impossibility for me to get out there.   Eugene is still on my radar.....

Cough-cough. Yes, you wouldn't want to fail to punch your card out here. Let me know if it makes it on to a plan. It might inspire me to start training for something -- or at least making sure we get to actually say hi.

That sounds like fun!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:11 am

Mark B wrote:

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That sounds like fun!!!!

Well it won't be next summer since I signed up for a half IM on August 21st here in Delaware Cty, OH - but maybe in 2017....we will see.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That sounds like fun!!!!

Well it won't be next summer since I signed up for a half IM on August 21st here in Delaware Cty, OH - but maybe in 2017....we will see.
Mark, you and Nancy should check to see if there's a 50 States Half Ironman ticket to punch.  She might have a different itch to scratch on August 22.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:29 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That sounds like fun!!!!

Mark, you and Nancy should check to see if there's a 50 States Half Ironman ticket to punch.  She might have a different itch to scratch on August 22.

I can't really picture Michele doing a Half Ironman in every state but I'm sure interested to see how all this cross training affects the running.

2017 or even 2018 probably works better than 2016 for me.  And gives Doug and maybe Nick time to figure out how to fit a trip to Oregon or Washington into their schedule. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:30 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That sounds like fun!!!!

I can't really picture Michele doing a Half Ironman in every state but I'm sure interested to see how all this cross training affects the running.

2017 or even 2018 probably works better than 2016 for me.  And gives Doug and maybe Nick time to figure out how to fit a trip to Oregon or Washington into their schedule. Smile

Ooo! ALL of them? The mind jiggles. cyclops

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

That sounds like fun!!!!

Ooo! ALL of them? The mind jiggles. cyclops
Is there such a thing as a flat marathon in Oregon or Washington?

And Miche1e, good luck on Sunday!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:24 am

ounce wrote:
Is there such a thing as a flat marathon in Oregon or Washington?

Well, not Chicago flat, but none of the marathons I know of (Portland, Eugene, Vancouver USA) are overly hilly.

Good luck, Michele!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:59 am

Gratz, Miche1e!  Looking forward to a note about it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:02 pm

So I have returned from NYC and a successful run last Sunday.  Just remind me not to run two marathons so close again (can't imagine what running 50 miles would be like).  I had run marathons within 4 wks of each other before, but not within two.  I can tell you that I was indeed well trained this cycle, probably the best fitness in years and it was pretty obvious in that I didn't hit the wall or fall apart at all on Sunday even if I couldn't maintain the pace to run with Mary Pat and try to go under 4 (I knew that was a long shot).  I did have a lot of fun during the race and during the entire weekend and it is nice to run a race without any real stress.

I did try to keep MP on a specific pace until just after half way.  I was trying to stay with her until the Queensboro Bridge, but I needed to make a pit stop after we crossed the Pulaski Bridge and then I saw a friend's daughter and I stopped to give her a hug.  I had MP run ahead as she was hoping to run around 3:55 to re-qualify for Boston again.  I then stopped and had a beer (yes, I actually drank a small solo cup of Sam Adams Octoberfest) just passed mile 20.  I figured I'd better not stay too long or I'd tighten up too much and it was a bit tough to get going after those first few steps, but once I got going it was all about finishing and no matter how slow the pace, I was going to get to the finish line.  As it was, I ran all of the race and was actually kind of surprised as to the numbers of runners "walking" in the last 10K.  In fact, there were runners walking on the Verrazano Bridge - what gives with that?

The NY marathon is still a race like no other, but this was certainly the most crowded that I have ever felt running this race.  It was my slowest time on the course (planned) but still walking from mile 1?? Trying to figure out how they seed the waves and corrals and I just hope that it isn't like my hubby says and that money "talks".  If you watch the taping of the race, you will see what I mean with what looks like a lot of "non" and "slower" runners even in wave 1!  After all, I finished almost 10,000 places a head of my "seeded" number. 

Any way, it is now time for a month of recovery and then a re-build into Boston.  It is supposed to be a warmer winter because of El Nino and if today is any indication, I'm on board.  After all, who thought it could be over 70F in November in Cleveland, OH.

Final time for NY Marathon in 2015 was 4:07:07, and yes (TimC) it is a BQ for 2017 as I age up.  That was something very unexpected.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Nice going, Miche1e!!  I actually ran 2 marathons two weeks apart in 2006.  When I heard the quantity of 50,000 running it, I was stunned if nothing else for how long it'll take everyone to cross the start mat.

Just don't get too flabby in your convalescence.  Rolling Eyes
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Congrats on getting the second race done, and securing a BQ, to boot!

I think you're kidding yourself about 50 milers. Sure, they can hurt, but they're not run in the same way as a marathon. Running 50 miles at marathon-level intensity would 1) be complete hell, but 2) put you in a position to win. So, there's that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:16 am

Congrats Michele.  That has to be pretty satisfying knowing that you had the fitness to pull off a second BQ on such a short turn around.  Hope the winter cooperates and your Boston training goes well.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Nice job Michele.  Having only run 4 marathons and being in the thick of training seriously for one right now, I can't imagine running two that close together.  You're obviously in great shape.

Here's to ageing up in 2017...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Haven't blogged in a while, but I have been running.  Last couple of days have been really hard as I had to put my sweet Sarah to rest on Friday morning.  All dogs go to heaven though, so I know she is in good hands.  Saturday and Sunday runs sucked as I'm just a bit of a wreck, and honestly, even though it is very warm (60s!) the humidity is so high that it has just been uncomfortable.  That coupled with my general feelings of grief have not made for a fun last couple of runs.  Maybe tomorrow......sigh.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Haven't blogged in a while, but I have been running.  Last couple of days have been really hard as I had to put my sweet Sarah to rest on Friday morning.  All dogs go to heaven though, so I know she is in good hands.  Saturday and Sunday runs sucked as I'm just a bit of a wreck, and honestly, even though it is very warm (60s!) the humidity is so high that it has just been uncomfortable.  That coupled with my general feelings of grief have not made for a fun last couple of runs.  Maybe tomorrow......sigh.

I'm sorry, Michele. I had to put my 7 year old Golden Retriever down a few years ago and I could not believe how hard the next few days were. It will get better though.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:02 am

I've been AWOL Michele but just read your two race reports. What an amazing race to get that time in Columbus, I should look into that race, I don't think it's that far away. Really nice job adjusting your training around. Your coach sounds really good too, is he in Cleveland now or from Atlanta?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next