365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Admin on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping this site going.  There are only a handful of people using it and there is nothing here that can't be done elsewhere (like RunningAhead.com where you can create your own shared forum).

Seems like it's time has come and gone.  Think about it... and prepare for it's potential demise.  Sad

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 4191
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Crying or Very sad
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12288
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 38
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 pm

pale

Well, crap. Does it cost anything to maintain this site? If so, how much?

Also, if the site shuts down, what would happen to the old content? Would GoDaddy maintain old links, or flush 'em down the digital toilet?

Annnd... would it be possible to migrate content (i.e. blog posts) from this site to a new blog elsewhere?

The number of active users has fallen off a lot over the years, but it'd be nice to keep in touch and continue to follow each others' training.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  ounce on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Well, let's send out feelers and figure out where the best place to go would be.

And let's make sure all of the remaining regulars know about it.  Nancy comes to mind.  Mike, Julie, Dot, and Miche1e, too.  I'm sure that I've left somebody out, but sadly not much more than that.  Maybe Kevin.

Our personal data and momentos should be our personal responsibility to collect.
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:34 pm

I guess a key will be finding out if GoDaddy wants us off, or wants money for their server space. If it's a matter of Matt not wanting the hassle of dealing with the site, maybe that can be transferred to someone else. I'm sure one of us would be able to keep it rolling. It'd be a lot simpler than setting up a whole new site elsewhere.

What do you all think?
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm

@ounce wrote:Well, let's send out feelers and figure out where the best place to go would be.

And let's make sure all of the remaining regulars know about it.  Nancy comes to mind.  Mike, Julie, Dot, and Miche1e, too.  I'm sure that I've left somebody out, but sadly not much more than that.  Maybe Kevin.

Our personal data and momentos should be our personal responsibility to collect.

Don't forget Nick, the Daves, Julie, and the Schueys.

There are a lot of other venues, but I'd like to think this group is special.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  ounce on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:27 am

@Mark B wrote:I guess a key will be finding out if GoDaddy wants us off, or wants money for their server space. If it's a matter of Matt not wanting the hassle of dealing with the site, maybe that can be transferred to someone else. I'm sure one of us would be able to keep it rolling. It'd be a lot simpler than setting up a whole new site elsewhere.

What do you all think?
If it's a matter of an Admin, each of us could do it.  If it's a matter of money, I'd have to see the dollar amount first.

And I'm not so sure we need to set up a new site, but just find a non-Runners World site that we can just start blogging in.
@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:Well, let's send out feelers and figure out where the best place to go would be.

And let's make sure all of the remaining regulars know about it.  Nancy comes to mind.  Mike, Julie, Dot, and Miche1e, too.  I'm sure that I've left somebody out, but sadly not much more than that.  Maybe Kevin.

Our personal data and momentos should be our personal responsibility to collect.

Don't forget Nick, the Daves, Julie, and the Schueys.

There are a lot of other venues, but I'd like to think this group is special.
Anybody that wants to know where we've gone is certainly welcome.  But like getting evicted, we need to start looking for another place to land, if staying is not feasible.
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

Seeing as the V-Team had a pretty healthy revival on Facebook as of Jan 1, I'm guessing that's the natural next step for this site.  I definitely did and do appreciate it as a separate forum, but I have to agree that it's boiled down to a very select few of us.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3175
Points : 8037
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 31
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  ounce on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:31 pm

True,Mike, but I don't see Facebook as a method of blogging, like we do.  Miche1e uses blogspot, I believe, but that doesn't lend itself to 'community' like this website does.

Does Strata or is that just another form of Garmin Connect?
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:43 pm

@ounce wrote:True,Mike, but I don't see Facebook as a method of blogging, like we do.  Miche1e uses blogspot, I believe, but that doesn't lend itself to 'community' like this website does.

Does Strata or is that just another form of Garmin Connect?

Strava is more like Garmin Connect, with a little bit of Facebook thrown in. There's the ability to give "kudos" to someone's workout, or to comment on it, but it doesn't work well for a continuing narrative or extended conversation. That's the thing that's had me coming back here over the years (and to Hal's site before that) -- for the give-and-take that only a community can provide.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm

I'd love a site where we can still share training info like the blogs.  FB is nice and we can/have migrated some to the V-team FB site, but Kevin, for one, and I know others, do not use FB for a variety of reasons.  Most of my teacher friends do not and I think others have some privacy issues, etc. which I completely understand.  

Hopefully Matt will let us know the price as I'm betting that is the secret and hopefully it is reasonable and we can keep it going for now.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4857
Points : 11780
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  mountandog on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:38 pm

bummer
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1394
Points : 5907
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 62
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Julie on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I left the FB group after a few hrs to avoid wasting too much time there, but if this is too expensive or just not working out, I understand.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2612
Points : 6661
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Julie on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 pm

But yeah, I'd miss seeing all of your training and having great support for running issues. I have my local running group and they're great but I've always appreciated this community as well as the v-team prior.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2612
Points : 6661
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  fostever on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Or all can go back to Hal's site! This should get some responses! haha
avatar
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1371
Points : 5797
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 59
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:16 pm

@fostever wrote:Or all can go back to Hal's site! This should get some responses! haha

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that... What a Face
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Julie on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@fostever wrote:Or all can go back to Hal's site! This should get some responses! haha

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that... What a Face

mercy...
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2612
Points : 6661
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  ounce on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:43 pm

@Julie wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@fostever wrote:Or all can go back to Hal's site! This should get some responses! haha

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that... What a Face

mercy...
Laughing
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Hal still has a site?????

scratch scratch
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12288
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 38
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:Hal still has a site?????

scratch scratch

Actually, yes: It's buried in with Training Peaks site. I went to check it today. It has only a Q&A Forum, which hasn't had a post in a month, and a Blogs list that hasn't had a post in 10 months....



Some of our old blogs are still floating around in there, too.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Julie on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:08 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Hal still has a site?????

scratch scratch

Actually, yes: It's buried in with Training Peaks site. I went to check it today. It has only a Q&A Forum, which hasn't had a post in a month, and a Blogs list that hasn't had a post in 10 months....



Some of our old blogs are still floating around in there, too.


I don't see us all migrating back....
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2612
Points : 6661
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:43 pm

But migrating back and taking over would sure be funny......
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4857
Points : 11780
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Mark B on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:But migrating back and taking over would sure be funny......

I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't occurred to me...
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7496
Points : 16502
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  ounce on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:26 pm

@Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:But migrating back and taking over would sure be funny......

I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't occurred to me...
We wouldn't want you to lie, Mark, since you're The Colombian and all. Wink

But are we supposing the others left because they got tired of blogging or following or life got in the way or what?  I tend to think, and this is only my opinion, that when Dave stopped blogging because he wasn't able to finish a marathon without barfing on the course, the drop off began.  I don't blame Dave one iota, but he was the fastest person on the site and people were genuinely interested in how he was doing. 

I'm not on the site as much because of setting things up for my start up.  (Boy, does it take a lot of time, too.) 

Hal used to say that he didn't frequent the blogs because that was our space.  I don't mind swallowing some pride and going back.  And as the weeks go by, I'll be blogging more because it's about time to do the pre-training for Houston (meaning heat acclimatizing).
avatar
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5010
Points : 13983
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 61
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Admin on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Hey gang... it's really not so much a cost issue.  I can't turn around without hitting stacks of cash.  Money 

Honestly, it was just a question of whether it's worth it (or the 'right' thing to do) given the dramatic drop off in user participation.  It doesn't bother me one bit that people have moved onto other things, places, etc... just seems like there are really only 2 things left:

1) conversational posts
2) blogs

Both of those can easily be hosted (for free) by RunningAhead (which also offers lots of really cool runner stuff).  A user can simply register and create a new Forum specifically for their own group's use.  And Eric (the eternally smiling dude) doesn't have stupid limits on message threads that auto-create new thread and lock the old ones...

In fact, I went ahead and created a new Group named 365Runners.  It can be accessed here:
365Runners

The password is 'higdon'.  I can make others admins, who can then do whatever they desire. 

That said, if it's important enough to you guys, I can easily renew this domain with GoDaddy and keep the site going.  It's a whopping $9.98 for 2 years...

Wait, I mean it's $998.00 and I will PM each of you my PayPal account for donations... lol! 

Hope everyone is well!  The running weather is returning for most of us... so get out there and... RUN MORE!

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 4191
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 60 day notice from GoDaddy...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum