365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  ounce Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:10 pm

I don't know if I would kick yourself in the ass THAT hard.  You stubbed your toe.  Broke some blood vessels.  And the TOE is the only thing that hurts.  Big deal.  No need to cover your toes because you'll remember to keep your piggies from the sandbelt.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:39 am

ounce wrote:I don't know if I would kick yourself in the ass THAT hard.  You stubbed your toe.  Broke some blood vessels.  And the TOE is the only thing that hurts.  Big deal.  No need to cover your toes because you'll remember to keep your piggies from the sandbelt.

Oh, don't worry, Ounce. I'm not that down on myself. I'm just irritated to have done something klutzy quite so quickly after rebooting my running; it usually takes a while before I try to take myself out. (I am 100% sure nothing is broken, however, so there's that.)

Mostly, though, I'm frustrated over the lingering effects of my groin pull and all the fitness I've lost over the past five months. It means I have to be judicious, measured and wise as I begin to rebuild -- and where's the fun in that? Smile

I know I can do this and remain on speaking terms with my body, but I'm going to need a plan.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Hmm you hurt your toe while running barefoot - isn't that why they invited shoes?  JK - take care of that toe.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hmm you hurt your toe while running barefoot - isn't that why they invited shoes?  JK - take care of that toe.

Sigh. Yes, I did. I know you're just teasing (and justifiably so), but I do feel obliged to note that I've scuffed/stubbed maybe four or five times in all the time I've been playing around with barefoot running. I've only nailed the tip of my big toe once before, and that hurt like the dickens, too. I need to stop doing that!

That said, my rehab plans will probably include plenty of running with something on my feet. I love running barefoot, but climate, surface conditions (and my coordination) aren't going to allow me to go all in with barefooting*. Just as well. I think I'd have to adopt a nickname like "Barefoot Mark" and grow a big beard if I did that. The best I can do beard-wise is stubble. Wink

*-The irony is, I seem to have the unconditional approval of both my PT and podiatrist to run barefoot as much as I can! Go figure.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm

If it weren't for bad luck...

Sorry to hear about your most recent stumble.  I know that you know what to do and what not to do so I won't offer any advice...just my best wishes for a return to running.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:24 pm

It's almost Jan 1.  Surely your luck will reset itself with a new year, right?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:If it weren't for bad luck...

Sorry to hear about your most recent stumble.  I know that you know what to do and what not to do so I won't offer any advice...just my best wishes for a return to running.

Hi Nancy! Thanks for the thoughts. It's weird when I have to stop and ask myself, "So, what sort of advice would I be giving if I saw somebody else in a similar situation?" Weird, and kind of annoying. I know what I need to do; I just don't necessarily want to do it. bounce

Mike MacLellan wrote:It's almost Jan 1.  Surely your luck will reset itself with a new year, right?

Well, let's hope so! This year hasn't been all bad, and what has been not-so-good has provided powerful lessons in survival that ought to come in handy if and when things really go south. So I guess that's something!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Mark B wrote:Well, phooey.

Maybe I pushed it a little too much with that extra walk yesterday, but I'm feeling a fairly large niggle in that groin muscle I strained while trying to avoid falling out of the shower earlier this summer.
Just catching up but wait, what?  That's the best story you could come up with for a groin strain? 

And Barefoot Mark, I would have thought by now that you would have realized that if God had meant for us to run in bare feet he would have given them to us as standard equipment.  Hmm, there's something wrong with that logic.  But nothing Nike can't cure . . .
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Tom H wrote:
Mark B wrote:Well, phooey.

Maybe I pushed it a little too much with that extra walk yesterday, but I'm feeling a fairly large niggle in that groin muscle I strained while trying to avoid falling out of the shower earlier this summer.
Just catching up but wait, what?  That's the best story you could come up with for a groin strain? 

And Barefoot Mark, I would have thought by now that you would have realized that if God had meant for us to run in bare feet he would have given them to us as standard equipment.  Hmm, there's something wrong with that logic.  But nothing Nike can't cure . . .

Oh, Tom... you need to go back to Page 9 of this blog before you start taking about "best stories." Trust me, just about falling out of my kid's shower backwards onto my head, and reaching for a solid handhold to steady myself -- only to find that it WASN'T SOLID (which I should have realized because I installed the damn thing myself) and having to use every core muscle I had to save my neck is a pretty good story, if I say so myself. And totally on par with this year.

So, your reading assignment for this evening is to return to the bookmarked point above and read forward in time. I think you'll find it interesting reading. Shocked
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hmm you hurt your toe while running barefoot - isn't that why they invited shoes?  JK - take care of that toe.

Sigh. Yes, I did. I know you're just teasing (and justifiably so), but I do feel obliged to note that I've scuffed/stubbed maybe four or five times in all the time I've been playing around with barefoot running. I've only nailed the tip of my big toe once before, and that hurt like the dickens, too. I need to stop doing that!

That said, my rehab plans will probably include plenty of running with something on my feet. I love running barefoot, but climate, surface conditions (and my coordination) aren't going to allow me to go all in with barefooting*. Just as well. I think I'd have to adopt a nickname like "Barefoot Mark" and grow a big beard if I did that. The best I can do beard-wise is stubble. Wink

*-The irony is, I seem to have the unconditional approval of both my PT and podiatrist to run barefoot as much as I can! Go figure.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Th?id=HN.608055266472428615&w=185&h=187&c=7&rs=1&url=http%3a%2f%2fshinaye.wordpress.com%2f2009%2f04%2f16%2fproject-beard%2f&pid=1
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Th?id=HN.608055266472428615&w=185&h=187&c=7&rs=1&url=http%3a%2f%2fshinaye.wordpress.com%2f2009%2f04%2f16%2fproject-beard%2f&pid=1

Posting your drivers license photo again, Ounce? Nice beard. But the monocle makes it work.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:41 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Posting your drivers license photo again, Ounce? Nice beard. But the monocle makes it work.

Banks hate it, when I come in the lobby.  I think the clue was when the Sheriff's deputy doing guard work kept his hand on his holster.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Posting your drivers license photo again, Ounce? Nice beard. But the monocle makes it work.

Banks hate it, when I come in the lobby.  I think the clue was when the Sheriff's deputy doing guard work kept his hand on his holster.

I'd imagine so. It'd look much less suspicious with a brown derby hat. Smile

Quiet day today, awaiting re-delivery of our furniture, hoping that the guy was able to get the finish right the second time. When he picked it up last week, he was scratching his head, saying there must have been a problem with the exhaust fan system in his spray booth, which caused the residue to recycle and precipitate (my word, not his) back on the furniture. Hm. Maybe. Anyway, I'll know soon enough if we have a continuing problem.

I'm still amazed at the amount of bruising a simple toe-scuff can cause. I wish I had a video of exactly what happened so I could figure it out. Oh well. If I'd been trying to record that, I'd have likely had a truly spectacular wipeout. Cartwheeling down the asphalt would entertain the neighbors, but it might not be optimal when you're wearing shorts.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Yeah, I followed the"Escapades of a Scamp" featuring Fluff on FB with a mixture of laughter, awe and head shakes.  I know you've had a lot of suggestions but you should know that if you shellac your cat you not only remedy the shedding issue but you also get a dandy doorstop out of it. And in your case, shackle the offending paw.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Tom H wrote:Yeah, I followed the"Escapades of a Scamp" featuring Fluff on FB with a mixture of laughter, awe and head shakes.  I know you've had a lot of suggestions but you should know that if you shellac your cat you not only remedy the shedding issue but you also get a dandy doorstop out of it. And in your case, shackle the offending paw.

Hm. Not sure if turning Fluff into something resembling the Great Sphinx is such a good idea, given the literary foreshadowing that it evokes..

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

—The Second Coming, by W.B. Yeats

Or, in Fluff's case, anyway... gallops. What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Your blog continues to be the most entertaining one here, IMO. How is Fluffy?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Julie wrote:Your blog continues to be the most entertaining one here, IMO. How is Fluffy?

Thanks, Julie! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I was living in the middle of a sitcom. Heck, we even have Fluff, the irrepressible scamp and bringer of destruction. Sort of like the Olsen twins, but cuter.

Speaking of Fluff, we think he preferred it when he could run around on OSB subfloor and sharpen his claws on framing, but he does seem to be pleased that we finally got the coffee table back from the furniture refinishing guy. It gives him a perfect vantage point to observe our backyard water feature.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Flufff10

We do worry, though, about what he might be plotting next...

---

As I said the furniture came back. It's much better than when it came back the first time (when it was totally botched), though it's not quite what we'd hoped. We're telling ourselves it's probably the best we could hope for considering how beat up it got in the flood. Seems like this needs to be one of those "good enough" moments, because we need to save our mental energy in case we need to do battle on the window casings and baseboards. Hope it won't come to that, but I won't relax until this whole thing is over and done.

Because of that, I know I still can't really leap into training yet. My stress bucket is still overflowing, and the margin for error is whisper-thin (see photo of bruised toe on previous page). So whatever I do will be by necessity limited. I'll get my chance, and I have the beginning of a plan forming in my head*. It'll have to do for now.

*-Ooo! Foreshadowing!

Last edited by Mark B on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Mark B wrote:
Julie wrote:Your blog continues to be the most entertaining one here, IMO. How is Fluffy?

Thanks, Julie! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I was living in the middle of a sitcom. Heck, we even have Fluff, the irrepressible scamp and bringer of destruction. Sort of like the Olsen twins, but cuter.

Speaking of Fluff, we think he preferred it when he could run around on OSB subfloor and sharpen his claws on framing, but he does seem to be pleased that we finally got the coffee table back from the furniture refinishing guy. It gives him a perfect vantage point to observe our backyard water feature.

---

As I said the furniture came back. It's much better than when it came back the first time (when it was totally botched), though it's not quite what we'd hoped. We're telling ourselves it's probably the best we could hope for considering how beat up it got in the flood. Seems like this needs to be one of those "good enough" moments, because we need to save our mental energy in case we need to do battle on the window casings and baseboards. Hope it won't come to that, but I won't relax until this whole thing is over and done.

Because of that, I know I still can't really leap into training yet. My stress bucket is still overflowing, and the margin for error is whisper-thin (see photo of bruised toe on previous page). So whatever I do will be by necessity limited. I'll get my chance, and I have the beginning of a plan forming in my head. It'll have to do for now.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Th?id=HN.608040311401877082&w=186&h=185&c=7&rs=1&url=http%3a%2f%2f1960stvtuner.blogspot.com%2f2010%2f09%2fdennis-menace.html&pid=1
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:59 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

---

Because of that, I know I still can't really leap into training yet. My stress bucket is still overflowing, and the margin for error is whisper-thin (see photo of bruised toe on previous page). So whatever I do will be by necessity limited. I'll get my chance, and I have the beginning of a plan forming in my head. It'll have to do for now.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Th?id=HN.608040311401877082&w=186&h=185&c=7&rs=1&url=http%3a%2f%2f1960stvtuner.blogspot.com%2f2010%2f09%2fdennis-menace.html&pid=1

That did come to mind, yes, as well as a real-life version of...

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Yup10

... with Fluff playing both parts, of course. Smile

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Mark is Calvin and Fluff is Hobbes.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Mark is Calvin and Fluff is Hobbes.

Either that, or it's the other way around. Very Happy

---

By the way, I finally got around to doing a bit of experimentation today (after trying to mathematically explain to the teenage son how running the hot water full blast for 15 minutes tends to drain the hot water tank) to figure out about how much water Mr. Fluff flushed through the house.

I started off testing the flow rate of the offending tub spigot in our master bedroom. It filled a 5-gallon bucket in 56 seconds flat, which after a bit of calculation worked out to a maximum possible volume of water of about 1,500 gallons in the time between when I left for work and when Alita came home. (About 4.5 hours. The flow rate works out to 5.36 gallons per minute.)

If you want a visual representation of how much that works out to, it's enough to fill one of those 12-foot by 30-inch pop-up backyard pools:

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 22 Pool10

Now, imagine that pouring through a chandelier...

It could have been a lot worse (the water couldn't have run much longer than 4.5 hours, where it could have run for days if we were on vacation), but still...  Shocked
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Let's see, Fluff sitting on a table looking at a water feature in the backyard that has a much higher flow rate than that of the tub. I'd be worried.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Tom H wrote:Let's see, Fluff sitting on a table looking at a water feature in the backyard that has a much higher flow rate than that of the tub. I'd be worried.

Yup. But we have wondered if he was just trying to replicate his favorite water feature indoors.

Now that you mention it, we did have a good waterfall going through the dining area chandelier... and can lights... and speakers... Suspect
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Fluff calls that art.  cat
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life