365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 6 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Mark - Now those are my kind of shoes, bright and flashy.  I think they will definitely help the bumble bee get better!!!

Let's hope so! I think I need to preserve them for the trail, because the tread probably wouldn't hold up for too many miles on asphalt and concrete.

Up to 40-30-30 on my dual heel lifts now. I tried shifting my weight to one foot while I was fully extended and my heel may have come crashing down at a slightly slower speed than before. Single-leg heel lifts are going to take a while, I think.

Yeah, the lugs on those shoes do not look like they would last that long on asphalt.  I had found a hybrid trail shoe from New Balance this past winter that seem to hold up better on asphalt, but are still good on the trail.  I really only us them for trail or snow, though.  

Just keep at your exercises and before you know it you will be doing them with ease!

Boy, I hope so. I've committed myself to actually get these calve to do what nature intended, which is going to be pretty much a first. What sort of impact that's going to have on my running is a fascinating question.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 27, 2014 10:20 pm

either a BQ or NTDFL.  
 Running  Running  Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 27, 2014 11:54 pm

ounce wrote:either a BQ or NTDFL.  
 Running  Running  Ride

Next To Dead Freaking Last, eh? Niiice.  geek 

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:either a BQ or NTDFL.  
 Running  Running  Ride

Next To Dead Freaking Last, eh? Niiice.  geek 

It's progress!  And you can't buy NTDFL.  You have to earn it (debilitating the DFL person is not an infraction).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 28, 2014 2:25 pm

I was supposed to do a run today but emergencies at work got in the way. May have to do it tomorrow.

What I was able to accomplish was three sets of 40 bilateral heel lifts. And I noticed something new this time - as I pressed up, I felt the center of my weight shift from the bottom of my big toe joint to more of the front of the joint, which I think means I've actually reached the top of my range through muscle power alone.

It's kind of a cool feeling, sort of like when you reach the top of a lift while doing a bench press.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed May 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Mark B wrote:I was supposed to do a run today but emergencies at work got in the way. May have to do it tomorrow.

What I was able to accomplish was three sets of 40 bilateral heel lifts. And I noticed something new this time - as I pressed up, I felt the center of my weight shift from the bottom of my big toe joint to more of the front of the joint, which I  think means I've actually reached the top of my range through muscle power alone.

It's kind of a cool feeling, sort of like when you reach the top of a lift while doing a bench press.
Cool!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed May 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Mark B wrote:I was supposed to do a run today but emergencies at work got in the way. May have to do it tomorrow.

What I was able to accomplish was three sets of 40 bilateral heel lifts. And I noticed something new this time - as I pressed up, I felt the center of my weight shift from the bottom of my big toe joint to more of the front of the joint, which I  think means I've actually reached the top of my range through muscle power alone.

Nice!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Rehab Run/Walk: 2.1 miles

Weather: On the treadmill, 70 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, etc.

I took my rehab run/walk indoors today to see how it worked on the treadmill and give my body the chance to actually break a decent sweat. Goodness knows, it's been missing out. I alternated between 3 mph walking and 5 mph jogging, 0.1 miles each, with an extra 0.1 mile cool down walk at the end. My HR stayed nice and low.

The workout was uneventful, which I guess is a good thing, though my body feels discombobulated as it tries to deal with the increased muscle strength in my hips, calves and ankles. It doesn't really quite know how to move anymore. It's a weird and disconcerting sensation. I just have to keep telling myself it's going to be worth it.

I followed up the workout with 3x40 bilateral heel raises, 40 modified clamshells, 40 side leg lifts and 40 leg circles per side, then 40 bridges with abdominal bracing. I'll do the elastic band work a bit later.

Average HR for the run/walk: 113

If I don't have any lingering problems after this workout, I'm allowed to increase the jogging sections of my workout to 0.2 mile each repeat. I'm still limited to 2 mies, and I still have to wait two days between workouts.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Your secondary muscles should be well built, when it counts.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu May 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Uneventful is a great description for a treadmill workout. I feel that when you build up all of your muscles and get back to running full time, you'll enjoy the results.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 pm

ounce wrote:Your secondary muscles should be well built, when it counts.

Nick Morris wrote:Uneventful is a great description for a treadmill workout.  I feel that when you build up all of your muscles and get back to running full time, you'll enjoy the results.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping for. The thing is, my previous form was built around my existing weaknesses. Which means I'm going to have to learn a *new* form to avoid immediately falling back into bad habits. The more I learn about how the big toe/achilles/calf/glute/core connection works, the more I realize that wasn't really something in my toolkit before. I just hope bringing the big guns online doesn't cause the rest of my body to tear itself apart.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Wow...that took some catching up!  I didn't think I'd been away that long (we have a new grandson)  Very Happy 

Interesting reading...I would have loved to see the look on the PT's face.  Sounds like the heel raises are going pretty well so far and that's pretty impressive if you can already feel some results/improvement.

I can tell that I've slacked off on my core/strength work and my stretching this spring.  Surprising how much difference it makes.  Your blog reminds me that I need to get back into a better routine...and maybe add some latrine squats.

I'm not surprised to see that even though your activity is severely restricted you are still working hard.  I'm anxious to follow along and see how things go once you're allowed to increase your mileage.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm

nkrichards wrote:Wow...that took some catching up!  I didn't think I'd been away that long (we have a new grandson)  Very Happy 

Interesting reading...I would have loved to see the look on the PT's face.  Sounds like the heel raises are going pretty well so far and that's pretty impressive if you can already feel some results/improvement.

I can tell that I've slacked off on my core/strength work and my stretching this spring.  Surprising how much difference it makes.  Your blog reminds me that I need to get back into a better routine...and maybe add some latrine squats.

I'm not surprised to see that even though your activity is severely restricted you are still working hard.  I'm anxious to follow along and see how things go once you're allowed to increase your mileage.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

First things first: Ooo! A new grandbaby! Congrats!

And second: Thanks for the visit! It feels like a slow process right now, but I know all these things will spur changes that ought to help me. And while I've tended to avoid these sorts of exercises before (they're boring and difficult), I figure I may as well go all in at this point. I suppose 50 years is long enough to procrastinate, don't you think?

One thing I've noticed already is that, when I sit on the floor with my legs extended in front of me and my ankle bones and knees touching, my calves now press against themselves in the middle! They didn't use to do that before - they were a quarter to a half inch apart. Progress! (And yes, I used to have a problem keeping my socks up.) Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Rehab Run-Walk: About 2 miles

Weather: Sunny, warm, a breeze. 72 degrees. Gear: Altra Instincts, shorts, T.

Time to up the intensity (slightly) from my first two rehab workouts. This time, I was allowed to walk 0.1 mile, then jog 0.2 miles, alternating until I got up to 2 miles total. Alita and I went out on the rolling arterial that runs past our house (and includes the infamous ravine). I felt a little less discombobulated, but my right knee complained a little after the first mile. Not sure what that's about, but it went away.

Finished with 3x40 heel lifts. A little more difficult immediately after a run. I'll get my other exercises in later; we spent much of the day helping Alec with an English project that also required creation of a video. I think it turned out pretty well.

Average HR for entire workout: 126
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Glad to see that you are ramping up, even if it is just a little. Any progression is good.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 am

Nick Morris wrote:Glad to see that you are ramping up, even if it is just a little.  Any progression is good.

I'll take whatever I can get at this point, Nick. It was a busy day, helping Alec out on an assignment, but I was getting increasingly worried that I wasn't going to be able to get it done. It was a huge relief to get out there. I need this.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Not a run day, so it was time to go whole-hog in the PT exercises.

I did my usual 100 theraband stretches, inverting and everting, on both ankles.

I upped the number of reps in each type of glue med exercise (modified clamshell, lift, circle) up to 50 each.

I also upped the number of reps in the bridge with abdominal bracing to 50.

Then I hit the bilaterial heel lifts. I usually do three sets of 40, but I was curious to see how far I could go if I went to failure in one big set.

30, 40, 50, 60... not bad... 70, 80, 90... Okay, I can feel it now, but it's not "ow-ow-ow"... 100.. well, might as well keep going.

I stopped at 150. Not because I couldn't do any more, really, but because I wasn't getting the heel up as high as I'd like.

150 heel lifts? Holy cow. When I started, I could barely do any.

Hello, calves! Nice to meet 'ya!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Training to be a male leg model, huh?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Training to be a male leg model, huh?

Ha! Now, there's a thought...  cyclops 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Training to be a male leg model, huh?

Ha! Now, there's a thought...  cyclops 
Perish the thought.   affraid 

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 6 Th?id=HN.608003176980153175&w=207&h=207&c=8&pid=3
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Oh, my.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Mark B wrote:Oh, my.

Yup...I am speechless
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

Mark B wrote:Oh, my.

Yup...I am speechless

Yeah. Tsk. Ounce really ought to know better than to post his college spring break photos like that... Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Moving right along...

We had a little bit of extra nature in our neighborhood this afternoon, when a queen bee and her very large entourage took up residence in a neighbor's tree.

Somebody called a honey seller, who called a beekeeper, who brought a box, encouraged the queen inside - followed by the rest of her swarm - and proceeded to hold an apiary educational seminar for the neighborhood.

You'll notice I was pretty close to the hive. I got closer.  

The bees didn't mind a bit, and flew around and even landed on me. It was kind of weird at first, but I quickly got used to it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next