365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Think I'll Go To Boston...

+8
Julie
Tom H
Mark B
Nick Morris
ounce
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

I Think I'll Go To Boston... - Page 11 Empty Re: I Think I'll Go To Boston...

Post  Nick Morris Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Weight training and core work today after work. I tried out the elliptical to see if it caused any pain to my hammy. Good news is, there was no pain on the elliptical. This means that I should be able to put in some cardio work to help maintain my fitness level. I will try it out on Wednesday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:45 pm

nkrichards wrote:That's not good news!  My hamstring strain seems to have healed up well with RICE.  I took a week off from running but was able to continue to swim.  The next week I eased back in and I was back to pretty much full training after about 10 days. 

Take it easy...an early taper won't do any damage especially if you still plan to step back and run with Michele.

When you strained your hammy, what did it initially feel like? Mine tightened up like it wanted to cramp. Just trying to figure out if it is similar to yours.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:50 pm

After a day off yesterday, I headed to the gym and put in core work followed by 60 minutes on the elliptical. I must tell you that after an hour on an elliptical, my legs felt all tingly when I was done. Definitely not the same as running, but at least I can get some cardio in and not stress my hammy.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:That's not good news!  My hamstring strain seems to have healed up well with RICE.  I took a week off from running but was able to continue to swim.  The next week I eased back in and I was back to pretty much full training after about 10 days. 

Take it easy...an early taper won't do any damage especially if you still plan to step back and run with Michele.

When you strained your hammy, what did it initially feel like?  Mine tightened up like it wanted to cramp.  Just trying to figure out if it is similar to yours.

Mine started hurting about 8 miles into a 10 mile MP run.  It was a sharp but not intense pain when I extended my leg.  I guess it could be described as a cramp but that wasn't the description that came to mind.  It was most notable just before my foot struck the ground.  The PT explained that was when the muscle was the most elongated.  The sharp pain became more of a discomfort after a couple days.  It never hurt to touch it even when pressure was applied so it was hard to find the actual muscle that was causing the problem.  I was able to keep swimming and was doing short easy runs after 5 days and was pretty much back on track in 10 days.  I did hold back on the pace slightly and made sure I stayed close to home so I could bale if it acted up.

Sounds like you're going a good job of maintaining fitness while it heals.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am

Another 45 minutes on the elliptical last night.  I am still nowhere close to being able to run, but hopefully by this time next week I will be able to try out some light jogging.  Until then, I will continue to do what I can to maintain some fitness level.  I have an off day today, but will spend a lot of time on the elliptical on Saturday and Sunday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Nick have you thought about seeing a sports chiro for ART or another type of treatment?  Possible help there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nick have you thought about seeing a sports chiro for ART or another type of treatment?  Possible help there.

I'm with Michele on this one.  I saw my PT the day after I noticed the discomfort and he did a quick massage and ultrasound and confirmed that it was nothing more than a strain and gave me the go ahead to run after only a couple days rest.  If you haven't seen anyone yet I think I would...your situation sounds more difficult than mine was.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:06 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nick have you thought about seeing a sports chiro for ART or another type of treatment?  Possible help there.

I'm with Michele on this one.  I saw my PT the day after I noticed the discomfort and he did a quick massage and ultrasound and confirmed that it was nothing more than a strain and gave me the go ahead to run after only a couple days rest.  If you haven't seen anyone yet I think I would...your situation sounds more difficult than mine was.

Trust me, I am feeling better everyday. I actually have no discomfort when I am walking, but am trying to take things slow. I want to make sure that it is healed to the point where I do not pull/strain it again. I need to be ready in 17 days to go 26.2 miles.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 am

Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Trust me, I am feeling better everyday.  I actually have no discomfort when I am walking, but am trying to take things slow.  I want to make sure that it is healed to the point where I do not pull/strain it again.  I need to be ready in 17 days to go 26.2 miles.

Better safe than sorry so taking things slow is a good plan.  I guess the bright side is that you don't need to run a fast marathon...just enjoy the day.

Are you still planning to drop back and run with Michele?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Let me catch everyone up on what I have been doing and where I am at with my hammy...

An off day on Friday, led to 100+ minutes on the elliptical on Saturday.  Along with my Saturday elliptical, I did some core work and strengthening and stretching of the hamstring.  Then on Sunday, I spent another 60+ minutes on the my new found frenemy.  Also, more strengthening and stretching on Sunday, too.  

Monday (yesterday) was another off day, that found me heading to Milwaukee for the Brewers Home Opener.  They took a beating from the Rockies 10-0.  Then, to top off the beating, I went home and saw the Badgers get beat by Duke in the NCAA Men's Championship Game.

Today, I flew to Wichita for work and will be there until tomorrow afternoon, before flying back to Madison.  After I checked into my hotel this afternoon, I made my way to the workout room and got in a good 45 minutes on the elliptical.  I also did some weight training and core work.  I also did my hamstring stretching and strengthening.  I even got in a 5 minute walk on the treadmill progressing up every minute.  Topping out at 4.5 mph for the last two minutes and did not feel any discomfort in the hammy.

Overall, I am definitely starting to feel much better and seem to be getting better everyday.  My plan is to progressively go longer at 4.5 mph or so until Friday when I may try to lightly jog.  Playing very safe with this injury, so as not to re-injure it before the race.  I did receive my CW-X compression shorts and will wear those during the race.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Sounds like you're doing a good job keeping the fitness level up without stressing the hammie.  Hope it holds up well on the test jog on Friday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Glad hammy is doing well.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Wednesday - 45 minutes elliptical, strength and stretch
Thursday - 45 minutes elliptical, stretch and strength, core work

Now on the to good stuff...today on progressed to light running on the treadmill. I got in 2 miles at a very easy 8:57 pace. no discomfort that I know of, but tomorrow will tell. If all feels good tomorrow, I plan on getting in 3 miles outdoors. Then an off day on Sunday. So far, so good Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:55 pm

Are you doing some foam rolling too?  If it is tight after tomorrow's trial run, it might help.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:05 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Are you doing some foam rolling too?  If it is tight after tomorrow's trial run, it might help.

Why yes, it is tight after today's run. I am heading upstairs to get my roller right now Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:36 pm

A few years back, I strained the hammie.  The chiropractor said to go on a football field, start on the goal line and run backwards 50 yards, then walk back to the goal line, repeat a few times.

Good luck, Nick!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Saturday found me outside for the first time in almost 2 weeks.  My plan was to run an easy 3 miles, hopefully with no discomfort.  I set off at an easy pace and held it for the entire run that totaled 3.08 miles at an 8:38 pace.  I made it through the run without feeling any discomfort in my hamstring, but shortly after I finished, I could feel it start tightening up on me.  I did some light stretching and then quickly wrapped it up with my ace bandage.  I could feel it for the rest of the morning, but then saw the message from Michele about foam rolling it.  So I did just that and as soon as I finished, it loosened right up.

Yesterday, I scheduled an off day to rest and recover.  I found that I could feel a little soreness in my hammy when I touched/pressed on it, but did not have any discomfort when I walked.  I did some stretching and foam rolling, as well on Sunday.

This morning I woke up and everything felt great.  No discomfort when touching my hammy.  I am not sure if this is something that happens when you are recovering/healing from a hamstring injury, as this is my first time injuring my hamstring.  I don't think that I should be too worried about it.  My plan is to hit the elliptical tonight with some light walking/jogging afterwards.  I will continue to do my strength and stretching routine, as well as, rolling, compression, and ibuprofen.  I may even add a little heat to it, too.  

I am feeling confident that I will make it to the starting line.  We will just have to see how long it will hold up.  I am hoping it will hold up for 26.2 Wink
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:27 pm

rooting for you!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Personally, I'm hoping for 26.6. Locking up before you get more medal would just be embarrassing.

Woot! He's healthy! Go have fun! You've more than earned it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:22 am

Nick Morris wrote:Saturday found me outside for the first time in almost 2 weeks.  My plan was to run an easy 3 miles, hopefully with no discomfort.  I set off at an easy pace and held it for the entire run that totaled 3.08 miles at an 8:38 pace.  I made it through the run without feeling any discomfort in my hamstring, but shortly after I finished, I could feel it start tightening up on me.  I did some light stretching and then quickly wrapped it up with my ace bandage.  I could feel it for the rest of the morning, but then saw the message from Michele about foam rolling it.  So I did just that and as soon as I finished, it loosened right up.

Yesterday, I scheduled an off day to rest and recover.  I found that I could feel a little soreness in my hammy when I touched/pressed on it, but did not have any discomfort when I walked.  I did some stretching and foam rolling, as well on Sunday.

This morning I woke up and everything felt great.  No discomfort when touching my hammy.  I am not sure if this is something that happens when you are recovering/healing from a hamstring injury, as this is my first time injuring my hamstring.  I don't think that I should be too worried about it.  My plan is to hit the elliptical tonight with some light walking/jogging afterwards.  I will continue to do my strength and stretching routine, as well as, rolling, compression, and ibuprofen.  I may even add a little heat to it, too.  

I am feeling confident that I will make it to the starting line.  We will just have to see how long it will hold up.  I am hoping it will hold up for 26.2 Wink
Don't stretch your hammy.  rolling is fine.  no stretching.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Mark B wrote:Personally, I'm hoping for 26.6. Locking up before you get more medal would just be embarrassing.

+1  I'd hate to run by hours later and find you still struggling to get from the finish line to the exit area. Smile 

See you on Saturday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Personally, I'm hoping for 26.6. Locking up before you get more medal would just be embarrassing.

+1  I'd hate to run by hours later and find you still struggling to get from the finish line to the exit area. Smile 

See you on Saturday.
ha.  youtube Julie Moss
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 am

Another scheduled off day on Tuesday, as I am taking it easy the week prior to Boston.  The good thing about having to rehab an injury is that my legs are rested up for the grueling task ahead.  

I am feeling good, though and am hoping for the best.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Gratz, Nick!!!  Your hamstring held up for the race.  Whew!  Hank will be proud.  Enjoy wearing that jacket!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Congrats! I hope it was an awesome experience, I bet it was.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next