365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Monumental marathon

Go down

Monumental marathon

Post  JohnP on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Thought I'd post a short report on the Indianapolis Monumental marathon from last Saturday. After a couple marathons in the spring, I did not plan on any for the fall. But three weeks before this marathon, coincidentally the weekend of the Chicago marathon (the first in ten years that I didn't run), I was really having withdrawal symptoms for a race. I had not followed any program this summer but did try to do some weekly interval work, a shorter tempo-type run, and a 12-16 miler on the weekends. It was enough to complete a marathon. I've struggled with slowing down the past two years and I think found a key reason this summer. My ferratin levels dropped from 50 to 35 over the past two years and that has definitely had an impact both on speed and endurance. I think the reference range is 30-150 so I am barely above the low end of that.

Anyway, it was fortunate that the Monumental was still open so I signed up and did my only 20-miler of the year that weekend. Then three days before the race, I booked a hotel that was 3-4 blocks from the starting line. Those two items, plus a November date which almost guarantees cooler weather, made this pretty compelling, plus it's only a four hour drive away. So I drove down on Friday, ran the race Saturday and then drove back, in time to go to a work dinner, where they all thought I was nuts to have run a marathon that morning.

As far as the race, the temps were great - 30 degrees at the start and about 36 at the end. The wind was pretty tough ( about 20 MPH), it was against us quite a bit for a good portion of the race. I shamelessly tried to draft behind people but at mile 7, the half marathoners go a different route so there were far fewer runners and drafting was not really possible. There are a lot of turns in this race but at least you can look ahead and see the way the pack is going so you can sort of run tangents. The first few miles were very crowded, I think I lined up too far back and would move up closer next time. 

As far as my time, I was trying for 3:50-3:55 since I hadn't really trained for any specific time.  The lack of longer weekend runs, plus tiredness from fighting the wind early on, and I think the low ferratin levels, really took a toll the last five miles. But I felt encouraged by this result. I think if I could do more long runs, and possibly add 3-5 miles to a mid-week run, I could get back to the 3:45 range or so. We'll see. I was a little nervous about food at the end since they advertised to bring some money to buy stuff from Steak and Shake but they had a great line of food and drinks after the race including protein shakes and chili. Thanks for reading.

1 - 9:12
2 - 9:17
3 - 8:44
4 - 8:39
5 - 9:00
6 - 8:49
7 - 8:56
8 - 9:02
9 - 8:51
10 - 8:50
11 - 8:50
12 - 9:01
13 - 8:59
14 - 8:52
15 - 8:53
16 - 9:03
17 - 9:06
18 - 9:00
19 - 8:50
20 - 9:06
21 - 9:23 - classic case of running out of/low on glycogen starts now:
22 - 10:12
23 - 10:26
24 - 11:29
25 - 10:50
26 - 10:35
26.2 - 2:06
Total 4:03:57
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monumental marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Well done John for not training for a marathon!  I liked the Monumental race as it seemed to be the perfect size and the course isn't too flat or too hilly.  I'm sure the wind was no fun and I'm sure I can relate from NYC.

As for the ferritin, I, too, have suffered from low ferritin levels and it can really throw you for a loop.  I first had the problem back in my late 20s when mine dipped down into the teens.  I altered my diet and re-began eating red meat and I also began taking an iron supplement (I take what is now called Feosol as it is the only one that doesn't give me GI issues.  I have taken this supplement on and off since then and I can tell when I have the issue.  I still get my ferritin checked every year and as long as it stays in the high 50s to low 60s, I'm good.  Keep at it and when it does get back and stays there, you will feel the difference.

Again good run as you almost made that goal even without any training.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Great job.  (Damn, I wish that I could do that. pale )
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Nicely done John! Hmmm .... protein shakes & chili at the finish. YUMMM! Classic pace profile too, rather like my MCM two weeks ago. Yes indeed, the race really does begin to bite after 20 miles, rather harshly when training is light. But we do it anyway. Well done!
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Nicely done, John, especially for a marathon done with three weeks notice!  

I agree that getting the protein shake and chili after the race was great, but I bet seeing the look in your co-workers' faces when they found out what you'd done that morning was even better. Well played. Approval
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Great job on short training John!
That is the prototype bonk, for sure. I've done that a few times, carbon copy.
Glad you got your "fix!"
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Very nice job on the race John!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Nice to see you healthy.  Nice race John.
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down