365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Basics

+19
John Kilpatrick
Joel H
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Jim Lentz
Chris M
Penelope
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
Natalie
Seth Harrison
Diego
fostever
Schuey
Kenny B.
Bob
Dave-O
Matt W
GregC
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Back to Basics - Page 3 Empty Re: Back to Basics

Post  Dave-O Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Is this where I say how jealous I am of your Thursday to Sunday stretch? 'Cause I am.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:03 pm

I've done over 66 miles in a week 5 times in my life, and that's all you could come up with? Slacker.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Bob wrote:I've done over 66 miles in a week 5 times in my life, and that's all you could come up with? Slacker.

Wow Bob you sure do know how to make a guy feel good about his week in training!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  tom Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 pm

GregC wrote:(OK...I read the whole thing)

You've called me a stalker on multiple occasions on multiple boards in addition to doing so to my face, so I'm not afraid to say I've read that blog multiple times along with the others on TM. The one thing you don't realize is that while you may not always be happy with your weeks or your races or your years, they inspire the hell out of many of the rest of us and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to document them.

Now, don't mention this the next time I see you, referring to me as some sort of Ueberstalker or something or I will have to bring up your kickball addiction and my lack of invite to fill in on any given Thursday...
tom
tom

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Wish I could fall off the wagon and run like you did (seeing as how I've never run that many miles in a week in my life)!!!!! You shocked the system pretty good previous and from where I am sitting, your "down" week was pretty awesome.

Now, get back to work, slacker Very Happy ...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey Greg! So, I was looking up information for the Bayshore Marathon, 2012, and ended up on the runmichigan.com site. You've probably seen these already, but thought I'd post them. From photos 9-21, you're in (starting in 3rd row, 3rd pic):

http://www.runmichigan.com/photogallery/11/bayshore_marathonstart_052811jb.php
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks Lisa. I haven't seen those pictures. Last week was a decent week, although my faster paced stuff still isn't where it needs to be. I think it's coming, but it just seems like there is always something that is holding me back.

Monday: 9 & 6. With my relaxing weekend from the prior week over (I ran 6 miles total over the 3 day weekend), I was a little nervous about trying to do anything speed oriented today. I always struggle with speed if I have a rest day right before it for some reason. So today I just did a very unstructured fartlek run, where I started with the first two miles around 7:30 pace and then just did the rest at whatever pace I wanted to run for as long as I wanted to. In the end, I finished the 9 miles at a 6:35 pace with lots of faster bursts mixed in. It was a good way to get back at it.
Tuesday: 12 miles @ 6:14 pace & 6 miles untimed. If yesterday was a get back into day, today was man, I feel good day. As as I hit the road, I knew it was going to be a fast one as the first mile came in at sub 7 pace. It went down from there and I was right around 6 minute pace by the end. Nice run.
Wednesday: 9 @ 7:22 & 6 untimed. Just your basic double recovery run.
Thursday: This was supposed to be 12 with 8 @ tempo pace, but I screwed it up. It was hot and humid for this run, but i thought I could still get it in. And I tried. I started out the first mile and just felt like garbage. I tried to get in a groove, but I felt weak and on the verge of falling on my face, so after about 3/4 of a mile, I just stopped the tempo, but kept the watch running. I jogged the next 1.5 miles and then realized that whatever my problem was earlier in the run, I suddenly felt fine now. So I decided to see how low I could get my pace for the remaining 5.5 miles of the tempo that i had left (at this point my pace was 6:43). So I got back into tempo pace at that point and realed off 5 sub 5:45 miles to bring the overall pace down to 6:07 for the 8 miles that should have been the full tempo. Not a great run, but at least I salvaged something out of it.
Friday: Ugh. Miserably humid this morning and I just dreaded doing a long run in it. The first 12 miles were slow and disgusting and then I finally found a groove and went with it. By the end of the run, the average pace had worked down to 6:47 and I survived another 20 miler. In the summer, that's about all you can do.
Saturday: 9 @ 7:17 & 6 @ 7:13. Felt surprisingly good for both of these runs. I think part of it was that the humidity that has been plaguing the area for a few weeks was really kind of gone today. It was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Of course in the afternoon, I was mowing the lawn and felt a twinge in my ankle. It has happened before and it turned out to what appears to be some sort of tendonitis in my ankle/upper ankle. It's extremely painful and last time the only way I got rid of it was to take a week off of running. I'm hoping to avoid that this time.
Sunday: 9 @ 7:17 and 6 untimed. Ankle felt OK today, but there was still some pain there. I'm getting nervous/

Total Weekly Mileage: 115 over 13 runs.

Since we're almost done this week, I'll just update the ankle thing to say that it freakin' hurts. Like every run, on every footfall. I know the smart thing is to take the time and get it healed, but I'm stubborn, which is a curse and a blessing. So far I haven't missed a run this week, although some have had to be shortened because it's just too painful to extend some runs. At this point, I don't have a game plan for dealing with it, except to take each run one at a time. I thought I had convinced myself to take today off since I had a grueling 8 mile tempo planned, but on the way to the gym (I was gonna ride the stationary bike, I swear), the ankle felt magically better and I of course took that as a sign from God to do my tempo. Yeah. I'm kinda dumb.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Wait a minute, what happened to your ankle?

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Greg,

Based on your post, I think you will run until you can't and that might make the healing process that much longer! Sure the prudent decision would be to stop and rest maybe see a Dr. etc. So decide who are you going to be in the face of this experience. No matter what you choose stick with that choice and accept the outcome. There is no wrong answers just variations of them.

Of course this can very well be a niggle that works its self out. But only you know that and you need to be true to yourself this. Hang in there, think positive.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 am

Liz R wrote:Wait a minute, what happened to your ankle?

I wish I knew. Friday, long run, no problems. Saturday morning, recovery run, no problem. Saturday mid-morning, mowing the lawn, problem. It definitely seems soft tissue related, and if I didn't know better, I'd say it was shin splints, but I really don't think someone who has been running consistently for 13 years gets shin splints out of the blue. This same thing has happened to me about 3 times over the past 4 years and 2 of those times, it just went away as quickly as it sprung up, which is why I'm trying to run through it right now. I keep expecting to wake up one morning and just feel better. If I don't show some improvement this weekend though, I'll probably bite the bullet and back off a little.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 am

Uh oh, ankle sounds worrisome. I know doing the bike or - God forbid - the ellipitcal for a couple of days sounds horrible but if that would make it go away, might not be a bad way to spend 4-5 days straight.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Maybe some pool running? Sunday?
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Does ice help?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Chris M wrote:Uh oh, ankle sounds worrisome. I know doing the bike or - God forbid - the ellipitcal for a couple of days sounds horrible but if that would make it go away, might not be a bad way to spend 4-5 days straight.

Yeah. I'm working on getting my mind around that one.

Bob wrote:Maybe some pool running? Sunday?
I'll be waaay to drunk for pool running on Sunday.

Jim Lentz wrote:Does ice help?
I haven't noticed much difference when I ice it. What does seem to be helping is the TENS machine, which is weird because that thing isn't supposed to aid in healing, it's supposed to just provide temporary pain relief. Maybe it's just placebo, but I'll certainly take what I can get.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:11 pm

G$ - you can most definitely get shin splints even after having run for years. I get them occasionally when I pick up mileage or run on old or new (depending) shoes. You just might need to stretch and or roll the area which helps me greatly.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Do you work?

Yesterday, at 12:08, your stalker text me saying "I just saw Greg running down Dearborn!"

Today, at 1:07, the same stalker text me saying, "There goes Greg running north on State Street!"
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Awe-inspiring runs recently Greg - hope the ankle thing gets worked out. I would of thought someone with a lot of running behind them wouldn't get shin splints either, but I'm guessing if one of us had similar symptoms and asked you what to do, you might tell us to be careful with it and don't lose a war to win a battle. Anyway, hope it feels better soon...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Way behind on this thing...i'm really just putting this stuff in so I can keep track. No need to read it.

8/1 - 8/7
Monday: Ridiculous humidity, extremely tight work schedule, and a gimpy ankle means a treadmill run for my main workout today. 6 miles total with a Mono-fartlek mixed in again (no time for warm-up or cooldowns today) and would up averaging 5:33 for the run. The ankle really bothered me before, during, and after this run. It was at this point, that i started realizing this thing was gonna linger. Good run anyway. I did 6 miles later in the day as well.
Tuesday: 12 slow, painful miles (6:56 overall pace). The pain in my ankle just got progressively worse as the run went on and by the end of it, I was just gritting my teeth and trying to not think about it. Somehow, I dragged myself out for 6 more miles at lunch which were equally as painful. I know this is stupid to try and run through this ankle pain, but I really do feel like any day now the pain could just be gone. What can I say...i'm an optimist.
Wednesday: 8 & 6 at recovery pace. More pain. more slow running. Was hoping that an easy day would help, but it didn't.
Thursday: Just walking to work hurt today so on the way into the office I talked myself out of even attempting to try and do a tempo run today. I put the TENS machine on in the morning and was just hoping that it would help enough where I could go to the gym at lunch and do some elliptical or something. But then on the way to the gym, the ankle felt magically felt better. So being the stupid person I am, I took it as a sign and did my 12 mile run with 8 at tempo pace. I know my stride is messed up with this ankle, because I averaged 5:55 for the run and it felt way too hard, but I guess it was better than nothing. Well, actually that's debatable, but I'm glad I got it in. Did 4 miles later.
Friday: 20 miles. This one hurt. A lot. I went into this run just trying to get something in, not expecting at all to get in 20 miles. At about 3 miles, I started feeling OK, so I picked up the pace a little and things felt good. Then all of the sudden, a shooting pain went from my ankle to my knee and I almost fell over. It must have looked bad, because a biker actually pulled over to make sure I was alright. I said I was fine and just figured I would have to walk the rest of the way back to my gym. But after about a quarter mile of walking I realized I really didn't want to walk for 4 miles, so I started a slow jog. A slow jog turned into a slightly faster jog and the next thing I know, instead of heading straight back to the gym, I was back on my 20 mile route. Ugh. I had to keep the pace very slow, but the ankle pretty much behaved the rest of the run and I somehow made it through, although my pace was 7:10 for the entire run.

That night, I noticed some swelling in the ankle, which was the first time I really saw that. With a trip to Great America planned for the next day, I decided that the rest of the weekend would be off days. With 2 recovery days scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, I figured now is the time to take the time off. I survived the bulk of my hard stuff this week so this was a good time to try and take some time off. If you can count walking around an amusement park for 13 hours a day off.

Weekly total: 80 miles over 9 runs.

8/8 - 8/14
Monday: This is gonna be a tough week. We have one last summer fling in Lake Geneva scheduled from Tuesday to Thursday of this week, which always makes running a challenge. So today was just 8 miles and 6 miles, both untimed. WIth the two off days, my ankle feels better than it has in a while, but I didn't want to push it today. I really didn't want to waste the off days my pushing things too quickly on my first day back running.
Tuesday: 12 miles with 5 at tempo pace. Yuk. Bad run. I did wind up averaging 5:48, but it was hard and I felt like crap the entire run. I quit at 5 miles because the ankle started barking and I already knew I was in trouble if I tried to push to 8 miles like I had planned. If I'm being honest here, my tempo runs so far this year have been horrible. Is this the first sign that I'm losing a step? I don't think so, but it could be. There have been a lot of other circumstances in play though (humidity, ankle, etc), so I'm not completely giving up yet. No second run as I was traveling and just didn't feel like it.
Wednesday: 9 miles at 7:30 pace and 6 miles at 7:19 pace. These were both done in Lake Geneva on the same path that Dave-O did his long run on this past weekend. It's a nice path as long as you don't want to run fast. Both of these runs felt fine with no sign of ankle pain until the last mile or so on both runs. There is definite improvement.
Thursday: 6 miles in the AM And PM. I knew today was going to be a problem. I usually do my long tempo run on Thursday, but there was no way I was going to get it done before checking out of the hotel on Thursday morning. I don't do tempo pace in the early morning very well. So I figured I'd just do my easy run in the morning which was 6 miles at 7:30 pace. The later in the day, I'd try to do a longer tempo run. But by the time we got home and settled back in, it was about 4PM and I was beat. I did get out for a slow 6 miles, but there was no tempo run today. That's OK. My ankle could probably use the break.
Friday: For the first time in a long time, I felt back. The ankle was a complete non-issue for the entire 20 miles and from the first footfall to the last I felt smooth and fast. The pace on the run just kept moving down without any effort and by the time I was done, I had done the 20 at a 6:30 pace. Wish they could all be like this.
Saturday: I was a little nervous to see how the ankle would feel today, but thankfully it was fine. Again, no pain even after yesterday's 20. Today was runs of 9 & 6 and both were fine (7:28 and 7:20 paces respectively).
Sunday: Pretty much a repeat of yesterday except the morning run was a little faster (7:03 pace). I think the ankle issue is officially behind me as I have now gone 5 straight runs without a hint of pain. Now I need to get back to real training!
Weekly mileage: 103 miles
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Great news at the end about the ankle hopefully being a non-issue going forward. That's awesome if true so fingers crossed for you.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Just so I'm clear: So you ran 20 miles despite seering ankle pain that caused you to buckle at least once, right?

Don't call one of my workouts crazy ever again.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Greg I don't care what anyone else says or what you think in my book you are still a stud. In the past and still today I look up to!

I can only wish I can run a marathon as fast as you some day. I know that some aspects of your training are not going as planned your the way you want but man you sure do inspire me.

I really hope that the pieces continue to fall into place for you. Keep at it buddy!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Glad to see someone is back in action with a vengeance. How nice to run pain free for 5 days. Seems like a distant memory. Carry on!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Hope the ankle continues on the positive...sounds like the TENS works. Man, if something works, use the $h*# out of it!

Excited to see the outcome of your training...you definitely sound like our Greg of days past. Damn...makes me want to do two laps of our street circle on my crutches Razz
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Your training is always very motivational. Keep up the great work. Glad to hear the ankle thing is better. Whatever ended up happening with your back / neck pain? Did you end up seeing anyone about it?
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Just catching up - great finish to last week. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun hitting your mileage - I forget to do that sometimes!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next