365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Great Rise to 50 (Redux)

+10
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
KBFitz
Nick Morris
ounce
Jim Lentz
Julie
14 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

A Great Rise to 50 (Redux) - Page 6 Empty Re: A Great Rise to 50 (Redux)

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wimp - that's nothing I went from 78F in Florida to teens and snow - so there.  And remember, I walked to school up hill both ways in blizzards.

Couldn't resist - aren't you glad to be back east?

Didn't everyone over 50 walk to school up hill both ways in blizzards?

We've had temps/conditions that varied almost that much in the last few days and I haven't even traveled anywhere! I'm just happy t he sun is out and I was back in shorts today. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Well, hope y'all can manage to stay warm back there...

A Great Rise to 50 (Redux) - Page 6 Mike10

Last edited by Mark B on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:57 pm

There will only be shorts indoors for a while in NE Ohio - probably not again until late March.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:28 pm

They say if you don't like the weather in Central Oregon just wait 15 minutes and it will probably change. This winter has been no exception!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Mike...I'll trade you...just sayin
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Who knew I'd get myself into some long-running West/East feud just by mentioning that California is superior to DC?  What a Face

Scheduled off day and my first day back at work in close to a month yesterday.  Glad to see I haven't forgotten ASL, but there was a little rust to shake off.  Ready for real life again.

Still chilly today, but not as bad as yesterday, which barely hit 20 and was delightfully breezy.  Tights made their second appearance and worked out well.  I ended up pulling up the sleeves of my shirt when hit with the sun and a tailwind, but otherwise was comfy for the run.  Guess I'm figuring out this whole winter gear thing.

11.2mi in 1hr33min including 6x 8sec hill sprints.  Trying to make a conscious effort to get these form drills in again, as I neglected them for TCM's training and I think it mattered.  

No complaints from the left calf, which was bothering me Wed/Thurs.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Who knew I'd get myself into some long-running West/East feud just by mentioning that California is superior to DC?  What a Face

Every place has it's own reason for being great, but if you are an outdoor athlete, it is hard to argue that California is a winner.  Somehow, I don't feel like I'm missing out on running in the snow, ice and sub-zero conditions that seem to be covering a significant part of the nation.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Tom - I'll be honest (but shhh, don't tell anyone!!!)...  I think our summers here in DC are worse than our winters.  Sure, people are complaining en masse about the "sudden cold," and yes, it's cold (went under 10 this morning), but I'd happily take this every day over the disgusting swamp this place becomes in summer.  And from what I've heard, my "summer" here (just August) was extremely mild.  Gross.

---

In my long-running (no pun intended) study of n=1 as a runner, rarely do I ever control for variables.  Again, this is the case.  Whatever the reason, though, my running is going really, really well this week.

Factors to consider:
It's significantly colder here than CA. 
I've been eating MUCH better in the last few days than the last month.
I spent a month running hills in CA.

Results:
Even at a sub-Maffetone HR, my splits are in the high 7s and low 8s.  My legs feel great, my body feels great...  I'm going to just take this one as is and try not to kill the enjoyment via over-analysis.  

1hr today, 7.3mi.  I've decided that I may take a more conservative approach to Maffetone HR stuff, given that he does suggest you subtract 5bpm if you haven't trained for 2yrs consistently without injury.  While I've been riding/running consistently, I haven't been running consistently...  And I'll be 28 in 6 weeks, so that already costs me a bpm.  I'm toying with setting my goal HR at 150bpm for the race.  Ran that today and was pleased.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Nice to see the fitness coming back, Mike! Good job.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:03 pm

It's a nice thing to see.  Though a little consistency would be nice...

1hr30min at Rock Creek Park today.  Did the loop I did back in November, but a bit slower with a higher HR.  Snow-related?  Maybe.  Quite a bit of snow on the trail and enough ice to have me tip-toeing at times.  Despite being a little slower, still had a great time on the trail and developed a new-found love of winter trail running.  Quiet, cold, peaceful.

Also, on the drive to the parking area, I saw a fox.  What?!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:28 pm

Yes we have red foxes here. But a daytime siting is quite rare. Keep an eye out for racoons and of course don't get outrun by herds of deer. Ain't city livin' great?
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 am

Haven't spotted any raccoon yet, but deer I've seen plenty.  Also those posted signs about the Nat'l Park keeping population in check by hunting them at night...  Yeah, I think I'll wear that bright orange Boston jacket I've got in Rock Creek until that fun is over.

---

90min this morning.  Gotta say, the motivation was not there.  Sunrise isn't until 7:30am, and I'm a natural light kind of guy...  I'll happily wake up at 6am, if it's light out.  Also, rain.  So, yeah.

First 3mi were pretty blah, but things loosened up and got going after that.  As soon as things started feeling good, I nearly slipped on some ice on a bridge and slammed my hand into the guardrail (thought I broke a finger for a second).  Pretty steady and uneventful after that.  Ended with 10.5x on the day and decided to self-diagnose myself with some form of temperature-fluctuation-induced histamine reaction upon getting home.  Every time I go from cold skin to a shower, whoof, red, itchy legs.  

Also, I'm debating the efficacy of tights when it's wet (but not quite freezing) out...  Thoughts, you winter people?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:53 am

I have still found my tights to beneficial when it is in the lower 30s and damp.  I wear them until the temps get up to around 40, then I will ditch them for shorts (racing is a different story).  I think it also depends on the brand of tight and what temperature that it is rated for.  It you have a 20 degree tight, they may be too warm for lower to mid 30s.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Haven't spotted any raccoon yet, but deer I've seen plenty.  Also those posted signs about the Nat'l Park keeping population in check by hunting them at night...  Yeah, I think I'll wear that bright orange Boston jacket I've got in Rock Creek until that fun is over.

---

90min this morning.  Gotta say, the motivation was not there.  Sunrise isn't until 7:30am, and I'm a natural light kind of guy...  I'll happily wake up at 6am, if it's light out.  Also, rain.  So, yeah.

First 3mi were pretty blah, but things loosened up and got going after that.  As soon as things started feeling good, I nearly slipped on some ice on a bridge and slammed my hand into the guardrail (thought I broke a finger for a second).  Pretty steady and uneventful after that.  Ended with 10.5x on the day and decided to self-diagnose myself with some form of temperature-fluctuation-induced histamine reaction upon getting home.  Every time I go from cold skin to a shower, whoof, red, itchy legs.  

Also, I'm debating the efficacy of tights when it's wet (but not quite freezing) out...  Thoughts, you winter people?

Welcome to winter my friend! You'd be wise to invest in a bottle of lotion to apply when you get out of the shower.  It'll work wonders.

I'm usually a wearer of tights when it's below 40 regardless of precipitation.  I guess I'd be concerned with wet clothing touching my skin and making me colder than I would normally be, which is a problem I've run into on longer runs while it's snowing.  The snow hits you, melts, and now you're wet and getting colder than you might like.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:31 am

Nick - I have no idea what the tights are rated for...  Hahaha.
Jim - I'm usually shorts if it's above 30, but with the rain, I wasn't sure.  I think either way, my thighs would've been cold and wet.  Also, lotion, yeah.  Winter makes me dry, apparently.

---

1hr including a couple warm-up strides and 8x 90sec hill sprints (90sec recoveries coming down the hill).  Woof, that's a workout.  Nice blend of quad and lung burning to start off a Tuesday.  I realized after the first 3 that I'd gone out a bit hard, so I backed off the next 3 just a smidgen.  I also started on the wrong hill, so had to incorporate a couple blocks shift into my recoveries.  

Overall, a good strong run, leaving me just tired enough to get through the work day.  Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Winter makes everyone dry back east.  No debate although I love California, I'm not sure I could live there with the one exception of the area (south of Carlsbad) where my husband lived for 3 yrs.  The weather seemed perfect even when it was cold(ish), and everyone was outside everyday - running, biking, walking, surfing, hiking, etc., etc.  You will never get that on the east coast as there are too many extremes and too much humidity even in the warmer climates/
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm

You're right about Carlsbad (although, I thought it was Cardiff?) - very active people.  I'm kind of the opposite, though... it's actually something I like about my parents' house.  Very few people are serious athletes, so there's a special feeling of being "that guy."  Same as when weather is "really bad" here.  Only the serious people are still out getting their runs in.

---

Speaking of getting runs in...  Ugh.  Today was rough.  Tired from the time my alarm went off, but slowly came to life during work (a surprisingly fun assignment, too).  Still, miscalculated and definitely didn't eat enough prior to running this afternoon, which led to a bonk by mile 2.  A miserable, weak 2 miles went by before my body magically found glycogen reserves (???) and felt better.  The end of the run was fine, just tired.  1hr, 7mi.

(Oh, I also threw in a 35min recovery run yesterday afternoon after the morning's intervals.  Ran it with Aileen.  Was one of the more pleasant runs I've done lately.)
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:58 pm

It was Cardiff - good memory, Mike.  And wait on those DC summers - probably the worst summer I ever spent was in Delaware and I lived in Atlanta for over 20 yrs (and I didn't always escape to NY state for the summer back then).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
(Oh, I also threw in a 35min recovery run yesterday afternoon after the morning's intervals.  Ran it with Aileen.  Was one of the more pleasant runs I've done lately.)

SmileSmileSmile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Mom - I've already decided I like DC winters and will happily take them over summers.  Just based on my brief, mild summer experience here.

---

1hr including 8x 8sec hill sprints today.  My vo2max intervals lately are starting to make a noticeable difference in my running.  My easy, daily miles are staying in the low 8s and even high 7s.  And since it was in the low-40s today, I wore shorts for the first time since CA.  Felt nice to have the legs free.  7.2mi total.  

Got 2hr tomorrow and 3hr Sunday - the latter may have at least an hour or so with a trail running group out here.  Could be fun.  If I wake up in time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 pm

2hr in the bag.  Pretty standard sorta-long run.  Most splits in the 8:teens, HR steady around 150 (except when I started thinking about some upcoming 10k's I may run).  14.7mi total.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Nice runs lately, Mike! You seem to be adapting well to the less-Cali conditions back east.

Cold weather means dry skin, significantly because when you're inside, you've probably got forced-air heat, which sucks the humidity right out of the air. When it's sub-freezing outside, all the moisture outside is frozen, especially when you're under a dome of dry-dry arctic air. No moist winds off the Pacific here, big guy.

If dry skin gets to be a problem, try Cetaphil brand moisturizing cream. Put it on after a shower to seal in the moisture. It helps.

I wear tights in the rain when it gets down below the mid-40s. Yes, they get wet, but if you have a good set of tights, they provide a layer of insulation while wicking away the moisture. That works even with temps in the mid-30s and sleet. I wear a fairly heavyweight Nike running tight, but there are a lot of options out there. (I think Pearl Izumi even offered a tight that supposedly got warmer when wet, which I'm still trying to figure out.)

As far as the summers go in D.C., well... good luck with that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Mark - The worst of it is my throat.  I've been waking up every morning lately with a killer sore throat, and oftentimes I wake up in the middle of the night as well.  Gotta figure something out for that...

---

Speaking of cold and wet...  What a day for a 3hr run.  Drizzling from the first minute and literally didn't let up - in fact, it just got steadily heavier - for the whole run.  

Set my course to meet up with a trail running group out of VA that was meeting for a Potomac Heritage Trail ---> CO Canal loop.  Four of us broke away pretty early on and were out of sight and earshot within a couple miles.  Had some fun dodging ice patches, sliding on rocks, and navigating swollen stream crossings.  Coming back on the Canal path (flat, straight, a welcome change from 4 miles of adventuring) the other 3 tightened the ratchet a little and had us running a progression run to their turnoff (splits in the mid/low 7s).  

As for me?  I still had 9mi to go to hit my goal of 20 on the day.  It was mentally tough here, as I was cold, wet, and starting to get a bit tired.  Plus going from having company to alone...  I almost threw in the towel and headed straight home (still would have been a 15mi run).  

Glad I gutted it out, as my splits and HR were encouraging (7:50-8:10, 148-150, respectively) and it made up for the awful 20 I had 2 weeks ago.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:34 pm

One word: humidifier.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:One word: humidifier.
That was my thought.  I just wanted some confirmation from the east coasters that I'm not the only one, first.  What a Face

---

Afterthought on the week - first time over 70mi since...  A long time.  A really long time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next