365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebuilding the Run

+6
Mark B
Penelope
Nick Morris
Julie
Jim Lentz
Mike MacLellan
10 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Rebuilding the Run - Page 7 Empty Re: Rebuilding the Run

Post  Tom H Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Tick, tick, tick . . . CIM is getting close.  If I squint, I think I can see the starting line from here.  Today was supposed to be 3 with 3 strides, but I think I've got too much good energy flowing right now and ended up doing 3 at MP.  Multiple times I caught myself and slowed down, only to look again and see I had sped up again.  Good energy, that I can live with.

For all my training cycles I create a spreadsheet of daily workouts I can view on my phone to help me plan and prepare.  It always surprised me when I get to the end and see blank spaces start to appear:
Rebuilding the Run - Page 7 LjMeqQ

That's when it really gets real.  And yes, race bag packing is underway.  On the weather front, it is now projected to be 50* at the start and now mostly cloudy.  I kinda liked it when it was supposed to be in the 40's . . .
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Woo-hoo! The final days of taper! I can smell the excitement from here!

One reminder: Do NOT push to hard in the first half of this race. It'll be so tempting to charge the hills and race down the backside. If you do this, you will blow up. Instead, ease up the hills, pick up the pace on the backsides, and NEGATIVE SPLIT this course. If you do this, your previous PR will be blown to smithereens.

Now go!

(And 50 and cloudy isn't too bad. No need for throw-away gear. Just remember to hydrate.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:22 pm

see you this weekend!! cheers
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Mark B wrote:Woo-hoo! The final days of taper! I can smell the excitement from here!

One reminder: Do NOT push to hard in the first half of this race. It'll be so tempting to charge the hills and race down the backside. If you do this, you will blow up. Instead, ease up the hills, pick up the pace on the backsides, and NEGATIVE SPLIT this course. If you do this, your previous PR will be blown to smithereens.
I am really prone to going out to fast, but this race I've got a secret weapon.  I'm running with a pace leader who comes with some pretty good credentials - Tim Twietmeyer.  His career in running is pretty good:

[*]Western States 100 � 1st place (1992, 1994-1996, and 1998); fifteen top-five finishes, 25 finishes, master's division course record holder (17:17)
[*]Tahoe Rim Trail � first runner to complete in under two days (2005)
[*]The Eagle 100-Mile Trail Run � 1st place and course record (1997)
[*]California 50-Mile Endurance Run � Seven 1st place finishes

And he's run CIM 31 (NOT a typo) times, leading pace groups 13 times.  I'm confident he's got this course figured out and as long as I stay with him I should be able to not overdo it on the front.  On the back, I'm just hoping to hang onto his coattails!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Wow, almost there!  I wish you great weather and a great race!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Tom H wrote:
Mark B wrote:Woo-hoo! The final days of taper! I can smell the excitement from here!

I am really prone to going out to fast, but this race I've got a secret weapon.  I'm running with a pace leader who comes with some pretty good credentials - Tim Twietmeyer.  His career in running is pretty good:

[*]Western States 100 � 1st place (1992, 1994-1996, and 1998); fifteen top-five finishes, 25 finishes, master's division course record holder (17:17)
[*]Tahoe Rim Trail � first runner to complete in under two days (2005)
[*]The Eagle 100-Mile Trail Run � 1st place and course record (1997)
[*]California 50-Mile Endurance Run � Seven 1st place finishes

And he's run CIM 31 (NOT a typo) times, leading pace groups 13 times.  I'm confident he's got this course figured out and as long as I stay with him I should be able to not overdo it on the front.  On the back, I'm just hoping to hang onto his coattails!

You've got Twietmeyer?!? You are the luckiest SOB on the planet. Do NOT go out ahead of him, even if it seems he is going too slow. Let him set the pace. He knows exactly what he's doing and will get you there at the goal time, if not a little faster. If you want to pull away, do it in the last four miles and hang on for dear life, because a running legend will be on your heels.

Last edited by Mark B on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Wow - how cool, Tom!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:52 pm

OK, the work is done, the hay is in the barn, and the hamstrings are roasting over an open fire. Bib number 3488 and I have a race to run tomorrow.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Tom H wrote:OK, the work is done, the hay is in the barn, and the hamstrings are roasting over an open fire. Bib number 3488 and I have a race to run tomorrow.

You've got this, Tom. Have a great race!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Good luck, Tom and Michael too!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Good luck, Tom and Michael too!

+1 Run fast, run safe and most importantly have fun!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Go go go go go go go!!!  Enjoy it.  Remember, the last hill of any significance is after the drop coming out of FO (mile 11ish?).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:46 pm

You're goin' to Boston!!!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Stud.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, I pulled it off.  CIM ended up with a 3:37:35, good enough for a BQ.  It was the hardest marathon I've ever run; I was ready to throw in the towel at mile 15 or so, but I guess I'm just too stubborn.  I'd trained for this hard and I wasn't going to let the training be wasted.  The hamstring injury 4 weeks ago had a definite impact on my endurance, and I think that is what made it so tough in the last half.  The legs are totally shredded right now, but the good news is the hamstring held up just fine.  I'll get a race report up soon, but am a bit pooped at this time Smile
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Woohoo!!!!  See you in 2016!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 pm

OK, race report is up.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Today my body is telling me that I indeed ran a race hard. Everything from the waist down is in one way achy or sore, but nothing feels injured. That's really good news. So I was wondering as I was going up the stairs to the second story for the umpteenth time today, whose stupid idea was it to get a two-story house anyway?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Tom H wrote:Today my body is telling me that I indeed ran a race hard. Everything from the waist down is in one way achy or sore, but nothing feels injured. That's really good news. So I was wondering as I was going up the stairs to the second story for the umpteenth time today, whose stupid idea was it to get a two-story house anyway?

Because on days like this, it reminds you that you're alive. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
Tom H wrote:Today my body is telling me that I indeed ran a race hard. Everything from the waist down is in one way achy or sore, but nothing feels injured. That's really good news. So I was wondering as I was going up the stairs to the second story for the umpteenth time today, whose stupid idea was it to get a two-story house anyway?

Because on days like this, it reminds you that you're alive. Very Happy

+1 Enjoy those stairs!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind words regarding the race here and on the race report!

Wow, this has been the most significant sustained post-race discomfort yet.  I'll take that as a sign of a well run race as it is tired/worked muscles and not injuries.  Started to see some signs of loosening calves yesterday and this morning is even better.  I'm having some enforced total rest with two days of babysitting a sick granddaughter and today a storm worthy of an -aggedon ending.  

Took the dogs out on a walk to try and beat the rain.  Wind was blowiing at 30+ mph with gusts up to 50.  At one point during a gust my dog's ears which normally hang down were blown straight up - she looked like she was surprised!  We failed on the whole "beating the rain" thing as it came in faster than expected.  We all three looked like drowned rats when we got home.

I haven't yet figured out my recovery plan.  I'm in no rush to hurry back to training after the post HM injury - old dogs can learn new tricks.  Suggestions from the more experienced welcome.  Factor to consider, I may be running a 50-miler on April 4 Shocked.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:09 pm

I've continued with the total rest concept with only dog walks to stretch out the legs.  I'm starting to get the itch to get going again and things are close to back to normal in the whining legs department.  May consider a short run in the next day or two to see how things are shaking out.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 am

It is officially time to bring this chapter of my running career to a close.  I accomplished what I set out to do in rebuilding my run, so now it is time for the next chapter.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7