365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1L Takes Manhattan

+16
Penelope
Schuey
KBFitz
fostever
mul21
Gobbles
Tom H
Chris M
JohnP
Julie
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Jim Lentz
ounce
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
20 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

1L Takes Manhattan - Page 5 Empty Re: 1L Takes Manhattan

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:49 pm

I won't argue with your assessment of the race if it was based on how you felt...but I'd take those numbers any day! Looks like a well executed pre-marathon half to me.

Hope the back gets to feeling better.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Michele, no matter how you look at it, you did great on this half. You're in a good position to hit your target time.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 am

This has been a very crazy week mostly due to the weather and the high school championships in just about every fall sport.  Monday was a rest day and I also went to my (other) massage therapist.  She is a miler that I knew from Atlanta, so I know that she is more tuned into runner issues.  I knew that my tight lower back issues were due to tight QL and glute medius muscles, so I had her work specifically in that area.  Felt much better when I left.  

Tuesday we were due for our weekly track workout  - gearing down to 1 x 2K, 1 x 1mile, and 1 x 1k - but not only was the weather miserable, but there was a soccer game or football game occurring at every local track around.  We showed up at our normal track, drove to the next one, ran to the 3rd one, only to find them all occupied.  Not only that the rain was coming down in buckets with a 10 mph wind off the lake and temps in the high 40s.  What fun! My normal group ended up running 5 slow miles (slow because of the wind, cold, footing, and darkness), but we laughed, had fun and did it.  The reward was to meet at the local brewery, but when we arrived the place was packed so we all just headed home to warm showers instead.

Based on that, I ended up doing my speedwork on Wednesday on the dreadmill.  It was still raining and cold and I went online to check and the local soccer matches were still occurring that night.  I also drove by the high school in the morning to see that the temporary bleachers were still up and out into lane 3, etc.  Never mind dealing with that and the wind, I figured I could get it done indoors.  I ended up running the 2K at 7:35 pace, the 1 mile at 7:10 pace and the 1K at 6:50 pace.  I figured this was the right range and I only did 200 m in between.  Overall I ran 5 total miles in 40 min.  Funny as I remember when that was a training run!  

Today it looks like an easy run yet again maybe with some faster miles at the end.  The rain has finally stopped and it is a bit warmer (it is supposed to get up to 60F) today.  It looks like Saturday will be the warmest of the week (up to 70F again) and I hope it is as the current long range forecast for NY is a low in the 50s with temps going into the 60s.  I have the luxury of starting at 9:40 am, but still, I've gotten used to colder temps so 60s might feel warm.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Regarding the Half, I think it's a sign of high fitness right now that you were able to put down a great time while not feeling it. I think this bodes very well for your Full.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Well, it was a beautiful evening last night, so we ended up repeating last Thursday night's workout running 7 miles with 5 at tempo pace.  I ran with two women that are a bit slower than I, so I slowed my pace a bit from last week, but we still ran 8 min miles which felt very good even after doing speedwork the day before.  I thought to myself that it would be so great to feel that good at that pace during a marathon again - well, maybe I'll feel that good at marathon pace.

So far the weather is looking a bit warmer than I've gotten used to for NYC, but the weather is always a question until race morning, so we will see.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

And no Taper Madness here!

So Ohio high school championships are going on now.  I guess so with the cold weather coming.  How many games in a season does a high school team play, before the playoffs?  I know Texas goes well into December, when the championship games are played in a dome or retractable roof stadium before Christmas.  It's like a 4 week playoff.  And we're a wee bit warmer, certainly.

Good luck in NY, too.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Good work on getting the speedwork in, and on your nice tempo run. You're in a good position to do well in NYC.

I'm intrigued by your using a massage therapist. I've never tried one myself. Is it a big help, and is it covered by insurance?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Mark B wrote:Good work on getting the speedwork in, and on your nice tempo run. You're in a good position to do well in NYC.

I'm intrigued by your using a massage therapist. I've never tried one myself. Is it a big help, and is it covered by insurance?

Yes.  Probably not, unless you can get a doctor to write a script for it, then some of the cost is decreased.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:14 pm

ounce wrote:And no Taper Madness here!

So Ohio high school championships are going on now.  I guess so with the cold weather coming.  How many games in a season does a high school team play, before the playoffs?  I know Texas goes well into December, when the championship games are played in a dome or retractable roof stadium before Christmas.  It's like a 4 week playoff.  And we're a wee bit warmer, certainly.

Good luck in NY, too.
Actually, they are for soccer, xc, and any other fall sport except varsity football - those don't start until late November.
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Good work on getting the speedwork in, and on your nice tempo run. You're in a good position to do well in NYC.

Yes.  Probably not, unless you can get a doctor to write a script for it, then some of the cost is decreased.
I use a foam roller almost daily, but when I just can't get to something and it threatens to shut me down, I head to one of two massage therapists that I use.  I find that it helps me a lot and as for insurance, I'm sue it would, but I never actually submit it as I'd never meet my deductible anyway.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:21 am

You do sound well prepared for a great run in NY! Enjoy.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:08 pm

last longish run this morning (12 miles) before NY, and the easy 9:18 pace felt like crap.  There is no possible way that I can run 26.2 next Sunday - nope, not ever.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:38 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:last longish run this morning (12 miles) before NY, and the easy 9:18 pace felt like crap.  There is no possible way that I can run 26.2 next Sunday - nope, not ever.

And taper madness strikes again...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 am

nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:last longish run this morning (12 miles) before NY, and the easy 9:18 pace felt like crap.  There is no possible way that I can run 26.2 next Sunday - nope, not ever.

And taper madness strikes again...

Yup. yesterday's 6 felt real easy, but it was a recovery run after all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:12 pm

I think you're going to do great! I just hate what tapering does to the brain.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Julie wrote:I think you're going to do great! I just hate what tapering does to the brain.

No matters and I am coming down with a cold as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Julie wrote:I think you're going to do great! I just hate what tapering does to the brain.

Noo! I caught a cold to take the bullet for you, Michele! So take 10,000,000,000 grams of Vitamin C, drink 50 gallons of chicken soup, get 18 hours of sleep for the next three nights.. and you should be fine! Suspect

Hm. Taper madness may be catching...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am

Last speed session last night, and although it seemed slower than the last couple, I'm actually thinking different.  After all, we never get to run in lane one (only on the curves) and seem to be mostly in lane 3 and weaving around HS band members with tubas for quite a bit.  Mr. Garmin seemed to indicate that we were right on target.  Cool thing as the weather cleared up just in time for our speed session and as we are the only group left to "race", it was a welcome site.  It has seemed like every Tuesday we have had some sort of weather event right down to the pouring rain last week.  We have had several workouts where we ran in between storms or were rained on, and it looked like this one would be no different.  However, about 15 min before we were to get started, the rain stopped and there was a rainbow in the sky.  Very cool.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:35 am

Nice! Now, let's hope the weather cooperates for NYC this weekend.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 pm

I hope your cold is completely gone by the race and for good weather, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Noo! I caught a cold to take the bullet for you, Michele! So take 10,000,000,000 grams of Vitamin C, drink 50 gallons of chicken soup, get 18 hours of sleep for the next three nights.. and you should be fine! Suspect

Hm. Taper madness may be catching...

Mark seems to be proving the new theory of Sympathy Taper Madness.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Cold is definitely gone - yeah.  Last 4 miles with 2 at tempo pace (7:40 and 7:27), and I guess I'm ready.  Made sure to run along the lake to feel the wind (which is always in your face no matter what).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Good news that the cold is gone.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Getting closer!!! NYC!!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:18 pm

You're ready! Now sleep well these last nights.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Suh-WEET!! You are ready to rock!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life