365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onward & Upward to Vermont

+3
Mike MacLellan
ounce
Alex Kubacki
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Onward & Upward to Vermont - Page 2 Empty Re: Onward & Upward to Vermont

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:40 am

And just like that it's over. With about 4-5 miles to go in my 50K I rolled my ankle bad. Limped in for a 6:38 finish (was just a training run so not racing it). Swelled up pretty good and am now in a soft cast. That's likely it for VT. Not sure when I can run again. I can't even bike, walk, do much of anything. That's two years in a row now. I think I'm being told something about trying for this 50M distance.

The run wasn't going great regardless. Two seperate times I got stung on the head by a hornet. When I went to fish out my first SCap I realized I left them in the car. A couple of spills left me with a gash on my shin. Just a fun day in the woods.

The course was a little technical in places but mostly runnable. Problem is when I was younger I tore ligaments in both ankles and they're very weak now. I do wobble board stuff but the best way to strengthen them is consistant trail running. Unforutnately I have none near me. Being on a trail once a week for the past couple of months wasn't going to do it.

One thing that was cool was a couple got married at the start line in the woods and then ran the race. She wore all white racing gear and he had all black.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Oh, man, that REALLY sucks!  Yeah, maybe your body is telling you something.  Hope you can heal completely.  Crying or Very sad
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:25 pm

That really is a bummer!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 am

Very sorry to hear this Alex. And you got stung twice also! Bummer.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:50 am

The swelling has gone down but it's still black and blue. Tried spinning a bit on the bike but that was a no go. Hopefully I can do something this weekend. I've already bagged VT. Just hoping to be able to get in some speed races this fall.  I think I'm going to stick to a road 50 when I try to do this for a third time next year.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:22 pm

Mark has a lot of exercises for strengthening lower legs, since he was infirmed.  That is, if you're looking for that kind of stuff.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2