365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Energy Gels and Recovery Drinks

+7
Jerry
carleenp
healdgator
Mark B
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
11 posters

Go down

Energy Gels and Recovery Drinks Empty Energy Gels and Recovery Drinks

Post  Nick Morris Wed May 21, 2014 10:17 am

I was wondering if there are any new products out there that people have tried and liked.  I am always looking for new/advanced products.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Energy Gels and Recovery Drinks Empty Re: Energy Gels and Recovery Drinks

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am

I have been experimenting with the UCan product line.  It is a "drink" rather than an energy gel for long runs and then there is a recovery drink product as well.  I didn't use it enough times to trust it for Boston, but I did use the recovery drink afterwards.  This is the same line that Meb uses, but I tried it long before I knew that.

http://generationucan.com/

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed May 21, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 am

I use the S!Caps electrolyte replacement capsules during a long run or race.  The capsules have no taste, of course, and they're portable!  I tried Nuun, but I don't carry a water bottle with me, so it doesn't work in that way for me.

As far as Generation UCan, I have used the Superstarch powder for a 30K race and Houston.  It was recommended to me by other LC/HF runners as a slow release carb vehicle.  It's chalky as can be, so it's not the easiest thing to swallow, but I had no revolts from my system, either.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed May 21, 2014 11:43 am

I'm still trying to figure out if there's a benefit to S-Caps vs. Endurolytes. There's more stuff in Endurolytes, but does it make any difference?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed May 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Mark B wrote:I'm still trying to figure out if there's a benefit to S-Caps vs. Endurolytes. There's more stuff in Endurolytes, but does it make any difference?

I used S-caps (based on a recommendation from somebody here) for Disney after crashing hard 17 miles into Flying Pig.  I didn't crash at Disney, so they must work.  It's science.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 pm

healdgator wrote:
Mark B wrote:I'm still trying to figure out if there's a benefit to S-Caps vs. Endurolytes. There's more stuff in Endurolytes, but does it make any difference?

I used S-caps (based on a recommendation from somebody here) for Disney after crashing hard 17 miles into Flying Pig.  I didn't crash at Disney, so they must work.  It's science.

I like it Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 21, 2014 2:25 pm

As someone who needs potassium way more than the other stuff, I use s-caps and they were recommended to me by an ultra runner who had similar problems.  I also continue to take the magnesium, calcium, and zinc supplement and I have not had cramping issues in a very long time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I have been experimenting with the UCan product line.  It is a "drink" rather than an energy gel for long runs and then there is a recovery drink product as well.  I didn't use it enough times to trust it for Boston, but I did use the recovery drink afterwards.  This is the same line that Meb uses, but I tried it long before I knew that.

http://generationucan.com/
Interesting! I like the idea of being able to drink this before the race and then maybe just once during. I'm going to give it a try this summer!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed May 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
As someone who needs potassium way more than the other stuff, I use s-caps and they were recommended to me by an ultra runner who had similar problems.  I also continue to take the magnesium, calcium, and zinc supplement and I have not had cramping issues in a very long time.

How often do you take S-Caps? I take them like kids take M&M, otherwise my calves just cramp the first quarter mile in the morning. This is my drug now. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu May 22, 2014 1:26 am

Since hammer came out with their peanut butter gel with protein in it I have been using them and like them a lot. I have also mixed it with one of there berry flavored to make a pb&j without the bread yummy.

Also I have now switched to their new product Endurolytes extreme capsules. They have 3x the sodium and potassium. Which means now I only have to take 1 vs. taking 3 capsules of their regular Endurolytes per hour. Which in returns makes it much more manageable to take during races. Used them in Boston for the first time and worked well.

There are a couple others I take from Hammer during training and races will post later from my computer.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 am

Schuey wrote:Since hammer came out with their peanut butter gel with protein in it I have been using them and like them a lot. I have also mixed it with one of there berry flavored to make a pb&j without the bread yummy.

Also I have now switched to their new product Endurolytes extreme capsules. They have 3x the sodium and potassium. Which means now I only have to take 1 vs. taking 3 capsules of their regular Endurolytes per hour. Which in returns makes it much more manageable to take during races. Used them in Boston for the first time and worked well.

There are a couple others I take from Hammer during training and races will post later from my computer.

Endurolyte extreme...seems much easier to use during races.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 am

Has anyone ever tried SaltStick Caps PLUS?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Plain ol' maltodextrin when on the bike.  Requires a lot of water (~16% solution) though, so it could be impractical for running.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Plain ol' maltodextrin when on the bike.  Requires a lot of water (~16% solution) though, so it could be impractical for running.
Try the UCan product as it is maltodextrin and may not need as much water.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu May 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Plain ol' maltodextrin when on the bike.  Requires a lot of water (~16% solution) though, so it could be impractical for running.
Checked out the site - funny how they never say exactly what it is.  I guess I have to keep in mind that on a ride, I typically have 2 bottles (24oz each) with 250-350kcal in each...  Which would equate to ~30oz for a marathon, at my running intake.  Still a lot to carry, but not as bad as I thought.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:13 pm

So, I purchased SaltStick Caps PLUS and tried it for the first time yesterday during my 14 mile run. It was warm and humid, so I think it was a perfect day for them. Everything worked great, as I seemed to keep my electrolyte levels up with no cramping. I also noticed that my calf twitching post run was very minimal, instead of an entire day of twitching.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:32 pm

I ran a half yesterday and used the S-caps for the first time, and really liked them. I used to use something that was in tablet form, but that was more difficult to handle than the capsules, which are better.

I can't say that they worked, but I ran a nice race in pretty good conditions, though you could certainly feel the effects of the sun, and had no cramping issues whatsoever, and cramping has been the bane of my existence in the half and especially the full. They say all the science proves that it's not the sodium, and is instead fatigue, but I have to say it seems to help me a lot.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
Checked out the site - funny how they never say exactly what it is.  I guess I have to keep in mind that on a ride, I typically have 2 bottles (24oz each) with 250-350kcal in each...  Which would equate to ~30oz for a marathon, at my running intake.  Still a lot to carry, but not as bad as I thought.

I believe it's non-GMO corn starch...at least the Superstarch is non-GMO corn starch.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am

I just started on the s-caps. All the powerade-like sports drinks make me sick so I'm excited. I eat raisins, too, not like a new food but cheap and full of sugar!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down