365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival of the fittest

+11
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
Nick Morris
Tom H
mountandog
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
15 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Survival of the fittest - Page 4 Empty Re: Survival of the fittest

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:Very disappointing 10K this morning.  It was part of the local series and I participated primarily to connect up with the running community...I knew I wasn't ready to race.  But I was still disappointed in my results.  1:00:37  Slowest 10K ever!  That said the course was long and VERY hilly and also included about a mile of rough dirt road.  In addition I did some very stupid things leading up to the start.  I had another full day trip to Sandy to help my Mom on Wednesday.  I planned to run after I got home but it was to late.  I went out for my scheduled easy run on Friday with a few strides mixed in and I pushed way to long and hard doing the strides.  I knew right away that I'd overdone it!  I know better than to try and make up for a missed run...especially right before a race.  Then this morning I convinced myself that with the late start I could eat breakfast.  I paid for both mistakes.

On the bright side...I did connect up with lots of folks and everyone was quite encouraging.  I am glad I participated.  AND hopefully I learned my lesson and I won't make those stupid mistakes again.  It was the hills that did me in...I finished quite well...just had to much time to make up at that point.

We'll chalk this one up as a good training run and a nice social outing.

Wait, wait, wait! Killer hills, rough earthen surfaces... you do realize that pretty much describes a trail run, right? Which means your road racing times go out the window. So forget about that! You got a great workout, met some nice people, and learned a few things along the way. It's all good.

That Body By Irrigation Pipe® program must be quite effective. You really ought to see if you can figure out how to brand yourself as a coach and get people to pay to come out and move pipe for you. (Crazy thing is, it's not that crazy. You could even open up a Farmer's Tan Salon® on the side!) Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 am

Ok, Nancy we are alike in beating ourselves up over good efforts.  Let's try to stop now ok?  You did a great job over what seems like a course that I would avoid and you met new running friends.  Nothing could really be better.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:02 am

You've got plenty of time before Boston and one race does not make a runner. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Ok, Nancy we are alike in beating ourselves up over good efforts.  Let's try to stop now ok?  You did a great job over what seems like a course that I would avoid and you met new running friends.  Nothing could really be better.

Nick Morris wrote:You've got plenty of time before Boston and one race does not make a runner.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

+1
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Mark, Michele, Doug & Nick. I know you all have good points and I accept them with appreciation but we can't forget the fact that I did a couple dumb things leading into this race. AND I'VE USED TO MANY EXCUSES FOR WAY TO LONG THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! I need to accept the things that are going on in my life and work around them.

After a couple years of dismal marathon training when I didn't even make it to the starting line I was able to commit to my training and make good decisions and the result was an awesome race and a BQ. I know that if I recommit to my training I can enjoy Boston. That is my goal...to be prepared enough to enjoy Boston.

That said...

My muscles were screaming after my core work on Monday...oooops I may have done a bit more than I should have. I cramped up a bit during my Tuesday swim but was able to work it out and got in 2300 yards. The weather was beautiful Tuesday evening so I finished off the day with a nice easy 9 mile bike ride. I haven't been on the bike since the triathlon in Sept. If felt good. I'll put the bike on the trainer and use it indoors a couple times a week now that the weather is turning.

Wednesday was another all day trip to help my Mom but no excuses. We got home at 3:00 and I headed out for a very windy 5 miles. The weather station indicated winds of 20 mph with gusts to 30. It wasn't a fast run but it was a run!

Thursday I was back at the pool for 2000 yds.

Friday was core/strength day again. We maintained the same level and I can tell I did it but I'm not sore like I was after Monday! We had appointments in Bend most of the day Friday but I got back in time to participate in a fundraiser for the middle school athletics. It was a 5K and it was the most hilarious event I've ever done. The runners were primarily kids, parents & teachers. Most of the community members walked. I can't begin to describe it. Everyone was laughing and teasing. One kid...he was maybe 6 or 7 ran off and left his Mom. Some random adult paired up with him and ran with him to the end...he placed 3rd! Two girls cut the course short and we all promised our silence so they could play a trick on their teacher. It was the most fun I've had in a race in a long time...and I ran pretty well so that was a nice bonus.

Oh...and I'm back to doing the stretching my PT recommended to keep my Plantar Fasciitis in check...

It's pretty gloomy looking out there this morning but I'm going to head out and run in a bit. I need to get a longer run in this week but I don't normally run two days in a row so I don't want to over do it. I may head into town and see how the trail looks after the rain we got yesterday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:48 am

Awesome run on Saturday. The sun started to peak through the fog and I headed down into Willow Creek Canyon.

My longest run in ages has been 7 miles so the goal was a gradual increase...maybe 8? I just couldn't bring myself to turn around and head back. I finally came to my senses and headed back as the GPS hit 4.63. I did struggle on the way back...not the heart/lungs...I kept the pace down...but the legs. They were weak/wobbly and I struggled in the rough areas. I popped out of the canyon to roaring winds and was very thankful I hadn't chosen a road run! Finished the run at 9 miles and walked the last .25 to the car. It was slower (11:07) than my last (shorter) outing into the canyon but I was pretty happy with that.

I was a bit concerned that I'd done more than I should but I seem to be fine. I think I went about as close as possible to the edge without going over.

Core/strength this morning and a run later today...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Soreness is pretty much gone but I can definitely feel the fatigue associated with starting back up the core/strength workout plus increased miles. It was a bit hard to hit my paces on Mon and Wed but I remember feeling this way during training last year and it lead to a fantastic marathon so...

Monday - 4 miles with 6 x 400 @ 2:02. I did these after my core/strength workout and I do these on the road on rolling hills so it's hard to compare each interval but was pretty pleased overall. The last couple were still a good pace but I'm not sure I can maintain that pace as I add more intervals. I think more even if they are slower will be the goal.

Tuesday - Swim 2375 yds. Steady, endurance workout.

Wednesday - Core/Strength and then had to hit the road fairly quickly. Half mile warm-up and then 5 miles at 9:38 with a half mile cool down. I had been hoping to keep this under 9:30 but knew that wasn't in the cards so I started out at 9:45 and was able to maintain that pace for the first 3 miles, gradually speed up and finish with a 9:14 mile. Not where I'd like to be but realistically looking at my training both this year and last year I can't be to upset with that. Running smart is probably more important than running fast at this point.

Thursday - Swim 1900 yds. Lots of work with the fins. I found muscles that I haven't been using.

Friday - Core/Strength It's raining today so the trail is probably not the best option especially by myself. I'm considering just taking it easy the rest of the day and running tomorrow when the weather is a bit better and my legs are a bit fresher. We'll see what the afternoon brings.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:51 pm

Looks like a great mix of workouts to keep your body strong.  How do you manage to keep the focus on the 'non-running' aspects of fitness.  I think I've got tunnel vision.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Tom H wrote:Looks like a great mix of workouts to keep your body strong.  How do you manage to keep the focus on the 'non-running' aspects of fitness.  I think I've got tunnel vision.

Thanks Tom. I trained with tunnel vision for several years. I've always been just a 3 day a week runner...for a lot of reasons. I did some swimming and biking but the addition of the core/strength and allowing myself to look at the bigger picture rather than each individual training run is all quite new. I'd been floundering for a couple years and finally decided to have a coach look at my training plan as I made one last attempt for a BQ. She didn't change much but she did insist that I warm up and cool down which increased my miles slightly. She also suggested that I run my intervals slower but with less rest and do more of them. The biggest change was the addition of a short (only 45 minute) core/strength workout 3 days a week. I complained that I couldn't hit my training targets on such tired legs but she insisted the strength was more important. I went into the marathon without a lot of confidence as I hadn't been hitting the paces I wanted. Boy am I glad I listened and obeyed!!! I got my official "Confirmation of Acceptance" in the mail today.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 am

Nancy, I'm interested in this 3x/wk strength/core idea.  I used to do Pilates 2-3x/wk but my instructor bailed on the teaching and the replacement just wasn't what I wanted, so I think it is time I go to Plan B, and you may have just given me the kernel of an idea on how to approach it.  I know a lot of different ways to work the core, but does your strength training focus on the legs with things like lunges, squats, wall sits, etc., or it is more of a full body strength program addressing arms, chest, back, etc?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Tom H wrote:Nancy, I'm interested in this 3x/wk strength/core idea.  I used to do Pilates 2-3x/wk but my instructor bailed on the teaching and the replacement just wasn't what I wanted, so I think it is time I go to Plan B, and you may have just given me the kernel of an idea on how to approach it.  I know a lot of different ways to work the core, but does your strength training focus on the legs with things like lunges, squats, wall sits, etc., or it is more of a full body strength program addressing arms, chest, back, etc?

I do a short (45 minute workout) that a personal trainer/coach put together specifically for me. The rules were 1) no more than 45 minutes 2) I had to be able to do it at home with the gear I had 3) it had to be appropriate for my husband as well as myself 4) it should address my specific weaknesses 5) it should address maintaining an active lifestyle as I aged in addition to running specific goals.

This is what she came up with:
Upper extremity wall slides
Low back extensions
Step up/down with side arm raise with weights
Forward plank - adding arm/leg lifts as able
Single leg squats
Pushups
Bosu ball balance one leg between pushup sets
Single leg bridge - adding small ball under foot as able
1 arm rows on bench with opposite leg extended
Back slide lunge with bicep curl
Back flys on big exercise ball
Reverse oblique crunch
Dead bug on back with weights
Side plank - adding leg lifts as able

It's kind of a mix of flexibility, balance, core and upper/lower body strength stuff. She did a good job of combining upper and lower body stuff in one exercise to use our time efficiently. I have a tendency to roll my shoulders forward and slouch so I'm working on that and she's pointed out things I need to watch for. Marty has some flexibility issues and so the first two are to work on that but I find them useful as well. It's not hard or very long but it works well for us.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:35 am

It's been way to long since I reported my runs...

We interrupt this very boring blog to report an awesome weekend!

Marty loaded up his horses and mules and headed out for his annual elk hunting trip on Wednesday.  When the cat's away the mice will play...

Thursday I headed to the Oregon Coast Aquarium (Newport) for a sleepover in the SHARK TUNNEL with my 3 granddaughters (ages 6,8 & 10).  My Mom (age 76) joined us.  We all had a blast!

Friday morning we passed the girls off to their other grandma and headed to the hotel for a shower and quiet time!  We met my brother for lunch (slumgullion mmmm)  He was up from New Mexico.

Saturday morning was beach time with the boys (age 6 mos and 2 yrs) then breakfast on the bay with my brother.  We finally decided we needed to dress for my niece's wedding...500 people!!!!  Boring!!!!  Very late night!

Sunday Mom and I were up reasonably early to drive to Hillsboro to see my daughters new house.  We had plans to take Mom to the symphony.  Katie chose a very low key one...  It was part of the kid's concert series and it was awesome!  Finished the weekend with a bite at the Heathman Hotel.

Oh...did you notice I didn't tell you what I did on Friday afternoon?  That's the really awesome part of the weekend!  I left Mom to visit with my brother, slipped on a very bright shirt, packed my cell phone, ID and emergency numbers and headed for a run.  I ran from our hotel to Yaquina Head.  I was on Hwy 101 for just over half a mile but I had checked out the shoulder before I left and it was pretty wide.  First stop was the light house...then a single track trail to a lookout on the hill above the lighthouse...then the stairs to the tide pools where I stopped and watched the seals play...then a gravel road to the hill with all the communication towers...then another tide pool area where I found more seals playing...then back to the hotel.  I stopped my watch for a bit at the lookouts and for quite a while at the tide pools.  It was a tough run and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!  7 miles total on the GPS
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:41 am

How the mice DID play!  I'd never heard of slumguillon, but Al Gore's invention told me what is in it and that DOES look yummy.

Very nice weekend, indeed!  And a nice job on the 7.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Sounds like fun, Nancy!  I remember sleeping in the Tennessee Aquarium with my daughter and her GS troop when she was about that age (and GA didn't yet have an aquarium) - much fun!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Sounds like fun! I bet my daughter would love the aquarium.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:20 pm

I didn't know they did sleepovers in the shark tunnel. That would be so cool! Except the kids who do it will never understand the significance of some gruff mafiosi threatening that someone would "sleep with the fishes."

Hope you're all buttoned up for this cold blast heading our way. We're getting a ton of wind on our side of the Cascade Range, but the cold hasn't quite made it here het.

Nice job on the core work! It reminds me that I need to get back to it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks Doug, Michele, Julie and Mark...it was a fun weekend but in all honesty the run was the highlight.

Mark...the sleepovers are awesome.  $60 covers pizza, a scavenger hunt, classroom activity, breakfast, and behind the scenes tour in the morning...all without the normal crowds.  AND admission the next day if you want.  You have to have 20 people for a private sleepover...they are a popular birthday party.  We joined one of the public sleepovers...the homeschool evening even though the girls aren't homeschooled.  Highly recommended and they'll cater to the appropriate age group.

Interesting week...after looking at the weather forecast I decided that tractor work needed to be a very high priority.

Monday I managed to squeeze in both my core work and a 4.25 mile run with a couple miles under 8:30.  Rest of the day on the tractor.

Tuesday was swimming day but the aerobics group convinced us to join them...it was hilarious!  Back on the tractor...

Wednesday I felt like I needed to get a real swim in...2100 yds with some fun fast stuff mixed in.  Watched the youngest grandson for a bit and then on the tractor as soon as it warmed up enough to get it started...finished the field at 7:45 and the snow started flying a couple hours later.

Thursday I just couldn't get motivated...with all the hours in the tractor my muscles were sore and tight, I was dehydrated, and hadn't eaten well.  The only activity was a few minutes sledding with the kids.

Friday I did a bit better.  Core work and 5.25 miles on the treadmill.  I hate treadmill running and avoid it at all costs but if I'm going to be ready for Boston I'm going to have to do some things I don't normally do.  I'm a fair weather runner...that's not going to work this winter!  I find treadmill running difficult both mentally and physically but I did survive...

We ended up with 11" of snow.  Low this morning -3.  Predicted high 22.  I'm going to have to get this winter running figured out!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Another 5.25 miles on the treadmill on Sunday morning. I don't know if it's mental or if the treadmill is not calibrated but I struggle to run as quickly on the treadmill as I do outside. It was a decent run though all things considered.

Core this morning and then I was stuck in a farm safety seminar all day. Hard for me to sit still but it was a good presentation and it is an important topic.

A combination of road conditions and farm/family obligations have prevented me from getting to Bend to purchase the few things I need to attempt an outdoor run. I'll keep plugging away on the treadmill until the weather improves a bit and/or I get to town for some cold weather gear.

Lowest temp was -8 on Sunday morning. High today was 17.

Oh...I do have some news though...I won free entry into the Canyon Rumble Frozen Half. Smile It's a tough trail half on Dec 6th... I've kind of had my eye on it for a bit but hadn't pulled the trigger and sent in my registration. I won't be ready to make it a race but I think I can handle it if I'm conservative. I just home the weather improves!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:43 am

I'm with you Nancy, it seems harder to sustain a faster pace on the treadmill for some reason.  Maybe one doesn't get that feedback of going faster as things whizz by, or maybe in the back of our minds it just seems silly to run faster to get nowhere.  Congrats on winning the entry, although the name "Canyon Rumble Frozen Half" does not really sound appealing to me Very Happy .  I like the sound of "Hawaiian Tropical Coconut Half" much better.  Perhaps because of the swim-up pool bar they would have at the finish line.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 am

One thing to remember while running on a treadmill is that it's probably 68-70 degrees inside, with no wind -- not even the cooling breeze of your own motion. That means your body temperature rises more, which increases the effort level quite a bit and slow you down, especially if you're used to running outside in the 40s and 50s (or lower).

I've gone so far as to set up a fan in the room to help me cool off. Or, you could simply step outside for 2 seconds. Brr! It hasn't gotten any colder than about 20 on this side of the mountains. Still, I'll be glad when we get back to more seasonable temperatures. This is getting old fast.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Tom H wrote:I'm with you Nancy, it seems harder to sustain a faster pace on the treadmill for some reason.  Maybe one doesn't get that feedback of going faster as things whizz by, or maybe in the back of our minds it just seems silly to run faster to get nowhere.  Congrats on winning the entry, although the name "Canyon Rumble Frozen Half" does not really sound appealing to me Very Happy .  I like the sound of "Hawaiian Tropical Coconut Half" much better.  Perhaps because of the swim-up pool bar they would have at the finish line.

For some reason they weren't giving out free entry for warm tropical races...I've had my eye on this local run for a while and I think they knew it. I'm usually out of town in early December but made it known that I was going to be in town. I'd procrastinated on sending in my entry as it was a very cold snowy run last year. I was keeping an eye on the weather. I'm not so sure about this random drawing. They got the best of me I think. I ended up donating more than the entry fee and now I'm committed. But it's for a good cause...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Mark B wrote:One thing to remember while running on a treadmill is that it's probably 68-70 degrees inside, with no wind -- not even the cooling breeze of your own motion. That means your body temperature rises more, which increases the effort level quite a bit and slow you down, especially if you're used to running outside in the 40s and 50s (or lower).

I've gone so far as to set up a fan in the room to help me cool off. Or, you could simply step outside for 2 seconds. Brr! It hasn't gotten any colder than about 20 on this side of the mountains. Still, I'll be glad when we get back to more seasonable temperatures. This is getting old fast.

I do think that has at least some effect on my pace. I was tempted to open the window but that might not be real popular when we got our next electric bill...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 pm

So I did it!!!!

I rummaged through my running, hiking, biking, cross country skiing clothes and put together an outfit that seemed like it might work. Sporthill running pants that I purchased to wear when I rode my bike to the pool on cold mornings, long sleeve turtle neck long underwear for an upper base layer topped by a long sleeve running shirt, Smart Wool socks and beanie, and a pair of my husbands gloves slipped over my running gloves. It actually worked pretty well. I may need to tweak a few things but I was pretty comfortable overall.

4.25 miles @ 10:38 18 degrees at the start. 16 degrees at the finish. Very little wind. I stayed pretty close to home as those roads were less icy and also less traveled...there was absolutely no room on the shoulder to move over for the cars. We still have nearly a foot of snow plus the snow plow berms. The roads were probably 75-80% clear and dry but I did have to choose my route carefully. I did not worry about running the tangents. Smile

It was a fun run...much more satisfying than the treadmill.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:39 am

Woot! That sounds like a blast. Well done!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:59 am

I'd call that a dedicated run(ner).  Seems like a good wardrobe combo for the conditions.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum